PDA

View Full Version : Attraction cast members working lots of overtime!

Pages : [1] 2

ToursbabeC3po
06-18-2005, 10:26 PM
I talked to several people I used to work with yesterday when I was in the park and there are attractions cast members working 70 hours a week!!!!! Not only have they termed a lot of cast members a lot are leaving! So my recommendation is to go earlier in the day. I know when I was working that many hours during the electric parades last days at Disneyland I was making careless mistakes and was not very friendly. We encountered a few really grouchie attractions cast members on Friday but over all it was an okay experiance. We did go the wrong way for Indy with the guest assistance pass and the cast member was very rude. I told him I was sorry we came the wrong way this is the way we went last time and he said. "It does not matter you have to get in the fastpass line." I never said I was not going to go I was just apologising for going the wrong way.....Hmmmm. Also the lines for the food stands were moving much slower then normal.
On a good note, the firework show was worth the 900.00 we spent on passes yesterday it was wonderful! We did not get to see the parade because my daughter would not sit to wait for it we will try another day.
((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))
Toursbabe

Shortiemetoo
06-18-2005, 10:33 PM
I am glad you had a good time and got to see the fireworks!!! Was your cost $900 because you got AP's or because of the amount of people you were there with?

ToursbabeC3po
06-18-2005, 10:36 PM
I am glad you had a good time and got to see the fireworks!!! Was your cost $900 because you got AP's or because of the amount of people you were there with?
We finally got AP's. Even though I have friends with silver passes which is unlimited sign ins it was hard to find a time to meet up so I forked up the cash to not have to worry about it for a year. Having kids with specail needs it is nice to be able to go for just a few hours at a time.
((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))
Tours

CinemaGal15
06-19-2005, 02:54 AM
I talked to several people I used to work with yesterday when I was in the park and there are attractions cast members working 70 hours a week!!!!! Not only have they termed a lot of cast members a lot are leaving! Toursbabe

Attractions isn't that bad compared to foods. Ever since our new contract started we have been working that many hours. Attractions people were even pulled to help out foods on May 5th because so many people called in. But you shouldn't get too upset with the CMs because they are working more 8 to 12 hrs a day, even though I know some CMs who have worked past 12 hrs...like 15, 18, 19 hrs a day...and believe me, that gets you extremely tired and frustrated to the point of not even trying to be overly friendly anymore. We are only human and our bodies can take only so much. :(

ToursbabeC3po
06-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Attractions isn't that bad compared to foods. Ever since our new contract started we have been working that many hours. Attractions people were even pulled to help out foods on May 5th because so many people called in. But you shouldn't get too upset with the CMs because they are working more 8 to 12 hrs a day, even though I know some CMs who have worked past 12 hrs...like 15, 18, 19 hrs a day...and believe me, that gets you extremely tired and frustrated to the point of not even trying to be overly friendly anymore. We are only human and our bodies can take only so much. :(
Yes I heard about your new contract and it stinks! They are trying to push the same contract for attractions cast members so a lot of people quit right before summer and a lot were termed. I never was rude to a cast member they were rude to us. I totally understand what it is like to work those type of hours. Back when the electric parade was at Disneyland I worked from 6 am to 14:30 at Captain EO then worked 14:30 to 24:00 at guest control and I did this for almost two months. Even though I was grouchy I never took it out on the guest I would go back stage and let it all out. But that was back when guest service was number one in the park and that has seemed to take a backseat lately.
Toursbabe

SCUBAbe
06-19-2005, 07:27 PM
maybe thats why I ran into 3 rude CM's this weekend. I don't really expect much of them either...they don't ahve to smile at me, or talk to me, or make eye contact...they can even ignore me, but when they just say rude things in a rude tone...well, i definalty took notice.

2 of them were in food places one was on BTMR...

rentayenta
06-19-2005, 07:47 PM
This makes me sad. :( Don't the big wigs know that the CMs are part of the magic? I can't tell you the number of awesome CMs that I met on our trip last December. I left compliment cards for all of them.

Does Disney have a plan to make the work environment more palatable?

b52hbuff
06-19-2005, 10:49 PM
;)

sdfilmcritic
06-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Seventy hour work weeks for hourly paid employees? That seems rather interesting to hear. What is the percentage number of Attractions CMs getting those type hours? Is it twenty, fifty, or seventy-five percent of the department? That's a lot of overtime money for the company to be shelling out. It seems really strange for a company that thrives on hourly pay to be spending a lot of money on hourly wages.

SoCalDude
06-20-2005, 01:14 AM
there are attractions cast members working 70 hours a week!!!!! Not only have they termed a lot of cast members a lot are leaving!

Cause and effect in progress is an amazing thing.

Tinkerbelle
06-20-2005, 01:37 AM
I've been working 40-some hour weeks doing nothing but parades and fireworks.... I miss my Trains :(

sdfilmcritic
06-20-2005, 01:40 AM
I've been working 40-some hour weeks doing nothing but parades and fireworks.... I miss my Trains :(You also work on the trains like Cpt Josh does? Cool.

