PDA

View Full Version : Trip report, June 8-10

Pages : [1] 2

TrekkieDad
06-09-2005, 04:02 PM
DW and I got here about yesterday. First thing I did was call Rhiannon and leave a message. She got back fairly quickly, and we arranged an impromptu meeting in front of Big Thunder Ranch. After some conversation, we decided to meet later at the fireworks, and DW and I went to lunch at Zocalo.

After eating (and watching them put trains away at Big Thunder), we went over to Buzz Lightyear and rode it for the first time. Then it was off to the Matterhorn. (I got to ride in the very front.) As we got off the parade had started, so we stopped to watch. Not the best sight lines, but we got the gist.

Parade over, we went back past BTRR, and finding a longish line, went over to Pirates, HM and Indy. Then we went over to DCA to ride GRR before closing. It had stopped, but we waited it out and eventually had a good soaking ride. Then it was over to our room at Hojo's to get in our room and get changed for the evening.

Dinner was at 7:15 at Mimi's. As we finished, Rhiannon called to tell us she and her family had secured us a spot for the fireworks--in the street just to the left of the castle where we could see all the effects. We got over there as soon as we could and enjoyed an amazing show with them.

Once the show was over, we parted ways and DW and I finally got our ride on BTRR. Our last ride of the day was Star Tours, with the park closing at 10. Pretty full day, especially getting up at 5:30 to drive down.

Today's report will follow. We are supposed to meet Colin at the corn dog wagon between 6 and 6:30, if he can make it on time.

Shortiemetoo
06-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Wow, sounds like an awesome time so far!!! Keep having fun and keep the great report coming!!! So glad you enjoyed the fireworks! :D

rentayenta
06-09-2005, 04:17 PM
How fun that you are getting to meet so many Padders. How do you like the HoJo?

TrekkieDad
06-09-2005, 04:40 PM
How fun that you are getting to meet so many Padders. How do you like the HoJo?
I'll do a separate report on Hojo's. Nice place, but DW doesn't like the walk, since she quickly developed blisters on her feet.

I wouldn't mind meeting a few more. If I don't get back into the park soon, I may miss some others!

BTW, I got in short bike ride this morning.

disney jones
06-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Today's report will follow. We are supposed to meet Colin at the corn dog wagon between 6 and 6:30, if he can make it on time.nothing like a good corn dog for breakfast to start the day - the breakfast of champions! :p

TrekkieDad
06-09-2005, 08:34 PM
nothing like a good corn dog for breakfast to start the day - the breakfast of champions! :p
uh, that was dinner, and my only real indulgence for this trip. I don't generally eat red meat--especially sausage (doctor's orders).

TrekkieDad
06-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Colin arrived later than planned, but we waited at the wagon through the entire parade. I'm not sure what happened, or if he got my text messages, but we gave up waiting after the parade and went over to ride Splash and consumed a churro before going back to Hojo's to watch the fireworks from our balcony. We could hear snippets of the music, and it helped to have seen them from the hub the night before.

Tomorrow's plan is to have breakfast at Mimi's, get to the rope drop, and head straight to Fantasyland and the Matterhorn before leaving at noon.

Disneygirl65
06-09-2005, 08:52 PM
tell us more about HoJo's!

TrekkieDad
06-09-2005, 09:10 PM
I got up early this morning to find the water had been shut off. A maintenance crew was working on the boiler in Building one, and it took them longer than expected. So I went out for a short bike ride (less than an hour), but I had to stop at the front desk to fill my water bottle.

