PDA

View Full Version : 50th Birthday on Halloween

SeattleRedBear
06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
OK. One of our best friends (who is in complete denial about turning 50 this Halloween) has had her arm twisted to join us at DL for a long weekend to celebrate her non-existent birthday. I already have the flight purchased (thanks to a $50 companion fare on Alaska), the hotel reserved (the Anaheim HoJo across the street...even with the Disney '4 for the price of 3' promotion, the cheapest room at PP is more than a view room at the HoJo's) and the car rented. However, I would like some advice on miscellaneous things.

* What special things can we do on her birthday proper to make it a day she'll never forget (as much as she may try ;) )? Of course we'll tell everyone we can that it's her big 5-0, but we need ideas for other things. We were thinking maybe a character breakfast, lunch or dinner at the Blue Bayou and the Walt's Footsteps tour. Any other thoughts?? Also, I saw some reference on the DL site about purchasing meal plans. Can you do this without staying at a DL property and is it worth it?

* Halloween itself. Does DL do an event like MNSVSH at WDW? (Did I get that right?). Will we have to take a hard-ticket event into account on her birthday?

* Any thoughts on tickets? I had used HotwireSavingsClub in the past for WDW admissions and meal vouchers, but since they're no longer a going concern I'm at a little bit of a loss. It looks like there's no significant savings over purchasing in advance directly from Disney. We were thinking about the Costco So Cal pass, but we're only going to be in Anaheim for 5 days and birthday girl isn't interested in the San Diego animal parks.

Just to give you a sense of players, four friends (2M2W) ranging in age from mid-40s to mid-50s. More beer-loving than wine-drinking (Napa Rose is out), card-playing, park-commando types who can not get enough of the magic and who turn into crazy kids when we're on vacation.

FYI, I have a Disney VISA and I haven't investigated any benefits we get from using that. Can others with experience speak to this?

Thanks in advance for any experience or thoughts.

MsYumiBr
06-13-2005, 05:33 PM
What I can tell you is that I've been calling the DL park for the last, oh, 9 years to inquire about any Halloween events and have always been told no. I've even been told once that Halloween Happenings (my favorite event) was a "volunteer" event and the CMs didn't want to "volunteer". So, you don't have to worry about a "hard ticket" for an event. We usually know by August if there's an event or not so, just in case, call in August and check the boards. Odds are there will be no event. They had a lot of problems with kids hyped on candy, getting sick, running around with masks on and teens out of control. Hmm. Sounds like a normal day to me. Anyway, crowds should be light, weather should be pretty good and hopefully they will have some "harvest" decorations up. I hope this helps.

Ayumi

cstephens
06-13-2005, 06:18 PM
* What special things can we do on her birthday proper to make it a day she'll never forget (as much as she may try ;) )?

I have a bithday page posted here (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/dlrbirthdays.html) that you might find useful.

Wendi
06-13-2005, 10:23 PM
No real Halloween event at DLR...

You can get her a little bunch of balloons, birthday button and glossy autographed photo of her favorite character(s) at one of the DLR hotels.

I would either do the Walk In Walt's Footsteps tour, or the Fantasmic! Balcony dessert buffet as a nice treat.

You can get good beer at the Cove Bar in DCA.

Don't forget about the stack of tortillas at the Mission Tortilla Factory tour.

Malcon10t
06-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Also, I saw some reference on the DL site about purchasing meal plans. Can you do this without staying at a DL property and is it worth it?

You can purchase the dining packages at WDTC in downtown Disney if you want. However, there really is no savings in the package. I found we were better off just paying as we go.

Drince88
06-14-2005, 03:22 AM
I say you should all get matching shirts in a bright color that say something like "I'm with ___ and it's her 50th birthday" and her's would say something similar.

Have a great time!

phillyorig
06-14-2005, 06:08 AM
Back in 1995, They did a disney Halloween Bash. The park closed at 6 and at 7pm they opened the gates for people who purchased these special tickets ( we did).
we had a blast.
The kids were younger and in costume and they trick or treat in DL!!.
CM were at certain sports with candy and the HH they had people in it to scare you. What a blast. I wish they would do that again!!!

jon80flt
06-14-2005, 06:24 AM
If Disneyland decides not to do anything extra for Holloween, then you may want to consider an evening at...dare I say it?...Knott's Scary Farm...there, I said it! [Flame-Resistant Suit ON]

Have fun!
Jon

phillyorig
06-14-2005, 07:14 AM
If Disneyland decides not to do anything extra for Holloween, then you may want to consider an evening at...dare I say it?...Knott's Scary Farm...there, I said it! [Flame-Resistant Suit ON]

Have fun!
Jon

ROFL!!!

we didnt see it!!! lol

SeattleRedBear
06-15-2005, 07:39 AM
I say you should all get matching shirts in a bright color that say something like "I'm with ___ and it's her 50th birthday" and her's would say something similar.

