PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hotel?

Frappalotie
02-02-2002, 05:51 PM
http://home1.gte.net/gasgano/frankheaddance.gif

Just a few Questions abput the Disneyland hotel, namely ...

IS IT WORTH IT?

I have been doing alot of online checking, and calling around trying to find a nice hotel to stay at in the disneyland area. The deal is there are over 20 in one AREA! So I would love to stay at the disneyland hotel and I am wondering why is it worth it? or why is it worth it in your opinion as compared to other hotels that cost up to 100$ less and are just a stones throw away.

Have you had bad experiences?

what are the advantages or disadvantages to staying at this pricey hotel? I have always wanted to stay, but whats the big deal! I think most people spend 80% of their time in disneyland, you only sleep in a hotel right? maybee I am wrong

SORRY ABOUT the SCARY avatar, I was quite intoxicated during its inception! HAHAA HIDE YOUR CHILDRENS EYES!

thanks by the way for all of your help, its very much appreciated!

:confused:

MammaSilva
02-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Well I can only speak from my personal experience .....we go at least 2x a year, and we have stayed on property, the "up side" of being at the Disney Hotel, the atmosphere, the characters in the Lobby when you check in (Disneyland hotel) the room service, the little charge slip you get ....the front of the line to the monorail....and when we stayed it was early entry so that was a perk, but that feature is gone now.....now the bottom line ????? is it worth 3x the price for the room/experience, I don't really think so. I mean we enjoyed it but it was not worth spending 3x what a room across the street from the crosswalk IMHO.. but each person is different.

Ghoulish Delight
02-02-2002, 08:53 PM
They all look the same with your eyes closed, as my father likes to point out. If you don't care about being completely emersed in the Disney experience (although I don't think seeing a couple more characters does a WHOLE lot to add to it), then I doubt it'd be worth it to you. Heck, they won't even send your purchases to your room anymore! Yet another perk gone.

innerSpaceman
02-02-2002, 09:51 PM
Not worth it. Not really more exciting than a good Hilton. No theming to speak of, at least not in the sense that WDW hotels are themed. There are much cheaper and much closer to Disneyland hotels and motels across the street on Harbor Blvd. Less walking distance, less strain on your wallet, and a rooms a room (there's nothing special about the rooms at the Disneyland Hotel).

Now the Grand Californian, that's another story. Themed to the hilt. Steps away from the Parks. Overpriced as can be. But, for the comparitive value, less overpriced than the Disneyland Hotel (even though it is more expensive).

Nigel2
02-02-2002, 09:59 PM
Well here if you have kids it is much eaiser to go to DH, PP, or GC hotels since they are all "right there" and you don't have to go across ball road and so forth. (going off of what others say) Most of the off site hotels have shuttles but in some cases they share so it can be a little bit of a wait. On site can be acessed by foot or monorail so that is a perk. But at WDW on site is highly recomended because their transport is much more reliable (from some of the off site stories I hear, we were glad we stayed on site).

mrfantasmic
02-02-2002, 10:07 PM
Now, I've never been to any of the resort hotels, but my choir department at Heritage Festivals stayed at this cozy little place right across from DCA. Like, right next to Screamin'. Not very extravagant, but the cozy little rooms gave me a good nights sleep.
CAUTION: If you get an upstairs room, check and see if the bathroom door handle works.
I... uh, well, my room had a little trouble with ours. I wonder if his skeleton is still there... :D

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
02-02-2002, 11:13 PM
Stay Offsite and Save $$$

Here's a good idea - break up your d-land visits to 5 hour trips - park in Downtown Disney and use the Monorail which is right there. It's the same distance as if you were staying at the D-land hotel. - You also have free parking for 5 hours

That works for the afternoon break (most trip reports suggest getting there super early - taking a 3-4 hour mid-day break and returning for the evening/night).

During your break you could stop at the liquor store - shore up on Barcardi (or whatever) and then pour a fair amount into your disney cup from the first half of your day and walk around at night all buzzed and ret' to ride splash mountain over and over again. That way you don't waste more $$$ with expensive beers at the beer wagon and rita's "drop-of-tequilla" margaitas

:-)

btw - cute dancing head! - love it

PinkFloyd
02-02-2002, 11:49 PM
I have to agree with what others have posted above. Since I was a little girl I always dreamed of staying at the Disneyland Hotel, but since I grew up in Oxnard there wasn't really a need for a hotel. I was extreamly excited about staying there last year, but I was compleatly let down. Don't get me wrong, its a beautiful property, but like others noted above, its better to save your money for shopping, dining etc. There is littlle provided in the rooms that suggest Disney besides a few toilteries, a picture and a Tinkerbell wallpaper border.

However, I think it would be nice to see the property if you are planning on staying a few days. There is a nice gazebo which you can visit if there is not a wedding ocuring, a beautiful waterfall area etc...sorry for the long winded message but I just don't want you to be disapointed as I was.

tjrj
02-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Priorities, priorities, priorities. Do you want to save money(most do) or pay more for the experience of staying on-site at least once-they have taken many of the perks away for paying the price of staying on site, so it really matters about what is your priority for this trip. I've stayed both off-site and on-site-the last at the GC(it's definitely a 'wow' experience). If you decide to stay on-site for a day or two-try expedia.com or mousesavers.com for a good rate. They had the PP for $93 and upwards for the other two.

