PDA

View Full Version : From Marina Del Rey to Anaheim

Pages : [1] 2

Black Pearl
06-22-2005, 08:22 AM
My dad, my bro and I have gone to Catalina Island, the second week in July,on my dads sailboat, for a week, every year for the past five years. We always leave Phoenix on a friday night, get there in the wee hours of saturday morning, (12:30, 1:00), stay at Marina Del Rey all day saturday, and sail to Two Harbors on Sunday. I have thought in the past about renting a car and going to the park on saturday, but I don't want to rent a car to make a 79 mile drive (round trip milage), and then turn it in. Does anyone know the public transportation goes that distance and what routes I would take? Or possibly what the average cab fare is per mile, or even suggestions on cabs? By the way, it would be on the 9th of July, not the following weekend when the throngs show up. Thanks

Malcon10t
06-22-2005, 08:44 AM
My dad, my bro and I have gone to Catalina Island, the second week in July,on my dads sailboat, for a week, every year for the past five years. We always leave Phoenix on a friday night, get there in the wee hours of saturday morning, (12:30, 1:00), stay at Marina Del Rey all day saturday, and sail to Two Harbors on Sunday. I have thought in the past about renting a car and going to the park on saturday, but I don't want to rent a car to make a 79 mile drive (round trip milage), and then turn it in. Does anyone know the public transportation goes that distance and what routes I would take? Or possibly what the average cab fare is per mile, or even suggestions on cabs? By the way, it would be on the 9th of July, not the following weekend when the throngs show up. Thanks
My best guess, going on prior taxi rates from LAX, is about $85 each way.

Black Pearl
06-22-2005, 09:26 AM
for that much I may as well just rent a car...... :|

phoenixfire2k5
06-22-2005, 11:40 AM

Try renting a car through Enterprise. They don't charge for mileage because it is unlimited in California, Nevada, and Arizona. Just for amount of time that you rent it, and they charge you for insurance at a small extra cost.

As far as public transportation is concerned, I believe Marina Del Rey is within the MTA, or Metropolitan Transit Authority of Los Angeles. Go to http://www.mta.net/default.asp and look up their system map which is an adobe acrobat file. There is an MTA bus that connects downtown LA to Disneyland and that is Route 460. If you can find a way to get to that, you'll be set. But tht is a long trip, so car rental might be a better alternative. But if you still want public transportation, you will want to get to the Slauson or Manchester station to pick up the MTA Route 460 Disneyland Express. And from Marina Del Rey to get to at least the Slauson station you will need Route 108. Refer to that site for any further information. There should also be a phone number that you can contact for them.

Black Pearl
06-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks! :p

phoenixfire2k5
06-22-2005, 01:14 PM
But tht is a long trip, so car rental might be a better alternative.

OMG! A typo, made by me. OI EE VAY! :eek: :p

phoenixfire2k5
06-22-2005, 01:15 PM

Welcome! :fez:

phoenixfire2k5
06-22-2005, 01:30 PM

And out of curiousity, you're sailing to Catalina Island? And you're from Phoenix? How do you get there? And what hotel do you usually stay at on the island? I've been trying to plan a weekend trip there and have been looking into hotels there on the island. Went through Yahoo and got a few ideas. But I'm still curious. And yes, I've been to the island before, but it's been a while.

Black Pearl
06-22-2005, 03:16 PM
And out of curiousity, you're sailing to Catalina Island? And you're from Phoenix? How do you get there? And what hotel do you usually stay at on the island? I've been trying to plan a weekend trip there and have been looking into hotels there on the island. Went through Yahoo and got a few ideas. But I'm still curious. And yes, I've been to the island before, but it's been a while.

Well, we take my dads truck and go up there with his yacht club. Its a big sailboat so we sleep on it. You are probably looking into hotels in Avalon. If you don't mind a little more rustic experience, Two Harbors, (on the other side of the island) is a good place to stay and they have a bed & breakfast, although I don't know what it is called, (like I said, I stay on the boat). :cool:

EandCDad
06-22-2005, 03:42 PM
I would definately go with a car rental over a taxi. The taxi cost will be about $160. Hertz, which isn't even a particularly cheap rental company will give you a car for the day for about $50, and I think that might be a little high, some of the cheaper companies like Budget will probably get you down into the $20-$30 range. Most of them should have either unlimited mileage or a mileage allowance that easily accomidates a 80 mile trip.

phoenixfire2k5
06-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Well, we take my dads truck and go up there with his yacht club. Its a big sailboat so we sleep on it. You are probably looking into hotels in Avalon. If you don't mind a little more rustic experience, Two Harbors, (on the other side of the island) is a good place to stay and they have a bed & breakfast, although I don't know what it is called, (like I said, I stay on the boat). :cool:

Sounds like fun.

phoenixfire2k5
06-22-2005, 10:40 PM
I would definately go with a car rental over a taxi. The taxi cost will be about $160. Hertz, which isn't even a particularly cheap rental company will give you a car for the day for about $50, and I think that might be a little high, some of the cheaper companies like Budget will probably get you down into the $20-$30 range. Most of them should have either unlimited mileage or a mileage allowance that easily accomidates a 80 mile trip.

