PDA

View Full Version : Every man for himself at DLR?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mw9955
06-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Hello all! I am sorry for brining this up.. Please let me know if I should have posted this elsewhere..

Today, I was at the Animation Bldg at the backlot right after that show where the 3 "animators" sing songs and then woody, mickey and cinderella come out.. Anyways they went inside the bldg for like 10 minutes for pictures. I was in the woody line and was one away from a pic when a lady came up front, stuck her daughter in front of mine and told her to go up to woody... I was mortified that she would do this! I finally got the nerve to say something like "that was real classy of her to cut in front of my child.." She turned to me and said "every man for themself..." I couldn't believe it.. I wanted to choke her, but instead I just calmed myself thought, don't let her ruin this trip... I was then one of the last ones to get a pic with Woody.. Now if she got that last pic, I would have stranled her!!!!! I must say that the character handlers did announce at the beginning of this thing that there were no lines for pics, and they would only be there for 5-10 minutes for pics.. This caused the mayhem.. Thanks for letting me vent!!

Disney Vault
06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
I must say that the character handlers did announce at the beginning of this thing that there were no lines for pics, and they would only be there for 5-10 minutes for pics.. This caused the mayhem.. Thanks for letting me vent!!There should always be lines. They could just say that being in line doesn't mean you will for sure be able to get a picture. And I am surprised you could stay so calm. I would have gotten in her face.

sleepyjeff
06-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Well, here's my story of a "everyone for themselves" situation:

5 years ago My Wife and I took our 4 year old to Disneyland and coming out of the Plaza Inn after Lunch we see to our delight Buzz Lightyear!

We see that he has no fans at the moment and quickly make our way over to him....just as our Son starts to go up to him a group of 3 teens barge in and have their fun with Buzz...no big deal they were just having fun and probably didn't really notice the 4 year old who was trying to see Buzz..........so we wait for the teens to take pics and all but by this time a small line has developed on the opposite side of Buzz from where we were standing.

After the teens finsih we let our little guy go on up. Well you woulda thought we commited a major offense by the cries of "get in line" and "no cutting" we heard as he went up to Buzz. Fortunately the family that was at the "front" of the so called line had seen that we were there first and let everybody know that.....but my goodness people are cranky when they think somebody is cutting when they don't even know all the facts :eek:

DopeyWife
06-13-2005, 11:08 PM
I cannot get over all the rude people we see when we are in line to meet a character! Some people are so pushy and don't believe that they have to wait like everybody else. It is so frustrating, but sometimes the characters have great handlers that take care of the situation.

That is unbelievable that the woman told you "every man for himself."

evrythngwmn
06-14-2005, 01:11 AM
Since we get to go often we generally avoid taking photos with the characters for this reason. It's chaos. People just jumping in when others were clearly there first. They need some kind of a system.

CoasterChickie
06-14-2005, 01:57 AM
I think it always goes better when there is a line and a handler.

We don't take pictures with characters that often now that my kids are older, but I know when they were little we'd often be waiting and the same thing would happen to us that happened to you.

This weekend, there was a long line for the train at Tomorowland. We were already on the train and watched in disbelief as 4 grown-ups ran up the exit and hopped on the train . The CM saw them and told them they had to get off and they pretended like they hadn't known that there was a line!! :rolleyes:

(Derail) The other sad thing about that train ride was that a couple with a baby was sitting behind us and when they got off the train my daughter pointed out to me that they had changed their baby's diaper and then thrown the dirty diaper under the seat! :eek:

This every man for himself attitude that some people have stinks!

Family5LovesDisney
06-14-2005, 02:58 AM
(Derail) The other sad thing about that train ride was that a couple with a baby was sitting behind us and when they got off the train my daughter pointed out to me that they had changed their baby's diaper and then thrown the dirty diaper under the seat! :eek:

This every man for himself attitude that some people have stinks!

