PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: 6/12/05

blusilva
06-12-2005, 09:51 PM
I made my second trip back to the Park after well over a year away, and today I actually got to hit some attractions. Wow! They've really spiffed everything up quite nicely. I am impressed, and I hope they continue this level of quality.

First stop was Peter Pan, but it went down just as we got in line, so we opted for the Matterhorn instead and rode both sides to determine which side is faster - definately the Tomorrowland side! By the time we'd finished, Peter Pan was back up. It's been a long time since I've taken that trip, and I ignored the EXIT signs as well as I could.

Then we were off for my inaugural trip on Buzz Lightyear. I had more fun than I expected, although I was so hyper-focused on shooting things that I didn't actually see much of the attraction itself. I was extremely impressed with the pre-show Buzz figure. It looks like it utilizes the same projection technology as Madame Leota and Califia over at DCA. Is that the case? I was fascinated by it, but the line was moving too fast for me to really get a good look at it (how weird is it that I wished the line were moving more slowly?) I didn't realize (or remember, because I actually had this bit of knowledge tucked in my brain somewhere) that the cars were spinnable. Duh. I got a L-3, which I guess isn't too bad for a newbie. I was also impressed with the use of the space. The queue itself seemed pretty short and direct. Not like the mile-long treks of Roger Rabbit or Indy, but themed just as well. Kudos to the Imagineers.

Then we hiked it over to Haunted Mansion, since I'd mentioned how much the technology must have improved for that Buzz projection and my friend said "Ooooh, you haven't seen Madame Leota lately have you? Let's go!" I'd read online that she was now floaty, but dang! I didn't expect that much magic! I also liked the new lighting (and wardrobe?) on the Bride and wished a fond farewell to Thurl Ravenscroft in the graveyard. I heard his voice all over the Park today and he is greatly missed.

Next stop, Jungle Cruise! I really enjoyed the new additions, particularly the baby elephant with Trader Sam and the big boom of the dynomite. The pirhannas were difficult to see from my vantage point at the very front of the boat. Perhaps I'll get a better view further back.

My friends had to leave, but I decided to hang out and check out a few more things at a leisurely pace. The Tiki Room is back to its former glory and I had a Dole Whip Float in honor of Merlin Jones' great pictorial from a few months back. I love watching the little kids' faces as they fall under the Enchantment. It never gets old for me!

I took a ride on the Mark Twain and hopped onto Pirates (more big booms there, too! I actually got wet from the cannon fire!) then strolled back to Critter Country hoping for a quick visit with Pooh, but the line was too long. After a lunch break at the Hungry Bear, I headed towards home, but not before I finally got my very own pair of golden ears! All in all, a terrific day at the Park!

Ottmar
06-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Wow, it sounds like you had a great trip. It appears that you had a very knowledgeable Disney fan with you. Impressive.

pirateabbie
06-13-2005, 05:39 AM
It sounds as though you had a really great time! Thanks for the report!

nursemelis374
06-13-2005, 06:39 AM
I think that Buzz in the queue is really neat too! It is a shame that people are only in that room for a little bit!

CrazyTrain
06-13-2005, 06:03 PM
I don't know if Buzz and Leota use the same technology, but I do know what Buzz is projected from inside his head and Leota is projected from the outside onto the ball. :)

blusilva
06-13-2005, 09:46 PM
I don't know if Buzz and Leota use the same technology, but I do know what Buzz is projected from inside his head and Leota is projected from the outside onto the ball. :)

Thanks for the info. That's really cool!

And, yes, Ottmar, my friend Jim is a true DisneyGeek and I adore him for it!