PDA

View Full Version : How far in advance do you plan your DLR trip?

Pages : [1] 2

seattlemouse
06-22-2005, 06:31 AM
I love planning vacations and we want to go to DLR just before Christmas this year, probably the first week of December, and stay at the Grand California hotel for 4 nights. However, every time I plan a DLR trip in advance I always find I could have gotten the same or even better deal if I planned two weeks ahead as opposed to 4-6 months ahead. Airline prices will go down at the last minute and I can only get AP rates at the DLR hotels about a month in advance. And we wind up changing our minds about things at the last minute, so I've paid airline fees and hotel booking fees to change dates.

We live in Seattle so going down to California isn't such a big deal.

This year I'm not planning the trip until October or November, but of course, I wonder if I'll miss out on that great deal (like 4th night free).

What do you do?

pisces
06-22-2005, 06:46 AM
How wonderful, so you'll be seeing the Candle Light Vigil?

Last year I started planning one year in advance. Right when I joined this site, I started planning for my return after 25 years. That was the longest year ever. The never-ending election, leap year, I'd been waiting 25 years.......I thought we'd never make it to December.

This year seems, amazingly, just as interminable. My health woes, and money issues are making me wonder if I'll ever see December intact. Money and health problems make everything seem longer.

Wasn't yesterday the longest day of the year? I wish Summer would speed up.

Hopefully, December will get here, and I can say----I made it, and celebrate with my trip to Disneyland.

losaitkens
06-22-2005, 06:46 AM
We are also going for Christmas but in early November. I booked our room at the GCH already but have been told to keep checking back for AP nights and was even told by the reservation agent that I can change it should AP nights become available. The hotels have a pretty liberal cancellation policy so if you do find a better rate, you can usually switch it. Given all that is going on this year I figure it is better to plan ahead. You are right though, sometimes it pays NOT to be a planner!

infinite
06-22-2005, 06:52 AM
It really depends, sometimes just a few months, sometimes over a year (especially if it is a family reunion or holiday event).

We are staying at the GCH in September, and when I booked in May, rooms choices were already pretty slim. It has we worried about crowds but since we are staying over two weekends, it could just be that the weekends were (are going to be) full.

pisces
06-22-2005, 06:53 AM
They are more than flexible.

I found cheaper rates.....while I was staying there. They were more than happy to do the adjustment. Well, I don't know how happy they were; but, after purchasing 7-nights/theme park view, they (Grand Californian) weren't about to give me static.

Is the Summer over yet? Hurry up December! ;)

rentayenta
06-22-2005, 06:54 AM
I started planning our trip for this December last January. I found a killer deal through Expedia for the PPH so I jumped on it! We drive because we have to visit the beach when we are in So Cal so airfare isn't an issue.

I will begin emailing VP with my dining/tree/stocking requests in about October.

This July trip I started planning about 2 months ago when we decided to go.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-22-2005, 07:09 AM
I plan WAY in advance. In fact I had our hotel for our November trip booked as soon as we got back last November, as this trip is annual for us. Our March trip we booked in January as that is when we decided to go. May was a spur of the moment, thankfully Wendi is a good deal seeker.
We fly free, married to a pilot, so thankfully I don't have to worry about plane fares changing etc. But I would say if I did have to worry, I would book the tickets as soon as I was able to pay for them.

Stupid_American
06-22-2005, 07:19 AM
How far in advance do you plan your DLR trip?
Because we are joining with some friends, we've planned this trip for a couple weeks.
Usually we just head to the park on a whim (APs living in Tustin).

disney jones
06-22-2005, 07:35 AM
i start planning the next trip as i'm exiting the park on the current trip (we average monthly visits).

i start thinking about the things we didn't see and do that trip, and start making a mental list of which attractions are priorities for the next one.

Leap for Joy
06-22-2005, 07:38 AM
I'm always planning the next trip, or the next two, so 3-6 months in advance.

Mark Mywords
06-22-2005, 07:47 AM
We start planning about a year in advance. Usually we go right on the edge of Summer, so it's hard to really nail anything down until Disneyland releases some sort of schedule.
Things start really taking shape about 6-7 months in advance. This year (of all years!) was tough. My Mom was very indecisive about whether or not to go. So, we had to wait until March(!) to start booking.

hlbtimes2
06-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Our last trip was booked the end of Oct for a early Dec. trip. We knew for a few months when we wanted to go, but had to wait for dh to get his bonus (gets one in April and one in Oct every year). This year we booked our Oct trip in April- again, becuase of when he got his bonus. Again, we already knew whats days we wanted. We had to plan it between two upcoming weddings, Columbus day, etc.

Family5LovesDisney
06-22-2005, 08:04 AM
I planned a last minute trip with my husband for this month and found prices to be higher with much less availability then when I had planned ahead for our trip in March. There are no rooms available at any of the Disney hotels! Also, I could only get Riverside seating for Fantasmic as the Balcony was sold out.

BTW.........I NORMALLY plan things well in advance. Once I was quoted a certain rate for staying at the Grand Floridian in WDW. I booked it and made a deposit. I found the rate cheaper on Expedia about 6 weeks after that. I called Disney and they adjusted my rate to match the one I had found on Expedia.

AND I have had the SAME THING with airfare. I once bought tickets to Denver well in advance and found that the rate went down the closer the time came to fly. I called US Airways and they gave me a CREDIT for the price difference which I was able to use on a future flight to Orlando.

So I think it doesn't hurt to plan early. You might be able to get price adjustments!

