PDA

View Full Version : Monorail Refurb

Pages : [1] 2 3

Noah
06-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi,
Does anyone have the details on Monorail refurb schedule? How long will the monorail be down? Why do they need new trains?
I heard a big reason for the refurb is to rebuild the Tommorow land station to accomodate wheelchair loading for the Nemo ride which will require some new adjustments to the monorail track etc. but I do not know if this is the only reason.
Anyone know the real reason?

phoenixfire2k5
06-16-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi,
Does anyone have the details on Monorail refurb schedule? How long will the monorail be down? Why do they need new trains?
I heard a big reason for the refurb is to rebuild the Tommorow land station to accomodate wheelchair loading for the Nemo ride which will require some new adjustments to the monorail track etc. but I do not know if this is the only reason.
Anyone know the real reason?

That sounds like it might be the reason for it. They need to redo the que for the nemo ride, and would need something to accomodate wheelchairs. But if memory serves correctly, they have an elevator there for wheelchairs. It doesn't seem right that they wouldn't have one after all this time that the monorail has been open. If they are going to keep it closed, and for a long period of time such as to add new trains, maybe they should take the time to add a stop at the Grand Californian. But they are in the middle of their 50th. So I can't imagine them having it closed for a long period of time. It is a major connection between their hotel and the park.

hlbtimes2
06-16-2005, 02:19 PM
I havent heard anything about the monorail being refurbed. When is that scheduled for?

SoCalSteven
06-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Since when are they putting in new trains? There was talk of a new train long ago, but it sounded like it was years away.

Darkbeer
06-16-2005, 05:47 PM
The rumored refurb, which should start right after the first of the Year (early January, 2006) is mainly for the rebuilding of the station in Tomorrowland, but they are hoping to have new Monorails built and ready to go when the attraction returns, more than likely sometime in 2007.

It is planned to do a major refurb on the track, but not to replace any segment of it. More like painting, checking all the wiring, including replacing some segments, etc.....

SoCalSteven
06-16-2005, 05:54 PM
The rumored refurb, which should start right after the first of the Year (early January, 2006) is mainly for the rebuilding of the station in Tomorrowland, but they are hoping to have new Monorails built and ready to go when the attraction returns, more than likely sometime in 2007.

It is planned to do a major refurb on the track, but not to replace any segment of it. More like painting, checking all the wiring, including replacing some segments, etc.....
Would the trains be different, or duplicates of the ones there are now?

Darkbeer
06-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Would the trains be different, or duplicates of the ones there are now?

Monorail Orange was moved in June 2004 to the WDI facilities in North Hollywood...

http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040628.htm

Since the rebuilding of the Tomorrowland Station, and the completion of the rumored Finding Nemo attraction will take at sometime in 2007, Disney is hoping they will at least have finished a couple of these "retro-engineered" trains finished. So they will be basically the same train, with some modern enhancements, both in safety, and just to take advantage of systems and devices not available when the Mark V's where built.

Here is a nice MP article regarding the Mark V's...

http://www.mouseplanet.com/mark/mg040114.htm

Noah
06-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Wow, so this is a Major refurb, Having the monorails down for a whole year! Uh oh, I guess the main entryway plaza is going to be EXTRA crowded for a while once this refurb starts! I sure am glad Matt pulled for the refurb though, the monorail is a big part of Disneyland history and innovation even if not everyone rides it.

JosieGirl71
06-17-2005, 08:39 AM
So much for staying at DLH next year!

phoenixfire2k5
06-17-2005, 11:15 AM
So much for staying at DLH next year!

There is the tram that connects to it. It requires extra walking, but it is an alternative. And just maybe Disney will compensate for the lack of the monorail. Such as providing a shuttle bus that will load up in the east shuttle area and go to the hotel.

Darkbeer
06-17-2005, 11:32 AM
And just maybe Disney will compensate for the lack of the monorail. Such as providing a shuttle bus that will load up in the east shuttle area and go to the hotel.

