PDA

View Full Version : Which tour would you take?

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
06-16-2005, 01:33 PM
My girlfriend and I are flying down to Disneyland for a quick (two days, one night) visit in late July. We thought that this was the right time to finally take a tour, since we usually go to DL with our families and with seven little girls between us (ages 2-6), a group tour just hasn't worked out yet. We've both been to DLR lots of times, so we don't really want the Welcome tour. I've been reading a lot of reviews, but still can't decide between A Walk in Walt's Footsteps and the new 50th Anniversary Tour. If you've done both and have any advice about which one we should choose, I'd appreciate it!

bradk
06-16-2005, 01:45 PM
i haven't done walt's, but i've heard mixed reviews (although a lot of people on here seem to like it). if you're not obsessed with the idea of visiting club 33 (the lobby anyway), i'd probably suggest the 50th. you'll get almost walk-on access to 3 major attractions, priority viewing for the parade or fireworks (i suggest doing the parade ones) and a lot of historical content as well. especially in the middle of summer, the chance to walk right on to splash mountain mid-day sounds pretty appealing to me.

ozbeauticn
06-16-2005, 02:23 PM
I have done both tours and would probably recommend a Walk in Walt's Foosteps more. Although I enjoyed both tours, I got into the Walt tour more. The 50th tour didnt seem to follow a clear storyline or agenda. Our tour guide rambled off random facts as we walked and often I had a hard time following her so I just spaced out on my own. I took one of the first tours, so it may be more organized now. Also, make sure you know exactly where your reserved seating is, because frankly ours sucked. Also, we took the Walt tour during the refurb of tiki room and the railroad. I'm not sure what it normally includes, but it seemed a lot more laid back and relaxed. The 50th tour seemed more like "here's a bunch of random facts and let's keep moving." I did enjoy both tours, but was probably a little put off by the ending of my 50th tour. I suppose I would recommend both depending on if all the kinks have been worked out...

mmurray54
06-16-2005, 02:29 PM
I've done both and, in my opinion they are both good.

The Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour gives a lot of detail / info about the park, and history about it as well, and a look inside the lobby of Club 33. The price of the tour included lunch and a pin that can’t be purchased any where else.

The new 50th tour, depending on what time slot you signup for will go over the history of lands of Disneyland, give you priority entrance to an attraction in the land that you are going over. They also give you a snack box with I think a cookie, apple, maybe some chips, and a 1/2 size bottle of water. They have promised some stuff to go with the tour like, a pin, E-Ticket booklet etc... but I haven't received anything yet. You do get a picture of your group at the end of the tour and they ask that you sign their scrap book.

My recommendation is.. if you can afford it take both. Otherwise, if this is your one and only visit to the park with out the kids and family during the 50th anniversary take the 50th tour while it's still around, since I assume that it will go away after the 50th celebration is over, and that the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour will still be there after the celebration is over.

disneyland addict13
06-16-2005, 02:39 PM
WAIT!! I didn't even know there WAS a new 50th Tour. I thought the Walk in Walt's Footsteps was the new tour! They don't advertise the new 50th tour on the Disneyland website! Help I'm sooo confused!

MsYumiBr
06-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Don't feel alone. I asked my travel agent to book the 50th tour (it has a different formal name) and she didn't know about it. WDTC couldn't book it for me either. I called the hotel and they couldn't book it. The only people who actually know anything about it is the tour and fantasmic/electrical parade buffet seating booking office and they only take reservations 30 days (or one month) out. It just started May 5th so most people pretty much clueless about it (except those on MousePlanet :fez: ).

Niwel
06-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Here's the MP review of the 50th tour: http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm050512avp.htm

And one on Walk in Walt's:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/sue/sk021113.htm

Drince88
06-16-2005, 03:44 PM
So they are still running Walk in Walt's Footsteps at the same time they're running the 50th Tour? I would have thought (ah, there's the problem!) they would only do one or the other, since they are having such staffing issues.

Malcon10t
06-16-2005, 03:55 PM
WAIT!! I didn't even know there WAS a new 50th Tour. I thought the Walk in Walt's Footsteps was the new tour! They don't advertise the new 50th tour on the Disneyland website! Help I'm sooo confused!
They don't advertise it on the site, but when I asked about it, here is what they sent me:

"From Imagination to Celebration" is a once in a lifetime touring experience that will become a defining moment to showcase all that Disneyland® has to offer; a never, yet ever changing, heritage rich, three dimensional, living and breathing experience that makes anyone who enters Disneyland® a family member.

Highlights:
* Express Boarding on selected attractions that represent the decades of Disneyland®.
* Reserved seating for one of our newest 50th Happiest Homecoming On Earth shows.
* An exclusive commemorative pin.
* A keepsake DISNEYLAND® "A-E Ticket Book" that spotlights references from the entire tour
experience.
* A photo that captures the memories of you on this tour experience.
* The tour includes a pre-selected snack provided by one of our dining locations.

Details:
*Guests may book this tour before they arrive at the Disneyland Resort by calling our Guest Services
at 714-781-4400.
* Reservations may also be made at Disneyland® Resort Guest Service locations.
* The tour may be booked up to 30 days in advance.
* There are four tours offered daily with a limited availability of 16 guests per tour.
* Each tour is 3.5 hours and dispatches at varies times throughout the day.

Price:
$55.00 per person, does not include Park admission.

bradk
06-16-2005, 03:59 PM
as far as i know, all of the normal daily tours are running concurrent with the 50th tour.

Shortiemetoo
06-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Wow...now I want to take both the tours and never really thought I would be interested in either one!! :eek:
Niwel thank you for the links! The reports are great!

cstephens
06-16-2005, 11:30 PM
My girlfriend and I are flying down to Disneyland for a quick (two days, one night) visit in late July. We thought that this was the right time to finally take a tour, since we usually go to DL with our families and with seven little girls between us (ages 2-6), a group tour just hasn't worked out yet. We've both been to DLR lots of times, so we don't really want the Welcome tour. I've been reading a lot of reviews, but still can't decide between A Walk in Walt's Footsteps and the new 50th Anniversary Tour. If you've done both and have any advice about which one we should choose, I'd appreciate it!

I've done both, and while I enjoyed the 50th tour, I would actually recommend the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour rather than the 50th if you could only do one. The only reasons that I can think of to pick the 50th tour instead is if you *really* want reserved seating for either the fireworks or the parade, or you'd rather have the still-haven't-been-distributed ticket book and light-up lamp pin rather than the pin that you get in the Walt's tour.