PDA

View Full Version : Help and Hints for a First timer?

1stTimer
06-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Hi all. My name is Nicole and I will be going to DLR from Oct 17th to 21st to celebrate my son, Sebastian's first birthday. I have never been to any Disney theme park before, so I am kinda lost.

Here's what I have so far...

Reservations at Ho-Jo's, Disney view.
Will make reservations for Character Breakfast...Lilo and Stitch?
3-day Park Hopper, possibly 4 day....

What advice and other hints can you give me? I know my son is young for his first trip, but I really want to give him everything I didn't have as a child and this seems like an awesome first birthday.

Thanks a lot,

Nicole

Lekta
06-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Your right, that will be a GREAT first Birthday!!

My advice, hit Fantasy Land as early as possible, as it is the only land without any fastpasses for the most part and it gets crowded quickly.

But, most of all have fun!!!

kohl
06-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Don't forget to get a Birthday sticker for him at City Hall. Make sure you visit
the Tortilla Factory in California Adventure with his sticker on. They usually give you a stack of tortillias on your B-Day!

Mukta
06-09-2005, 03:48 PM
You are such a sweet Mom to think of this. If he is not scared of them, try to take some pictures with the classic characters like Mickey. Those pictures will be really precious when he is older.

He should enjoy some of the rides in a Bug's Land in DCA. I would avoid "It's Tough to be a Bug" because that can be really frightening for small children.

LLevy
06-09-2005, 03:53 PM
You might want to go and check out the "parenting in the park" section of this site. alot of good advice on working around, and with, kids.

Please! keep his age in mind. at that age, my nephew spent more time watching the ducks, and the birds and palying with a trash can...

to a 1 year old - everything in the world- not just disneyland- is magic and new and exciting. Share that sense of wonder of the whole world with him, and don't be disappointed if he isn't interested in charaters, or parades or fireworks. let him rest, let him eat, and don't try to force a reaction from him.. he's young and easily distracted.

L

1stTimer
06-09-2005, 03:57 PM
LLevy....I live in San Jose too. Thanks for the advice. I know he is young and will probably not be "into" a lot of it. The idea came about because he LOVES Pooh. He says two words right now clearly, Mom and Pooh. I think he might enjoy that part of the park.

LLevy
06-09-2005, 04:09 PM
LLevy....I live in San Jose too. Thanks for the advice. I know he is young and will probably not be "into" a lot of it. The idea came about because he LOVES Pooh. He says two words right now clearly, Mom and Pooh. I think he might enjoy that part of the park.

I'm sure he will. You may discover that you are spending your whole day back in critter country, riding the pooh ride, and visiting with the various pooh characters. if that's what he wants to do, enjoy it!. that's a lovely corner of the park. the shoreline downstairs in the hungry bear burger place is a great place for feeding the ducks and other birds.

Make sure you have food he's used to, and a stroller he can sleep in. Do you have another grownup going with you to help with the logisitics?

If you want general advice about your first trip to the park, I'd love to help you out. It has been over a year since I've been there, but I'll be there for my honeymoon the first week in august. I've gone on several trips with small children, and other trips with just adults. I remember that my first memory of the park when I was about 2 was being terrified by the Dumbo ride. I did *NOT* want to go up high! funny what we remember and what we don't at that age.

L

Shortiemetoo
06-09-2005, 04:16 PM
What a wonderful idea!! My daughter was 18 months old her first trip and she still remembers things from that trip!!
One thing...my niece took her son when he was 10 months old and she said the baby station on main street was a lifesaver!!! They have filtered water if he still drinks bottles and you mix up the formula and a place without distractions where you can feed him!!!
Have a great time and take LOTS of pictures!!!

1stTimer
06-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Great to know about the filtered water and quiet feeding place!