Have a great time!
ROTFL but unfortunately i know she would not allow us to leave the hotel with them on and would throw a hissy fit if we put them on later. Thanks all for the suggestions and information. If anyone else has ideas, let me know.

bananna
06-15-2005, 02:18 PM
I copied the info below from the "MouseSavers Newsletter" just sent to me yesterday.. Can I do that?

Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party

Because of popular demand, this family-friendly celebration of gentle chills and thrills will expand in 2005 to 15 nights of spooky fun on September 30, October 2, 6, 7, 11, 13, 16, 20, 21, 23, 25, 27, 28, 30 and 31. Separate admission to the event is required. Each date will feature opportunities for trick-or-treating throughout the Theme Park and all guests are welcome to wear Halloween costumes. Plus, the Disney characters will be dressed in their favorite costumes too.

The evening will also include "Mickey's Boo-to-You Halloween Parade," Mickey's Mouse-Ka-Rade costume parties, Halloween storytelling, live shows, unique merchandise and an all-new Halloween-themed fireworks display lighting up the sky above Cinderella Castle.

In addition, families can enjoy a complimentary photo and unlimited use of popular attractions such as "Mickey's PhilharMagic," Stitch's Great Escape! Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan's Flight, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Cinderella's Golden Carrousel and many more.

To see prices and information about where to call, visit http://www.mousesavers.com/wdwspecialevents.html#mnsshp

IDeAS: I LOVE HALLOWEEN, so if it was my birthday, this is what I would want someone to do for muah! :cool:
DECORATE the hotel room (Or restaurant) ahead of time, if you can.. or while b-day girl is out for a bit. Make it SCARY or PRETTY .. Those paper Lanterns are really popular right now for decorations. Get Purples/Oranges and of course BLACK! Maybe some purple string lights for the room.. I know.. who'll be in the room.. Trick the doorway, so when she enters the room, a mouse falls on her (no not Micky).. or bats start swinging.

Dept. 56 has a COOOOOOL Halloween section right now. At least they did at Downtown Disney.. Not sure about other locations.. Maybe check their website.

Maybe you could call a Downtown Disney Restaurant ahead of time, and ask them if they do anything special for Halloween, and what could they do to spruce it up for a scary Birthday? IF they decorate anyway, than maybe they could allow you to bring in some cool party favors/decor to splash up the table/room, even MORE!! Maybe they have 'scary dishes' or drinks they're serving for the occasion.. pasta looking like worms, etc.. Maybe you'll even give them the idea!

Have a cool/wicked orange and black cake made and presented at dinner. Place 10 or so tall skinny candles on it.. for a really cool look. We saw the coolest 4 or 5 layer cake coming from the Disney Hotel Convention area.. have no idea who made or what it was for, but Guests Services might be able to help..

BRING Costumes.. :p All four as a theme.. or something to tie in with Disney. The 4 mouseketeers; Matching Hats.. with Black tees (Nightmare before Christmas has great stuff to wear.. ).. You could order ahead of time from the Disney Catalog or go to World of Disney for GREAT GEAR!

Maybe find out wear the mean character QUEEN will be.. maybe she does something extra wicked for Halloween. :eek:

See if a scary movie is playing at the Downtown Disney AMC movie theater.. Eat at House of Blues (we thought they had good food).. Maybe a cool/scary band will be playing!

Be CAREFUL about the 50. When I turn 50, I want to celebrate in a great place, too.. but I don't want to announce to everyone that I'm actually 50!! If you ask, that's one thing.. but put away all the '50' decor and puns... :geek:

Have Fun..

bananna
06-15-2005, 03:07 PM
oh yeah.. Make a scrapbook w/50 or so photos or make a video (try for an hour) of the whole trip.. include the group, attractions, front of park, b-day, characters and more. This will be the best present she can receive from her in-denial 50th birthday.

Wendi
06-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is in Disney World... not Disneyland.

BalooNumberTwo
06-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Phew, thats when our trip is planned the third week...sounds like fun, but i want to be in the Park as late as they will let us, with out having to buy another ticket! :rolleyes: