PDA

View Full Version : Final Ward Kimball Locomotive Update (hopefully)

Pages : [1] 2

smd4
06-20-2005, 09:08 AM
The Kimball is so close to completion you can almost TASTE it!! Some work was still being done Saturday, putting on some finishing touches and extras the park ordered for No. 5. A hold-down bracket for the cosmetic cover of the steam dome was installed; the draft pan was modified so the dampers are on the bottom like engine No.3; drawer slides to the battery boxes were added under the tender; and as if there isn’t enough modern technology on the locomotive, a solar powered charger on the roof of the cab for the low water control’s battery was installed.

We are definitely on the home stretch now! There will be some more testing tonight, adjustments tomorrow followed by more testing tomorrow night and possibly Wednesday. Wednesday night the folks from the Disneyland Locomotive Beautification League (a band of small gnome-esque people whose mission in life is to be sure that every Disneyland locomotive looks perfect for its debut; they have been on vacation in French Polynesia since the Marsh first came on line in 1959) will work their magic and Thursday morning, June 23, 2005 engine No. 5 will roll into Main Street Station for its first day of public operation.

TikiGeek
06-20-2005, 09:12 AM
...Thursday morning, June 23, 2005 engine No. 5 will roll into Main Street Station for its first day of public operation.YES!!! (jumping up and down like an idiot! :D ) Are they going to have a public ceremony?

smd4
06-20-2005, 09:32 AM
There may be a small ceremony backstage. I haven't heard if tehre will be anything public, but you would think there would be. Free PR is always good PR!

adriennek
06-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Oh shoot! A few days later and we could be there! How exciting! Finally!

Thanks for the update!!

Adrienne

disneygurl92
06-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Yes i'll be there. i'm excited already.

jennia
06-20-2005, 11:18 AM
YEAH!!! We have a trip to Disneyland planned for Thursday. We're definitely planning to ride the Ward Kimball on its first day.

PragmaticIdealist
06-20-2005, 01:40 PM
I am really excited, myself.

How long ago did Disney buy the locomotive? And, did anyone ever learn who stole it in the first place?

tbminnie
06-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Maybe this site will help you out.
http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Disneyland/Secrets/General/Trains.html

How long ago did Disney buy the locomotive? And, did anyone ever learn who stole it in the first place?

smd4
06-20-2005, 02:14 PM

How long ago did Disney buy the locomotive? And, did anyone ever learn who stole it in the first place?Well, you can read more about the engine here. (http://www.miceage.com/guest/gu062005a.htm) It came to Disneyland in 1999, and was not "stolen;" it was traded for another locomotive. Before that, it was at Cedar Point, having been lawfully purchased. The original owner retired the engine in the mid-1940s.

PragmaticIdealist
06-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Well, you can read more about the engine here. (http://www.miceage.com/guest/gu062005a.htm) It came to Disneyland in 1999, and was not "stolen;" it was traded for another locomotive. Before that, it was at Cedar Point, having been lawfully purchased. The original owner retired the engine in the mid-1940s.

Thank you very much, Steve and tbminnie. I especially enjoyed the well-written history.

After speaking several years ago with the subject-matter expert at the Disneyland Railroad (Attractions department), I was under the impression that the Maud L. was "lost" in transit many years ago, and, then, sold to Cedar Fair before Disney eventually discovered the locomotive and had Cedar Fair return the stolen property. But, I must have been mistaken.

smd4
06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
It sounds like your subject-matter expert was confusing this story with another.

When the Fred Gurely locomotive was purchased, it was loaded in a boxcar for shipment to California from Louisiana (the Fred Gurly is a fraternal twin to the Maud L, both having been built to the exact same Baldwin specifications, and sent to another Louisian plantation. You will find this difficult to believe when you see the two engines together). That boxcar was mis-routed, and ended up someplace other than LA. Walt called up his buddy, Fred Gurley, then president of the ATSF, and the "missing" engine was found without delay, and re-routed to CA.

BTW, there are a LOT of rumors surrounding this little engine, so I'm not surprised to hear the above tale. One of my favorites (which I am guilty of repeating), is that the engine was named after the mistress of one of the plantation owners. Certainly this is the more colorful story, but what the truth lacks in sordidness, it makes up for in its touching qualities.

Noah
06-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Hello,
Where can I find the largest steam train still in operation today? I want to ride the biggest steam train there is, I have heard that the UP 3985 4-6-6-4 Challenger is still in operational state although I do not know if this accessible for public rides. Do you have any information about where I could ride the biggest engine?

Thanks for your time,
-Noah

smd4
06-20-2005, 04:10 PM
The engine still exists, it is the world's largest operating steam engine, and you can occasionally see it in excursion service. You can check out the UP's schedule of events here. (http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/excurs/steamtr.shtml) and a description of the engine here. (http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/excurs/up3985.shtml)

Noah
06-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks so much for the link, It looks like they are running engine #844 for those trips listed on the schedule. Does not say anything about the 3985. I do not know much about the #844 have you ridden it?
Thanks again,
-Noah

smd4
06-20-2005, 04:18 PM
I have been "up to" (but not in) the cabs of both. When UP brings the engines to train shows, they install a platform alongside the cab, with stairs, where you can look right in the window. The last time I saw 3985 under steam was when the Democratic Convention was here in LA in 2000

Noah
06-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Have you ridden the Skunk Train in Willits CA? I see they offer cab rides when they run steam for about $100, for a 3.5 hour journey apparently. Looks like something I will be trying!

smd4
06-20-2005, 04:27 PM
No, I haven't, but a $100 for a 3 hour cab ride in a steam locomotive sounds like a steal. I heard the Durango & SIlverton wants to charge a grand for the same thing!

Oh, and to keep this Disney-related: They are now offering cab rides again on engines 1 and 2!

Noah
06-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Wow your kidding! How do we attempt to get a ride on with Engine 1 or 2!?

smd4
06-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Just ask the conductor whenever one of those two engines arrives at the Main Street Station!

Noah
06-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks very much for all the information!

Baloo
06-20-2005, 09:27 PM
I have been "up to" (but not in) the cabs of both. When UP brings the engines to train shows, they install a platform alongside the cab, with stairs, where you can look right in the window. The last time I saw 3985 under steam was when the Democratic Convention was here in LA in 2000

I am not familiar with trains but i wander if this is the train i saw pass thru the metro station near my house in 2001. I had just arrived from my commute and noticed several dozen people standing near the second platform. i decided to find out what was up since no passneger train stops on that platform. Within five minutes this beautiful huge steam engine passed and people cheared like crazy. It was awesome.

lisap
06-21-2005, 06:02 AM
Oh, and to keep this Disney-related: They are now offering cab rides again on engines 1 and 2!

Steve, how many guests can ride in the cab?

smd4
06-21-2005, 07:25 AM
Lisap, the seat is really quite narrow; two adults can squeeze together; possibly one adult and two kids in the same space (possibly).

There is a seat back and arm rests...and a SEATBELT!!

lisap
06-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Lisap, the seat is really quite narrow; two adults can squeeze together; possibly one adult and two kids in the same space (possibly).

There is a seat back and arm rests...and a SEATBELT!!

Awesome! Thanks for the info. :)

VickiC
06-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Baloo that might have been Santa Fe 3751, they run an excursion to Arizona around that time, we chased it all the way to Barstow.