PDA

View Full Version : Need help! I'm a DL newbie, but WDW vet!

Pages : [1] 2

angey77
06-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Hello all!
I just found out this weekend I will be taking my first ever voyage to the Disneyland. Yippy!
BUT ...
I am a planning freak and a bit worried (I plan everything to a "t" with WDW). More than likely, we will be booking Disneyland Hotel, even though it is a bit pricey (but we don't know if and when we will be back, so we are thinking to go "all out").
I have made a reservation for Blue Bayou, I know that is a must-do restaurant. We are going last weekend of July (Sat-Mon).
What can we expect, crowd and wait time-wise? What are other things that fall in the category of "you have to do this"? Where else to eat, not eat? Tips? Early entries at all? I don't want to be that person in Disneyland that I see in WDW and think "clueless!" Anything you can tell me is more than I know right now!

Disney Vault
06-13-2005, 12:38 PM
It will be busy that time so I suggest you learn all the fastpass secrets. I believe at WDW they are all networked but at DL there are a couple not linked to the other rides so you can get multiple fastpasses at the same time. And you might even want to look into booking with AAA to get the special enhanced fastpass.

And I think you will enjoy that hotel. I was just wondering what one you stay at when you go to WDW.

And be sure not to miss DCA. You probably wouldn't anyway but I think it is crazy when people go to the resort and don't go to DCA because they haven't heard great things.

And be sure to write a trip report when you get back. I love to hear what people say after their first trips to DL.

bananna
06-13-2005, 12:42 PM
I will give a report soon.. just returned this weekend.. First timers since Junior High. Let's see off hand: (Will kids be joining you? if so, how old?). At first, we wanted to stay in a cheaper hotel, but went for s D.L. Resort hotel, with a 3-day hopper. Well, worth it.. For easy back and forth, without stepping into your vehichle.. Plus, we rec'd multiple FASTPASS, which was well worth it! (through AAA). Monorail was great! Ride the train (4 stops around the park, great for transportations, or as a ride all the way around). Definitely see the Electrical Parade.. Park closed at 6pm all week, then on Friday eve, park closed at 9pm and the E.P. was appearing.. GLAD we came on this day. Heard, Rancho del Zocalo Restaurant was good, but never made it! EARLY entry to Toon Towne & Fantasty Land (through AAA)... WELL Worth it. Small world: Adorable, since it is an older ride, and you appreciate what they did way back when. California Adventure: Soarin' Over California. This is a great ride.. You watch a big-screen BUT, you feel like you are flying over these great desinations.. mY 4yr. old enjoyed, and I saw many older people in here. ALL AGES! I will report more, soon!

HydroGuy
06-13-2005, 12:50 PM
1. Make sure you get the three day parkhopper bonus ticket, which gives you early entry (EE) on one day.

2. EE is on Mon, Tue, Thurs, & Sat. You thus can do it either Sat or Mon. I would recommend you do it Sat, as that is when you will have the most energy. EE gives you access to Fantasyland and (usually) at least part of Tomorrowland (right now that means Buzz Lightyear). It starts nominally 60 minutes before normal 8AM opening time during July/Aug. Sometimes they let folks in even before the scheduled time, although I think that is for later openings at 9 or 10AM.

3. The lines are by far the shortest in the first and last two hours of the day. If you want to get the most from your trip, buy your tix ahead of time and be AT THE GATE at least 30 minutes before opening. That is 6:30AM on the EE day.

4. Take a lengthy break in the afternoon when it is hottest and the lines are longest. Get a nap in if possible so you can make it until closing (midnight).

5. My opinion which some share and some don't - take some time to see Disney California Adventure (DCA). The entrance gate is adjacent to Disneyland. I would recommend from one-half to one full day of your three days at DCA.

6. Learn about the DL and DCA Fastpass system. It has idiosyncracies you will want to know about. The best, most comprehensive explanation is given here: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=43193&highlight=darkbeer.

7. If you are staying at a Disney hotel, look into the AAA package. For a similar price you can get "Enhanced Fastpass".

8. It will be crowded and hot at mid-day. The refurbed Space Mountain (SM) will be opening on July 15 after being down for over two years, and thus crowds will be especially intense at DL. Demand and lines for SM will be LOOOOOOOONG. Go on SM early in the morning and/or use Fastpass.