Tinkerbelle
06-20-2005, 01:45 AM
yup. Josh and I hired in at the same time. We met our first day, and went through our training together. He's awesome, and has a killer "All Aboard" .... have you checked out his fan club? They made him a myspace group and everything. ;)

sdfilmcritic
06-20-2005, 01:52 AM
I saw his location note regarding his fan club. It's crazy to think he can gain popularity that quickly. Does he think he's Maynard or something?

Oh, hi there Josh! I didn't see you there! :p

Josh is a cool guy and I wish I had an opportunity to hear his All Aboard call. One of these days I might have my chance to hear it. :D

Tinkerbelle
06-20-2005, 01:59 AM
haha, perfect timing on the Maynard comment. check out the new thread I started.

sdfilmcritic
06-20-2005, 02:01 AM
haha, perfect timing on the Maynard comment. check out the new thread I started.I just noticed your post about his website. Pretty cool idea for those who don't know who he is to check out some information about him.

CinemaGal15
06-20-2005, 02:31 AM
Seventy hour work weeks for hourly paid employees? That seems rather interesting to hear. What is the percentage number of Attractions CMs getting those type hours? Is it twenty, fifty, or seventy-five percent of the department? That's a lot of overtime money for the company to be shelling out. It seems really strange for a company that thrives on hourly pay to be spending a lot of money on hourly wages.

Well I can't say for the Attraction cast members, but for foods... 99% of the cast members have 6 days scheduled, which is at least 48 hrs a week...and then daily overtime and postings for 7th days makes foods cast members get about the same as attractions. :\ And yes, that is massive amounts of money that they are giving out, but yet they could have just hired people like they did the year before and then they wouldn't have had this problem.

GrumpyUTboi
06-20-2005, 06:55 AM
No wonder why prices seem to keep going up and up at DL. After 8 hours a day these people are geting paid overtime, whew that is a lot of money and I really don;t know what the wages are at DL. I guess that if I was young and single I would head on over to DL to work an extra 30 hours a week to make some jack! :D

phoenixfire2k5
06-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Yes I heard about your new contract and it stinks! They are trying to push the same contract for attractions cast members so a lot of people quit right before summer and a lot were termed. I never was rude to a cast member they were rude to us. I totally understand what it is like to work those type of hours. Back when the electric parade was at Disneyland I worked from 6 am to 14:30 at Captain EO then worked 14:30 to 24:00 at guest control and I did this for almost two months. Even though I was grouchy I never took it out on the guest I would go back stage and let it all out. But that was back when guest service was number one in the park and that has seemed to take a backseat lately.
Toursbabe

Whats this new contract I keep hearing about?

CinemaGal15
06-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Whats this new contract I keep hearing about?

We got screwed! So over 600 foods people quit and others were fired. :(

phoenixfire2k5
06-20-2005, 12:34 PM

What did it involve though?

Queenie
06-20-2005, 01:24 PM
I talked to several people I used to work with yesterday when I was in the park and there are attractions cast members working 70 hours a week!!!!! Not only have they termed a lot of cast members a lot are leaving! So my recommendation is to go earlier in the day. I know when I was working that many hours during the electric parades last days at Disneyland I was making careless mistakes and was not very friendly. We encountered a few really grouchie attractions cast members on Friday but over all it was an okay experiance. We did go the wrong way for Indy with the guest assistance pass and the cast member was very rude. I told him I was sorry we came the wrong way this is the way we went last time and he said. "It does not matter you have to get in the fastpass line." I never said I was not going to go I was just apologising for going the wrong way.....Hmmmm. Also the lines for the food stands were moving much slower then normal.
On a good note, the firework show was worth the 900.00 we spent on passes yesterday it was wonderful! We did not get to see the parade because my daughter would not sit to wait for it we will try another day.
((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))
Toursbabe

That's terrible.

There's a whole building full of Disney management types up in Burbank. Put them on the front lines to help out until this gets resolved. I'll bet that, with them on the front lines, it'll get resolved right quick.

Mark Mywords
06-20-2005, 03:28 PM
What did it involve though?

Al Lutz wrote about this a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/a060705a.htm

Sounds like there's quite a bit of unrest from CMs of all types.

Karen256
06-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Just out of curiousity, do CM's get paid overtime wages? When I worked at an amusement park years ago, we didn't get paid any more for overtime hours than we did for regular hours. I think they got around it because we were seasonal workers, but California's laws may be more strict about that.

Just wondering.

Regardless, hang in there, we really do appreciate you!

TP2000
06-20-2005, 05:47 PM

If this involves a Union Contract, then you had an opportunity to vote for it or against it. And if the new contract passed, then a majority voted for it. Did you vote against it?

Either people didn't read what the contract said that they were voting for, or their Union leadership misrepresented to the membership what they had negotiated with the company.

This is your Union dues at work!