PDA

View Full Version : Since we haven't had a pro/con AP thread lately...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

The Mouse Is Back
06-09-2005, 06:40 PM
We just returned a couple of hours ago from a three day trip to DLR. Tuesday there were no blockouts for any AP, and it was very busy. Once the mass exodus from DCA to DL took place, it wasn't even worth it to us to stick around.

Wednesday, SoCal Select blocked, and standby times on the most popular attractions went from well over an hour in some cases on Tuesday to 10 or 15 minutes. Today both SoCals were blocked, and although it was somewhat busier than yesterday, it was still hugely different to Tuesday.

I've come to the conclusion that the SoCal Select is the evil twin of the 2Fer, and FastPass is their ugly step-sibling.

Bring back the OFF-SEASON!!

-Allegra-

sleepyjeff
06-09-2005, 07:55 PM
ay.

I've come to the conclusion that the SoCal Select is the evil twin of the 2Fer, and FastPass is their ugly step-sibling.

Bring back the OFF-SEASON!!

-Allegra-

Hear, Hear!!!

I would like to add that they(Disney) could keep the APs if they would just lose the all you can ride fest of the Pay one price admission that comes with the AP....in other words get rid of fast pass and bring back those A - E Tiks.

If A - E tiks are totally out of the question then at least triple the price for an AP.

experiment626
06-09-2005, 08:08 PM
IMO they should eliminate all but the Premium AP. If you really want admission year round for one price the "fork it over."

But that said I plan to get a deluxe because it is cheaper for me to do this then to purchase two 3 day hoppers.

QueenAlisha
06-09-2005, 08:10 PM
If A - E tiks are totally out of the question then at least triple the price for an AP.

Are you out of your mind?? an AP cost enough as it is.

TimBuk2
06-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Hear, Hear!!!

I would like to add that they(Disney) could keep the APs if they would just lose the all you can ride fest of the Pay one price admission that comes with the AP....in other words get rid of fast pass and bring back those A - E Tiks.

I think your nutz !! triple ? what's wrong with you?

SCUBAbe
06-09-2005, 08:31 PM
the ap's are out of control. When waiting tio egt in thw ap's uaully out number regualr ticket holders. I wouldn't care if they did away with them. Or make them more expensive...or at leats get rid of the really cheap ones...

they should charge for fast pass as well...;)

experiment626
06-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Have you noticed that most of those who are against AP's don't live close enough to enjoy them.

The Mouse Is Back
06-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Actually, I've noticed that most of those who are in favor of at least limiting APs (and FP) are locals, or at least people who visit the Parks regularly.

As a local, the thing I always enjoyed most was being able to go to DL on a weekday during what used to be the off-season. Ever since the SoCal AP levels were introduced, what was already a bad situation because of the blasted 2Fer has been made a whole lot worse. Edited to add: I realize the 2Fer is a fairly recent deal, but the Southern California Salute that preceded it was just as bad.

I'll admit that we have deluxe APs, but it's gotten to the point where I practically plan our day trips around the blockout dates for the SoCals.

-Allegra-

Disneyfun
06-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Okay I may be remembering this wrong. But I rememebr when I first moved to S.Cal. They only way you could get a Ap Was if you lived in the local zip code.
And as a local you just knew better and stayed away during the busy days.
And it was great. We had off season days. And Saturdays were busy so you stayed away but sundays were good.
Now with the fast pass open to everyone and so many different options. Well Yes I think the parks are definetly more crowded.
So How about going back to offering the fast pass to thoses only with a local zip code? And only offering the one pass the equalivant of the premium. I do not think passes need to be raised in prices as the PAP is wuite high now. But I do think the others are a bit too inexpensive.
Just my two cents.

I will now run out of the room quickly before you all start throwing things at me. :p

sleepyjeff
06-09-2005, 09:26 PM
I think your nutz !! triple ? what's wrong with you?

Nuts?......No, just a little agoraphobic.

Triple?.....Only if that's what it takes. Start by increasing the price by ...say 50%. If that doesn't significantly reduce the crowds then by all means keep jacking that price up until the park becomes less crowded and more enjoyable!

