PDA

View Full Version : POTC Perhaps NOT Being Refurbished This Fall?

Monte Cristo
06-09-2005, 01:26 PM
I was perusing www.riderefurbs.com, normally a very credible site, and came across the following note:

Note from the web-master: There is a rumor circulating that Pirates of the Caribbean will be closing this Fall for refurbishment. This has been investigated and as far as sources can tell, is not happening. If information changes, it will be posted here. Please check back regularly.

So...anyone else know anything about this? Any CM's out there can confirm/deny?

Perhaps they've scuttled plans for the refurb since the 50th is going on?

pirateabbie
06-09-2005, 01:34 PM
I was perusing www.riderefurbs.com, normally a very credible site, and came across the following note:

So...anyone else know anything about this? Any CM's out there can confirm/deny?

Perhaps they've scuttled plans for the refurb since the 50th is going on?

Wow! This is so great!! You just made my day. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it's all true!!

Monte Cristo
06-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Wow! This is so great!! You just made my day. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it's all true!!

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. This is the first I've read anywhere that the refurb isn't happening. Virtually every other site speaks about it as though it's a done deal.

However, yeah...it would be awesome if it's true. Our holiday trip is scheduled to start the first day POTC opens again, but I'm nervous that they won't make their schedule. It will be the first time in the park for my niece and nephew (10) and it would break my heart if they couldn't ride it.

Wendi
06-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Interesting... I hope it's not down while we're there, it is my favorite ride. But I'll have a fabulous time either way, so I won't change my plans either way.

hlbtimes2
06-09-2005, 01:41 PM
I read that yesterday. I'm really hoping that its true. I would love to be able to ride POTC in Oct. while we are there.

ralika
06-09-2005, 01:49 PM
That Would Be Awesome

tinkluver
06-09-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm hoping, hoping, hoping it is true!!! That would be VERY cool! I'm going in Oct. also and love that ride and don't want to miss it! :D

DangerMouse
06-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed. A trip to DLR just isn't complete without a ride on POTC!

The old man
06-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Never thought it was.
David

Shortiemetoo
06-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Fingers crossed here!!!!

lauramaynot
06-09-2005, 08:36 PM
I too hate when they close for rehab - but has anyone else noticed the terrible condition of the ceiling at the end of the ride above the parrot and pirates sign on the beach. It seems like it has been like that forever and since you usually sit there for a bit before the boats are unloaded it would be nice to see the white stuff and peeling paint cleaned up but I'm not suggesting a complete rehab to fix it.

Disnerd
06-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Can anyone say Holiday overlay?

MrsPooh
06-09-2005, 09:01 PM
It seemed like a stupid time to refurb that ride in the middle of the 50th. It is such a hugely popular ride, one of the best, and I can't imagine that they would pick now to do it.

But then again, nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to the Disney Company! :rolleyes:

Disney Vault
06-09-2005, 09:29 PM
I was probably be then when it is closed too if it goes down for a refurb at that time. But I kind of want it to get the refurb to see what changed there are. The HM and JC were updated in such great ways and PotC needs it too.

Disneyfreak
06-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I hope it gets a refurb, it needs it very badly.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-09-2005, 11:56 PM
After watching, again, in the video from our trip last November, of how much BOTH my kids love this ride, we are seriously considering changing our trip plans if it is for sure going to be closed. My oldest would be devistated if his favorite ride is closed. And while I love the time of year we are going, this ride being closed weighs heavily on our decision to postpone or move up, the trip.

Alex S.
06-12-2005, 02:01 PM
I've tried to repeatedly state that our listing of this on the refurbishment schedule is not 100% certain, just what we've been led to believe from various sources.

That said, I'll strengthen this ambiguity in tomorrow's edition of the Park Update.

bradk
06-12-2005, 02:38 PM
just to reiterate the talked about changes for Pirates.

reportedly, the sound system is being replaced with a new digital / stereo system.

there were rumors of other major changes, but others have reported those changes are being placed on the back burner.

of course nothing is official until disney makes it official, but if i were basing my trip completely around being able to ride POTC, I'd go ahead and assume it were true just to be safe.

as for the validity of taking rides down voluntarily during the 50th, remember that both HM and IASW will be down for at least 3 months total for holiday overlays, so it's not within the realm of possibility that they will continue making other changes to various attractions. It's always a real threat that some attractions will be unavailable, especially during off-peak season. If you want to ride everything, peak is your best chance.

Monte Cristo
06-12-2005, 08:47 PM
just to reiterate the talked about changes for Pirates.

reportedly, the sound system is being replaced with a new digital / stereo system.

there were rumors of other major changes, but others have reported those changes are being placed on the back burner.

of course nothing is official until disney makes it official, but if i were basing my trip completely around being able to ride POTC, I'd go ahead and assume it were true just to be safe.

as for the validity of taking rides down voluntarily during the 50th, remember that both HM and IASW will be down for at least 3 months total for holiday overlays, so it's not within the realm of possibility that they will continue making other changes to various attractions. It's always a real threat that some attractions will be unavailable, especially during off-peak season. If you want to ride everything, peak is your best chance.

I think the best point to keep in mind is simply this: there are NO guarantees as to what will or won't be running during any given trip to DL. Obviously an official refurb schedule tells us what absolutely won't be running, but to base your trip around one specific attraction seems like a recipe for a let down.

It's Disneyland. Anything can and will go down at a moment's notice (unfortunately). This is something I've been keeping in mind ever since I booked this year's holiday trip for my family. For the first time, my 10 year old niece and nephew will be joining us from back east, so obviously I would love for everything to be up and running for them. Especially an iconic ride like Pirates. However, I'm not going to get bogged down in details. The first time I ever went to DL, Space Mountain was closed, Toad was closed, and Pirates went down for a day. It didn't take away my enjoyment of the park one iota (can't miss what you haven't experienced yet). If nothing else, it gave me a great excuse to visit the park again within a couple of months. :D

uvsc_wolverine
06-12-2005, 11:00 PM
POTC is one of my absolute favorite rides and I will be disappointed if it's closed when I go in October, but so far everything else will be open. Which is a far cry from my trip last year! The same time last year Space was closed, Matterhorn was closed, IASW was closed, and I think there were two other rides closed but I can't remember what - and I still had a good time. Although I have joked with my buddies about breaking into Pirates if it's closed when we get there. One of my friends has NEVER been to DL before - he's 24 and his first time on a roller coaster was last summer at Great America! He just hasn't had the opportunity to do much with theme/amusement parks and I'm hoping to make his first visit to DL a good one - with or without Pirates!