MammaSilva
02-03-2002, 09:45 AM
Just a side note here.... the grounds are open to anyone, not just hotel guests, you can stroll thru and see the beautiful Koi ponds and the watershow and other aspects of the grounds, you just can't access the swimming pools, and while the Neverland pool looks way cool the kids told me it wasn't all that and a bag of chips as far as actually swimming in it... too much "wait" time for the slides and stuff and it was way to crowded for their tastes.

cyberRoo
02-04-2002, 10:04 AM
We used to come down 4 or 5 times a year (from San Francisco), and stayed "offsite" at the Fairfield Inn for almost all visits, and were always very happy there.

Staying at the DL Hotel just makes the whole experience a little more special. It was enough for us to spend the extra money maybe once a year (usually for a holiday trip)... It's not as dramatic as staying on-site in WDW, but it does add an almost subconscious magic to your visit...

Ace
02-04-2002, 12:57 PM
if I have to see that avatar one more time....

MouseWife
02-04-2002, 02:44 PM
Well. As some of you know, I used to stay at the Ramada. That is now the Fairfield Inn. It is nice, they have a shuttle too, I'm sure.
McDonald's is in the parking lot. Price wise, it may not be as inexpensive as it once was.

We've stayed at the Paradise Pier. That is pretty nice, it is not as expensive at the other two hotels, comparable {if you get the right discount-AAA or what ever} to other nice hotels. You can walk over to Downtown Disney to eat or right by the pool we ate at Croc's and Bits and it was pretty inexpensive. Of course, you can eat there just by walking up, too.

There is also a brand spankin' new Embassy Suites. I like these as they serve a made to order breakfast~no continental b.s. They also serve drinks in the early evening. Shuttle is reliable and we weren't crowded out at all. They might have introductory rates still available. Also in the parking lot~Buca di Beppos.

Also, check the Anaheim/Orange County Visitors bureau. They can offer specials and maybe coupons.

I always call all over and check prices. Even if I make a reservation and find a better deal, I change it. Just check their cancellation policies. I make them over the phone and seem to have no problem cancelling. But, via the internet, I have read some limitations and fees.

MammaSilva
02-04-2002, 06:38 PM
I already have reservations for June at the Fairfield at only 99 a night with 5 in the rooms...not a bad rate for the "high season"

MouseWife
02-04-2002, 06:55 PM
If you are so inclined, you might want to check the Paradise Pier, I have gotten it for $99. And, the Embassy Suites I paid $99. for in Dec. Maybe not now, but maybe.

Gemini Cricket
02-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Now the Grand Californian, that's another story. Themed to the hilt. Steps away from the Parks. Overpriced as can be. But, for the comparitive value, less overpriced than the Disneyland Hotel (even though it is more expensive).

Speaking of the GC... where do you get into the public area of the hotel? I've been to Downtown Disney and seen gated off areas leading to the hotel, but I couldn't find the entrance. Maybe I didn't walk far enough... I'd love to stay there someday. The MP pictures of the hotel are amazing.

:)

tjrj
02-05-2002, 06:04 AM
DL-the enterance to the Grand from Downtown Disney-totally open to all-no id checks or anything is the enterance by the purse store-I can't remember the name. Walk down the hallway and turn right and that will lead you to the hotel. Turn left and it leads to the restaurants and the pool. By all means treat yourself to a walk through at least. By the way, the snack bar, White Water Snacks has really good food at reasonable(gasp!) prices.

tink360
02-25-2002, 11:32 PM
I just visited disneyland again - went with my son last week. We live in seattle and only get to DL once or twice a year. We stayed at the disneyland hotel for the first time (candycane inn was already booked for feb 16, even though I made reservations way back in october).
We stayed in the bonita tower, which admittedly may not be the most ideal part of the hotel to be in. It felt like a generic convention center, not very disneylike at all I thought except for the mickey wallpaper in the bathroom and the mickey soap & shampoo. For the price, it really didn't seem worthwhile. The marble around the sink was pretty, but it obviously hadn't been cleaned by the maid. The desk was very good about sending someone to fix it right away. It would have been better if she hadn't implied that we had caused it after we checked in.
Also had to wait 45 minutes before boarding the monorail to return to our room that night (saturday).
To many people the disneyland hotel is worth the expense. To me, it isn't worth it and I don't think we will stay again. We stayed at candycane inn in a far cleaner room, the customer service was as good or better and it cost 40% of what we payed for DL hotel. Even ordering a room service continental breakfast was $14 per person, and I can't fathom leaving my room without a cup of coffee first. The breakfast buffet at candycane was for the most part better (have to admit coffee far better at disneyland hotel) and *free.* Also, the shuttle is reliable & runs every half hour like clockwork - better than having to stand in a long line for the monorail. After a long day of park-walking, it matters how long it takes to get back to your room. Shuttle bus driver even ran after me to give me my sweater when I had forgotten it on the bus.
So maybe the little problems at DL hotel were just isolated incidents that rarely happen, but even if everything had been better I still don't know that it's worth $220 a night.

-----------------------------------Jackie