9. Here goes my (highly subjective) short list of what you should not miss:

At DL:

a. Space Mountain
b. Pirates of the Carribean
c. Indiana Jones
d. Haunted Mansion
e. Matterhorn
f. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
g. Fantasmic Show (go to the late one at 10:30 and get there early to get a good position).
h. I have not yet seen the new fireworks show, but everyone says it is not to be missed.

At DCA:

a. Soarin' Over CA
b. Tower of Tower
c. California Screamin
d. Animation Studio

Our four day trip starts on Mon. Aug. 1 . Maybe we'll see you in line!

Hakuna Makarla
06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
First off " breath hon" I to am a planning person and plan stuff to death.I went for the first time ever in august last year and I was so worried about things we had a misrble time. relax, breath and go with the flow. get fast passes when possible and just have fun. see shows, take plenty of pictures and by all means eat the goodies. But my most important word to you is throw the paper away, stop planing and just relax. If I had listened to a few here I would not have had it so bad . I went again a few months ago and guess what ? I had a awsome time!! Do not plan, just get your fast passes to the rides you really want to ride and relax and go with it all. You will have a grand time I promise!!

stan4d_steph
06-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Check out the Unofficial Guide to DL. Great resource and independent information on rides, shows and food.

DL is much smaller than WDW, so most likely you will be able to ride and do everything you want to as long as you plan well. Get to the park early and ride your must-dos first. Take a break when the park gets crowded in the heat of early afternoon.

tod
06-13-2005, 01:44 PM
...drone on and on and on about how everything is so much better in Florida. I am so tired of friends of mine condescendingly saying "It's so tiny! Disney World is much bigger, and so is Epcot" and I may not be alone in this.

--t

Disney Vault
06-13-2005, 01:45 PM
First off " breath hon" I to am a planning person and plan stuff to death.I went for the first time ever in august last year and I was so worried about things we had a misrble time. relax, breath and go with the flow. get fast passes when possible and just have fun. see shows, take plenty of pictures and by all means eat the goodies. But my most important word to you is throw the paper away, stop planing and just relax. If I had listened to a few here I would not have had it so bad . I went again a few months ago and guess what ? I had a awsome time!! Do not plan, just get your fast passes to the rides you really want to ride and relax and go with it all. You will have a grand time I promise!!
That is great advise. I love just going with the flow while at Disney parks. Even when my family went to WDW (there were 8 of us) we didn't have a big schedule. I had researched the place and knew what we shouldn't miss but overall we just did what we wanted to do freely. It made for the best trip possible imo.

Shortiemetoo
06-13-2005, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=HydroGuy
At DL:

a. Space Mountain
b. Pirates of the Carribean
c. Indiana Jones
d. Haunted Mansion
e. Matterhorn
f. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
g. Fantasmic Show (go to the late one at 10:30 and get there early to get a good position).
h. I have not yet seen the new fireworks show, but everyone says it is not to be missed.

At DCA:

a. Soarin' Over CA
b. Tower of Tower
c. California Screamin
d. Animation Studio

[/QUOTE]

Great List...But if you have early entry than make sure to go on Peter Pans adventures as it gets very crowded! Even if you don't have kids it is a great ride! Also sometimes during early entry the Matterhorn is open on the Fantasyland side with a lot shorter lines! Have a great time!!

