PDA

View Full Version : Hilton Hotel

kohl
06-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Hotel across the street from Disneyland?
I would love to hear your comments on the hotel.

sdfilmcritic
06-16-2005, 09:48 PM
I stayed there years and years ago. It's a pretty nice hotel. If you can get a room on the side facing Disneyland you'll get to watch the fireworks from your hotel room! That is an awesome experience I'll always remember. I was staying in a suite about three quarters of the way toward the top of the building and there was one whole wall that was a giant glass window wall so we had no obstruction of view for watching the fireworks. It was awesome!!!

Darkbeer
06-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Have you checked the MousePlanet review page?

http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort%20%2F%20Hotels%20%2F% 20Walking%20distance%20hotels%20south%20of%20Katel la%2C%20near%20the%20Convention%20Center

It is only ranked 8th on the list of the hotels near the convention center..

TripAdvisor.com has it ranked 21st out of 98 hotels in Anaheim...

I think you could do a lot better, especially for the price the Hilton charges...

sleepyjeff
06-16-2005, 10:58 PM
We stayed there last November.

Staff = 5 Stars. They were wonderfull.

Lobby = 4 Stars. It is breathtaking; albeit a tad overwhelming, kinda like an Airport almost.

Rooms = 3 Stars. Very Clean and newish feeling but a little on the small side and nothing any better then one can find at say a Holiday Inn or a nice Best Western.

Pool = 2 Stars. Small for even an average Hotel...tiny, considering this Hotel has some 1500 rooms.

Elevators = Long lines for them anytime a convention is in town.

If you can get a deal to stay here for say, less then $90.00 per night then go for it I say...but it really isn't worth its rack rate.

penguin66
06-17-2005, 06:53 AM
I managed to get concierge level rooms there several years ago because of some overbooking issues with a convention. The concierge lounge was facing away from Disneyland, so we didn't get a chance to see the fireworks. I prefer the rooms at the Marriott and DLH much better. I agree with sleepyjeff that if you can get it for less than $90 per night, ok but I do think you can do better.

DisneylandForever
06-17-2005, 07:05 AM
There are several other hotels I'd rather stay at, but the Hilton itself is a nice hotel. If you're getting some sort of special deal I'd say go for it.

Malcon10t
06-17-2005, 07:34 AM
I managed to get concierge level rooms there several years ago because of some overbooking issues with a convention. The concierge lounge was facing away from Disneyland, so we didn't get a chance to see the fireworks. I prefer the rooms at the Marriott and DLH much better. I agree with sleepyjeff that if you can get it for less than $90 per night, ok but I do think you can do better.

The concierge lounge faces the park (has for the last 7 years we have stayed there) and is fantastic fr viewing the fireworks. The rooms are small compared to other places, but if you stay there, upgrade to the executive floor. Only reason I would stay there now. We have always stayed there, but with so much turnover, we've decided to try other places.

adriennek
06-17-2005, 08:49 AM
I have stayed there several times for conferences. Sometimes because it was the conference hotel, other times because my first choice, the Marriott, was sold out.

I do not like it very much.

Sure, it's clean and all that.

1- The room floors are HUGE. There are two banks of elevators at the center of the hotel. As someone else mentioned, if there's a conference in town at the hotel, the lines will get long. But then once you get to your floor, you can have quite the hike to your room.

2- The Hilton makes a practice of over-booking. The first time we were there during an overbooked weekend, they were sending guests a mile down the road to another Hilton property. We had chosen the Hilton in order to be AT the convention center, not to have to shuttle from miles away. I really hate selecting a property for specific reasons and then being shuttled away. The second time, we were moved to the Marriott and we were actually happy because we preferred the Marriott.

3- As has been mentioned before, the rooms are small.

4- As others have mentioned before, if you can stay in the Marriott, a Disney property (and I don't recommend Disney properties as a rule) or the West Coast Anaheim for a comprable price, I'd go there, instead.

Adrienne

penguin66
06-17-2005, 09:07 AM
The concierge lounge faces the park (has for the last 7 years we have stayed there) and is fantastic fr viewing the fireworks. The rooms are small compared to other places, but if you stay there, upgrade to the executive floor. Only reason I would stay there now. We have always stayed there, but with so much turnover, we've decided to try other places.

They must have moved it between when I stayed and you stayed. I do seem to recall that there was some talk about moving the lounge so the guests could see the fireworks.

kohl
06-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all your comments. I think we will look at other Hotels. We LOVE staying on Disney property, but this July the rates are just too high for us. I know they are so high because of the 50th and summer. Any other suggestions for hotels?

DisneylandForever
06-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Hmmm. Howard Johnson's, The Candy Cane Inn, The Carousel Inn, Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites and The Ramada Maingate (Saga) are a few of my favorites on "the strip." HoJo's being #1, IMO.

Darkbeer
06-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Have you used Travelaxe?

It is a great place to start, just download the program, plug in your dates, and it will search many hotel sites to find the lowest rates. You can then sort by price and find a good deal..

http://www.travelaxe.com

Another good source of rates is MouseSavers.

http://www.mousesavers.com/hojo.html

kohl
06-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info Darkbeer. You always know the answers!
It is so hard to decide which hotel to stay at. We don't want to spend too much money, but don't want a dump either.

DisneylandForever
06-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info Darkbeer. You always know the answers!
It is so hard to decide which hotel to stay at. We don't want to spend too much money, but don't want a dump either.

There aren't too many "dumps" on Harbor (across the st.). If you need more help just narrow it down to 5 or so (based on price or whatever) and present us with the list. We'll steer you clear of the crappy places!

Malcon10t
06-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all your comments. I think we will look at other Hotels. We LOVE staying on Disney property, but this July the rates are just too high for us. I know they are so high because of the 50th and summer. Any other suggestions for hotels?

My preferences would be either Anaheim Desert Inn (rooms are older looking, but good sized and close) or the Anabella. We've stayed at the Park Inn and it was nice. We stayed at the Del Sol and it was very noisy, walls paper thin.