PDA

View Full Version : DL- Happiest place on earth

Disney Vault
06-14-2005, 09:26 PM
I was just thinking about this earlier and please tell me if this is right.

Disneyland is called the happiest place on earth. And I think WDW is called the most magical place on earth right? Do Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris has some little tag line like this too?

Shortiemetoo
06-14-2005, 10:10 PM
I don't know...but I remember when Disneyland was called the magic kingdom. I know...I'm no help at all... :|

Lekta
06-14-2005, 10:51 PM
I was just thinking about this earlier and please tell me if this is right.

Disneyland is called the happiest place on earth. And I think WDW is called the most magical place on earth right? Do Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris has some little tag line like this too?

Yeah -- COPYCATS!!!

Leli
06-14-2005, 10:52 PM
I don't know...but I remember when Disneyland was called the magic kingdom. I know...I'm no help at all... :|

Wasn't that just for the one at WDW?

tod
06-15-2005, 06:27 AM
I don't know...but I remember when Disneyland was called the magic kingdom. I know...I'm no help at all...

Wasn't that just for the one at WDW?

No. No no no no no. No. No. No.

Tha "Magic Kingdom" appellation was first, originally applied to Disneyland when central Florida was mostly swamp and Walt was snapping it up at like 45 cents an acre.

I'm not entirely sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that "Magic Kingdom" was first used in Florida when it was decided to build Epcot and there had to be a separate name for the standing Disneyland-like park besides "Diusney World." But I could be wrong.

--t

Opus1guy
06-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Walt Disney World's moniker of "Magic Kingdom" for it's Disneyland-like park wasn't really a response to the possible future opening of EPCOT.

At the time Disney World was conceived and designed, they came up with Disney World because they wanted to convey that there was going to be much more there than just another Disneyland-like park.

They almost immediately decided to call the Disneyland-like park within Disney World "The Magic Kingdom" (a term that had always been Disneyland's "tag line") after a brief stint at being referred to as "Disneyland East." They felt "Disneyland" was a name they wanted to be geographically associated with only the California park.

Later, when it was decided to add another Disneyland-like park outside of the U.S. in Japan....well...Oopsy...suddenly running out of acceptable options there! Not to mention that with the Japanese in the early 80s, the word "Disneyland" was treasured, revered and well known. The Japanese very clearly wanted their own "Disneyland!" So it was decided to break the "Disneyland" name free and allow other parks to use it to sort of generically communicate just what type of park you were getting. So Tokyo Disneyland it was.

At this point discussions did take place about renaming Florida's "Magic Kingdom" to "Florida Disneyland" or "Orlando Disneyland" (even though it wasn't technically in Orlando) but they decided to poop-can those ideas.

Next came the attempt to be more regional with a park's name, rather than city-specific. So "Euro Disneyland" was born. But now someone woke up and said "Well, that sort of limits us to just one Disneyland-like park in Europe. We may want to build more." So "Euro Disneyland" became more area-specific "Disneyland Paris."

After all of those painful learning experiences, I bet they didn't even consider naming Hong Kong Disneyland anything other than that, right from the get-go! :)

So today, Florida's Magic Kingdom is the only Magic Kingdom that doesn't carry the proud Disneyland name. I'm sure this topic pops up now and then at Marketing meetings. Who knows? Someday we may have a Disneyland at Walt Disney World. Or an "Anaheim Disneyland" instead of just "Disneyland" (though I would certainly hope not for The Original!)?

As additional MPDVD Bonus Material for those that weren't aware of it, Walt Disney World did not get it's name Walt Disney World until after Walt's death. It was always going to be just "Disney World." Walt's brother Roy ordered the name changed to Walt Disney World so that folks would never forget that the property and project were his brother's dream.

TikiGeek
06-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Do Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris has some little tag line like this too?Tokyo Disneyland is known as "The Kingdom of Dreams and Magic" :)

Disney Vault
06-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Tokyo Disneyland is known as "The Kingdom of Dreams and Magic" :)
Thanks. But so was I right about DL and WDW? Because I hear people call WDW the happiest place on earth but I always thought that was Disneylands title.

arpinl
06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks. But so was I right about DL and WDW? Because I hear people call WDW the happiest place on earth but I always thought that was Disneylands title.