phoenixfire2k5
06-13-2005, 04:27 PM
First of all, Welcome to California.
Second, two words: SPACE MOUNTAIN!!!!
Its been closed for over 2 years, and the line of diehard fans waiting for its long awaited return will be long.
Third, if you can, do try to get the enhanced fastpass and have someone get as many fastpasses as you can.
Fourth, the new fireworks are awesome!! A must see!! If you want to see them, plus the parade, PLUS Fantasmic then I suggest one of the following:
Either plan your trip so you have at least two days at the Disneyland resort. OR.....
If you can only do it in one, I suggest don't see the first parade, but see the second one. People camp out EARLY for both the parade AND the fireworks in the center of the park near the Walt Disney statue. If you have a group, it is easier to have a few people save your seat in a "certain area" (which I'll get to in a moment) while others go on rides and switch off. Check for parade times (which are around 4pm & 7:45pm for the weekend you're planning, but could change so still check ahead). So start saving your seat about 5, but the earlier the better. Probably right after the first parade would be the best time to save your seat. Now, for that certain seat. I have done this personally myself and this works GREAT!! The only downfall, is waiting a long time, but for the awesome parade and fireworks it is definitly worth it. If you look at a map of Disneyland, direct your eyes at the "plaza hub" (or Disney statue) on the parade route side. The best seat for both the parade AND the fireworks is on the "northeast curve" of the plaza hub. The benches along the hub facing the Matterhorn will not be moved and you can sit here for both the parade and the fireworks. You want to sit basically lined up with the parade route. (So that if you were sitting here for the first parade, the floats would be coming right at you, or for the second one, you'll see them come around from your right and then you'll be looking at the backs of them once they pass. This seat is ideal especially for the fireworks, cause you will have UNOBSTRUCTED views of the castle, the Matterhorn, AND Tinkerbell's MULTIPLE flights above the castle. Yes, I said multiple. I don't want to give too much away, but this seat is the best because you're in the middle of ALL the pyros that go on around you in the plaza hub area, but you also are able to see the images cast upon the castle AND the Matterhorn. Again, the downfall is waiting a long time, but the end results ARE WORTH IT!!!! (The new fireworks have been dubbed a "Mini-Fantasmic.") And it will make your first trip to the "first theme park" that more memorable. Especially if you do it on your very first night there. If you have several people with you in your group, it makes the wait easier by having a few save your seats and "switch off" every now and then. I live in the area, and who knows, I just might be there that Saturday holding my own seat and be willing to save your seats for ya! ;) Wouldn't be the first time. :)

And again, if you're only doing it in one day and still want to see Fantasmic, then see the SECOND showing. If you try to see the first Fantasmic, and stay in that area for the fireworks, you will be MISSING OUT ON A LOT!!! So I strongly suggest that you DO NOT do this, unless you do this on a second or third night and have previously seen the new fireworks from the above mentioned particular spot. If only there for one night, then go to the Fantasmic viewing area after the fireworks are over. I do have to warn you, it will be very difficult to do this for the area around in front of the castle AND the Fantasmic viewing area will be jam packed to the point to where it will be very difficult to move. And it might be hard to find a good spot to see Fantasmic once you get over there. But either way, I hope you enjoy it.

And Fifth and last, as I just said, enjoy it. No matter what happens, have fun and enjoy it. Even in my own experiences, and seeing it with others, something goes wrong it can really damper or ruin your day there. Yeah, the lines will be long. It may be hot. But they'll be like that no matter what day you go. Just have fun and enjoy it.

"In all the times that I have come to Disneyland, this was the most fun I have ever had here." <a male guest, leaving the park one night with his family, a couple years ago.">

SeansMom
06-13-2005, 04:39 PM
I didn't see anybody else offer this piece of advice, it they did, it's worth repeating. Get a RideMax subscribtion. I THOUGHT some of the plans were goofy (as in not the way I would have done it!) but found out that they went really smoothly. I DID NOT try to cram everything into two days, but spread them out over several days, breaking the park into different sections. Have fun, and enjoy California (it'll still be hot, but WITHOUT the darn humidity!)

bananna
06-14-2005, 05:15 AM
It's hard to plan, when you've never been to the resort.. I tried to make a plan for the first day.. Some of it went well.. But I found it easier to make a plan LATER (for our 3rd/final Park Day) of all the things we didn't see and circle what we really cared about, on the D.L and C.A. Map... Drawing a line from one destination to the next, really helped us when hubby said "What next?".. We were able to do almost everything we circled at both parks in one day.

Also, able to make a plan of our 'OFF day from the park', once I saw how Downtown Disney was set up, etc.

sdfilmcritic
06-14-2005, 05:18 AM
Since DLR is only a fraction of the size of WDW I'll give you the simplistic piece of advice I can give you. Pace yourself! There's no need to try to cram the whole entire park in to a small time frame. There's not as much offered at DLR as there may be at WDW so you don't have to rush through everything just to say you've experienced everything.

