PDA

View Full Version : Food Service Issues - wow, not exaggerated!

Pages : [1] 2

greenscreenltd
06-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Was at DL on Sunday and though I had read here about the problems with food service, I was still surprised to see just how widespread it was. The wait at the popcorn stand near the hub was 25 minutes. Over at CA, we waited in a very long line at Strips, etc. for about 20 minutes, but the line never moved; we eventually decided to just go to a sit-down restaurant. There was only one person at one available window, and I felt really bad for the guy, as he looked exasperated and the people in line were pretty irate.

TikiGeek
06-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Wow, bad news indeed. I hope that they can resolve the food service problems soon.

tinkluver
06-21-2005, 10:45 AM
. There was only one person at one available window, and I felt really bad for the guy, as he looked exasperated and the people in line were pretty irate.
I feel sorry for all those food service workers that have stuck around and are working their behinds off- only to be yelled and complained to. They are doing the best they can with the resources they have.
To all the food service workers out there--- Thanks for all your hard work!!! :D

I just hope management is able to get more people hired and trained soon so this problem can be fixed.

ToursbabeC3po
06-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Was at DL on Sunday and though I had read here about the problems with food service, I was still surprised to see just how widespread it was. The wait at the popcorn stand near the hub was 25 minutes. Over at CA, we waited in a very long line at Strips, etc. for about 20 minutes, but the line never moved; we eventually decided to just go to a sit-down restaurant. There was only one person at one available window, and I felt really bad for the guy, as he looked exasperated and the people in line were pretty irate.
The reason you are waiting so long which I posted in another post a few days ago. Is they changed the contract for foods people and it was very bad so amost 1000 foods people quit and they can not keep up with new hires. The worst part of the contract was for full time workers. They went from 40 hours a week to 27 during the off season. Disney thought they would save some money that way but now with all of the overtime they are paying they are spending more then they would save. I think it is funny that disney screwed themselves. LOL HA HA HA HA.
((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))
Tours

CinemaGal15
06-21-2005, 11:52 AM
I feel sorry for all those food service workers that have stuck around and are working their behinds off- only to be yelled and complained to. They are doing the best they can with the resources they have.
To all the food service workers out there--- Thanks for all your hard work!!! :D

I just hope management is able to get more people hired and trained soon so this problem can be fixed.

Wow Thanks! At least some of you realize what we all go through. Also... we were told yesterday that within the next few weeks they are hiring about 700 new foods people. So hopefully they come and learn quickly.

The Genii
06-21-2005, 04:18 PM
You'll find that you have no wait at all if you go to Downtown Disney or one of the hotels for your food.
It's more expensive, and you do have to take a hike, but it reduces the stress of waiting in line for 45 minutes for chicken strips!

SCUBAbe
06-21-2005, 04:23 PM
i was there sunday and did not notice a problem. We walked right up to one snack stand and the wait for the pancake place was normal.

ferliemom
06-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi,
A friend and I were at DLR yesterday. We were hoping to get a Dole Whip, but the poor thing at the stand was working all alone, and all she had left was coffee and pineapple spears! She said she had no idea when anyone would come back to help her!
We were thinking we would have to wait until later to have dinner, having heard about the staffing problems. But we passed Rancho del Z. at about 6:45 p.m., so NO LINE at all, walked right up to the grill and ordered 2 chicken/shrimp combos with mashed potatoes!
There was no problem there at all, everything was fairly clean, speedy, and so yummy, as usual!
Kim

cstephens
06-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Hmmm, we had dinner at Pizza Port on Sunday night, and there was no problem at all. The wait was minimal (the line for pasta was a little long, but that seems to be always the case - it's why I usually opt for pizza instead). This was at about 7:30, I think.

CinemaGal15
06-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Hi,
A friend and I were at DLR yesterday. We were hoping to get a Dole Whip, but the poor thing at the stand was working all alone, and all she had left was coffee and pineapple spears! She said she had no idea when anyone would come back to help her!
Kim

Tiki has no idea when anyone will help them, especially with stock because that location home base isn't allowed to stock themselves anymore. They are suppose to call ODV stockers and they can take up to 2 hrs to stock them, which is a waste of time. All because if the Tiki crew were to lug over all there stuff, it would be "bad show." Yet being out of product, I would feel would be more important....So if you don't care what stock looks like being lugged across main street and would rather like your Dole Whip.. Please Complain!!! Not to Tiki, but To City Hall!!!!

TP2000
06-22-2005, 03:02 AM
I ate at the Plaza Inn a few days ago and it was just fine. Lots of people ordering and eating, but also lots of CM's helping out and keeping things moving quickly.

I think this problem is hit and miss, and it depends on the day or the specific restaurant you are trying to eat at. But I haven't run into any real problems ever since this was "reported" on several internet websites.

disneyperson
06-22-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm going to make a point of thanking every food service CM I can on my next visit. I've been reading the threads and articles and I feel really sorry for them. They must be enduring a lot of verbal abuse. Hang in there guys !

snappy
06-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Did the ODV department take a hit also? I wonder if they would hire me back since I was only a CT cast member last summer. Probably not since I can only work the summer months. Remember to always ask for a courtesy cup!

DonaldDuck14
06-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Yeah Im a foods cast member and its been kinda annoying both for the guests and us cast members. With the line schedules we've been getting new cast members to the locations so not all the cast members at the location are 100% in the area. So when you go to the restaurants just be patient and bear with us. It's not like we create this slow service on purpose, trust me we would like to get through the lines and orders just as fast as you guys do. And also, don't complain about waiting if you decided to wait in a really long line. It's a pet peeve of many when guests decided to stand in a long line and expect to order and get the food in a heartbeat. It's like, yea we can get ur food in 5 seconds if u don't mind getting food poisoning and getting it out of the order u ordered it in. So if the line is long and is moving as fast as dial-up internet...then get some PATIENCE and don't attack us for it. And I know Im speaking for many cast members who had to experience this.

