PDA

View Full Version : Disney Conspiracy?? Say it ain't so

Frappalotie
02-01-2002, 02:12 PM
http://home1.gte.net/gasgano/frankheaddance.gif

This is my first post and I find myself very fortunate, to be able to reach so many amazing fans concentrated in one area. I hope to participate in your forum as much as possible.

NOW TO THE BUSINESS AT HAND, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.

-cut to- 1994 I was walking through Disneyland with my cousin, when we decided to explore some of the lesser known areas of Disneyland to us. We walked into some sort of gallery, I think this was somewhere in New Orleans Square. We walked around for a minute and looked at a few of the photographs. We came to a series of black and white photos of Disney himself with various celebrities. We came to one that had Laurel and Hardie (I hope I spelled their names right) Mr Wal Disney was standing inbetween the two of them. After staring at the picture for a few minutes I noticed that Walts right hand was raised infront of him and his index finger and middle finger were sticking out. Now this is the action that someone would make if they were holding a cigarette, problem is he had no cigarette, so why would he be doing that? At that point we looked at the shadow on the floor of the three of them in the picture, and sure enough in the shadow on the ground I saw a cigarette sticking out of Walts hand. We stared at it for another 20 minutes in amazement. At which point we asked the woman who was working there why the picture had been doctored. She didn't really give us a good excuse and danced her way around the point. We left that day and everytime I have ever gone back to Disneyland, I have never seen the picture again. If anyone has seen it please let me know. I'd like some comments if possible.

Thanks for your time
Frappalotie

p.s. is there anyway I can find out what rides in Diseyland are not opperational on a certain day I'm going to visit? Do they post that kind of thing?

Gemini Cricket
02-01-2002, 02:24 PM
Go to this link:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneylandresort/ResortInfo/HoursAndShows/index?DLP&DCA&DTD&DRH

and put in the date of your trip. It will tell you what's being rehabbed. It's sort of vague at times and is a guestimate but it's a good starting point.:)

Ghoulish Delight
02-01-2002, 02:27 PM
Wow, good eye on that. I have not seen the picture to which you are referring, but it sounds as if someone in PR didn't want to give the idea to the kiddies that smoking is goo :rolleyes:

As for you question about ride refurbs, there are a couple resources. www.disneyland.com displays a list, though it is not always accurate. The other is to check out WizKidRyan's list of refurb dates. Just follow this link http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4061

MickeyD
02-01-2002, 02:37 PM
I've never seen the picture, but I think I remember reading about it in More Mouse Tales.

I love your picture by the way. :D

AVP
02-01-2002, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure if this is the exact photo you are talking about, but there is a photo with the same "edit" hanging in the lobby of "The Walt Disney Story featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" The photo hangs on a wall to the immediate left of Walt's remaining office.

This was actually pointed out my a CM during a tour, and the explaination given at the time was that photos of Walt smoking were removed or airbrushed after his death.

AVP

Gemini Cricket
02-01-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by AVP

This was actually pointed out my a CM during a tour, and the explaination given at the time was that photos of Walt smoking were removed or airbrushed after his death.

AVP

He did die of lung cancer after all... D'oh! :(

hbquikcomjamesl
02-01-2002, 03:53 PM
Yes, he did. He died much younger than necessary because he was addicted to sucking on a burning poisonous plant. Wouldn't that be reason enough to take stepse to avoid encouraging young people from emulating THAT aspect of him?

mousey_girl
02-01-2002, 07:31 PM
Then why not leave the ciggies in the pics as a reminder of just how deadly smoking can be?

Frappalotie
02-01-2002, 09:00 PM
http://home1.gte.net/gasgano/frankheaddance.gif

how are you guys getting your pics under your names?

anyway I agree with the cigs staying in the picture leaving a more powerfull message about the dangers of smoking.

I'm bummed about all the referbs lately, has anyone been to disneyland lately, and are the refurbs on schedule?

Uncle Dick
02-01-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by AVP
I'm not sure if this is the exact photo you are talking about, but there is a photo with the same "edit" hanging in the lobby of "The Walt Disney Story featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" The photo hangs on a wall to the immediate left of Walt's remaining office.

AVP

Speaking of edits in Mr. Lincoln, there is a pillar in the Lincoln Exit area (aka DCA preview center/patriotic apparel cart) with a quote from Lincoln on two sides. For some time now, it has been covered by decoration of some sort. Now I understand that they might have wanted to keep the focus on DCA, but the way they covered the quote doesn't suggest a well thought out or permanent arrangement. Anybody know what the deal is?

Originally posted by Frappalotie
how are you guys getting your pics under your names?

You can learn all about the wonders of avatars (as they're called) by clicking on the Profile button on the top of the screen, right underneath the MousePlanet banner.

Nigel2
02-01-2002, 10:39 PM
Also is that mural still there since the DCA stuff is seperated from the wall I am assuming that it is still there.

coronamouseman
02-02-2002, 05:26 PM
It is not uncommon for many public figures to avoiding smoking in public - Jack Nicklaus is one such example. For years, he smoked on the first 12-13 holes of the golf course out of the view of the TV cameras - when he finally arrived at those holes in range of the cameras he stopped. I believe he no longer smokes but that the idea of not smoking on camera was done so as to provide an image of athleticism at the time he still was.

It would not be surprising if Walt Disney did the same thing .......

Ghoulish Delight
02-02-2002, 08:57 PM
But the point is he did smoke on camera. The cigarette was air brushed out afterwards. And, according to what james learned from the CM, that was done after he died, so unless his frozen head was giving orders, it wasn't his decission to do that. I don't think Walt was worried about his image as an athlete. Sure it makes sense for an athlete to avoid being seen like that, but beyond that, smoking did not carry the stigma it does today before Walt died.

Uncle Dick
02-02-2002, 10:26 PM
It's interesting, given Disney's attempts to hide the fact Walt smoked, that there's a fairly clear picture of him doing so in either "One Man's Dream" or the Lincoln preshow. (I forget which one, I just know I saw him with a cigarette in his hand.) You'd think they wouldn't allow that kind of footage to get in uncut, considering the efforts they went to to censor other media.

mrfantasmic
02-02-2002, 10:32 PM
This is a new one for me. I knew he died of lung cancer, but didn't know he smoked.
Heck,
James Bond smoked...

Uncle Dick
02-02-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by mrfantasmic
This is a new one for me. I knew he died of lung cancer, but didn't know he smoked.
Heck,
James Bond smoked...

But then James Bond is also immortal, as referenced by the fact that he has dodged hundreds of bullets, knives, explosions and femme fatales and managed to frequently change bodies, staying young and vibrant. He's a Founder, tell ya!!!! They've infiltrated Earth!!!

PinkFloyd
02-03-2002, 12:17 AM
This is all very interesting, especially in light of the fact that smoking was so pervasive during Disneys day. Perhaps Disney the companry fears that little ones that look up to Uncle Walt as a role model may try and emulate him and pick up the habit as well.

Nigel2
02-03-2002, 12:18 AM
Well it was ovbious he smoked since he had numerous ash trays and lighters in his office(s)