DizMagic
06-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Did you look into the PPH. Granted I did not check out any rooms, but on the trip I just returned from - I went to all of the DL resorts to have a "look-see". I was most impressed by the lobby, ammenities and stores at the PPH - way more than DLH. Of course, if you can spring it - GCH was amazing!

Neon Cactus
06-14-2005, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't waste the money on a guide book or Ridemax. You will be able to pretty much do it all in three days, even at a somewhat relaxed pace. Just use fastpass. Keep in mind that Roger Rabbit and Grizzly River Rapids are not on the regular network so you can get those fastpasses at the same time you hold one for another ride.

The fastpasses for Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain and I'm assuming Space Mountain at that time will go the fastest, so if you don't get the enhanced fastpass through AAA, get those fastpasses first. They don't enforce the return times so save them up and use them later in the day.

If this is your first time, I'd say the rides you don't want to miss are the ones you can't experience at WDW:

Matterhorn
Indiana Jones
Alice in Wonderland
Roger Rabbit
Mr. Toad
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Storybook Land
Casey Jr.
Columbia
The new 50th Anniversary Exhibit, and don't miss the Steve Martin film.

Also, some of the rides, especially Pirates and Buzz Lightyear are different and worth seeing.

DCA is worth the time as well. It probably won't take you that long to see it, but it has some good rides.

And if you can, drive the 6 miles to Knott's and go to Mrs. Knott's for chicken dinner and boysenberry punch.

Disney Vault
06-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Did you look into the PPH. Granted I did not check out any rooms, but on the trip I just returned from - I went to all of the DL resorts to have a "look-see". I was most impressed by the lobby, ammenities and stores at the PPH - way more than DLH. Of course, if you can spring it - GCH was amazing!
I would recommend the DLH way over the PPH. I have never stayed at the PPH (only walked through it). But the DLH location just seems so much better because you step put and then walk right through downtown disney. For the PPH you have to walk along the street before getting to DTD which just doesn't look magical.

angey77
06-15-2005, 06:26 AM
Thanks everyone!
I am really enjoying and appreciating all the input.
Hakuna Makarla, my husband would agree with you. I never seem to breathe when in WDW. He jokes and says I even schedule bath room breaks (he's lying, of course). :) I'm TRYING to behave myself this time around, thank you for reminding me!
We will be booking through AAA, so we have piece of mind that we can get FPs more easily and instead of spending an hour or more in line, we can shop and take in the details that I hear are missing from WDW.
BTW, it is just the two of us, late-20s, no children.
Disneys Biggest Fan, as far as WDW, I have stayed at FW, ASMovies, ASMusic, CSR, POFQ (twice), AKL, SSR, CR and this December, we are staying at VWL and AKL (again).
Also, we were going to eat dinner one night at Blue Bayou, but we decided, being from Louisiana, we don't want to eat local food across the country. We are now debating between the Vineyard Room and Napa Rose. I have heard more good things about Napa Rose. Any comments?
Also, who has the best counter service?

JiminyCricket
06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Everything people have said is good. I just want to add to make sure that you get a spot right in front of the castle for the Remember that Dreams come True fireworks show. It is FANTASTIC!

Also make sure that you schedule the Fantasmic show too. It is much grander at Disneyland! The best views are on the bridge across of Pirates.

Also you can book a very special dessert at the Disney Gallery which allows you a great veiw of Fantasmic!

Rides and attractions not to miss:

Indy Jones
Pirates of the Caribbean (a Walt Disney Original!)
Tiki Room (another Original!) Remember to get a Dole Whip!
Space Mountain (I think it is more thrilling than WDW. Let us know what you think)
Toontown (Great Interactive fun!)
Fantasyland (so many additional attractions than WDW! If you have a little one, this is heaven!)

Have a great trip!

phoenixfire2k5
06-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Everything people have said is good. I just want to add to make sure that you get a spot right in front of the castle for the Remember that Dreams come True fireworks show. It is FANTASTIC!

Also make sure that you schedule the Fantasmic show too. It is much grander at Disneyland! The best views are on the bridge across of Pirates.