Melaniee
06-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Note to self: Pack extra food to bring next week.

;)

3 weeks ago, or so, Dh waited in line over 30 minutes behind just 4 people at that Buzz burger place. I couldnt' believe it. I thought it was just bad luck. I'm going solo and 7 months pregnant with a toddler. No way I'm waiting in those lines!

disney_leonard
06-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Having posted about a bad experience a couple of weeks ago I have to give a positive update. Was at DLR yesterday. Had no unusual delays and had a very quick service at Village Haus during evening dinner hour. Which is the location and time where I had the problem before! I also visited the Dole stand at the Tiki Room and the two CM's working there were swamped but did a great job of keeping up with non-stop guests on both sides. They worked as a team and were terrific. I've read that they are working on hiring more folks (they had a job fair going yesterday as well) so it looks like things will be getting even better.

THANKS TO ALL FOOD SERVICE CM's!

ChurroLad
06-23-2005, 01:15 AM
Did the ODV department take a hit also? I wonder if they would hire me back since I was only a CT cast member last summer. Probably not since I can only work the summer months. Remember to always ask for a courtesy cup!

oh yes. oh yes. its gotten pretty bad. mostly in our stocking crew. we have a select few stockers who have not been bumped up to other positions or outright quit. plus some new rules regarding which carts we can use have really really slowed down the process of keeping our carts stocked and iced. an hour long parade 2 times a day doesnt really help either in that dept.

if you want to work summer, i can guarentee you they will hire you.

ChurroLad
06-23-2005, 01:21 AM
Tiki has no idea when anyone will help them, especially with stock because that location home base isn't allowed to stock themselves anymore. They are suppose to call ODV stockers and they can take up to 2 hrs to stock them, which is a waste of time. All because if the Tiki crew were to lug over all there stuff, it would be "bad show." Yet being out of product, I would feel would be more important....So if you don't care what stock looks like being lugged across main street and would rather like your Dole Whip.. Please Complain!!! Not to Tiki, but To City Hall!!!!

being a tiki stocker myself at times... 90 percent of the delay is that either a- they call right before something grand in main street like the parade or fireworks and we cant get through, or b- they dont have the order prepared for us when we get there, so we have to flag down a plaza inn lead to make sure were taking exactly what they need. or finally c- the stockers are getting slammed and dont necessarily have the time to split between keeping main street stocked and trying to keep track of the tiki room. im still trying to grasp why management is forcing this show restriction on us... it slows both tiki room and odv down severly.

CinemaGal15
06-23-2005, 04:38 AM

They lost the most people and yes, I bet they would hire you back...

CinemaGal15
06-23-2005, 04:40 AM
Yeah Im a foods cast member and its been kinda annoying both for the guests and us cast members. With the line schedules we've been getting new cast members to the locations so not all the cast members at the location are 100% in the area. So when you go to the restaurants just be patient and bear with us. It's not like we create this slow service on purpose, trust me we would like to get through the lines and orders just as fast as you guys do. And also, don't complain about waiting if you decided to wait in a really long line. It's a pet peeve of many when guests decided to stand in a long line and expect to order and get the food in a heartbeat. It's like, yea we can get ur food in 5 seconds if u don't mind getting food poisoning and getting it out of the order u ordered it in. So if the line is long and is moving as fast as dial-up internet...then get some PATIENCE and don't attack us for it. And I know Im speaking for many cast members who had to experience this.

LOL A great way to put that.... :D

CinemaGal15
06-23-2005, 04:43 AM
oh yes. oh yes. its gotten pretty bad. mostly in our stocking crew. we have a select few stockers who have not been bumped up to other positions or outright quit. plus some new rules regarding which carts we can use have really really slowed down the process of keeping our carts stocked and iced. an hour long parade 2 times a day doesnt really help either in that dept.

if you want to work summer, i can guarentee you they will hire you.

I hear you... Having you guys stock Tiki is stupid... since it is "bad show" to use other types of carts with must wait a month for our own cart and rely on you guys... it sucks on both sides... And that no-break parade definently doesn't help at all! :mad:

jennia
06-23-2005, 04:40 PM
We ate at Village Haus 6-22 and the lines were long and slow moving. The burgers were GREAT though and we just waited patiently. I mean ,what can you do? I know the CMs aren't responsible for the mess, just out there dealing with it! :|

Later we wanted a Dole Whip and there was one gal working alone but the Dole Whip machine was broken so there wasn't a lot for her to do (just sell pineapple juice and gel cups not the more time intensive stuff.) There wasn't a line at all but they need to get that Dole Whip machine some help!! :D Seems like I'm reading a lot of posts about that thing being broken and fixed and broken and fixed and....

rentayenta
06-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I feel terrible for the food service workers. It cannot be fun being understaffed, underpaid, and disrespected. :(

Hey, that sort of sounds like parenting at times. ;)

Andrew
06-23-2005, 04:51 PM
We ate at Village Haus 6-22 and the lines were long and slow moving. The burgers were GREAT though (emphasis added)
I know the words, but somehow they do not make sense in this order.

Seriously, the Village Haus burgers are awful. Unless they've radically changed the menu since last I've been there.

Shortiemetoo
06-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Two thumbs up for the food service workers who are sticking this out! Thank you very much! It must be so frustrating to go to work every day short staffed! I am a nurse and believe me short staffing is no fun...I understand!!
Anyway, thank you!
By the way is it true that now they are having salaried workers help out if food service...pouring sodas etc?