PDA

View Full Version : My Trip Report 6/6-10 [merged]

bananna
06-14-2005, 06:35 AM
*AAA - We booked through AAA. Checked for varied prices online (days, hotels, hoppers, etc.) and then spoke to our travel agent at local AAA who was full of tips/suggestions. No deals to offer, really, (because of 50th) but awesome benefits. :) We might have saved a couple of dollars, but the fast pass made it all worth it.. 3-day hopper, 4 nights. (for $80 more, we should have gotten a 4-day hopper.. first time with girls and we ran out of time). FUN BOOK given with discounts, but we'd forget to use sometimes. Plus, some restaurants will give you discount with AAA card. There is a 10% off at Disney Store. So, we saved $14 on our purchase of two Princess Outfits (with accessories). Didn't realize our Meal Dining Plan we purchased was for hotel dining as well. Thought it was for the park only.. ARGH.. gotta read everything. :crying: No change given, if meal voucher was more than food purchase. A snack voucher = 5.38, but the park valued it at 5.25, because they didn't want to deal with the extra cents (and so on). When so much is going on, you don't fret about the little stuff. Just break out the cash and save the voucher, if it was a big difference. Supposively, the Meal Dining Plan through AAA saves you a couple of dollars, just make sure, you don't forget to use your vouchers and bring them home!!!! Then it'll be worth it.
*Although the AAA office is in D.L. Park, it is only opened from 11-6. This should be in Downtown Disney or something.. We did not get our lanyard till the 2nd day.
*Parking We paid $12 a day for Valet parking for the first two days. The hotel parking lot is so close, we parked there for the remainder three days..
*Early Entry to FantasyLand and TooneTowne was worth it. M,T, T, S. We went on Tuesday. Arrived at the front gate by 7:20 (2nd in line).. We happened to be right near ToonTowne at 9am not realizing they opened at 10am. So, we took advantage of that early entry as well.
*Multiple FastPass really worked. Hubby would get 4 fastpass for each ride (even though, 4yr. & I didn't ride). hubby & 6yr. old would go on the ride twice, back to back. I think the most fastpass tickets we got at one time was 4 different rides.

*Stayed at Disneyland Hotel. Nothing to compare to, but glad we stayed on the resort. The monorail was so close (wasn't sure how far it would be, from the hotel). We stayed at the Marina Tower. We paid for standard, but asked for pool view, when we arrived (add'l charge, if requesting with reservations). Arrived at 9:45 am. Checked in - room with 2 dble beds only available.. decided to wait till later, for 2 queens-pool view. Went to D.L. Park. Wanted to enter at the main gate for the full effect (instead of the monorail, which takes you inside the park). The hotel held our luggage until we returned at 3pm or so for a break from the park..
Spent M @ D.L. Park, T @ both parks, W & TH were our off days, and Friday was Check out day by@11am and last of our 3-day hopper park day. But, we checked out by 8:30am. Hubby waited for bellman to pick up our luggage (hotel held, until we left the resort @ 9;30pm), while our girls (4 & 6) and I went and stood in line at the monorail. If you ask, they will give you a pool extention key, so you can still swim after you check out.

*Asked for a fridge.. not sure if all the rooms come with one. Small, but hey, it worked FINE! Brought lots of dry pre-packaged snacks from home. And, some fruit (bigger ice box for car ride). Brought ZipLock Bags :geek: , too (for anything. film.. leaky toiletries.. ) Brought a case of water, and left in car. (could have brought in with bellman). Stored a few at a time in the fridge. Brought Soda in Cans to drink in room. Brought Soda in bottles to bring into park. (Some stores now carry the 12 paks of smaller bottles.. but couldn't find Diet Pepsi). Brought in small Soft Lunch Bag which fit into my backpack.

*Details. It's true, their are lots of little details throughout the room and hotel. The room was standard. We got what we paid for. No complaints, but hubby could care less about the disney details. ON the other hand, 4 & 6 yr. old girls and myself, noticed and appreciated the little details. The small character topiary designs in the wall paper. The Bedspread: my 6yr. said, "we went on that ride and that ride"... My 4yr. old noticed the stars in the ceiling light fixture; the Mickey Hand Light fixtures, etc., etc. We would notice new things each day, it seemed like. We turned off the lights JUST to see the Pixie Dust Border on the wall below the ceiling. If I didn't read about it, I would have never noticed. We could barely see the glow. Maybe we didn't have enough bright light.

*Taking a shower was sometimes uncomfortable. Hot & Cold bouts of water.. Like the old plumbing, when someone flushes the toilet. This did not make hubby happy. Asked the maintenance man in the halls, and said it was like this throughout the hotel. Hubby got use to it.

*Noisy in hallways.. We could hear people in the hall (not continuously), or banging of some sort (CM room nearby), but we couldn't hear noise from the rooms around us.

*Goofy would appear in lobby area. So, we took photos and got his autograph without a big line. We also did Goofy's Kitchen character Breakfast, so he was there again, but in his chef outfit.

*Pool area was fun. 6yr. old LOVED the water slide. I tried it. It was pretty fun.. fast, too. And it is well watched by lifeguards at both ends. Spa was large. RC boats, but we didn't play ($2 I think).

*Ate at Crocs (like a fastfood kiosk).. Bought Burgers/Fries and Nachos. Took to our room and had our own Pepsis.
*Ate at Hooks Pointe .. Cool restuarant.. very modern design. Good steak and prawns/fettucini. Kids liked their burger and Mickeroni Pasta.
*Had reservations at Granville, but ran out of time. BEAUTIFUL, upscale restaurant. They said you could wear shorts, but I wish we had something nicer to wear.
*No coffee pot, but I think you could request one. NOt sure of the charge. We walked down to the coffee shop (inbetween Goofy's Kitchen and our tower).

But overall, I was happy with hotel. Stepped into the California Grand Hotel. BEAUTIFUL lobby area!! My girls even said, they wished they could "live here". (Sister & family stayed here and said it was great). Saw Corbin Bernstein (sp?). Remember him from L.A. Law? We went into the pool area, and the girls even thought that looked like more fun. BUT you know... they would have said the oppositive, had we stayed at CG and visited Disney Hotel.. huh! But, we just might have to stay here next time. So much for saving a buck and staying at a Good Neighbor hotel (our original plan). Being on the resort is so much easier. And it was really nice.

Since my report is long, I will break into sections. :geek:

yellowrosedtxn
06-14-2005, 06:46 AM
Great TR so far! I can't wait to hear the rest!

pirateabbie
06-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Sounds like a fun trip so far! You seem to be a very good trip planner. I liked the idea about bringing extra plastic bags for leaky toiletries.

bananna
06-14-2005, 08:03 AM
okay.. here we go again with the details. I figure, if one person gets one good idea, it was worth it, eh? :geek: Our first time with our 4 & 6yr. girls, and I appreciated ALL the info I read.. so I hope this helps all of you! LONG!

As mentioned, our room was not ready at D.L. Hotel early on 6/6, so we left our luggage with the bell guys, and headed for the park. Entered through the main entrance for the full effect!

*We brought Stroller for our 4yr. old. GLAD WE BROUGHT. Hubby didn't think we needed, but mom knows best. Could have rented one for $8, but ours folded, and we could take out of the park, and through downtown disney back to the hotel. You could buy one at a discount store for $10 or so. Worth it. (Target, Toys R Us..). 6yr. old would ride in it, when 4yr. was okay to walk. And when both were tired, 6yr. old would ride while I held 4yr. old. (I know.. the details) :geek: And, you can park your strollers safely (well, it was safe for us). We would leave our backpack (and our packages on the last day), and ALWAYS carry our camera and camcorder. My sis-in-law, said her friend left her camera on the stroller, and it was stolen. But, no one bothered any strollers that we could tell. They're parked everywhere!!

PLAN/ITENERARY: hard to make a plan until after you get a good feel of the park and your map. By the 3rd/final park day, we circled everything on both the DL and CA map and marked a line from one spot to the next, to give us our itenery. It really helped. Then on a 2nd sheet of paper, I wrote details..like the times the shows started, rides and restuarants.. That helped too (I know.. too much planning can ruin a good thing.. didn't work the first day, but it DID work the last day) :)

EARLY ENTRY to Fantasyland: One early entry with AAA package (3 day or more hopper). M, T, T or S. We used on our 2nd park day, Tuesday. Be sure to ride the LONG-LINED rides during this hour.. Do Matterhorn first!! NOT like us.. duh, we went on the Merry-go-round.. :rolleyes: Then @ 9am went to Toontown, an hour early (w AAA package). Mickey was signing autographs. Then he left us, standing in line, as he was headed for his parade. Always ask CM for Character schedules.. THey are so helpful!!! Heard Mickey would go to his house after the parade. We darted for his house and were 5th in line. The line got REALLY long for Minnie & Mickey signatures. gAve up on Minnie's line. Hoping to find her later.

