PDA

View Full Version : Main Street Cinema

Normouse
06-17-2005, 09:16 AM
For those of us who enjoy classic Disney animation, it would be nice if the shorts were rotated more often. I have enjoyed all of the current selections, and would love to see a larger variety offered. And wouldn't it be fantastic if there were a state-of-the-art theater (probably not on Main Street) where the full-length Disney animated features could be showcased on a daily basis?
There are also a wealth of other Disney sound shorts that won Oscars in the thirties and forties that might be presented, as well.

But I still love to see the early black-and-whites. The organ music could be toned down a little so that the original sound effects are more audible.
I only wish that Disneyland would be a place where we could see all of the wonderful animation that Walt created.

Opus1guy
06-17-2005, 10:13 AM
They used to do this in the old Fantasyland Theater (now gone). They rotated between various cartoon shorts and featurettes (such as the 20 minute Pooh films). Ward Kimball's classic live-action/animation "It's Tough To Be A Bird" played there for some time. Occasionally they even screened one of the few 3D cartoon shorts, and you got the glasses to wear.

It had that great Mickey Mouse Club curtain like the one on the old B&W TV series (might have even been the very one). Whenever it was open you just walked in at anytime and joined whatever cartoon was already running...just like the Main Street Cinema.

It was always nice and air conditioned in there, so it was a welcome break from a hot crowded summer day. You had that same daylight blast effect like you do coming out of a lunch at the Blue Bayou.

In those pre-Home Video days, it often provided many a young Guest's first exposure to classic Disney animated shorts.

:)

Disneynerd
06-17-2005, 11:07 AM
But that would ruin my oh-no-not-Steamboat-Willie-AGAIN joke ;)

Doesn't the Animation Building in DCA give a nod to Walt Disney animation throughout the years?

Shortiemetoo
06-17-2005, 02:40 PM
They used to do this in the old Fantasyland Theater (now gone). They rotated between various cartoon shorts and featurettes (such as the 20 minute Pooh films). Ward Kimball's classic live-action/animation "It's Tough To Be A Bird" played there for some time. Occasionally they even screened one of the few 3D cartoon shorts, and you got the glasses to wear.

It had that great Mickey Mouse Club curtain like the one on the old B&W TV series (might have even been the very one). Whenever it was open you just walked in at anytime and joined whatever cartoon was already running...just like the Main Street Cinema.

It was always nice and air conditioned in there, so it was a welcome break from a hot crowded summer day. You had that same daylight blast effect like you do coming out of a lunch at the Blue Bayou.

In those pre-Home Video days, it often provided many a young Guest's first exposure to classic Disney animated shorts.

:)

I so remember that...wow..I hadn't thought about that in YEARS!!! Thanks!

PirateSmile
06-17-2005, 03:33 PM
I love old Disney shorts, but that place is so cool and breezey I can't help but falling asleep in there sometimes.

Mukta
06-18-2005, 06:57 PM
For those of us who enjoy classic Disney animation, it would be nice if the shorts were rotated more often. I have enjoyed all of the current selections, and would love to see a larger variety offered. And wouldn't it be fantastic if there were a state-of-the-art theater (probably not on Main Street) where the full-length Disney animated features could be showcased on a daily basis?
There are also a wealth of other Disney sound shorts that won Oscars in the thirties and forties that might be presented, as well.

But I still love to see the early black-and-whites. The organ music could be toned down a little so that the original sound effects are more audible.
I only wish that Disneyland would be a place where we could see all of the wonderful animation that Walt created.

I have been having those exact same thoughts lately. I used to stop in there all of the time, but I am growing tired of the same cartoons.

The organ music is too loud. I would love to hear the original music to some of those shorts. Maybe we should drop some comments by in City Hall.