PDA

View Full Version : Pocahontas Show/Amazing Animatronic? Tomorrow?T

Run4Beanies
02-01-2002, 07:22 PM
I read on another website that tomorrow at DCA the new Meeko animatronic will be working and it isn't connected to anything, it can walk around by itself. It will be in a Pocahontas show in Redwood Creek Area. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it tomorrow?

AVP
02-01-2002, 07:31 PM
This was supposed to have started today, but Pocahontas called out sick. They are supposed to be trying to run it tomorrow and Sunday, but I've seen two different set of show times. The first show should be sometime between 11:00 and 12:00

AVP

blusilva
02-01-2002, 09:08 PM
OK, this is only half-facetious, but: What do Meeko and Pocahontas have to do with California?

Uncle Dick
02-01-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by blusilva
OK, this is only half-facetious, but: What do Meeko and Pocahontas have to do with California?

Well, um, you see, way back in the olden days, Pocahontas lived on the East Coast, and, coincidentally, there were also Native Americans living on the West Coast at the same time. So, um, I don't know. :confused: Good point.

Ghoulish Delight
02-01-2002, 09:34 PM
Ummm, Pocahontas the movie was animated in California? Oh, wait, that doesn't work either. It was probably mostly done in Korea :eek:

Gracy_hm
02-01-2002, 10:07 PM
It deals with California because Disney said so the end:)

Ghoulish Delight
02-01-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Gracy_hm
It deals with California because Disney said so the end:)
Ah yes, once again, the old DSS (Disney Said So) theorem of life trumps all ;)

FEJ
02-01-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight

Ah yes, once again, the old DSS (Disney Said So) theorem of life trumps all ;)
Just like MOM

sugarhigh
02-02-2002, 05:55 AM
because we racoons going through our trash, living under our schools, and being road kill. next time you are driving to school and it's just too darn early and you hit that rodent... you'll go "holy crap (or if you're like me another really bad word) i just killed meeko! but i was barely awake and i only have one cup of coffee in me... so it doesn't count".

DisneylandKid
02-02-2002, 07:32 AM
Where did you find this info?

WizKidRyan
02-02-2002, 08:43 AM
If there's truth to this I would love to see that animatronic!

Nigel2
02-02-2002, 11:11 AM
So basically they took one of the sony dogs/cats and but a mekko cosutme on it?:D

Gracy_hm
02-02-2002, 11:51 AM
They were doing the show today"don't know if they did" and will be doing the show tomorrow, and no it is not like the Sony dog. that peice of crap cant move fluidly at all!!! Disneys will be like an animatronic but free standing/moving:)

Ace
02-02-2002, 04:20 PM
meeko.

Run4Beanies
02-02-2002, 04:44 PM
I went today and the Pocahontas show was testing and I got to see the first show. It was cool to see an animatronic not connected to anything. It is not really free standing though like aibo dog.
In the show Pocahontas says that she is lost and looking for meeko and then she tells a story about a coyote and in the middle of the show her basket that she brought starts to move. When she checks to see what it is, she finds meeko in the basket. Then meeko sticks his head out of the other side of the basket and pocahontas catches him by the tail. They interact for awhile and then she tugs a piece of eaten corn out the basket. Then at the end of the show people take pictures with pocahontas and everytime a new person came to take a picture, meeko would stick out of the basket for the picture. Then when she leaves, you hear noises coming from the basket of meeko eating more corn and then he falls asleep, and when people ask to see meeko, she says he's sleeping. It was a cute show and I hope it stays. There were lots of CMs standing around and I saw someone from WDI.

Nigel2
02-02-2002, 09:43 PM
That sounds like the old mother goose type performers, excpet meeko isn't a puppet controlled by the main actor, this sounds similar to Jim Henson's creature shop style puppets.

space101
02-02-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by AVP
This was supposed to have started today, but Pocahontas called out sick. They are supposed to be trying to run it tomorrow and Sunday, but I've seen two different set of show times. The first show should be sometime between 11:00 and 12:00

AVP

Untrue, we were having problems with Meeko.

