PDA

View Full Version : Food service situation improving?

Pages : [1] 2

scaeagles
06-12-2005, 12:02 PM
My family is heading out on the 21st for a week and I was wondering if the much discussed food service problems are improving at all?

The Mouse Is Back
06-12-2005, 12:10 PM
My family is heading out on the 21st for a week and I was wondering if the much discussed food service problems are improving at all?

I'm kind of wondering the same thing, i.e., is management aggressively working to make sure that once the official summer season kicks in there will be enough bodies at food locations?

We were at the Parks last week and didn't really have any problem, but there will be a lot higher attendance after next week! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Have a great vacation! :)

-Allegra-

scaeagles
06-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks!

phillyorig
06-12-2005, 04:30 PM
I didnt eat in any restuarants in DLR but I wanted popcorn and they are few and far between. To me, it looked like they didn't have them up and running till night time. Also with the Ice Cream stands.
At the hub, the one there was longer than Indy ride, before the parade.

ChurroLad
06-12-2005, 11:34 PM
I didnt eat in any restuarants in DLR but I wanted popcorn and they are few and far between. To me, it looked like they didn't have them up and running till night time. Also with the Ice Cream stands.
At the hub, the one there was longer than Indy ride, before the parade.

I dont know the situation with restaurants, but i know they have been hiring a lot of people as of late.

Popcorn carts are 99.9999999% up by 11 am at

Small World
Main Street (Hub)
Haunted Mansion

Those are the main ones that through hell and brimstone are open. Recently the following carts have also been out:

Main Street (City Hall)
Small World (Snow White ent)
Frontierland Ent
Splash Mountain

Ice Cream usually closes early (for obvious reasons)

If your a procrastinator, the Haunted Mansion one stays open till around the end of the first fantasmic, then the one in the Hub is the last one left.

Other than that, I dont know of any "problems with food service" unless your talking about waiting times in the restaurants.

Oh and yes things tend to get busy in Main Street before parades and fireworks. Its kind of like getting on the freeway at 5pm on a friday and wondering why theres so much traffic :p

SoCalSteven
06-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Last night at the French Market the wait was incredibly long. The staff was horribly slow.

The food was good, once we got it.

ChurroLad
06-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Last night at the French Market the wait was incredibly long. The staff was horribly slow.

The food was good, once we got it.

what time did you eat? might have also had to do with new hires. French Market can get realllly bad if blue bayou is over booked to.

SoCalSteven
06-13-2005, 12:34 AM
what time did you eat? might have also had to do with new hires. French Market can get realllly bad if blue bayou is over booked to.
Really late, like 8:30PM.

ChurroLad
06-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Really late, like 8:30PM.

Hm thats kinda wierd. Ive bussed over there a couple times, and it might have been becuase the day crew left at around 7 ish and its a skeleton crew from then till closing. Might have been on account of the close timing to Fantasmic! also.

CinemaGal15
06-13-2005, 01:05 AM
i.e., is management aggressively working to make sure that once the official summer season kicks in there will be enough bodies at food locations?

Well to answer this question... it's not really managements job to make sure there are enough bodies... the real people in charge would be the schedulers and then above them.... is the new hiring crew that hire foods people. And above them all would be the foods ops managers who tell the schedulers to hire people....

And as for the only reason why it didnt seem that bad last week and probably from now on is only because most of us are working over 12 hrs a day and 6 days a week.... which means aprox. over 70 hrs a week.... so on another note, if they seem a little out of it or frustrated, you shouldn't get upset with them because they have been there longer or as long as you and had to work... not have fun like the guests. :(

ChurroLad
06-13-2005, 01:20 AM
Well to answer this question... it's not really managements job to make sure there are enough bodies... the real people in charge would be the schedulers and then above them.... is the new hiring crew that hire foods people. And above them all would be the foods ops managers who tell the schedulers to hire people....

And as for the only reason why it didnt seem that bad last week and probably from now on is only because most of us are working over 12 hrs a day and 6 days a week.... which means aprox. over 70 hrs a week.... so on another note, if they seem a little out of it or frustrated, you shouldn't get upset with them because they have been there longer or as long as you and had to work... not have fun like the guests. :(

you in restaurants cinema? if you are props to you... dont know how restaurant people can stay there with that stress/workload -> pay ratio and stay sane.

infinite
06-13-2005, 06:34 AM
Hello-

This is my first post .

We visited the third week of May, and while wait times might have been a bit longer than expected, and there were places closed, EVERY ONE (and I mean every one) of the cast members was kind, courteous, friendly and accommodating. And I don’t remember wait times being that bad. We booked ahead for everything, and I think our longest was only 30 minutes.

There was one strange happening, however. My husband and I ordered soup at the Wine Country Trattoria in Disney’s California Adventure park, and they were out of spoons! We were told they had a problem with people taking spoons. Eventually they found some, and the soup was very good.

scaeagles
06-13-2005, 07:51 AM
PLease understand my post wasn't meant to slam any CMs. I have actually NEVER had a negative experience with a CM (as far as rudeness or anything). I was only asking because I had read much about problems with understaffing and tremendously long lines.

I think we'll be bringing in most of our snacking options and perhaps planning on eating most of the time at DC or in DTD.

Shortiemetoo
06-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Hello-

This is my first post .

We visited the third week of May, and while wait times might have been a bit longer than expected, and there were places closed, EVERY ONE (and I mean every one) of the cast members was kind, courteous, friendly and accommodating. And I don’t remember wait times being that bad. We booked ahead for everything, and I think our longest was only 30 minutes.

