PDA

View Full Version : Best features on the Grand Californian Hotel?

Pages : [1] 2

CrazyMouse
06-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Anybody can tell or express how they felt about the hotel, and what they saw that amazed them? Or any advice on the views and rooms. Thanks.

Wendi
06-11-2005, 02:48 PM
The Great Hearth really is great! Staff is wonderful. I LOVE the Arts & Crafts architecture and the feeling of grandeur of the whole place. It's just a beautiful and huge place. I prefer the themepark view, but DTD is fun too.

bassett1976
06-11-2005, 02:49 PM
My wife and I have stayed at the GCH twice. Once we had a view of the parking lot and the other time we had a view of the theme park overlooking the pier section of DCA. We had to switch rooms since we were in a DTD room and could hear the music from Jamba in our room. We've liked the rooms both times and the location is the strongest point. You can get into DCA within a few minutes from the furthest part of the hotel. The last time we went we had to wait about 20 minutes in line to check in and then with the room issue I had to wait another 20 minutes in line to get keys to a new room. I really feel that the money we spent wasn't quite worth it.

Last month, we stayed at the DL hotel. The price was much cheeper and we enjoyed the location. The rooms had a DL theme and we really enjoyed our time. The worst part was the room was facing the pool and it was a little noisy until the pool closed for the night. We would recommend the DLH over GCH (but that is our opinion). At some point we will try the Paradise Pier Hotel.

Disney Vault
06-11-2005, 03:12 PM
This is the only place we stay now. It is amazing and I love the lobby of the hotel. I would recommend a DTD view or park view. We usually get the GRR view. My favorite part about the whole hotel is the private entrance into DCA and how you step right out into DTD.

Shortiemetoo
06-11-2005, 03:18 PM
My daughter and I were considering where to stay next April. I was curious because of the shorter operating hours of DCA how far it is to get to/from the monorail or Disneyland entrance/exit to the hotel when DCA is closed?
Thanks!

DangerMouse
06-11-2005, 03:41 PM
My daughter and I were considering where to stay next April. I was curious because of the shorter operating hours of DCA how far it is to get to/from the monorail or Disneyland entrance/exit to the hotel when DCA is closed?
Thanks!

It's quite close as well. You exit the GCH right out at DTD by the Libby Lu store. It is probably equal distance from this point to either the main gates of DL or the DTD Monorail station.

Shortiemetoo
06-11-2005, 03:57 PM
It's quite close as well. You exit the GCH right out at DTD by the Libby Lu store. It is probably equal distance from this point to either the main gates of DL or the DTD Monorail station.

Perfect...ty DangerMouse!!! I know exactly where that is and you are right its not far at all!! :D

kisroo
06-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I love the lodge/Craftsman feel of the GCH. No matter what else is said about the pricing and amenities...this is one gorgeous hotel. I like the muted Disney feel in the rooms and the big fireplace in the lobby.

I think that proximity to all things Disney is the other main highlight of the hotel. So easy to get to DCA, DL, and DD. It's a few minutes to DH and the monorail station as well.

As far as certain views/rooms. We stayed in a courtyard concierge room (6th floor, I believe). It was so peaceful and perfect for us. Our balcony looked out over a courtyard and the back of the WOD store in DD. It was very quiet sitting on the balcony. This year, we've reserved a theme-park concierge room, so we'll see what that's like!

I love this hotel and if I could afford it, we would only stay here on our DLR vacations.

~kisroo:)

Marox3
06-11-2005, 05:30 PM
GCH is a wonderful place to stay. It's not only a place with a room, but all the other nice ammenties it offers. We use everything - massages, swimming, room service, the works. The staff is wonderful and we really enjoy the architecture and warm atmosphere. We love Arts & Crafts design.

Best of all, we are really lazy. It's close to everything, so we are not wasting time with extra walking or driving. We don't mind paying for these conveniences :cool:

scaeagles
06-11-2005, 05:42 PM
We made the "mistake" of treating ourselves and splurging two summer ago. Now staying there is a must. With small children, the location is simply unbeatable. We love that it's right next to the GRR, so if we get soaked at night, we're right next to our room.

The room are a bit small (we have 3 kids), but it's managable.

The atmosphere is just wonderful. It is beautifully crafted and the staff has always been nothing less than top notch during our stays.

now that I think about it, looking for info on if the GC was worth it is how I cam eo t find these boards and become a member.

Disney Vault
06-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Another plus for the hotel is that it has bunk beds. If you have kids then this is very nice.

scaeagles
06-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Another plus for the hotel is that it has bunk beds. If you have kids then this is very nice.

Unfortunately, they won't gauruntee them for your room when you make your reservation. Over Christmas, even though requested when we made our reservation in July, we didn't get them, and my 5 year old son slept on matts on the floor (they provided them with a sleeping bag). While he thought it was really fun, we felt a little ripped off. The bunkbeds have a trundle and make the room seem much, much bigger.

SCUBAbe
06-11-2005, 07:30 PM
everything was great. The whole atmosphere. The turn down service, the view...it's one of the few hotels I've felt totally relaxed in. Everything I needed was provided for and quickly. It was a wonderful experience. :)

Marox3
06-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Oh another benefit . . .

when you get soaked on Grizzly Flats, you can run up to your room to change and not walk around in wet clothes...... unless you like that sort of thing!!!!

Disney Vault
06-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately, they won't gauruntee them for your room when you make your reservation. Over Christmas, even though requested when we made our reservation in July, we didn't get them, and my 5 year old son slept on matts on the floor (they provided them with a sleeping bag). While he thought it was really fun, we felt a little ripped off. The bunkbeds have a trundle and make the room seem much, much bigger.
That is the one thing I didn't like about that hotel. They don't have roll out beds and instead just have sleeping bags.

tod
06-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Oh another benefit . . .

when you get soaked on Grizzly Flats, you can run up to your room to change and not walk around in wet clothes...... unless you like that sort of thing!!!!

Grizzly River
Condor Flats

--t
who usually doesn't get sniffy about wrong names but come on...

Drince88
06-12-2005, 07:08 AM
My sister and I stayed there in September 2001 and really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. We had a courtyard view, though I think that may have been upgraded tue to all the cancellations, since we didn't pay extra for a view (We arrived Sept 15, and yes, we flew).

The arts and crafts style is just gorgeous, and we took the tour that is (was?) offered and found out about the hidden Mickey in the resort logo. I thought the redwood lounge was great, but I think my favorite part was seeing the stained glass entrance door as the sun was setting.

Leash81
06-12-2005, 10:23 AM
My sister and I stayed there in September 2001 and really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. We had a courtyard view, though I think that may have been upgraded tue to all the cancellations, since we didn't pay extra for a view (We arrived Sept 15, and yes, we flew).

The arts and crafts style is just gorgeous, and we took the tour that is (was?) offered and found out about the hidden Mickey in the resort logo. I thought the redwood lounge was great, but I think my favorite part was seeing the stained glass entrance door as the sun was setting.

Sorry to be a little of the topic but was the courtyard view nice. This is the only view they had available for concierge for my dates and I just wondered if it was good? Thanks

Disney Vault
06-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Sorry to be a little of the topic but was the courtyard view nice. This is the only view they had available for concierge for my dates and I just wondered if it was good? Thanks
Is this the court yard? I took this picture because it was the path to DTD while they were fixing up the normal one.

http://img231.echo.cx/my.php?image=dscn00364xn.jpg

kisroo
06-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Leash~We loved the courtyard view. It was very peaceful in my opinion.

And, you'll love concierge! I can't wait to be pampered there again in December!

Disney's Biggest Fan~Not sure if that's the courtyard view we had when we stayed concierge. Our room faced the courtyard and DD. We didn't see DD, only the back of the WOD store and the courtyard.

DangerMouse
06-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Is this the court yard? I took this picture because it was the path to DTD while they were fixing up the normal one.

http://img231.echo.cx/my.php?image=dscn00364xn.jpg

That looks like the courtyard to me. Although, there may be more than one. We had a courtyard view a couple weeks ago. My dd loved the fact that the monorail went right through the courtyard so we got to see it often. :)

Marox3
06-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Grizzly River
Condor Flats

--t
who usually doesn't get sniffy about wrong names but come on...

Ooops - my bad. You'd think with the number of times I've been, I would least get the names right....

Senior moment..... sorry.....

Drince88
06-12-2005, 02:58 PM
That's similar to the view we had, except the monorail went just about 'under' our room (though there was at least one floor of guest rooms between). And the monorail isn't too loud, IMHO.

azlaura
06-12-2005, 03:32 PM
The picture is of the courtyard and I like the view better than DTD view. We could see the matterhorn from our room on our stay a couple of weeks ago! :) The monorail isn't loud at all and you can't hear it with the doors closed. I think you will be very pleased!

Leash81
06-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Leash~We loved the courtyard view. It was very peaceful in my opinion.

And, you'll love concierge! I can't wait to be pampered there again in December!

Thanks for the thumbs up on the view. We had gotten a standard room with a theme park view but then when we upgraded to concierge they only had the courtyard available so i was a little disappointed but now I feel much better about it. Thanks for all the information everyone.