&FASTPASS RIDES: Only 6 at D.L. and 5 @ C.A. Well worth paying for a Disney Resort Hotel over a good neighbor hotel (our original plan)

Because we purchased 3 day hopper through AAA, we were able to use it at multiple rides. Meaning, you can get a fastpass at numerous rides at one time. The times may vary, so sometimes, the last fastpass retrieved might be the earliest return time. But, you cannot get a fastpass ticket for one ride more than one time.. You have to wait for the last time on the ticket before getting another fastpass for THAT particular ride again. No biggee. If there are extra members in the family who will not be riding, get fast passes for them anyway, and use for the family that will ride.. giving us two rides, back to back, becuz 4yr didn't want to go. Then they have this parent thing..(we didn't find out till later) so, for example, if me & yr.old stood in fastpass line with 6yr. old and dad, they would go on ride, and while we would wait on the platform. And when the ride returned, Mom could go on ride with same kid, for a 2nd ride.. I THINK that's how it works!! Plus, we could still get in line again, for the 2nd set of fastpasses we had, making it 4 rides for our 6yr. old. CRAZY. She loved California Scream'n so much, someone gave us their fastpass ride, giving 6yr. 3 rides in a row.. wonder how her brain is!!! All tossed around like that...

MON was spent at Disneyland Park
TUE was spent at both parks
WED & THUR were our off days.. relaxing; swimming; shopping; character breakfast;
FRI checkout day; Went to the park all day. Hotel held luggage until that evening around 9:30 when we left.

*RIDES: DISNEY RAILROAD - This was a nice ride that took you all around the park. Better yet, it had four stops, so you could take advantage of this and use it as transportation to get from point A to point B. Main STreet; New Orleans Square; Tommorrowland and Mickey's Toontown.

MONORAIL: 2 stops. Downtown Disney (near our hotel) and inside near Tomorrowland ( I heard, the monorail use to stop in FRONT of Disneyland Hotel). Couldn't use monorail during firework show. Be sure to bring/show your hotel key, for EXpress Boarding (from Tomorrowland). Oh yeah. The usually don't have the doors open to the nose cones (front w/conductor.. or back of train).. but ask CM if you can ride in either of these. First come first serve for the front. But, they have you stand next to the disabled line for the end. It's like priority seating. THANKS FOR THE TIP, MOUSEPLANET members!!!

LOVED Soarin' Over California (@ California Adventure).. Gotta do this Fastpass ride.. 4yr. old even liked it. 4yr. old did not like any fast/jerky/tunnel rides. 6yr. didn't like the slow ones!

SPLASH MOUNTAIN.. 6yr. old & dad went on this while 4yr. old & I went into Pooh store and videotaped Pooh characters.

CALIFORNIA SCREAM'N (@C.A.).. had to 48". 6yr. old was a little under 47". Bought small platform slip-on sandals.. Changed right before she was measured. SHE WAS IN. She was so excited, I wished we videotaped the measuring. She went on it 3 times in a row..

GRIZZLY RIVER RUN .. hubby & 4yr. old loved it.. you side and bottom got soaking wet. I saw one family with those plastic cover-ups..

Astro Orbitor; Dumbo; Teacups; Soar'n over CA; Monorail; Railroad; horse/carriage; both girls loved.. so did mom & dad!

Ran out of time to do all the rides.. and shows.. For $80 more, we wished we would have purchased a 4 (or even 5) day hopper (instead of 3) from AAA... We spend $30 plus snacks at the movie theater instead..

bananna
06-14-2005, 08:06 AM
CHARACTER signatures: Our first sighting of a character was Buzz Lightyear. I was GOING to bring signature books for the girls but never got around to buying one. We saw others with sig. books and asked where they purchased. Hat store nearby. Quickly went.. and found a '50th anniversary' one that everyone was using. Glad we didn't bring ours. 4yr. old didn't want signatures. In fact, she wanted NOTHING to do with the characters. Far away was okay, but she did NOT get close. When we got back to where Buzz was, he was STILL THERE!!! Wish we would have saved the first page for Mickey.