Also you can book a very special dessert at the Disney Gallery which allows you a great veiw of Fantasmic!

Rides and attractions not to miss:

Indy Jones
Pirates of the Caribbean (a Walt Disney Original!)
Tiki Room (another Original!) Remember to get a Dole Whip!
Space Mountain (I think it is more thrilling than WDW. Let us know what you think)
Toontown (Great Interactive fun!)
Fantasyland (so many additional attractions than WDW! If you have a little one, this is heaven!)

Have a great trip!

Good idea, but if you had read my rather lengthy reply, you would've seen that I had mentioned that, but also an even better location to the right of the castle. Still being able to see it, but also an unobstructed view of the Matterhorn. Sitting right in front of the castle, there are trees that will block your view of the matterhorn. Also, sitting where I suggested also allows you to sit on a bench rather then on the ground right in front of the castle. Not suggested to sit right in front of the castle. Picture it this way: When you go to a movie theater, do you sit in the first few rows in front of the screen to where you have to crane your neck to look up, do you sit way in the back or do you sit in the middle? The plaza hub, would be the middle. You're not angling your neck so much to look up and see the fireworks.

JiminyCricket
06-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Good idea, but if you had read my rather lengthy reply, you would've seen that I had mentioned that, but also an even better location to the right of the castle...

You are absolutely right that this more specific spot is better. I know that in the Magic Kingdom in Florida, the location to see Wishes does not have to be so exact. You are right. That location would be prime! ;)

One other thing about Disneyland is the history. At WDW, it is about rides and great food. At Disneyland, it is more about the place, the feeling it gives you and the history.

Look at the light above the firehouse. It is the apartment that Walt would sleep at. The light would be turned on when he was in the park. Now it is alway on to show his spirit is there.

Ride the firetruck. It is the same vehicle that Walt would drive around the place checking on the rides.

Go to the Disney Gallery above Pirate. Although Walt never was there, it was supposed to be his residence to entertain important people.

Wonder the small streets of New Orleans Square. It makes you feel like you were there.

Have a great time!

phoenixfire2k5
06-15-2005, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=JiminyCricket]Look at the light above the firehouse. It is the apartment that Walt would sleep at. The light would be turned on when he was in the park. Now it is alway on to show his spirit is there.

Never knew that....good to know.

angey77
06-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Wonder the small streets of New Orleans Square. It makes you feel like you were there.

I have to chuckle at this one because I grew up in New Orleans. I keep picturing bums, fortune tellers, puddles made of who knows and the smell. Thank goodness Disney doesn't have that!

hbquikcomjamesl
06-15-2005, 09:22 PM
DLR is quite a bit smaller than WDW. In WDW, the only parks within walking distance of each other are Epcot and MGM (and only if you use the back entrance to Epcot). In DLR, both parks, and DTD as well, are literally right next to each other. And in particular, DL, our MK, is much smaller than your MK.

And I'm sure you'll find ours as disorienting as I found yours, the first time: you'll probably be lulled into expecting to find something in one place, only to find it as much as a few hundred yards away from where you expected it to be.

On the other hand, you'll find a lot of attractions in ours that either don't exist in yours, or exist in radically different forms. Our "Pirates" is better than yours. Our HM (and Tokyo's, and Paris's, and probably Hong Kong's) has a feature that was left out of yours, because when yours was built, nobody realized it WAS a feature.

On the other hand, our Magic Kingdom has something no other Magic Kingdom in the world has: The Hand of Walt. That's why Disneyland is the only place in the world that can truly be called Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom.

angey77
06-16-2005, 04:37 AM
Our HM (and Tokyo's, and Paris's, and probably Hong Kong's) has a feature that was left out of yours, because when yours was built, nobody realized it WAS a feature.

Oooh, peaked my interest here. Can you tell me what that is?

hbquikcomjamesl
06-16-2005, 05:43 AM
I could, but I don't want to spoil anything. Indeed, it may be something you already know about.

I will say that, like the feature that's missing from your Pirates, it was something that was done for purely practical reasons here, to save valuable in-berm space, omitted in Florida because there's no shortage of space there, then reinstated in every subsequent MK because it turned out people missed it, enough to complain about its absence, in Florida.