PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hotel vs. Grand Californian for kids

Pages : [1] 2

Daveylegs
06-17-2005, 06:51 PM
My wife and I are bringing our family to DLR this November (right before Thanksgiving). We've stayed at DLH the last two times we've come and have loved it. We love the pool and we always have a character breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen.

This fall we're considering the Grand Californian for a few reasons: With the new promotion it's not much more expensive; we are bringing our 1 year old (in addition to the other two, 4 and 7) and we like the idea of being closer to the park for the afternoon naps.

I do have some questions about GC though.
1. Does a lot of sound bleed from DTD? This is a concern since I'm a light sleeper.
2. Will we be missing a lot pool-wise? We love the Neverland pool. Will it be too cold that time of year to enjoy the pool anyway?
3. How does the GCH look during the holidays?
4. Overall, how does it compare to the DLH? Is it too adult oriented?

Thank you for your input. This forum has been so great at answering my questions!

Daveylegs
06-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Oh, and please let me know of the difference between Goofy's kitchen breakfast and Storyteller's breakfast.
Thanks!

scaeagles
06-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Go with the GC. No doubt.

The holiday decor is nothing less than breath taking.

The proximity to the park is beyond convenient.

Over Christmas we had a room literally looking right out onto the Sephora of DTD, on the third floor. Noise was never an issue.

You won't want to swim in late November, I'm sure.

I don't think it's too adult oriented. My kids are 11, 5, 3, and they love it.

Storytellers food is completely incomparable to Goofy's. Sooooooo much better it's ridiculous.

GC is incredible - I don't think you can go wrong there.

kohl
06-17-2005, 07:29 PM
We have never had a problem with noise at the GCH. This is the place our family loves to stay at when we get good rates.
You never know with the weather. It can be great weather for swimming, or it might rain.(Not too likely, but you never know with the weather these days)
My kids are 6 and 8 and love the GCH pool. They have a slide the kids love to go down.
It is decorated beautiful for Christmas. They put up a HUGE tree in the lobby.
My kids are actully love the GCH over the DLH. Not that they don't like DLH, but we just love the feeling of the GCH.
My kids prefer Goofy's Kitchen over Storytellers for breakfast. There are a lot more characters at Goofy's and more food there they like.There are a few characters that walk around Storytellers, but not as many as Goofy's. Now, my husband prefers the food at Storytellers for breakfast than at Goofy's.
The hotel and restaurant is great for kids. It's Disneyland!

Wendi
06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Go for the Grand... but be forewarned... you won't want to stay anywhere else again!!! The best part is proximity, you won't even think twice about taking the baby up for a little break, or running back to get something you forgot, or just swinging through to take advantage of a quick nap in the middle of the day.

Storyteller's is my favorite character breakfast... the food is soooooo good! I like lunch and dinner there too!

You won't hear anything unless you've got your sliding glass door open.

Oh, and GCH has a really fun waterslide, but you probably won't want to swim at that time of year anyway.

MrsG
06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
I do have some questions about GC though.
1. Does a lot of sound bleed from DTD? This is a concern since I'm a light sleeper.
2. Will we be missing a lot pool-wise? We love the Neverland pool. Will it be too cold that time of year to enjoy the pool anyway?
4. Overall, how does it compare to the DLH? Is it too adult oriented?

Thank you for your input. This forum has been so great at answering my questions!
1. I've always worried about that too. We've always had a courtyard view with the Monorail going past and never had a problem with noise - either from the Monorail or DTD.
2. The weather may be too cool for the pool, then again we may have a warm spell! The pool is very nice at GCH. No pirate ship, but there is a mini slide for the kiddies. Not to mention you have White Water Snacks right there!
3. They have a huge tree right by the big, beaautiful fireplace!
4. I don't have any kids, but others have said the location is great for nap time.

sierranevada
06-17-2005, 08:43 PM
It is my preferred room view! With the sliding door close, we never heard anything - and we were there during Christmas when DTD had lots of performers!

I like the GC pool better the than Neverland pool - and my son prefers their slide! And it may not be too cold - we swam last December!

In a word....STUNNING!