THAT IS SO DISGUSTING! YUCK! How can people do something like that? I have had three boys as babies in Disney and would NEVER think of doing something like that.

bradk
06-14-2005, 03:03 AM
I was at USH at the pre-show of T2 and this guy did something with a tissue/napkin (probably blew his nose with it - fortunately, I missed that part). then he threw it towards the front of the area (where the doors to enter the film are), landing just a few feet from the line we were all supposed to stand behind. then i hear him say 'i thought it would make it to the corner'

i just feel sorry for the kids having to be taught to behave like that

Family5LovesDisney
06-14-2005, 03:49 AM
I was at USH at the pre-show of T2 and this guy did something with a tissue/napkin (probably blew his nose with it - fortunately, I missed that part). then he threw it towards the front of the area (where the doors to enter the film are), landing just a few feet from the line we were all supposed to stand behind. then i hear him say 'i thought it would make it to the corner'

i just feel sorry for the kids having to be taught to behave like that I just ate breakfast........................that's enough to make me feel pretty sick. I know that people do things like this in places other then Disney and it's wrong no matter where they do it................But I especially hate to see it happen in Disney! The reason I love Disney so much is that it's a magical/happy/get away place and seeing something like this temporarily makes me forget that.

rentayenta
06-14-2005, 04:37 AM
A couple of years ago at Disneyland my DDs were waiting in line to see Cruella. A very rude mother and her very rude little girl cut right in front of my girls when it was their turn. Cruella, keeping in character, said to the mom and her daughter, something to the effects of: I am as impatient as the next person but pahleeze wait your turn. It was priceless! Cruella didn't break character for a moment.

mad4mky
06-14-2005, 08:23 AM
A couple of years ago at Disneyland my DDs were waiting in line to see Cruella. A very rude mother and her very rude little girl cut right in front of my girls when it was their turn. Cruella, keeping in character, said to the mom and her daughter, something to the effects of: I am as impatient as the next person but pahleeze wait your turn. It was priceless! Cruella didn't break character for a moment.

We kind of had the opposite when we saw Cruella at DCA. We waited patiently for our turn (I was with Lindsay and Kendall)...and some lady cut in ahead of us.
I commented about perhaps waiting their turn...and Cruella said "Oh, there are no lines here. First one up gets their turn!"

Hmmm...so much for courtesy. But heck...then again, it was Cruella! ;) :eek:

averagedork
06-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Okay see, I am on the reverse end of the spectrum with the character meetings. I usually don't bring my camera to Disneyland, and the only reason why I did was because it was still in my purse from work the day before. I saw Jojo, Goliath, and Stanley, and thought "wow if I take a picture with them and put it up on my family board in my classroom, my kids would get a kick out of it." So I go up, and am really polite, letting all the parents with kids go ahead of me (because kids love meeting characters, I am 24 I can wait.). All the kids pushing their way up front. I never got to meet the characters because of all the parents.

Oh and my feet have been run over by thousands of strollers, buttom been grabbed by kids trying to make their way, uh... you name it, people have done in efforts to "get through the lines" and the only time I said anything was when a mother rammed the two girls (who weren't even with my party) from behind with her stroller on Main Street, when the were on the tracks for the trolley. That I thought was out of line.

People suck.

lauramaynot
06-14-2005, 10:55 AM
I agree some people are difficult at DL and I imagine also in life. But I wonder if the casual atmosphere has created more of atmosphere of bad behavior. Didn't DL once have a dress code? Does anyone remember that? Were people nicer then?

olegc
06-14-2005, 11:18 AM
We kind of had the opposite when we saw Cruella at DCA. We waited patiently for our turn (I was with Lindsay and Kendall)...and some lady cut in ahead of us.
I commented about perhaps waiting their turn...and Cruella said "Oh, there are no lines here. First one up gets their turn!"

Hmmm...so much for courtesy. But heck...then again, it was Cruella! ;) :eek:

Hmm - all the Disneyland-based posts mentioned lines and characters ensuring that folks are in proper order. And the two DCA posts mention that the characters and/or handlers say No Lines is the policy. Well, strike another nail in that coffin for DCA folks! Just makes you wonder if there are two groups of people running things at the resort...

got2travel
06-14-2005, 11:52 AM
A few years ago we had a classic moment with Minnie. After waiting patiently while many parents pushed their kids in front of us, my son finally complained. I just told him something about parents being very rude and we'll see Minnie later that day. I did say it loudly, hoping the other parents would overhear and feel bad. (Yea right). But Minnie actually heard us. She turned around, grabbed my son's hand, and walked him away from the crowd. Kids were running up to her, parents still pushing kids up, but Minnie kept telling everyone to go away. She gave my son a big hug and kiss and posed for a few pictures.