*Princesses. Lines get long. If you can Find out ahead of time from CM (inside castle) when the princesses will return. We heard Belle and Snow White were returing around ?? and so we waited.. going back and forth. Finalley, we stepped out to the pathway (they sign in and out of the castle), and THERE was Snow White.. we were 5th or so in line.. THEN my 6yr. saw BELLE.. HER ABSOLUTE FAVORITE.. so we followed her and were FIRST in line. Ariel's line seemed to be the longest. All the princesses talk to you, so that is what makes the line longer. But, don't fret. It's great for video footage! Never looked into Ariel's schedule, so we skipped her on our 2nd park day, and put her on the itenerary for the 3rd park day. Check w/the CMs for returns from shows.. you may get first in line. While hubby and 6yr. were on FP rides, 4yr (who didn't mind) and myself waited in the long line for Ariel. Guests are so friendly, that the ones behind us, held our place in line and watched our stroller, while we got cotten candy.. and while we got another autograph and photo from Alice & the Madhatter and Prince Phillip (no autograph..6yr still on rides). Offered to take digital of guests behind us (their daughter), since they ran out of film. Hey.. it saved them $12 from the professionals.. and the time it takes to wait.. They were leaving shortly for their flight home. 6yr. rec'd Belle (twice), Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, Snow White and Cinderella during our 3-day hopper stay. Her signature book was more important than the rides sometimes, but we spaced it out for her.

*MEAN CHARACTERS: I saw the Wicked Queen from Sleeping Beauty, but no time to meet her. Thank goodness. I heard the mean characters are MEAN in person. I was told by one guest, they had the queen sign the same page as Princess Aurora, and the Queen crossed offf the heart drawn by P. Aurora.

*CHARACTER BREAKFAST: Went to Goofy's Kitchen, but when we realized 4yr. old was terrified to ALL characters except for the princesses (it took sleeping beauty to warm up to her), I wish we had reserved the Princess Breakfast, even though I had read more negative than positive! The food was okay. BUT PLENTY TO CHOOSE from. Picky eater hubby didn't like this or that.. BUT, he did find stuff he DID ENJOY!!!! They made an omelet right before your eyes.. Not waiting long .. The chef makes 3-4 at a time... assembly line.. And you choose the ingredients when it's your turn... Great Lemon Fingers (yeah..for breakfast).. Cute Waffle Mickey Faces!! 6 characters. Our girls wore their new dresses.. 6yr - Belle (with shoes and gloves); 4yr - Minnie Mouse (with ears and the cutest Minnie Shoes - YOU HAVE TO SEE @ the Disney Store). Okay so Belle was there in her blue work outfit. Once she saw our Belle, she did a double take, and welcomed her with her eyes (during a dance in the middle of the restaurant), and then gave a lengthy conversation to both the girls at our table. Max, (very cute), Goofy, Dale, (I think Chip was there, too), Aladdin, and Pluto were also there. 4yr. old hid under table when first character came to table.. until we assured her, no characters would bother her. All 6 characters came around to all the tables, taking their time with each guest. They were awesome.

*That night, while walking PAST Goofy's Kitchen to Hooks Pointe for dinner, we saw Minnie in the restaurant! We quickly went in, explaining we had breakfast there that morning, but Minnie wasn't there. Could we go in and get her signature. "Welllll, you're not suppose to, but if we don't know".. We went in and Minnie disappeared. She had a break. All the big stars get breaks, and slip out. They said she would return at 2 different times. Went to dinner, and then back to Goofy's Kitchen again. No Minnie again. It was 9pm now, so we thought no luck.. Guess again.. while out in the lobby (making those disney pennies), I tried one more time and there she was - MINNIE! RAn to get the family, and minnie looked at the CM as if she shouldn't sign. The CM said we were here earlier (okay.. MUCH earlier) and Minnie agreed to sign... Wow..that was close.

*Critter Country - Pooh & Friends: 4yr. olds favorite, but since she was too scared, and 6yr. was too old!, we took photos of them (with the other kids.. trying to catch inbetween kids). But, this is the cool part, when you see Pooh/Tigger or Eyore (on our visit) leave, go to the gate that they exit to and just wait for them to return. Have camcorder ready. Tigger bounces about, and you get some good footage and photo shots. No time for poses or autographs, but we didn't need that. We did this, while 6yr and hubby went on Splash mountain.