]4. Overall, how does it compare to the DLH? Is it too adult oriented?
While the DLH is my favorite, the GC is a more luxurious hotel! Here is a thread that discussed some perks of staying at the GC.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=35900

You will love it!

Daveylegs
06-18-2005, 08:20 AM
I appreciate all of the responses. Based on the positive reviews, I think we'll plan on the GCH this fall!

biolabetty
06-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Oh, and don't forget about the bunk bed rooms at GCH, our kids loved theirs. We had left their stuffed animals and pillows on the counter when we went to the park, and when we came back, housekeeping had arranged their animals and pillows on the bunk beds with little chocolates. They felt very special.

Daveylegs
06-18-2005, 06:59 PM
I booked the vacation today. GCH with standard view - bunk beds requested (I asked for these before the last post so I'm glad to hear favorable reviews).

I hope it'll be nicely decorated for the holidays by then!

Disney Vault
06-18-2005, 09:35 PM
GCH for sure. It is so close to everything so it will be great for kids. And the holiday decorations are amazing. And you get great views from that hotel.

Rhiannon8404
06-19-2005, 06:27 AM
When do the holiday decorations at GCH go up? Is it the same time frame as for the park decorations? Are there decorations in the rooms or just the lobby?

scaeagles
06-19-2005, 07:32 AM
When do the holiday decorations at GCH go up? Is it the same time frame as for the park decorations? Are there decorations in the rooms or just the lobby?

Not sure when they go up, but they are in the lobnby and all floors, though not in the rooms.

leota's necklace
06-19-2005, 03:35 PM
I dunno, I wonder about people who decide on staying at the GC with younger children. The atmosphere is so obviously more adult. When I stayed there two years ago, children definitely seemed out of place. I loved coming back to my quiet room after a day at the park, but I could very clearly hear the family with excited kids (staying six rooms down and across the hall) as they talked in their room, watched t.v., and slammed the door coming and going to get snacks and visit the pool. I also really miss having a relaxing, non-character breakfast at Storyteller's.

There's been more children there when I've visted recently, and though there are more of them, they still seem like they'd be happier over at the DLH. They certainly don't look like they enjoy or appreciate eating at Napa Rose. The Neverland pool sure is cooler, kid-wise. Goofy's kitchen has more characters, more kid-based food options, and better sound (lower ceilings). And they look bored out of their minds in the lobby, or in the gift shop, which is filled with don't-touch stuff like stained glass lamps and artisan pottery.

I don't want to raise the ire of any Padders who stay at the GC with their kids. I'm sure they're all little angels. :) And yes, there are a lot of kids who are used to being around adults and can comport themselves accordingly. The location of the hotel sure can't be beat, either. But the DLH seems to be built to cater to kids, why not take advantage of the design? Leave the GCH for a time when it can be appreciated by everyone in the family, not just Mom and Dad.

disney jones
06-19-2005, 03:50 PM
just a few points.

Via the DTD Monorail station, the DLH's Sierra Tower and Marina Tower is actually closer to DL than the GCH is. Put another way: DLH (the two towers above) is closer to the DTD Monorail Station than GCH is, and thus DLH is closer to Disneyland - the Sierra Tower is the closest and by far the most convenient hotel for DL access on DLR property. Obviously, DCA is closer to GCH sits it sits right next to it.

My kids loved the bunk beds at GCH - that was their favorite part about staying there.

Goofy's Kitchen is the best character meal there is for kids. Storyteller's has great food especially for adults, but far less characters available for interaction.

The pool situation is a toss-up. They have a small, very shallow circular kiddie pool at GCH that a small toddler would feel very comfortable with out any deep end at all. DL has a bigger little kids pool that is too deep in some parts for a toddler. GCH's bigger pool also has a small kiddie slide - both hotels have a big water slide. And i love the fun Neverland theme of DLH.

If you've never stayed at GCH, stay there, check it out, and enjoy it, especially if the kids like bunk beds, then make your own choice in the future. For return trips in the future if it was just me and my girls and a kid-oriented trip, i'd stay at the DLH and use the savings on rooms for character breakfasts and other stuff.

infinite
06-19-2005, 05:58 PM
My boys prefer the Grand Californian, they like the atmosphere.

