PDA

View Full Version : November or December?

SeansMom
06-13-2005, 04:33 PM
I can't STAND it...I HAVE to go back :) !!! So what do you think, for least crowds and most Christmas/Holiday feel...First week in November or first week in December :confused: ???
Thanks in advance to all you pros!

Shortiemetoo
06-13-2005, 05:24 PM
I am going the first week of december but I understand that is when the candlelight ceremony on main street is and that it makes things congested and crowded...so now I am rethinking. This will be a thread I am interested in also!

bradk
06-13-2005, 05:37 PM
first week in december assuming the parade is running then (pretty sure it's not at the beginning of november). only things you have to watch out for are CM nights, CP nights and holidays/weekends.

WITron
06-14-2005, 12:15 AM
The Candle Light Procession is only the first weekend and not the whole week like at WDW. We are going to be going to going from Dec 4th-11th. One of the reasons we are going then is so that we can see the CP. We know the park is going to be crowded that day, so that is the only thing that we really want to see. I would highly recommend seeing it at least once as it is something really special. If you can't handle crowds I would stay away from that weekend.

BQ2
06-14-2005, 05:21 AM
I can't STAND it...I HAVE to go back :) !!! So what do you think, for least crowds and most Christmas/Holiday feel...First week in November or first week in December :confused: ???
Thanks in advance to all you pros!

We can't decide either...So we are doing bOTH :D

sdfilmcritic
06-14-2005, 05:25 AM
My vote is for November. It's my favorite time of the year for DLR.

only1mouse
06-14-2005, 06:39 AM
I went last year during the first week of November, all the decorations were up but the parade wasn't running, it wasn't horribly crowded. It was the first time I'd seen DL at Christmas time. This year we are going Dec 1 -Dec 4th staying at the GCH, but as we've been trying to find better rates, we discovered that Dec 3 is sold out, probably due to the CP.

SueinSac
06-14-2005, 06:53 AM
I noticed that Veteran's Day falls on a Friday this year. Do SoCal schools have Veterans Day off, and does anyone think the park will be significantly more crowded for that long weekend because of the holiday?

Thanks!

Sue in Sacramento

Monte Cristo
06-14-2005, 07:26 AM
Both weeks, 1st of November and 1st of December, work in terms of light crowds and full Christmas cheer.

A couple of things to keep in mind..

The park is fully decorated by November 5th, with HMH and IASWH running. The only Christmas-themed element not yet in place is the parade, which doesn't start until late November. Otherwise the Main Street tree is up, decorations, etc.

THe first week in December will include the CP, BUT - do NOT assume that cast member parties take place that week as well. I was trying to avoid CM parties last year so I stayed away from the first week in Dec. Great, right? Uh uh. THe CM parties were held the SECOND week in December last year. Although I will say this: while the park does close early on those days (6:00pm), trust me when I tell you it's not the worst thing in the world. Because all the decorations are up, I noticed that the locals would crowd the park something fierce from 6 on. So if you hate crowds, the park closing at 6 shouldn't be that big a deal. I remember during the evenings my family would pretty much grab some hot chocolates and just wander around the park, taking in the sights and doing a little shopping.

Also, if you are staying at the Grand, it is NOT decorated for Christmas by the first week of November. We stayed there last November around mid-month and I was a little disappointed by this.

Basically, you can't go wrong with either week in terms of crowds. The only questions you have to ask yourself are:

Do I want to see the Christmas parade?
Do I mind if the park closes at 6 on one or two nights out of the trip, if they're held the first week (the CM parties traditionally have one weekend day and I think one or two weekdays)?

We're actually going to spend the second week of December at the park for the first time. I've never seen the parade before, so I'm looking forward to it. I'll miss the Electric light parade, but I guess that just means I'll need to visit again a couple of months later. :D

Osky
06-14-2005, 07:33 AM
The park is fully decorated by November 5th, with HMH and IASWH running. The only Christmas-themed element not yet in place is the parade, which doesn't start until late November. Otherwise the Main Street tree is up, decorations, etc.

I thought the tree always went up the day after Thanksgiving.

only1mouse
06-14-2005, 08:08 AM

Last year it was up on November 5th

pisces
06-14-2005, 08:25 AM
I suspected the Grand is late with their decorations. Are they fully decorated by Thanksgiving?

Also consider this: It might not get dark early in November. GWB----(you all know who that is?) extended daylight savings time. A bill was passed in both the House and Senate to begin daylight savings the first of March, and have it go till the first of December :mad: .

So, I don't know if that means we continue on with Daylight Savings, right up till the first of December...... or we just start the whole thing in March of 2006.

It matters to me, because I love the darkness, and feel Disneyland is better after dark.

If this new time change is in effect right away......that means in November, (and Halloween too) at 6:00 pm, it will still be fully light outside....... :eek: !

Monte Cristo
06-14-2005, 09:06 AM

The official tree lighting ceremony may not take place until Thanksgiving, or shortly after but the tree is up and lit come the first week of November.

The Mouse Is Back
06-14-2005, 04:52 PM
I suspected the Grand is late with their decorations. Are they fully decorated by Thanksgiving?

Also consider this: It might not get dark early in November. GWB----(you all know who that is?) extended daylight savings time. A bill was passed in both the House and Senate to begin daylight savings the first of March, and have it go till the first of December :mad: .

So, I don't know if that means we continue on with Daylight Savings, right up till the first of December...... or we just start the whole thing in March of 2006.

It matters to me, because I love the darkness, and feel Disneyland is better after dark.

If this new time change is in effect right away......that means in November, (and Halloween too) at 6:00 pm, it will still be fully light outside....... :eek: !

This is incorrect information. DST has NOT been extended. The energy bill included a proposed two-month extension, but required a study to be done on whether or not the energy savings would be worth the extension.

Shrubya et al. want the extension, but it's nowhere near being a done deal.

-Allegra-

pisces
06-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Well, that's good news. Yes, the bill passed in the House, but not yet the Senate. And the earliest it would take effect would be spring of 2006. Whew, for a moment there , I thought Halloween would be cancelled.

Everyone, write to your Senator and tell 'em, if anything you want more Standard Time, to visit Disney after dark.

I like it much better when it gets darker early.

EandCDad
06-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Personally, I'd love to see more Daylight Savings Time. Driving home in the dark at 5:00 sucks.

You should assume in making your plans that all of the decorations will be up by 11/5. The only Christmas thing that didn't start around then in previous years was the parade (last year it started 11/19). However, keep in mind that rumors are ongoing about the Christmas parade moving to DCA, so that might cause an earlier start (or it might not.)

You'll get lower crowds at the beginning of November, especially during the week. But keep in mind that since Disneyland has been doing Christmas with a vengance the last few years, the crowd levels have risen even in November, don't expect it to be deserted.