PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion holiday overlay

Pages : [1] 2

RedwoodMaiTai
06-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Does anyone have any details about what this is? We will be visiting DL for four days during the Halloween weekend and I have heard that the transformation of the Haunted Mansion is really something else.

Disneynerd
06-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Does anyone have any details about what this is? We will be visiting DL for four days during the Halloween weekend and I have heard that the transformation of the Haunted Mansion is really something else.ooooh, get ready for a bucket full of responses from those who have seen the overlay. I haven't seen it either but I hear it's awesome! Have a great time!!!!

Disneyland4Jamy
06-09-2005, 10:21 AM
The Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay is superb! It hardly feels like the same ride since it's so well-themed to The Nightmare Before Christmas. You spot different touches each time you ride! Even the exterior of the mansion is decorated. I'm smiling just thinking it! :D

PragmaticIdealist
06-09-2005, 10:42 AM
I am a purist, and I can tell you that I experienced it for the first time while remaining fairly skeptical. However, the holiday version is really well done. It preserves the spirit of the original Attraction while adding the great subversiveness of "The Nightmare before Christmas".

One of the other reasons the holiday version of the Attraction works so well is because Tim Burton, the director of the film, and Rolly Crump, an art director for the Attraction, had such similar styles. When Tim Burton was a Disney animator, I believe Rolly Crump may have been one of the future film director's big influences.

In many ways, Imagineering used the overdressing to realize much of Rolly Crump's original vision for a museum of the weird, and those oddities make for a very theatrical experience that feels appropriate for The Haunted Mansion.

disneygurl92
06-09-2005, 11:27 AM
You will really enjoy the holiday decorations. The music for the ride is cool too. if u listen carefully you can hear kids laughing in the background. very creepy for a disney ride. lol.

sdfilmcritic
06-09-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm not too big on the whole overlay idea. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of the Nightmare Before Christmas film. Just imagine the HM ride decorated with a theme from the NBC film. Jack Skellington and his friends make their appearances through the ride during the Christmas season. I would much rather prefer the original ride with some Christmas decorations here and there, but not a ride overhaul to recreate the film.

Crazy4Mickey
06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Kind of a side note maybe, but does anyone know when they usually take the HM down to do the refurb? I will be there Oct. 1-5 and didn't know which version would be up or if it would be open at all.

CrazyTrain
06-09-2005, 01:07 PM
HMH is my most favorite ride. It's the only one i've ever gotten off sayig, "Let's do that again!" :D

ralika
06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
I Loved The Holiday Verision

disneyperson
06-09-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm a fan of both the HM and the HMH. If you like The Nightmare Before CHristmas, you will love the overlay and want to ride it many times to see all the details. One of the things I like most about it is that it is sleightly different every year. I love it! Even the narration and music rocks!

Wendi
06-09-2005, 01:42 PM
If you like the movie, you'll love the overlay.

tinkluver
06-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Kind of a side note maybe, but does anyone know when they usually take the HM down to do the refurb? I will be there Oct. 1-5 and didn't know which version would be up or if it would be open at all.
It says here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr050606.htm) that Haunted Mansion is closed September 6–29 to install Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay; and closed Jan. 9–25, 2006 to remove overlay
:)

Crazy4Mickey
06-09-2005, 02:08 PM
It says here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr050606.htm) that Haunted Mansion is closed September 6–29 to install Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay; and closed Jan. 9–25, 2006 to remove overlay
:)

Thanks. It looks like the Holiday version for me. :)

I Heart Disneyland!
06-09-2005, 02:45 PM
I really enjoyed it, but, being that I don't visit DL nearly as much as I'd like, I found myself missing the original HM. When we went last month it was so nice to see the original again. The last 2 times we were there was during NBC HM. It IS cool though, I have to admit.

tinkluver
06-09-2005, 03:01 PM
I really enjoyed it, but, being that I don't visit DL nearly as much as I'd like, I found myself missing the original HM. When we went last month it was so nice to see the original again. The last 2 times we were there was during NBC HM. It IS cool though, I have to admit.
I agree- I've been going to DL the last few years during the holiday season. I just went last March and it was nice seeing the original HM. I really like them both. :)

CoasterChickie
06-09-2005, 03:07 PM
I like them both, but I like the overlay better. It is very colorful and musical all throughout the ride. And all the decorations outside the mansion really get you in the mood for fall and Halloween!!

ralika
06-09-2005, 03:09 PM
I Like Them Both But The Holiday One I Think Is Better I Like All The Blacklight Colors It Is So Festive

Shortiemetoo
06-09-2005, 04:23 PM
My daughter saw the HMH last year. When we went in late Jan. she said she was disappointed in the regular HM...said it will never be the same for her again. She is a nightmare fan.
I haven't seen it as yet but am considering going this year so that I can. Is it true this may be the last year for it?

Monte Cristo
06-09-2005, 04:44 PM
My daughter saw the HMH last year. When we went in late Jan. she said she was disappointed in the regular HM...said it will never be the same for her again. She is a nightmare fan.
I haven't seen it as yet but am considering going this year so that I can. Is it true this may be the last year for it?

Funny that should happen to your daughter. My first trip to Disneyland was in November of 2003. I loved HMH. Must have rode it about 18 times during the course of 3 days.

My fiancee and I went back a couple of months later so I could get a taste of the park during the "off-season". HM just wasn't the same for me. I almost found it...(forgive me) boring. I know...I know...I wasn't raised with HM. One of my friends said it's kinda like watching "The Road Warrior" before seeing "Mad Max".

disneymania
07-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Are you sure its up this year. I read on the Disney Gallery website that it will not be going up do to the 50th. Has this changed?

funatdisney
07-30-2005, 07:47 PM
I think the Disney Gallery website was referring to the "special event" they usually have before the official opening of the HMH. The event is much like the 50th event this year, where people paid for different packages.

iheartflounder
07-30-2005, 07:58 PM
What is the general opinion about the HMH overlay if you have not seen the movie? Is it worth watching before we go since we will be there in October? Do you pretty much not "get it" if you haven't see the movie? Thoughts?

Thanks!

GrumpyUTboi
07-30-2005, 08:31 PM
You will love DL at Halloween time, I may take my DD to DL just for Halloween and for her b-day which is the day before Halloween. The villians are out for the kids on Halloween, and if you get a chance to got to DL the day after Halloween you will see how quickly they put up the Christmas decorations along with the Christmas tree.

Leli
07-30-2005, 10:15 PM
I love it. I'm a fan of both, but I've gotten used to waiting for the overlay. I love how Oogie Boogie is in every room and how a new Christmas present opens up every so often; every week for twelve weeks I think, but I'm probably mistaken. Either way it just adds to the Christmas festivities of the park that I love so miuch.

coronado_g
07-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Does anyone have any details about what this is? We will be visiting DL for four days during the Halloween weekend and I have heard that the transformation of the Haunted Mansion is really something else.
I downloaded the Holiday Haunted Mansion ride video from Visions Fantastic and was amazed at how wonderfully exciting this mansion version is. I've never actually gone there during the special season but after seeing the video, I'll definitely be seeing it for real.