And Pinocchio’s workshop is located in the Grand Californian, as well as storytelling hour in the concierge lounge.

So I agree to a point, the atmosphere at Grand Californian is different, but I don’t think it is necessarily more adult, just a different style, feel, pace. My children are VERY introverted, and start to get overwhelmed easily, and the Grand Californian is a nice break for them. They also appreciate the architecture (possibly because they have studied architectural styles), and the Storyteller breakfast is their favorite.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
06-19-2005, 07:14 PM
I prefer the GCH, my husband prefers the DLH, so we compromise and switch off. The kids prefer the DLH as they get to ride the monorail into the park. And the feel is much more disney oriented.

The disadvantage to the GCH is the location of the rooms we always seem to be assigned when we book with our AP's. DTD views and all the way at the end of the hall, with a stroller you can't really shortcut down the stairs and have to walk all the way to the lobby. The walk is nearly as far as walking to the DLH through DTD.

Daveylegs
06-20-2005, 07:40 AM
I dunno, I wonder about people who decide on staying at the GC with younger children. The atmosphere is so obviously more adult. When I stayed there two years ago, children definitely seemed out of place. I loved coming back to my quiet room after a day at the park, but I could very clearly hear the family with excited kids (staying six rooms down and across the hall) as they talked in their room, watched t.v., and slammed the door coming and going to get snacks and visit the pool. I also really miss having a relaxing, non-character breakfast at Storyteller's.

There's been more children there when I've visted recently, and though there are more of them, they still seem like they'd be happier over at the DLH. They certainly don't look like they enjoy or appreciate eating at Napa Rose. The Neverland pool sure is cooler, kid-wise. Goofy's kitchen has more characters, more kid-based food options, and better sound (lower ceilings). And they look bored out of their minds in the lobby, or in the gift shop, which is filled with don't-touch stuff like stained glass lamps and artisan pottery.

I don't want to raise the ire of any Padders who stay at the GC with their kids. I'm sure they're all little angels. :) And yes, there are a lot of kids who are used to being around adults and can comport themselves accordingly. The location of the hotel sure can't be beat, either. But the DLH seems to be built to cater to kids, why not take advantage of the design? Leave the GCH for a time when it can be appreciated by everyone in the family, not just Mom and Dad.

I know you're not trying to raise any ire. But it sounds like you're concerned about kids ruining your experience at GCH. Are you really expecting to stay at a hotel that offers a kiddie pool, bunk beds, and a character breakfast and not see lots and lots of young children?

I suppose it is all relative. Seeing kids that are bored in the lobby - well, a lobby is a pretty boring place in most hotels. Apart from videos at the DLH, the lobby there is not so exciting either. I love the ponds and dancing waters at DLH but I also am looking forward to being a stones throw from GRR.

I must say that complaining about too many kids at DLR is kind of funny. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but you must admit that your arguement smacks of irony.

Matt Hamand
06-20-2005, 07:48 AM
The pool situation is a toss-up. They have a small, very shallow circular kiddie pool at GCH that a small toddler would feel very comfortable with out any deep end at all. DL has a bigger little kids pool that is too deep in some parts for a toddler. GCH's bigger pool also has a small kiddie slide - both hotels have a big water slide. And i love the fun Neverland theme of DLH.
We stayed at DLH in July of 2002 and found the pool to be disgusting. Too many people, gross water. Not fun at all. We went down the water slide once and left.

Last year we stayed at the GCH, at approximately the same time frame. The pool was much nicer. Less people, clean water, just nicer. We went on the water slide at least a dozen times.

This year when I was booking the room I asked my wife which hotel she wanted to stay at. The price difference was about $70. She didn't hesitate to say GCH. The pool was the deal breaker.

pisces
06-20-2005, 09:12 AM

As a single adult who stayed at GCH during the busiest time of the year, I can say that the GC kids I saw were very well behaved, and seemed, somehow, very content and soothed by the GC tranquil atmosphere and serene environment. It was very kid friendly, with the rocking chairs, the milk and cookies and storytime near the fireplace. The Bambi bedspread, and Owl motif showercurtain...or was that owl bedspread and Bambi showercurtain? I'm getting emotional just thinking about that.....