Horace Horsecollar
02-03-2002, 07:08 AM
Well, having Pocahontas in California doesn't surprise me. I've been living in Williamsburg, Va., just a stone's throw from Jamestown and Busch Gardens for about 16 years (grew up in central California), and the James River presented in the movie had no basis in reality, nor did the gargantuan sailing ship (actually, there were three rather tiny ones) that landed at what became Jamestown. I'm still looking for that enormous waterfall that Pocahontas dives from, too, but there are some rapids and smaller falls up by Richmond (artistic license, I guess).

So, why shouldn't she show up in California? Perhaps she was abducted by aliens and dropped there. Maybe she's looking for an agent (now that would be funny--stick her in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot). Is she wearing one of those "Hawaiian" style vacation shirts the other Disney characters wear when they visit DCA?

May as well give my opinion of DCA here, too. I checked it out last October with a few friends, and we all enjoyed ourselves. I hope Pocahontas has a good time, too.

FabShelly
02-03-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by DisneylandKid
Where did you find this info?

http://www.laughingplace.com is where I put up the info. Hope it went well, I had to do some other stuff Friday for my radio show, then Saturday was

Fab

Brown Monkey
02-03-2002, 10:54 AM
So what does Pocahontas have to do with California? Well, does it even really matter that much? I mean, she fits the theme of Redwood Creek. And like Horace was saying, maybe she is just visiting California for a vacation like all the other Disney Characters! I mean, you can now find Ariel, the little mermaid, in Avalon Cove, right? And what does she have to do with California? Didn't she live in the Atlantic Ocean and not the Pacific? It just isn't that important. It's even like asking what Minnie is doing in the desert of Condor Flats with that airplane. She doesn't live in the desert. And when was she ever a Pilot? Anyway, I think it's cool that they put Pocahontas where she is.

I say you're welcome to stay as long as you want here in California, Pocahontas!!! :D

blusilva
02-03-2002, 02:36 PM
I know it's silly to argue it. But it bothers me a bit because Pocahontas was a real person. Who lived in a real place. That wasn't the redwood forest of California.

But I don't suppose it matters really. Any move away from the "California" theme of the park is a good one.

Uncle Dick
02-03-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Brown Monkey
And like Horace was saying, maybe she is just visiting California for a vacation like all the other Disney Characters!

Doesn't that basically defeat the whole purpose of the California theme? If DCA is being invaded by Disney characters from every corner of the world, what makes it any different from Disneyland across the way? I may be in the minority here, but I actually like the California theme. I just wish they stuck to it. I can accept a limited number of Disney characters in the Hollywood area, because, after all, they are stars, but bringing them into the Golden State and Paradise Pier regions seems to be straining credibility.

justagrrl
02-04-2002, 06:22 AM
So...did anyone see "it"?

Cadaverous Pallor
02-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
Doesn't that basically defeat the whole purpose of the California theme? If DCA is being invaded by Disney characters from every corner of the world, what makes it any different from Disneyland across the way? I may be in the minority here, but I actually like the California theme. I just wish they stuck to it. I can accept a limited number of Disney characters in the Hollywood area, because, after all, they are stars, but bringing them into the Golden State and Paradise Pier regions seems to be straining credibility.
The CA theme is fun and I like it, but think about it - there's not much they can do with it. They didn't want characters in the park, but then all the kids (and parents) said that if it's made by Disney it has to be crawling in over-abused characters (minus Donald, of course, he STILL gets no respect) which makes no sense when you think about the thousands of other products/services that Disney provides that have nothing to do with Mickey etc, especially some of the best rides in the original park (Pirates, Mansion, hello???).

End venting.

In short, I agree with some of what Uncle Dick says, but I understand that when DCA tanked and they didn't have much else "Californian" up their sleeves, they relented to public pressure for more of the same character-driven stuff.

All that said, I still want to see animatronic Meeko. :D

Gracy_hm
02-04-2002, 12:39 PM
http://www.mouseinfo.com

This has video of the AAA amazing audio-animatronic.

Nice fluid movement:)