PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions!- what you want in future Parades!

Pages : [1] 2

tcsnwhite
06-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Hey everyone,

I need some opinions/comments on the following:

What would you all like to see in future Disney parades?

This can be anything, from music, to costumes, to characters, to floats, to theme/motif.
Please describe thoroughly and specifically what you would like to see.
this is about future productions, not the current ones running.

thanks
tcsnwhite

ps. if you don't like parades, don't respond. this for people who enjoy them.

Shortiemetoo
06-12-2005, 01:45 PM
I loved the Mardi Gras parade!! I would love to see something like that again! :D

Niwel
06-12-2005, 02:47 PM
I'd like to see a parade dedicate to the live action movies: Herbie, Mary Poppins, Parent Trap, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Pollyanna, Summer Magic, Treaseure Island, Happiest Millionaire, Genuine One and Only Original Family Band, Absent-minded Professor... etc

Wendi
06-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Hey everyone, What would you all like to see in future Disney parades?Are you creating a new Disney Parade or something??? :confused:

The Mouse Is Back
06-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Yeah, really. Who exactly are you, and why do you *need* opinions?

And what makes you think you can forbid anyone from responding if they don't enjoy parades?

Sheesh. It isn't a full moon yet, so there must be something else going on.

-Allegra-

CrazyMouse
06-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Yeah, really. Who exactly are you, and why do you *need* opinions?

And what makes you think you can forbid anyone from responding if they don't enjoy parades?

Sheesh. It isn't a full moon yet, so there must be something else going on.

-Allegra-

Hey guys he said if you are not going to respond about what he is asking, then don't respond. Simple.

The Mouse Is Back
06-12-2005, 05:10 PM
And you're not the boss of where I post either, Crazy Mouse. :)

I actually enjoy watching parades, and I have ideas about what I'd like to see at DL in the future. If this person (in Sacramento) actually has some input into that, then I'd be happy to list comprehensive information.

But...anyone can put "Creative Director" under their name, or add a signature line about the Parade of Dreams. For all I know, they work for the competition and are just picking our brains.

Call me cynical.

-Allegra-

Wendi
06-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey guys he said if you are not going to respond about what he is asking, then don't respond. Simple.

No, he said not to respond if you didn't like parades... I do like parades, I'm just curious (or you could call me nosey!)

tcsnwhite
06-12-2005, 06:27 PM
ok everyone, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Truly, I didn't.
I simply put that people who don't like parades to not respond was simply because on another board, this same thread kind of got bombarded with posts by people who hate parades, and were kind of acting like jerks.
I just wanted to get the people who were interested to respond, but obviously it didn't work.
Again, I never meant to offend anyone.

On another note, no I don't work for Disney. Well, not yet. Soon, I plan on working for Disney Creative Entertainment, and was simply wondering what my fellow disney fans out there would like to see in future parade productions.
I just wanted to get a bunch of different opinions and ideas so that I could always keep them in mind.
(Remember, Walt said you have got to listen to what the people want-that is who you create for).

This was just meant to be fun thread. Sorry.

So, if anyone has any ideas or opinions on what they would like to see in future productions, please post.
it is just meant to be a fun thread.

tcsnwhite :( :)

Shortiemetoo
06-12-2005, 07:50 PM
it is just meant to be a fun thread.

tcsnwhite :( :)

Taken as such and I still liked the Mardi Gras parade...lol

MrsG
06-12-2005, 08:01 PM
I loved the Lion King parade. Colorful. Upbeat, moving music. Entertainment throughout - NO parade stops.

tcsnwhite
06-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Lion King did have show stops.

The Mouse Is Back
06-12-2005, 10:55 PM
I really loved Circus Fantasy. The whole event, not just the parade.

And I'd like to see more interaction with guests during parades. It's always more fun when spectators get into the act.

-Allegra-

uvsc_wolverine
06-12-2005, 10:55 PM
My favorite parade of all time was the Electrical Parade. I know that's not what you're asking for...but that has some bearing on my response.

There were several things that parade had going for it:
1. Catchy, memorable, fun soundtrack
2. Lots and lots of characters
3. The parade itself was fun

Some of my absolute favorite memories at Disneyland involve the MSEP. I can remember (I was fifteen at the time) just being so happy standing there, hearing the music, smiling and waving at some of my favorite Disney characters.

The Parade of Dreams (from what I've heard, I haven't seen it yet) seems to have some of those same elements. Seeing these characters is like getting wrapped in your favorite old blanket. One thing that really got to me about the Electrical Parade was that the characters seemed to be having fun. I vividly remember Prince John jumping around and playing his calliope. I remember Alice and Pete (Pete's Dragon) saying hello to the gathered crowd.

How about parades that play to the sentiments we have with these characters? Maybe a new parade every 2-5 years with updated characters and scenes. Keep a few classics and add new favorites.

One thing that I find essential to my enjoyment of a presentation is the soundtrack. I absolutely loved the soundtrack to the "Believe..." fireworks show. I don't actually remember much of the show itself, but I remember the music. I was watching a video of the "Remember..." fireworks show earlier today and I almost cried (you wanna make something of it?) when I heard the MSEP music.