The Chip-n-Dale chocolates...and the owl chocolates..... (What is that Owl's name????)

So special.

Storytellers: Don't confuse volume of Characters with kid-friendly-ness. Storytellers is an absolute delight with all the decorative etching, and 4 fireplaces.

Just because adults are delighted and charmed, doesn't mean it isn't kid-friendly. The Grand Californian has done the impossible. They have created a charming and delightful space that enchants kids as well as adults.

DISNEY JONES: The Grand Californian is closer to the original Park than any other hotel. If you cut through the GC's corridors and exit out by La Brea Bakery, you are a couple of steps away from the Main Gate. That's a far cry from having to get on a Monorail, only to be left off at Tomorrowland.

I'll say it again: There is nothing closer to the Parks, both parks, other than GC.

10-97
06-20-2005, 09:52 AM
1. Noise: We've had three different views at GCH: resort view, courtyard view, and DTD view. The rooms are well insulated, and with the patio door closed, the rooms are surprisingly quiet. The only noise still audible through the closed doors was from the amplified sound of the street musicians in DTD. I think the musicians had a 10 pm curfew. I am also a light sleeper, but I was able to fall asleep when the music stopped.

2. Pools: We stayed at GCH last year just before Christmas, and we still used the pool. The weather was great for December, and that was a big factor (it was over 80 degrees on our first day). My kids prefer the Neverland pool at DLH, but they still have a good time at GCH. The Redwood pool has a themed slide, and there are two spas and a wading pool. My wife and I prefer the GCH pool, because it is less crowded, and you can always find an empty lounge chair.

3. Decorations: GCH is nice at Christmas. The lobby area (The Great Hall) has a large tree, and Santa is often there for photos. The fireplace and the decorations gave it a nice look for the holidays.

4. DLH vs. GCH: My kids prefer the theming at DLH. My wife and I prefer the decor and convenience of GCH. The convenience is a big plus. If anybody gets wet, hungry, or tired, you are always just a few minutes away from your room.

5. Storyteller's Cafe: We've never had the character breakfast there, but it's one of our favorite places for dinner.

6. Whitewater Snacks: IMHO, they have some of the best food in the resort. Everything from the grill is made fresh while you wait.

So...I recommend that you try GCH.

PragmaticIdealist
06-20-2005, 02:17 PM

I agree mostly, but I think every child is different. The Grand Californian does have a certain quietude and decorum that the Disneyland Hotel does not have. And, parents should consider whether or not their particular children are able to, as leota's necklace says, comport themselves accordingly. If they are, then there should be no problem.

During the few times I have stayed at the Grand Californian and the other times when I visit, I have even seen behavior by adults that was in questionable taste, including traipsing through the lobby barefoot and in bathrobes. I also saw, at one time, adults allow their children to run around and through the flower beds outside Storyteller's Cafe. So, I do think that families with more rambunctious children have a lesser likelihood of bothering other Hotel Guests at the Disneyland Hotel since it simply has more space and since Guests there already expect the establishment to have more children and more activity.

tlovesdis
06-20-2005, 02:39 PM
We atayed at the GCH in December of 2003 with my then 3 1/2 year old niece. It was a great time! We swam several times (the pool was heated to 80 degrees). We had a DTD view room and noise was not a problem as long as the sliding door was closed. We enjoyed sitting out on our balcony listening to the music each night! Once we went in and shut the door we couldn't hear anything outside! The one drawback to the DTD view rooms is that they are sooooooo far from the elevators! We actually got lost one night because I tried to take short cut! It was pretty funny!

The pool at the GCH is great! I loved the slide and how there is more than one pool to enjoy!

I also love the DLH, but the Grand is great for location and atmosphere!

VickiC
06-20-2005, 02:52 PM
I always feel funny walking back from the pool, barefoot and wrapped in a towel in nice hotels, but how else are you supposed to get back to your room?

infinite
06-20-2005, 03:21 PM
I always feel funny walking back from the pool, barefoot and wrapped in a towel in nice hotels, but how else are you supposed to get back to your room?

Sandals and a sarong or robe.