PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Orlando, next vacation is California!

Goinginjune
06-21-2005, 01:33 PM
I need lots of input. I'm going to start planning and saving real early for next years vacation.
I've never been to the area before in my life so I'm not sure what to expect.
I'd like to plan lots of other things outside of the themeparks, but for now what would be the best way to start with the few things I know they have out there, like Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, and Seaworld. Any other suggestions? My family will include 2 adults, a 17 year old daughter, my 10 year old son, and (possibly) my 17 year olds boyfreind.
How far apart are the parks? What kind of passes should I get? Where should I stay? What time of year is best? ect.......

bradk
06-21-2005, 01:51 PM
are those your only locations? or are you considering others?

having recently visited all of them (and quite a few more) i'm unpleased to let you know that they are all quite a distance away from eachother.

you might want to give citypass a gander. the socal citypass will give you admission to disneyland (in the form of a 3 day hopper bonus), sea world, san diego zoo OR wild animal park and knotts berry farm. all for $185 MSRP (adult), but you can get it for $165 from costco.com. when you consider the disneyland hopper is $139 alone when purchased in advance, you're getting quite a deal, even if you only visit two of the attractions.

universal is covered only by the hollywood citypass, but that one's probably not worth it.

as far as what time of year is best, disneyland should be your determining factor. avoid the summer. try to avoid weekends. anytime from after labor day through march of next year should be just fine except for holidays.

i'd also check the operating schedule of both universal and sea world so you can try to optimize your time at both parks. sea world especially can easily take all day depending on how much you plan on getting done.

Goinginjune
06-21-2005, 02:21 PM
are those your only locations? or are you considering others?

Thanks for the information and yes I want to consider other things. I just don't know what else there is.
How far is far apart? Milage or timewise.

D-lander 1956
06-21-2005, 02:48 PM
You'll definitely need a car. Based on staying in the DL area, Knott's is 1/2 hour (in Buena Park), Universal 1 hour (just north of LA/Hollywood in Universal City) and Sea World plan on 1 1/2 hour minimum (San Diego). All of these times are without rush hour traffic, approx 6-9 am and 3-7 pm. Your best bet would be to plug in their addresses from their web sites and mapquest the mileage and routes.

You may want to consider going to any of the local beaches in Orange County or San Diego. Check this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=42629&highlight=beaches)

Have fun planning! :D

Goinginjune
06-23-2005, 04:24 AM
You'll definitely need a car. Based on staying in the DL area, Knott's is 1/2 hour (in Buena Park), Universal 1 hour (just north of LA/Hollywood in Universal City) and Sea World plan on 1 1/2 hour minimum (San Diego). All of these times are without rush hour traffic, approx 6-9 am and 3-7 pm. Your best bet would be to plug in their addresses from their web sites and mapquest the mileage and routes.

You may want to consider going to any of the local beaches in Orange County or San Diego. Check this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=42629&highlight=beaches)

Have fun planning! :D

Sounds like Sea Worlds a fairly lenthy drive. I have to do it since I didn't have time to go to the one in Orlando. Thanks for the beach thead link.. It is a must do deal! I went to Daytona Beach when I was in Florida for one afternoon and it was a blast. It was also our first time stepping foot into Ocean water.

bradk
06-23-2005, 06:01 AM
I haven't been to Sea World Orlando yet, but San Diego is great (especially with the available tours). I would almost skip Orlando now if not for the dolphin nursery (san diego has a dolphin pool, but not a nursery per se), so curiosity has the best of me.

San Diego in general is great, especially Balboa park which hosts a large collection of museums (not all of them are that spectacular to be honest), but the park itself is great. It also contains the San Diego zoo. Check out Balboa park on Sunday afternoons though, there are festivals at the international village (or whatever it's called). i think there's something around 30 nations represented, all have respective foods available for nominal donations and each has a little house that's open that represents the respective country as well.

phillyorig
06-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Sounds like Sea Worlds a fairly lenthy drive. I have to do it since I didn't have time to go to the one in Orlando. Thanks for the beach thead link.. It is a must do deal! I went to Daytona Beach when I was in Florida for one afternoon and it was a blast. It was also our first time stepping foot into Ocean water.

I like the Thread name because I just came back from Disneyland and going to WDW in 5 yrs!!!(Haven't been there since 1992)

Been to both Universal's and I like Fl. way better!!! Tho Holyywood's has a better view going up/down the esclator!! :D

Never been to either Sea world, but drove home, via San Diego, one year
( live in AZ.) That drive on I-5 was... well can't describe it in this board :eek: ).
Took us about and hour to drive to the area where Sea world is. Sat, looked at the beach and drove home.

I agree, check out Ca. beach's. We spent a day at Hunington Beach and had a great time!!!(got a little sun burn. just starting to peel 2 weeks later lol).

Originally from the east coast, and the wavs in Ca. don't even stack up to the wavs on the east coast!!

Have fun and happy researching!!