Disneyland is definitely the "Happiest Place on Earth." Walt Disney World has been billing itself as "Where the Magic Lives," but I'm not sure how long ago that started--fairly recently, perhaps?

Opus1guy
06-15-2005, 04:34 PM
When Walt Disney World first opened in 1971, it's tag line was "The Vacation Kingdom of the World." It retained that tag line for many, many years. Don't know exactly when they first changed it or to what.

Opus1guy
06-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Another "name" sidebar I might mention:

Florida's Magic Kingdom continues to suffer from a great proclivity on the part of many folks to refer to the Magic Kingdom park as "Walt Disney World" or "Disney World." They will be at the Walt Disney World Resort and when you ask which park they are going to that day, they will tell you, "Disney World." "You mean the Magic Kingdom?" "Uh...yeah."

It's a bit rarer to hear that these days, but it certainly used to happen a lot and still does.

Witness right here on MousePad where the description of the Walt Disney World Forum states:

Walt Disney World Resort
ORLANDO: Walt Disney World, Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, hotels.

No Magic Kingdom. With a second "Walt Disney World" apparently substituting for the Magic Kingdom.

:)

Alex S.
06-19-2005, 08:58 AM
I don't know what you're talking about, Opus1guy.

Opus1guy
06-19-2005, 09:37 AM
I don't know what you're talking about, Opus1guy.

:) ;)

Tambour
06-19-2005, 09:49 AM
I actually hear tons of people just say "I'm going to Disney" or " I took the family to Disney"

Many people outside of the internet fan-base just call all the parks Disney. some don't even know there is so many.

disney jones
06-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Many people outside of the internet fan-base just call all the parks Disney. some don't even know there is so many.there's other parks besides Disneyland? :eek: :confused:

pirateabbie
06-19-2005, 02:30 PM
I actually hear tons of people just say "I'm going to Disney" or " I took the family to Disney"

Many people outside of the internet fan-base just call all the parks Disney. some don't even know there is so many.

When I told someone at work I was going to Disneyland in October she asked if I had ever been to Florida before. I explained I was going to Disneyland not Disney World. Sen then wanted to know what the difference was. Come on - it's not that difficult people! :rolleyes:

Shortiemetoo
06-19-2005, 02:55 PM
What I can't understand is how people who live in CA can automatically assume you are going to Disneyworld when you say you are going to Disneyland...this has happend to me many times...wierd I say!! :(
They start asking me about flights to Florida, motel rooms in Florida..and if I saw this or that special pricing for Disneyworld vacations...

Tutter
06-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Imagine what it is like here in Britain then. I forever, when I explain I am going to Disneyland, and after the explanations of how it is California consistenly get "I had no idea they had one there, I thought it was just France and Florida".

The interesting thing is, I can actually remember being aware of the difference when I was quite young. Maybe some of us pay more attention to things ;)

Disney Vault
06-19-2005, 03:29 PM
The interesting thing is, I can actually remember being aware of the difference when I was quite young. Maybe some of us pay more attention to things ;)
Yep :D We are just smarter not because we are :geek: .

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-19-2005, 05:42 PM

This drives me nuts! I can't stand when I hear people talk about going to Disney. You can't "go to Disney"!!! You either go to Disneyland or Disneyworld. It bothers me first because you can't go to Disney but it also bothers me because I do not know if they are going to Disneyland or Disneyworld and I want to know. I have a friend that goes to DLR once a year and she says going to Disney and it makes my skin crawl. Is it hard to add those extra 4 or 5 letters to the word?

SCUBAbe
06-19-2005, 06:17 PM
I personally don't think it's the happiest place on earth...although it is clever marketing...however when I was there over the weekend this lady had me laughing so hard...yeah i was laughing at her...She was mad and going on and on about how "this is NOT the happiest place on earth, it's not even worth going, there's to many people there and the lines are to long."...she was still going on and on, but she was out of my ear shot...this was while walking through adventureland and we all know whats that like, but ti was to funny. Of course it's going to be busy on the first weekend schools out for the summer and fathers day weekend on top of that...LOL...I thought it was going to be busier than it was ...

Disney Vault
06-19-2005, 06:55 PM
I can actually say I think DL is the happiest place on earth. At least for me it is. I have never had one bad experience and I never go during really busy times.