*CINDERELLA. On our 3rd/final day at Disneyland Park, as we were getting ready to exit the park, we saw Cinderella (entrance). We could hardly believe it. my 6yrs. old started crying. SHE HAD FILLED HER AUTOGRAPH BOOK. I told her she could share a page, or we could find some paper.. that wouldn't do. But, then she thought, if she DREW a line under another princess, Cinderella could sign. She was delighted she had a plan. So, we got into the short line, but then she started walking away to her next event. We were bummed, but Cinderella, as gracious as she is, walked and then signed and posed, and then walked some more, and then signed for the 2nd guest, etc.. We got our pose!

bananna
06-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Didn't realize my 3 previous reports would merge.. Especially since they are so detailed and long. Sorry about that... (when titles start out the same)..

Here are my suggestions for memories.. (hope it's helpful).. I wish I could write a book! If anything.. it'll all go into my girls' journal.

50th Anniversary merchandise: CM said, after the anniversary is over, they will not be reducing the price of 50th merchandise but instead THROWING IT ALL OUT. We saved our 50th park maps; and purchased the imfamous golden ears. More merchandise (new) is expected for the 2nd kick-off in July

We took 2 1/2 hours of video.. Girls enjoyed when we returned. Husband took on fast roller coaster rides.. very cool. Electric Parade and Fireworks even showed up well. Film as much as you can and edit later.. My husband even videotaped four year old after her nap, singing a song in the room, while 6yr old and I were out... very cute... And when we we getting Mickey's autograph, and having family shot taken, husband sat camera on ground, still focusing on us.. and filmed that too. Forgot to film swimming at the pool, going down the slide.. Ten years from now, we'll be so glad AND SAD, when we watch their first trip to Disneyland! (we paid $25+ for two 8mm film, because we forgot ours at home.. ARGH :~D )

Photos: If you can, get to the park before 8am Early Entries; and take a photo between the gates of the park/mickey/train station, WITHOUT people.

Heard that 100ISO film is best for photographing fireworks.. still have to try it. Used 800 all week.. curious to see how they'll turn out..

I brought in my telephoto lens and my digital.. used everything, because I'm into taking photos. The girls can only handle so much! :D Even offered to take a digital of a guest w/Ariel (and e-mail to them) because they ran out of film, and debated paying and waiting for the professional shot. They were leaving that day. Wish I took more digitals to share when I immediately got home. Still have a ton of film to take in... three days later..

CM's taking your photos with THEIR cameras, will also take group shots with your camera, if you ask.

Be sure to have your photo taken at the entrance, where they have you cup your hands.. Be sure to look at your kids empty hands.. When photo is ready, tinkerbell will appear in your cupped hands.. WE FORGOT TO PICK THIS PHOTO UP. I am so bummed. You only have 48hours. Call this number (within 48hrs) if you forget and they :MIGHT mail to you: 800.362.4533

Scrapbooking: If you're into scrapbooking take pictures of signs or ride/hotel signage, and use this for your titles on your scrapbook page...
The Disney Store has '50th' Scrapbooks - 2 designs; 50th w/Castle; and whimsical 2005 w/mickey. I did not buy one and wish I did. I'm going to have my friend pick one up on her visit!! $25 & $28. They also had scrapbook paper.

Journal/Notebook; I have been typing in my kids' journal (4 & 6) since they were born. use to be everyday.. now, sometimes, I'll go days or weeks without writing, trying to catch up when an event happens. My kids said so many cute things at Disneyland, that I forgot my notebook, and wish I could have remembered what that said. Cute one liners, etc. Then, I was too tired, when we got back to the hotel.. And now that we've returned home, I'm trying to remember what they said... Besides.. it's good to have a pen and paper, just in case.. like trying to remember the photo number from the ride you just went on, only to go on it a 2nd time, and forgetting the first number...

Hakuna Makarla
06-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Such a wondeful report!! thank you so much!! I sure wish I had the 2 hours of video, how wonderful!! we plan 0n taking our video camera this next trip and the digital camera!! wewant this trip to be one of rememberance for ever!!