There was one strange happening, however. My husband and I ordered soup at the Wine Country Trattoria in Disney’s California Adventure park, and they were out of spoons! We were told they had a problem with people taking spoons. Eventually they found some, and the soup was very good.

How funny....do the spoons have a special wine country logo on them? I can't imagine why anyone would take a spoon...lol

SoCalSteven
06-13-2005, 08:42 AM
How funny....do the spoons have a special wine country logo on them? I can't imagine why anyone would take a spoon...lol
No, they are generic, cheap, Chinese flatware. Same stuff you'd find at any food service supply place.

infinite
06-13-2005, 08:49 AM
That’s right, there is nothing special about the spoons, so I am not sure why people were taking them.

Hawkeye Jenny
06-13-2005, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't say it's improving much. New hires every week..but their inexperience and the shoddy rush-job training doesn't help us a ton. I'm scheduled saturday through friday with three 12 hour double shifts and two grad nights along with the 8 hour shifts. (one is 6 hours but I know I'll be extended. Never fails.) Last night CM's were extended whether they liked it or not; mandatory. My requested ADO for my baby sister's high school graduation was just denied - even though it's a weekday and I put the ADO in 2 months in advance. THAT was just plain cold.

Hired in wanting part time and now I'm working 70 hours a week whether I like it or not. My own needs are being ignored (took me a month just to get a day off other than a friday so I could go to the dentist for a toothache! Now I need a root canal because I had to delay treatment for so long (which is scheduled for next week.) That plus being unable to attend my sister's grad ceremony..I'm starting to rethink my job choice. :(

CinemaGal15
06-13-2005, 10:31 AM
PLease understand my post wasn't meant to slam any CMs. I have actually NEVER had a negative experience with a CM (as far as rudeness or anything). I was only asking because I had read much about problems with understaffing and tremendously long lines.

I think we'll be bringing in most of our snacking options and perhaps planning on eating most of the time at DC or in DTD.

I know that you weren't slamming CMs... I just wanted to inform other people of the happenings because we get alot of smack about being short people. And no I'm not in restaurants... I'm in Main Street Snacks.

CinemaGal15
06-13-2005, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't say it's improving much. New hires every week..but their inexperience and the shoddy rush-job training doesn't help us a ton. I'm scheduled saturday through friday with three 12 hour double shifts and two grad nights along with the 8 hour shifts. (one is 6 hours but I know I'll be extended. Never fails.) Last night CM's were extended whether they liked it or not; mandatory. My requested ADO for my baby sister's high school graduation was just denied - even though it's a weekday and I put the ADO in 2 months in advance. THAT was just plain cold.

:(

None of my locations ADOs were approved... I couldn't celebrate my 21st birthday, take finals, and many other things without calling in...which I had to do...

nsyncitnd1787
06-13-2005, 11:49 AM
i feel really bad the CM's in the food department. i hope that the guests are not getting too mad at you all. i am sure they are mad, but they should go and complain at City Hall, not at you. that's what City Hall is for (info, compliments/ complaints, and other stuff). I hope that the situation in foods changes soon. for everyone's sake. i wonder if Disney is going to loose money from all of this. if i was a first time visitor and saw those lines, i would never eat at Disneyland ever again, or at least for a while. i know it wil all work out eventually. it will have to before summer season is in full gear. stick in there you guys, it will get better. you have to go through tough times to appriciate the good ones.

CrazyTrain
06-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Things seemed a lot better yesterday... I was satisfied with the wait times.

CinemaGal15
06-13-2005, 08:15 PM
i know it will all work out eventually. it will have to before summer season is in full gear. stick in there you guys, it will get better. you have to go through tough times to appriciate the good ones.

LOL I find this kind of funny. What I mean is that since April I always had that mentality that things will get better but really if you come to work thinking it'll be better, its always going to be worse and that'll make you depressed. If you come to working thinking the worse and expecting it, then you have time to laugh about it and just move on. And as for it getting better... Ever since April, it has gotten worse...and we always thought it was getting better... but no... kept getting worse....especially when each of my locations has only 1 person scheduled and 6 open shifts that we are suppose to just find people to fill them even though everyone is on 6-7 days already... HAHAHA Funny! :D

mw9955
06-13-2005, 08:35 PM
We are visiting DLR now and I must say the food wait is frustrating.. I was reading about the Pizza Port and thought - it must not be that bad! I entered and did see a cast member at the beginning tell people there are different lines for salad, pasta, pizza and that was encouraging.. BUT when I got to the pasta line, I waited for at least 2 minutes while 2 female cast memebers were repleneshing sauce (understandable) but when they were done, I asked the first pasta person if I give her the order and she pointed me to the next one.. I then waited in front of that person and waited again.. Finally I said - the girl there told me to give you my order and she said it doesn't matter who takes it.. BUT I had to ask them if I could get spaghetti! I mean they just looked at me for a while. I was pretty upset - how long would they have just ignored me until I spoke up? Geez...

mw9955
06-13-2005, 08:38 PM
The lines for all the New Orleans Square eateries were very long! I waited 35 minutes for my clam chowder 2 days in a row at 2 different places.. You gotta eat early or not during parades I think.. I started the lines at about 7 pm and 8 pm and it went on forever... By the way, that was even Thurs and Fri when it wasn't that busy.. Today there were tons more guests.. I can't imagine what it will be like in the peak of summer!

Disneyfreak
06-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Riverbelle Terrace was over 1 hour long on the weekend.