Corwin17
06-14-2005, 12:11 PM

This every man for himself attitude that some people have stinks!I'm honestly not sure whether to groan or applaud these two (seemingly unintentional) puns so close together!

:p :p :p :p

tinkluver
06-14-2005, 12:18 PM
A few years ago we had a classic moment with Minnie. After waiting patiently while many parents pushed their kids in front of us, my son finally complained. I just told him something about parents being very rude and we'll see Minnie later that day. I did say it loudly, hoping the other parents would overhear and feel bad. (Yea right). But Minnie actually heard us. She turned around, grabbed my son's hand, and walked him away from the crowd. Kids were running up to her, parents still pushing kids up, but Minnie kept telling everyone to go away. She gave my son a big hug and kiss and posed for a few pictures.
That is so sweet - yeah for Minnie! :)

kimbopotamus
06-14-2005, 12:49 PM
I took my 8 y/o daughter in April. First let me say that the only lines that were long and slow moving were the character lines! Ugghh!
In DCA, Goofy was in the Backlot and there was a line of two kids with their parents. My daughter and I got in line behind, and then another family got in line behind us. Well, one group had their turn, then a rude bunch of teenagers jumped in and messed around with Goofy. All fine, whatever. They are too impatient to wait in line, let them have their fun. BUT then! Total chaos began! Every family around, including the ones waiting behind me, started going up to Goofy! Every time I thought, "okay, now there is a chance, GO!", another family would butt in! I am NOT a confrontational person, so I was not about to be rude. Anyway, I knew that Goofy was supposed to have a crowd control assistant AKA 'handler' (I don't prefer that term, sorry). I finally snuck my daughter in long enough to snap a quick pic and let her get a hug. As we were walking away, I saw the assistant, about 20 feet away with her back turned to Goofy, talking to another CM! Now her, I approached! I calmly pointed out that Goofy was having some trouble, and she just sorta laughed and crossed her arms as she slowly headed toward the poor character!
Sorry for the long rant, but RUDE guests and IGNORANT crowd control assistants don't make for a magical character greeting, for children or the characters!

amarvel
06-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Being an adult with no children I have heard my fair share of complaints as I stand in line to see one of the characters (people can be really mean!). I think its sad that some parents have to be soooo pushy that they lose what the point of going to Disneyland is all about! My husband and I laugh because the parents aren't having any fun because they are too concerned about little Johnny getting his pic taken and too busy pushing people to do it. One lady told me that it wasn't my place to be in line for the character and I told her she was wrong and was missing the point of the park. When its free for all I don't mind, I let the kids go up as they are eager to see the characters, but if I am waiting in line and taking my turn, i don't understand why they still feel the need to complain to me :)

phillyorig
06-14-2005, 01:49 PM
we got a pick with mickey Thur night as we reentered dl. We waited for other people ( I think people didn't notice it was Mickey and Pluto was right next to him).
I asked the CM that was with Pluto if he could take our pic. He said in a rude tone, "I just have to watch they don't attackt the dog!".
As we were trying to get the pic(camera acting up) this parent let her child contunie to walk all around. The pic is of all 6 of us and this other child. I have to try to erase the brat out!!! It will be our cmas card for the year!!!

I'm sorry i guess I was born in a differnt time ( Im 45) that you looked out for other people!!!

P.S. I believe it's these dang reality shows where it shows, no matter how smart you are, its who you can screw over!!! :mad:

infinite
06-14-2005, 02:02 PM
I have decided to share my story…partially because I think it is relevant to the topic…but mostly because I need a break form work.

While waiting to see Snow White the Enchanted Musical (I THINK that is what it was called), there was no line, jus pushing and shoving to get into it. After a long day in the heat my little (he is VERY small for his age) ten year old got a bloody nose, and at that moment we were in the midst of all sorts of reactions! There were the indifferent people, who still pushed and shoved past a little boy who stopped in his tracks (wouldn’t you) to see the show, there were the RUDE people whose comments made me want to yell at them , and then there were those who helped us. I would like to tell you the last group was the majority, it wasn’t. And Honestly either were the REALLY rude, most people were indifferent. I would like to think some of the people who pushed their way past him just didn’t see what was going on. And he was jostled a bit before he could get out of the crowd…their focus was just on getting in.