As was said in the original thread, they're only going to be in Marina Del Rey for one day and they do not want to spend the money on a rental car just for one day. Besides, most rental places are closed on Sundays, which means having to return the car on Monday which by that time they want to be heading back or be back on the island. But, the airport office might be open, but I don't know.

EandCDad
06-23-2005, 05:18 AM
As was said in the original thread, they're only going to be in Marina Del Rey for one day and they do not want to spend the money on a rental car just for one day. Besides, most rental places are closed on Sundays, which means having to return the car on Monday which by that time they want to be heading back or be back on the island. But, the airport office might be open, but I don't know.

I didn't realize there was another thread on this subject, I was going on the information written in the original post. I thought Black Pearl's reluctance to rent a car was based on the cost, that some alternate form of transportation might be cheaper. He/she asked about a cab (cost per mile, total cost), so I was just pointing out that taking a cab would be much, much more expensive than renting a car. I guess if most rental places were closed on Sunday (which they are not) then that might be a problem (some places are closed, but most are open, including any associated with airports or hotels and those few that are closed on Sunday typically have drop boxes to return the keys if they are closed.) However, my assumption was that they would rent the car on Saturday morning and return it Saturday night. That way they could get to Disneyland for about $30 round trip instead of the $160 a cab would cost. Obviously, a bus would be cheaper than either of the above two options, but the original poster asked for information and that's what I provided.

WineGrumpy
06-23-2005, 07:14 AM
You may want to check with the local hotels (mainly by the LAX). They offer shuttles to and from Disneyland. It maybe for hotel guests only, but it's worth a call.

SeansMom
06-23-2005, 07:53 AM
What about the train? I don't live in California, so I'm not an expert for your trains down there, but we've used the train for quick trips here and it's worked out well.

hlbtimes2
06-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Maybe you take the city bus to the airport, then catch super shuttle, prime time shuttle or the airport bus? You could probably do it for about $30 a person.

phoenixfire2k5
06-23-2005, 01:31 PM
What about the train? I don't live in California, so I'm not an expert for your trains down there, but we've used the train for quick trips here and it's worked out well.

During the week, Metrolink runs which is similar to Amtrak. But it only runs during the week. And amtrak would just be too expensive. For the time stated, and reluctance to spend too much money for just one day, the cheapest way to go is the MTA bus for a couple of bucks. They charge a small fee for crossing between counties.

Black Pearl
06-23-2005, 02:41 PM
I think I'm going to just do the MTA thing. Although a 45 minute drive becoming a 2 hours "tour" of the Los Angeles area, is enough to make me reconsider, it sounds like a pretty painless experience. I just don't want to rent a car for a 90 minute (both ways) drive.

phoenixfire2k5
06-23-2005, 02:49 PM
I think I'm going to just do the MTA thing. Although a 45 minute drive becoming a 2 hours "tour" of the Los Angeles area, is enough to make me reconsider, it sounds like a pretty painless experience. I just don't want to rent a car for a 90 minute (both ways) drive.

;) Have fun and enjoy!

sediment
06-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Idea #1:
1. Take a cab to LAX. $5 to $10.
2. Take the Airport Bus to Anaheim. $10.
Then do the same for the return.

Idea #2:
Rent the car night before. One day will cost the same as a half-day, and an extra hour or two won't be too much more, depending on the company.

Idea #3:
See if you are on the way for someone here who happens to be going that day.

Maybe we need a "I need a ride to Disneyland" forum?

Black Pearl
06-24-2005, 07:46 AM
I actually think the cab to LAX, then airport bus to Anaheim is a great idea. Would that be a shorter trip than riding MTA everywhere for 2 hours? Thats the only thing I don't like about public transportation. As far as getting rides from MPers, if anyone was going that way and wasn't leary of taking a couple of brothers, (34 & 22 yrs old), that would be nice too.

phoenixfire2k5
06-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Idea #1:
1. Take a cab to LAX. $5 to $10.
2. Take the Airport Bus to Anaheim. $10.
Then do the same for the return.

Idea #2:
Rent the car night before. One day will cost the same as a half-day, and an extra hour or two won't be too much more, depending on the company.

Idea #3:
See if you are on the way for someone here who happens to be going that day.

Maybe we need a "I need a ride to Disneyland" forum?

Cabride to LAX....5 dollars.
Airport Bus to Anaheim.....10 dollars.
Getting a ride to Anacrime with a complete stranger.....Priceless!!
:p

Black Pearl
06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
HaH! That is funny. We'll manage, though.

Black Pearl
06-24-2005, 01:13 PM

Phoenix, I was just looking at your profile because I live in Phoenix and was just a bit bored.....your birthday is Nov 25th? So is mine! I was born in 1970 though....sorry, off topic.....er..... I'm really looking forward to my day trip to Disneyland.

phoenixfire2k5
06-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Phoenix, I was just looking at your profile because I live in Phoenix and was just a bit bored.....your birthday is Nov 25th? So is mine! I was born in 1970 though....sorry, off topic.....er..... I'm really looking forward to my day trip to Disneyland.

Cool. We're both gettin old, aint we? The name phoenix, is in reference to the one that "rises from the ashes". The legendary bird, like in Harry Potter. ;)