Well, right now, the Monorail is closed for an hour a day due to the fireworks (from about 8:45 to 9:45 PM nightly), and they aren't offering alternative transportation...

They have offered both the Monorail, and a tram ever since the Monorail opened up. And it remained that way until Downtown Disney opened...

Now you are expected to walk by the shops....:rolleyes:

CrazyTrain
06-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Whoa... what? The monorrail is going to be closed for avYEAR??!? :crying: Oh please say it isn't so! :crying:

Darkbeer
06-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Whoa... what? The monorrail is going to be closed for avYEAR??!? :crying: Oh please say it isn't so! :crying:

More than likely closer to 18 months, depending on construction on the new station and sub queue area, plus the progress of the new rumored Sub attraction, I doubt they would open one up prior to the other.....

Shortiemetoo
06-17-2005, 02:30 PM
When I was there in Jan. the monorail broke down 4 or 5 times...It was raining but is this unusual?? Because I don't ever remember it being broken down when I was there the gazillion other times I've been there!!

Ok so I exaggerated...more like 40!!

CrazyTrain
06-18-2005, 10:07 AM
18 months!
I will wither and die! :crying:

They're at least gonna add a looop to the track, right? ;)

phoenixfire2k5
06-18-2005, 10:14 AM
18 months!
I will wither and die! :crying:

They're at least gonna add a looop to the track, right? ;)

A loop? This is the post about the monorail refurb, isnt it? The day they make a loop for the monorail and defy gravity and physics, is the day that I will be able to fly like Superman or Neo.

phoenixfire2k5
06-18-2005, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=Darkbeer]Well, right now, the Monorail is closed for an hour a day due to the fireworks (from about 8:45 to 9:45 PM nightly), and they aren't offering alternative transportation...

Yeah, cause it's going to reopen. If it is going to be closed for a long period of time, they should offer an alternative way other than the tram.

CrazyTrain
06-18-2005, 10:20 AM
A loop? This is the post about the monorail refurb, isnt it? The day they make a loop for the monorail and defy gravity and physics, is the day that I will be able to fly like Superman or Neo.

:D The day they make a loop for the monorail is the last day I'll ride it, improbabilities aside! :p

MickeyLumbo
06-18-2005, 10:23 AM
there will be two alternatives:

monorail cast members will be pulling little red wagons for those that don't want to walk

Darkbeer
06-18-2005, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=Darkbeer]Well, right now, the Monorail is closed for an hour a day due to the fireworks (from about 8:45 to 9:45 PM nightly), and they aren't offering alternative transportation...

Yeah, cause it's going to reopen. If it is going to be closed for a long period of time, they should offer an alternative way other than the tram.

Hey I have read complaints about ART shuttles taking a lunch break during the slowest time ot the day, and that the service is down for 30 minutes.....

So it is OK to take an hour break, but not a half-hour one:confused:

Disney Vault
06-18-2005, 09:36 PM
This will also help to prevent people from seeing all the construction in the lagoon.

SoCalDude
06-19-2005, 11:52 PM

LOL - look behind you and up ;) You should be able to see the joke that went flying over your head :p

But ya - for 18 months they better add a few stops at the least... I am sure they could build a 100% new track with cars in 18 months!

phoenixfire2k5
06-20-2005, 09:01 AM
LOL - look behind you and up ;) You should be able to see the joke that went flying over your head :p

But ya - for 18 months they better add a few stops at the least... I am sure they could build a 100% new track with cars in 18 months!

LOL! At last! I've finally found people as crazy as me!

Noah
08-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Get your monorail rides in now, per the very informative Miceage article today, the monorail will be down from Winter 06 till Thanksgiving 07 at the earliest!

Disneyfun
08-02-2005, 01:17 PM
This will also help to prevent people from seeing all the construction in the lagoon.
Probably the real reason for the long Rehab. I mean come on does it really take 18 months to paint and fix parts of the track. Also If they were dong new stuff to the trains WHy could they not just always have one down at a time while fixing the others.
Sorry But my vote is they do not want any sneak peaks pictures showing up on the internet.