PDA

View Full Version : Kids Fly Free question

JosieGirl71
06-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Alaska Air usually offers Kids Fly Fre up to age 11 every spring. My question is this... Do you have to prove the child's age when you make the reservation or at the airport? My son will be 12 when we travel next spring but looks like a 10 year old so I thought I might be able to save some money. (BTW, I don't want a debate about how immoral it is to lie about a child's age to save money.)

sleepyjeff
06-12-2005, 10:02 PM
We took an 11 year old neighbor girl to Disneyland a couple of years ago (she "looked" like a 13 year old) with no questions asked....

Leap for Joy
06-13-2005, 07:46 AM
When we flew with my 7yo niece a couple of years ago (just a regular flight) she had to show ID. She had her small birth certificate card and the flight attendant asked her when her birthday was to verify that it was hers. We were so worried because the card has the year wrong! But, the attendant was happy with August 30th.

Hakuna Makarla
06-13-2005, 07:50 AM
wow I forgot kids fly free in the spring, thanks for reminding me josie!! The funny part is Rachal is 10 and looks 15 ! She is 5'3 at this moment with a size 8 1/2 shoe ! So we better take a birth certificate for sure LOL!

hlbtimes2
06-13-2005, 07:59 AM
I doubt they would ask. However, I would check prices with and with out the "fly free" promo. While that deal always sounds good, its not usually the best deal you can get. The fly free deal is usually on a full fare flight for the adults. Often you can get a better rate by just paying for everyone in the party, as stupid as that sounds.

Crazy4DL
06-13-2005, 08:04 AM
When we flew with my 7yo niece a couple of years ago (just a regular flight) she had to show ID. She had her small birth certificate card and the flight attendant asked her when her birthday was to verify that it was hers. We were so worried because the card has the year wrong! But, the attendant was happy with August 30th.

We have flown with all the grandkids and their parents several times (from WA to CA) and never had to show ID for the grandkids. I believe I read somewhere that if the child is travelling with any one besides their parents (and parents aren't with them) they have to have ID or if they are travelling from outside of the US, of course.

edited to add: grandkids are 7, 4, 2 and 1 years of age

sami869
06-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Keep in mind that the adult tickets for the "kids fly free" deals are usually more expensive than normal tickets. I was looking into that because my little brother was going to fly down there with my Boyfrend and me and it said each adult ticket would be over $250. I would fly Southwest or American for $140. It would be cheaper to buy three adult priced tickets than to take advantage of "free" kids tickets. But maybe it's not always like this?

rentayenta
06-13-2005, 12:48 PM
(BTW, I don't want a debate about how immoral it is to lie about a child's age to save money.)

LOL! :D

I have found that the Alaska Air deal is no deal at all.

JosieGirl71
06-13-2005, 01:19 PM
I was planning on booking a four night vacation through Alaska Air. I will have enough FF miles that my ticket will be free and if we can book my husband's ticket at $250 with my son flying free, that is three tickets for the price of one (so to speak).

Flying out of Portland, we usually spend $250 RT anyway. The only way to get it cheaper would be to fly Southwest and even that doesn't save us much money. :rolleyes:

hlbtimes2
06-13-2005, 01:30 PM
If you normally pay about $250 each, your ticket will probably be more then that for the one person on a the kids fly free promo. The $250 is probably whats considered a "restricted" fare (meaning it has requirements- a saturday night stay, a time of day, something that makes it that fare). Usually the tickets for the promo are "unrestricted", and sell for almost double. Hopefully, for your sake, I'm wrong. But, its what I've always found when we were going to use the promo.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, budget higher then the $250 so that you aren't shocked if it is more. If it is $250 you'll have a little more money to spend while there!

slanders
06-13-2005, 01:50 PM
We just flew Alaska air and we had to show our children's birth certificate so you may want to make sure.

Sonja