What's wrong with me?.......I remember how nice the place used to be ;)

*********questions answered assuming you just forgot to put in a ;) or a :) or at least a :fez: before calling me names***************** ;)

TimBuk2
06-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Well, 50 years ago there were 50 gazillion less people in this world, and only 20 billion that wanted to visit Disneyland. I remember the days of the orange groves near the park and Orange Co. I just go early or late, but either way I still have a good time.

sleepyjeff
06-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Have you noticed that most of those who are against AP's don't live close enough to enjoy them.

This fallacy has a name:

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

:)

rentayenta
06-10-2005, 05:06 AM
I have a DAP and don't know if that's what is considered one of the cheapies or not? :confused:

I don't think that they should raise the prices at all. They are plenty expensive. We spend a lot of money everytime we visit. We don't eat outside of the park and we buy tons of stuff. Living in Utah we still manage to get there at least twice a year for 5+ days each trip. My kids are getting their first APs in July. :D

tmshpkns
06-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Why would Disney want to "bring back the offseason"?

While I understand that this thread is about people wanting to enjoy the park with light crowds, realize there is absolutely no incentive for Disney to change (unless they can get more $ while keeping the same attendance numbers).

Disney's direct cost of a guest coming through the gate and riding rides is nill. Costs are pretty much fixed for that day before the park opens. So, every extra person who comes through the gate represents profit, regardless of whether or not they pay admission (assuming they buy anything while inside the park - I can't imagine how you could be there and buy nothing).

Chadsgal
06-10-2005, 06:13 AM
I live in WA and I almost always get a DAP and we only go down once a year and for us it is worth it for one of us to get the pass and save the money to stay on Disney property. I am not there enough for my opinion to add up to much but I agree that the local AP's should go. The offered us one when we upgrade to a DAP they say well we could just do an local to save you money and we live in WA!!!! :eek: Anyway, I love my AP its all the little things like being called by my first name when I enter...kinda cheesy I know. :)

JeffG
06-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Were you really expecting "off-season" crowds in June?

-Jeff

Circarama
06-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Why would Disney want to "bring back the offseason"?

While I understand that this thread is about people wanting to enjoy the park with light crowds, realize there is absolutely no incentive for Disney to change (unless they can get more $ while keeping the same attendance numbers).

Disney's direct cost of a guest coming through the gate and riding rides is nill. Costs are pretty much fixed for that day before the park opens. So, every extra person who comes through the gate represents profit, regardless of whether or not they pay admission (assuming they buy anything while inside the park - I can't imagine how you could be there and buy nothing).
I agree. The business of business is to make money. I don't think that Disney cares as much about the guest experience as they do about profits. That is what makes businesses successful. If they can get more bodies in the Park on a regular basis buy offering an AP for every budget, that's what they're gonna do. The attractions are still gonna run whether there are 40,000 people in the Park or 60,000. The difference is the amount of profit that Disney makes on the 20,000 additional bodies that are consuming food and merchandise.It's healthy for the bottom line.

sleepyjeff
06-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Costs are pretty much fixed for that day before the park opens. So, every extra person who comes through the gate represents profit, regardless of whether or not they pay admission (assuming they buy anything while inside the park - I can't imagine how you could be there and buy nothing).

First: You are right. Disney knows what it's doing and I am sure from the standpoint of the corporation and for short term profits they are charging exactly what they should be charging for the ap....however.

Costs are not fixed. Bathrooms need to be cleaned more often when crowds are thick. Everything needs to be painted more often when it is exposed to thick crowds of people. More employees will be required to operate rides, sell popcorn, restock shelves, etc, etc etc.

Every extra person who comes thru the gate may represent a profit but would you rather have a park half full of tourist who only visit once in a while so that when they visit they will be spending big time or a park full of locals who, although they spend, may spend far less then a tourist?