To end this on a bright note, one man gave us all of the tissues he had (and trust me, he would have needed them, he had a baby), a Cast Member sat with us, while another radioed a nurse. A few people asked if he was alright, and were worried he had been hit (he said he hadn’t, just the heat). We were rushed out via wheelchair (okay he was, we just had to walk really fast), and the cast member let my cousin know (who was already in the show), that we would have priority seating at any other show we wished that day or the next.

For a long time after, I was mad at the rude people. I still think it is in POOR taste for an adult to say “Oh how gross” to a 10 year old, especially over something he CAN’T control…but then again, I will always think that.

CoasterChickie
06-14-2005, 02:17 PM
For a long time after, I was mad at the rude people. I still think it is in POOR taste for an adult to say “Oh how gross” to a 10 year old, especially over something he CAN’T control…but then again, I will always think that.

That is really sad!! :crying:

On a brighter note, aren't the CMs at the first aid station great? On our last trip, our 10 year old had a huge scab on her knee that opened up after one of the rides and started bleeding down her leg. (Not trying to be gross, just telling what happened) The CMs were great. They cleaned up her wound, gave her the perfect size flexible band-aid for it and an extra one to take just in case, plus some children's tylenol which she needed it because she had a bad headache. Thw whole time the CM was being as entertaining as the CMs on the Jungle Cruise so he turned an unpleasant experience into a pleasant one for my daughter. :)

Hakuna Makarla
06-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Arn't people something!! when I went the very first time I got pushed and shoved and people were down right rude. I was not goign to let them ruin my trip, but the last night before we left for San diego we found the perfect spot to watch fantasmic, we sat right across at the nice resturant and had cheese cake. It was s ofun until a family ( 4 of them ) decided to put on there micket wizzard hats. Those things are tall and they totally blocked out our view. they took up the front row and there friends took up the other side with there stupid hats. I asked real nice, "ma,am could you guys remove them just for a bit so we can watch fantasmic? She ignored me so I asked her again, again she ignored me. Finally I said PLEASE COULD YOU REMOVE THEM SO WE CAN SEE THIS AS THIS WILL BE OUR FIRST TIME EVER HERE IN DISNEYLAND" wel she turned around and said NO!
The ladys we met earlier and shared a table with got close to her, and Said some choice words, the lady and her family removed the hats :) but how rude!!! Like your suposed to wear those hats just for fantasmic!
Now when we go again I am getting me a funky hat, thats what I am going to do, but no way would I wear it to block any ones view. Just plain RUDE!!!

DopeyWife
06-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Okay see, I am on the reverse end of the spectrum with the character meetings. I usually don't bring my camera to Disneyland, and the only reason why I did was because it was still in my purse from work the day before. I saw Jojo, Goliath, and Stanley, and thought "wow if I take a picture with them and put it up on my family board in my classroom, my kids would get a kick out of it." So I go up, and am really polite, letting all the parents with kids go ahead of me (because kids love meeting characters, I am 24 I can wait.). All the kids pushing their way up front. I never got to meet the characters because of all the parents.

Before my husband and I had our daughter, people would ignore us while we waited in line for characters and cut in front of us. Just because we didn't have children didn't mean that we weren't there to see the character too. Now that we do have our daughter, it still seems that sometimes we get ignored and cut in front of because she is still little and can't push her own way to see the character (I would NEVER allow her to push and cut in front of others though). I wish parents would learn to be more respectful and teach their children to be patient.

amarvel
06-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Before my husband and I had our daughter, people would ignore us while we waited in line for characters and cut in front of us. Just because we didn't have children didn't mean that we weren't there to see the character too. Now that we do have our daughter, it still seems that sometimes we get ignored and cut in front of because she is still little and can't push her own way to see the character (I would NEVER allow her to push and cut in front of others though). I wish parents would learn to be more respectful and teach their children to be patient.

this is the same as dh and me, we are overlooked soooo many times, we let it go, but it does get frustrating.these parents need to learn some manners and teach their children the same.