Earkid
06-22-2005, 08:31 AM
We will be at DL for our special 50th Anniversary package trip in late Nov/early Dec. We booked it last June 2004, a year and a half in advance. We had to make the final payment Dec. 2004 a year in advance. We splurged and are staying at the GCH for the first time. This is the first time I have planned a trip that far out and that darn commemorative clock better be worth it!! :D

littlemissgorgeous
06-22-2005, 08:55 AM
I started planning one year in advance, because I wanted to use our timeshare weeks. I think this is a ridiculous long time in advance, I am lucky that I work in my dads company otherwise this would probably not be possible... ;)

ralika
06-22-2005, 08:58 AM
last trip i booked 1 day in advance most i have booked one was 2 weeks i think

phillyorig
06-22-2005, 11:04 AM
I started to plan this trip (june 5-11) back in Oct,2003, when i heard that it was the 50th anniversary.
Getting it really ready, was the day after Cmas,2004.
I made reservations(just in case where we stayed didn't work) and bought food that I could store, and PRAYED our income tax return was enough to cover it!!!!!!! ;)

We didn't buy our tickets till the Thur. before we left. That was the last major purchase to make.

We are already planning a WDW trip for 4/5 yrs from now.
I am already making plans!!!! :)
With a family of 6, have to start saving NOW!!

Have already been on the WDW boards asking questions(havent been there since 92) and found some GREAT HINTS!!!!!
I.E. They have a NO EXPIRE TICKET. You pay a little more but the way prices are rising, for us to buy 2 tickets a year, when we have money, it's the way to go!!!!
I'm already at a budget of $5,000 for 6 of us(in a non Disney hotel. have to wait till the kids go to go there! :crying: )

ralika
06-22-2005, 11:18 AM
how many days are u planing for phil for disneyworld any way

Hawaiian Cinderella
06-22-2005, 11:58 AM
I usually plan our next trip as soon as we get back. Next year we have a family reunion in Las Vegas before we go to Disneyland. I wanted to use miles for 1 plane ticket and buy 5000 miles for another so I booked the flights the day the airlines opened it (330 days in advance) and was able to get the 1 ticket with miles, purchased 5000 miles for 1 ticket at $110 and for the 3rd ticket they charged me $805!!!!!! :eek: (this was for Honolulu to Las Vegas and Orange County to Honolulu :eek: ). I told the ticket agent at the Aloha Airlines ticket counter that I was going to purchase that 3rd ticket on the internet. She claimed it would cost the same especially since it was for Spring Break and all....well it was $690 on the internet!!!! What a RIP OFF....oh well but getting to go to Disneyland is WORTH IT!!!....we already booked out hotel room in Anaheim but still need car, rooms in Vegas and possibly Southwest airfare from Vegas to Orange County which I'm waiting for some kind on one-way special......all of this planning keeps me happy and looking forward to the next time we go thru out the year....

Family5LovesDisney
06-22-2005, 12:28 PM
I started to plan this trip (june 5-11) back in Oct,2003, when i heard that it was the 50th anniversary.
Getting it really ready, was the day after Cmas,2004.
I made reservations(just in case where we stayed didn't work) and bought food that I could store, and PRAYED our income tax return was enough to cover it!!!!!!! ;)

We didn't buy our tickets till the Thur. before we left. That was the last major purchase to make.

We are already planning a WDW trip for 4/5 yrs from now.
I am already making plans!!!! :)
With a family of 6, have to start saving NOW!!

Have already been on the WDW boards asking questions(havent been there since 92) and found some GREAT HINTS!!!!!
I.E. They have a NO EXPIRE TICKET. You pay a little more but the way prices are rising, for us to buy 2 tickets a year, when we have money, it's the way to go!!!!
I'm already at a budget of $5,000 for 6 of us(in a non Disney hotel. have to wait till the kids go to go there! :crying: ) Don't turn down the idea of a non Disney hotel. Keep looking! You might be able to score a good deal! There is even the option of renting a timeshare property (like Boardwalk, Old Key West, the Wilderness Lodge) for a good deal. Investigate it all since you have plenty of time!

I guess that's the beauty of planning ahead! Plenty of time to investigate every last option! (we are planning a WDW trip for NEXT fall already!)

disneyperson
06-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Well, we always go in July for my birthday and the last weekend in August for batsday and in December to see the pretty lights. And now, thanks to this site, I have to plan for a spring trip for MA too. So it's safe to say I'm always searching the travel sites for room rates since I'm pretty much always planning our next trip. We booked our July trip six months ago. I'm booking our August trip this weekend.

CoasterChickie
06-22-2005, 04:42 PM
I usually get the cheapest prices on the hotel if I wait till about two weeks before my trip to book, but I also tend to go at low season when there's more availabilty.

SCUBAbe
06-22-2005, 04:48 PM
usually about 30 min to an hour...if I spend the night a day or two before..:)

passthepixiedust
06-22-2005, 09:51 PM
well, I've been planning since March and I'm finally down to just two months to go ! Although, if I had been ready to go right when I started planning it would have been WAY cheaper.... 50th hadn't yet started and there were kids free and all that. Then again, I wouldn't have gotten to learn so much from all the fine folks here and I think that the extra planning will really make a difference. I now know all sorts of great MP tricks to make our trip that much better.

btw... YAY ! paid off the trip today, NOW it's starting to seem a little more real !

phillyorig
06-23-2005, 01:52 PM
how many days are u planing for phil for disneyworld any way

Right now its leaving on a sunday and coming back a sat!.
Looking at the first full week in June for the trip. A 5 day ticket as of this time...

HUbbys did say he wanted to go back to Cape Kennedy, that might change a few thing, BUT, at least we have an idea.

The price depends on if we buy 2 tickets a year and by then my oldest 2 will be out of school and can buy their own ( oh heck a college ed. person can pay for the whole family!!! :eek: )
lol

5yrs is a long time and things change, but with 4 kids I alays plan