"So", one may say "we have less tourist and more locals, what's the big deal".
No big deal really. But if you ever wonder why Disneyland hasn't had a new E-ticket attraction built in 10 years and since that attraction opened several smaller ones have been shuttered and if you ever wonder why many of the cool resturants that used to dot the park are no more..........hold up that ap and check a mirror for the answer ;)

Doodle Duck
06-10-2005, 07:55 AM
I have an AP. So what. Busy bodies, Leave me alone! Leave everybody else alone and mind your own business... we all do what we do and they sell what they sell and it is what it is...if the solutions involve changes to OTHER peoples way of doing things so it convieniences you..POOP on you. Figure out how to manuver through the world that is without wishing others accomodate to your ways...you will pry my AP from my cold dead fingers. Disneyland is crowded in the 21st century...DUH. If you think us APers need to adapt to your way of thinking to make it easier for you then I hope I'm in line in front of you...and oh...by the way...your carcass will be in line in front of somebody else...how un PC of you....

balderdash.

TikiGeek
06-10-2005, 08:01 AM
I have an AP. So what. Busy bodies, Leave me alone! Leave everybody else alone and mind your own business... we all do what we do and they sell what they sell and it is what it is...if the solutions involve changes to OTHER peoples way of doing things so it convieniences you..POOP on you. I'll second that! ;)

sleepyjeff
06-10-2005, 08:05 AM
I have an AP. So what. If you think us APers need to adapt to your way of thinking to make it easier for you then I hope I'm in line in front of you...and oh...by the way...your carcass will be in line in front of somebody else...how un PC of you....

:|

Shortiemetoo
06-10-2005, 08:12 AM
Well...I am hoping that this year for the first time I can get an AP...why? Because this year I am hoping to make two trips to the park. Maybe even a very short 3rd trip.
If I bought flex passes for each trip I would end up spending way more $$$$, and it would be less that I could spend in the park!! ;)
Watch out Character Warehouse!! I want baby stuff...lol :D

JiminyCricket
06-10-2005, 08:13 AM
I realize that AP holders do degrade the tourist experience at DL. More people equals more wait for rides and food. But AP's not about improving the guest experience or giving a break to locals who visit often. IT IS ABOUT IMPROVING DISNEYLAND ATTENDANCE! Execs get bonuses based on things like attendance and revenue. More people in the park, means more food and merchandice bought. That gives the execs their bonus. So, don't look for AP's to be going away any time soon.

Doodle Duck
06-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Nothing personal...just aimed at anti-ap'ers in general who wish it all to go away for selfish reasons...well...

:| :| X 2

What can I say...it's a 'nerve'...when hit, it reacts. It's obvious that the mgmt is finally back to appreciating the AP holders again...for whatever reason...greed or otherwise...that's fine with me...thanks Matt.

Look at it this way...a Tourist body is a body just like an AP body is a body...when in line they both do the same thing...take up a space in line...what on earth makes the Tourist body any more special and deserving than the AP body? Or one should be put aside for the other? :confused:
I'm in line...you're in line...so what...gee...wait...I get it...I'll pay three times the amount...that way we can still be in line but but I'll pay because you (generic you) aren't a SoCal? SoCal Envy? hmmmm As Daffy said "It is to Laff".

And AP's 'degrade' the experience? What are we...chopped liver? Where's my tissues...

The Mouse Is Back
06-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Good grief. Looks like a whole lot of people don't read before they post.

I referred only to the SoCal APs, and the 2Fer (or SoCal Resident Salute) promotions.

Something all you upset folks are ignoring is the fact that Disney was perfectly fine with having a low season at the Parks until around 10-15 years ago. It was to their advantage to have shorter hours and fewer employees, an opportunity to have several attractions down for refurb. And there were plenty of traditionally off-season Park visitors, such as tourists from overseas and conventioneers.

This has NOTHING to do with there being more people in the 21st century. Zilch. Nada. But those comments about "well, the population has grown so much yada yada" did give me a good laugh. :p

I'd be willing to wager that there are plenty of families who've planned vacations for the off-season specifically because they were expecting smaller crowds and a more relaxed time - especially those with younger children or disabled family members - only to find that they were fighting crowds who were there because of attendance boosting gimmicks. And I'd wager they'll think twice before ever coming back.

-Allegra-