PDA

View Full Version : Boarding the back of the Red Monorail

justagrrl
02-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Anyone know why they don't (or aren't) loading the back of the red monorail? We arrived to Dland in the back of purple...and the kids were so dissappointed that they wouldn't let us ride in the back of "red" on the way back.

(yes, we went through DD...stayed a few hours and then left through DD) ;)

Also - why don't they load the front of the monorail at all anymore? Security issues or something?

MonorailMan
02-03-2002, 01:08 PM
No, Never heard of this, they always load the back of the other monorails, maybe there working of the cab to upgrade it.

tabacco
02-03-2002, 01:18 PM
Plus some CMs don't like having people in the front while they're trying to drive, since the monorail actually does require a degree of concentration to drive.

MonorailMan
02-03-2002, 06:43 PM
Well, one time I thnk the funniest joke we had, was when I was up front with a really funny CM, and he needed assistnce for a joke, so I said "OK" , he said it, and we were both laughing, it was:

(Right After Pulling Out Of The DTD Stop. Also,He didn't push the speil button.) He said "Next stop will TL", interepped him self, then said, "Oh, No! I've made a wrong turn (I make a sound of some up crumpling up a map), then he said "Just let me check my map folks, wait no there, I think were going back to DL now, (We Just Flew Into the park) And I think I've got the right way now, yep there's all the lands." "Thanks for riding PRSUTTCTACP, whew, glad I had the right map".

It was very funny at the time.

(PRSUTTCTACP=Please Remain Seated Until The Train Comes To A Complete Stop)

bluepearl
02-03-2002, 09:48 PM
A-ha...I thought it was just that one night they weren't loading people in the back of the red Monorail. I think that was...Wednesday night that we went. My friend and I wanted to sit in the back of the Monorail, but they wouldn't let us pass a certain point.

justagrrl
02-04-2002, 05:48 AM
We went back last night and one guy didn't want to let us board the back of purple. Another CM came over and advised him that it was okay and then they had some sort of mini discussion about the back not being vented and the big "window" making it really hot in there.

So, maybe it's not red or purple so much as what time of day you want to ride back there.

Nigel2
02-04-2002, 09:33 PM
I believe they didn't load the back during DCA construction since the monorails had to go in reverse instead of going in a complete circut and a CM had to watch the back.

Polar33
02-04-2002, 10:11 PM
Like justagrrl said...the back (and front i believe) cabs are not vented for a/c apparently. From what I understand it is a judgement call of the pilot depending on the temperature. Which is why you will never see anyone in either end of the monorail during the 90+ degree summer days. However it hasn't been that hot recently...but I guess the "car window" effect warms it up quite a bit since it gets direct sunlight all day. Perhaps Red being freshly back from the service garage has annother reason that cab access is restricted, but heat is usually the top reason they close off those cabs. Regardless...I am still happy to see it running :D

justagrrl
02-05-2002, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Polar33
Like justagrrl said...the back (and front i believe) cabs are not vented for a/c apparently. From what I understand it is a judgement call of the pilot depending on the temperature. Which is why you will never see anyone in either end of the monorail during the 90+ degree summer days.

Doesn't someone have to be in the front to "drive" it though?

Do they ever let us regular people ride in the front with the driver? (My kids would think that was the best thing ever - my 3 year old is aspiring to own his own monorail when he grows up.)

Polar33
02-05-2002, 10:20 AM
Theres probabaly just enough ventalation in the nosecone for the pilot when he or she is in there alone but if there were other people in there it might be uncomfortable with the extra body heat.

As for riding up front...just keep on asking. Your chances are greater in the early mornings and at night due to the temperature thing. If they say no just be a bit persistant, ask if it would be possible to board the next monorail in the front, ask the reason they wont let you ride up front, ask if there will be anytime that day that you can come back to ride in the front, etc. Best yet...ask the pilot themselves when they leave the nosecone to help the other guests exit, everytime I ask the pilot directly I have had good results.

MonorailMan
02-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Theres probabaly just enough ventalation in the nosecone for the pilot when he or she is in there alone but if there were other people in there it might be uncomfortable with the extra body heat.

As for riding up front...just keep on asking. Your chances are greater in the early mornings and at night due to the temperature thing. If they say no just be a bit persistant, ask if it would be possible to board the next monorail in the front, ask the reason they wont let you ride up front, ask if there will be anytime that day that you can come back to ride in the front, etc. Best yet...ask the pilot themselves when they leave the nosecone to help the other guests exit, everytime I ask the pilot directly I have had good results.

True, asking the pilot is the best result.

justagrrl
02-05-2002, 01:06 PM

GREAT advice! Thanks a bunch. I'm going to give it a shot. You know what our quest is now...

DisneyFiend
02-05-2002, 08:22 PM
I went to DL a few weeks ago. When I was there, I asked a CM if I could ride in the front of the monorail. He said they stopped allowing people to ride there due to security issues. Has anyone ridden in the front recently? I wonder if he was lying to me.

MammaSilva
02-05-2002, 08:37 PM
that is the same story we got in September and in December....so I'm thinking it's not going to change anytime soon.....has anyone been up on the top deck with the captain on the Mark Twain lately?

justagrrl
02-06-2002, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by mammasilva
that is the same story we got in September and in December....so I'm thinking it's not going to change anytime soon.....has anyone been up on the top deck with the captain on the Mark Twain lately?

It's down for maintenance right now...

hbquikcomjamesl
02-06-2002, 08:14 AM
The "code 90" problem appears to be an issue of inadequate air conditioning. The main passenger compartments have plenty of windows that can open, if the air conditioning is inadequate; the cab and the tail don't.

I suspect that there are security issues at present, and they might be subject to the discretion of the lead on duty. Before that, the cab almost always filled up very quickly, and the best way to get a cab seat was to be prepared to wait out at least one, and possibly two or three trains. Now, it's probably a good idea to look up at a few passing trains, and see whether they're loading the cab at all, before even asking.

And I wasn't aware that there was ever a time when guests were allowed up to the wheelhouse on the Mark Twain.