So, I guess my post boils down to - soundtrack, characters, and fun.

tcsnwhite
06-12-2005, 11:20 PM
I really loved Circus Fantasy. The whole event, not just the parade.

And I'd like to see more interaction with guests during parades. It's always more fun when spectators get into the act.

-Allegra-

I am little too young to know what Circus Fantasy was.
Can you describe what it was like?

sdfilmcritic
06-12-2005, 11:32 PM
I want more of Belle!

I think that covers just about everything.

The Mouse Is Back
06-13-2005, 12:15 AM
I am little too young to know what Circus Fantasy was.
Can you describe what it was like?

Circus Fantasy was one of several themed events that were held during the mid-late 1980s, and I think the early 1990s, during the low season. They had clowns, face painters, jugglers, etc., and the parade featured live animals and acrobats. They had a daredevil motorcycle rider in a cage by the Hub. I know I have a bunch of pics from it and probably a guide somewhere. I thought the parade was great.

Some of the other events they had were State Fair (a ferris wheel by the Hub), Blast to the Past ('50s and '60s music, events, costumes). I know there were a few others but I don't remember specifically.

That was back in the day when Disney actually put some thought and planning into creating themed events to draw more people into the Park when attendance was lower. Now it's just "here's your cheapo admission, now enjoy all the closed attractions and long lines, and oh by the way, give us your money".

-Allegra-

spectromen
06-13-2005, 06:58 AM
#1 request is ORIGINAL music for each parade, not stolen tunes from either other Disney parks or former Disney movies. "Welcome" is from Tarzan, not from the Parade of Dreams. The main Party Gras tune was completely original. Same with "Livin it Up" from Celebration USA.
I can forgive the Lion King Celebration soundtrack because it was completely re-orchestrated and provided a totally different experience than the original sountrack. Plus, it had such an emotional element that it seemed perfectly fine to use the same songs. So basically, it should provide a new song that people can walk away singing (and subsequently want to buy on the latest park CD) and have some sort of heart-tugging moment to differentiate it from a parade you might see at some other amusement park.

MrsG
06-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Lion King did have show stops.
You're right, it did have stops. Maybe I don't remember them quite as well because the 'inbetween the stops' was more entertaining than the current POD. JMO

Tinkervamp
06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm a collector of attraction/ride memorabilia. I would LOVE to see different floats representing the attractions with the corresponding music being piped through: Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Small World, Autopia, etc. Maybe choose guests to "ride" the different attraction floats wearing silly loose-fitting costumes or accessories.

pisces
06-13-2005, 10:07 AM
What I'd like, is for them to NOT cancel existing parades. Especially EP during the holidays.

I expect EP to be there year after year.

I also want parades to remain at their standard locations: that means Christmas Fantasy needs to remain on Main Street.

pretty Omi
06-13-2005, 08:36 PM
because a lot of people mix these two up... the lion who plays the calliope in MSEP is not Prince John, but actually King Leonidas from Bedknobs and Broomsticks, hence the whistle that he blows, because he plays rugby

some suggestions i would like to make... are for at least one walk-about, i would love to see Marie from the Aristocats! they have on in Tokyo i believe.. i have seen a pic of her in a parade at least...
my other suggestion, is some sort of voices in the characters... they talk to kids in the parade, so why not when they give them hugs? i think with as advanced as technology is, that some sort of thing could be make which makes a person's voice sound like the characters... if the characters could talk i think children would be less afraid of them

The Mouse Is Back
06-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Rarely have I seen any child afraid of the characters. To the contrary, they run right up to them. The only ones who have a hard time are babies and toddlers, when their parents continue to push them at the characters when they clearly don't want to interact with them.

Considering that people from all over the world come to DL, I don't think giving the characters voices would work. One of the great things about the characters not speaking is that they communicate in a way that is universally understood.

-Allegra-

CinemaGal15
06-14-2005, 01:18 AM
I loved the Lion King Parade and the Electrical Parade....

Gone2Disneyland
06-14-2005, 06:29 AM
Well, as a designer myself, the first thing I look for is a theme to tie things together to. With anniversaries and tributes in the Disney air right now, I thought maybe the theme may be the classic Disney characters: Mickey, Donald, Minnie, et al. I was freethinking if large-scale video monitors may be used, and that got me thinking about a series of float that present a chronological presentation in tribute of the Disney's classic characters, perhaps in combo with monitors, figural pieces, and live reenactments.

Also, while hometown parades include marching bands as a staple, I don't remember the last time a major Disney parade featured one, so why not? Particularly since the opening titles to the Mickey Mouse Club black and white series was underscored and performed by one. To me the idea seems classic as well.

A friend mentioned that she was disappointed by PoD simply because it didn't offer quite a tribute to the park itself, like "Remember..." does so well. She was expecting the idea mentioned above about park rides as floats. So I think that's a great idea, but Disneyland may have missed that opportunity. But it could be one that the other parks choose to do.

I do like how the Cirque du Soleil acrobatics were added to PoD, but I'm kinda over it already. But the theme song adds so much punch to the parade, that yes, a successful signature theme song is the spine for a successful Disney parade.