Back at 8, the water working, and DW was nearly ready. All I had to do was shower and dress, and we were in the park at rope drop. We headed for Indy, but its opening was delayed, so we had breakfast at the River Belle. Then we went over to DCA and rode Soarin' and saw both TTBAB and Muppet Vision. Because of DW's blisters, our plan was to keep walking to a minimum and not dash from ride to ride. Back in DL we rode the train a full circuit, saw the 50th exhibit and movie, and then went to the Tiki Room and Jungle cruise in succession, followed by lunch at the French Market. Then we got FPs for Splash, rode Pooh, and went back to the train to ride to TL. There we split up. DW shopped a little while I rode the Monorail and briefly visited Innoventions. Getting off the Monorail we were told it was the pilot's last trip as a pilot. We all applauded, and she was visibly moved. I didn't get to see Asimo in Innoventions (poor timing on my part), so I headed back for a brief rest at Hojo's.

At 5:30 we headed back in for our meeting with Colin that didn't happen, but we did have corn dogs and watched the parade before redeeming our Splash FPs. Then it was back to Hojo's to watch the fireworks from our balcony.

Once we check out tomorrow, I'm not sure when I'll be online before going home. Perhaps my son will let me login at his place in Santa Barbara.

TrekkieDad
06-09-2005, 10:02 PM
tell us more about HoJo's!

We arrived about 12:30 to find our room was not ready, but the front desk insisted that we unload everything and store it, so as not to leave anything visible in the car. No bellmen, but luggage carts were available. Once I had it loaded, I was taken to the storage room. "Your room will be ready by 3, but don't make a special trip back just to unpack. Enjoy the park."

When we did get back around 6:30, no carts we available, but the lady at the desk carried the bulk of the stuff to our room while DW got the rest, and I got the bike. The room itself is spacious and spotless. I parked my bike well out of the way, near the balcony. We have an excellent view of the matterhorn, and we can sometimes hear music coming from the park.

We are on the sixth floor, and the elevators are quick. The atmosphere here is informal and friendly, not at all like a large hotel.

Not everything is perfect, though. There was no water for a couple of hours this morning while a boiler was being repaired, and the staff was very patient in handling the calls coming in. They had expected the work to be completed quickly before most would notice.

I don't consider the walk to the park to be all that bad, but DW is having trouble with blisters on her feet, and every extra step hurts. I haven't tried the pools, but I haven't overhear ANY complaints about anything--not even the lack of water this AM.

Checkout is noon, which is an hour later than most of the hotels around here.That will make it easier to enjoy some time in DL before loading up and leaving.

This is not a four-star ritzy hotel, nor does it try to be. Instead, it's clean, comfortable, well appointed where it counts, and friendly. The staff here is cheeful and willing to help. It seems to be an excellent value

We'll see how checkout goes in the morning, but I may be out of touch for a while.

rentayenta
06-10-2005, 04:40 AM
Back in DL we rode the train a full circuit, saw the 50th exhibit and movie, and then went to the Tiki Room and Jungle cruise in succession, followed by lunch at the French Market.

This, right here, is my idea of the perfect Disneyland afternoon!

Sorry about DW's blisters. That can make a short walk seem like forever.

Thanks for the HoJo's info.
Praying that CC doesn't read the part about the water.

Pat-n-Eil
06-10-2005, 06:16 AM

Yeah, we've finally learned to find shoes and start wearing them a couple of weeks before we go so we can break them in.. otherwise we risk blister city.

rentayenta
06-10-2005, 06:27 AM
Yeah, we've finally learned to find shoes and start wearing them a couple of weeks before we go so we can break them in.. otherwise we risk blister city.

I cannot wear tennis shoes to Disneyland. I wear my Reef flip flops only and my feet never hurt.

Disneygirl65
06-10-2005, 07:36 AM
I cannot wear tennis shoes to Disneyland. I wear my Reef flip flops only and my feet never hurt.

Me Too!!! Tried the tennis shoes once, had to go back to my room and get my reefs!

Shortiemetoo
06-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Never heard of Reef flip flops, I will check them out on the web!!! Thanks for the HoJo report Trekkie Dad...I have resies there in Dec.
I can't wait to see the Tiki Room again!! It was CLOSED on my last 2 trips!!! :D

shawnarae
06-10-2005, 09:42 AM
How was the crowds? And of which day you were there was the least crowded? Thanks!

I am debating a midweek trip from Las Vegas, but debating which 3 days I should go over. Mon-Weds, or Weds-Fri. And in June or July. Reading everyone's trip reports & crowds opinions help me to get a better idea.

TrekkieDad
06-11-2005, 06:33 AM
How was the crowds? And of which day you were there was the least crowded? Thanks!

I am debating a midweek trip from Las Vegas, but debating which 3 days I should go over. Mon-Weds, or Weds-Fri. And in June or July. Reading everyone's trip reports & crowds opinions help me to get a better idea.
Less crowded than the weekend of Feb when we last went. I didn't see a posted wait time more than 45 minutes, and the actual waits were much shorter--except GRR, which was stopped for a time.

Rhiannon told us that Wednesday (the day we arrived) was the least crowded of the days they were there up to that point. Midweek is definitely the way to go.

TrekkieDad
06-11-2005, 06:50 AM
It turns out Colin didn't receive any of my TXT messages, so he didn't know we were waiting for him. That night we chatted on AIM and arranged to meet at the flagpole as soon as we got in the park. That worked. Colin and his brother Jonathan arrived shortly after we did.

As soon as the rope dropped, we headed straight for the Matterhorn and rode both sides in succession. Then I suggested the teacups; Colin looked less than enthusiastic, but the four of us squeezed ourselves into a single blue cup. When the recorded spiel came on, Colin said, "That girl sounds more British than me! She talks like the queen!" He then went on to mimic the recording.

Jonathan and I kept the cup spinning, and Colin--well, let's just say he wasn't helping. (I think his brother was enjoying Colin's dilemma a little too much.) But the ride was over soon enough, and we took pictures of each other and chatted a little more. Though it was only 9:30, the brothers had to report for their first tour at 10, so we parted company.

DW and I went on to ride Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Snow White, and Pinocchio in succession. Then it was one last time on Big Thunder (back seat--goat trick :~D ), and I bought a shirt and a gift for my graduating son. DW got some popcorn, I took a couple of shots of the castle, and we went back to Hojo's to pack and check out. We were out of the parking lot just after 12.

Crazy4DL
06-11-2005, 06:51 AM
Enjoyed reading your trip report! thanks :)

SCUBAbe
06-11-2005, 07:00 AM
T

it's not that short of a walk....

TrekkieDad
06-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Here are a few pictures (http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=x2uiiyq.br0pioii&x=0&h=1&y=7kopy8) of us and fellow padders during this trip.

pirateabbie
06-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Here are a few pictures (http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=x2uiiyq.br0pioii&x=0&h=1&y=7kopy8) of us and fellow padders during this trip.

You look great in that hat, TrekkieDad! Thanks for the great pictures!

Earkid
06-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Here are a few pictures (http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=x2uiiyq.br0pioii&x=0&h=1&y=7kopy8) of us and fellow padders during this trip.How is it that TrekkieMom and you look younger than when we met in February? Whatever you're doin keep doin it!!

Enjoy Spain :D

TrekkieDad
06-17-2005, 10:12 PM
How is it that TrekkieMom and you look younger than when we met in February? Whatever you're doin keep doin it!!

Enjoy Spain :D
Are sure your looking at the right picture? We're the couple without the kid. ;)

Thanks for saying so. Maybe it's because we are truly on vacation, or perhaps we've shed our "winter coats" as one of my colleagues at school calls it.

If you had delayed your little trip by just one week, we could have met again. Some other time, I guess. Our next planned trip to DL is Veteran's Day.

Gotta go finish packing.

Earkid
06-18-2005, 11:12 AM
If you had delayed your little trip by just one week, we could have met again. Some other time, I guess. I was disappointed we couldn't arrange our trip for a week later. We were lucky we were be able to go at all before September. I had a quick two day break after my midterm so we took it!! We either went those two days or wait until Sept.

Post a trip report (with pics) when you get back from Spain. :cool: