PDA

View Full Version : DL @ Christmas time

GrumpyUTboi
06-09-2005, 06:52 AM
I was wondering if the CM's get a little cranky on Christmas day due to having to work. Has anyone gone to DL for Christmas, and if so how was the demeanor of the CM's? We were thinking of going to DL for Christmas and DD b-day.

Larilyn
06-09-2005, 08:02 AM
I can't say for DL CM's, but I used to work at a theme park just south of Disneyland, and I worked on Christmas Day (and most other holiday's) for a couple of years, and it didn't bother me too much. The worst part was having the morning shift, and missing out on Christmas morning with the family, but it was kind of fun to see everyone else experience the fun of a theme park on Christmas day, with all the special events going on.

I would think that it would be the same or even moreso at DL.

Disneyland4Jamy
06-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Personally, I love Disneyland at Christmas and encourage you to go. If you are able to go during the week toward the beginning of December, the crowds are not bad. I have never experienced cranky CM's due to the holidays. Plus, there's no summer heat to make people cranky!

mad4mky
06-09-2005, 08:16 AM
I was wondering if the CM's get a little cranky on Christmas day due to having to work. Has anyone gone to DL for Christmas, and if so how was the demeanor of the CM's? We were thinking of going to DL for Christmas and DD b-day.

I was there on Christmas Day this past Christmas (2004). The CMs were VERY kind. We ate our Christmas dinner at The Blue Bayou, and couldn't have had any nicer staff than what was there.
Even at the stores, the hotels, and turnstiles, the CM's were very kind.

Beware though. The crowds are awful on Christmas Day and the day after... :( So, if you go then...be prepared for long waits everywhere, and lots of people. Keep a smile on your face...that's what we did. :)

GrumpyUTboi
06-09-2005, 08:05 PM
For some reason I thought that DL on Christmas day would be a little bit slower, but I guess we will put up with the crowds. Last year we were at DL on Nov 1 and saw a lot of decorations like the tree that was just put up and a CM told us that we should come back more towards Christmas because the whole park is done up. So here is to the long lines. :D

Disneyfun
06-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I once work dl on Christmas day. I had a great time. But I actaully had volunteered because My family does the big celebrations on Christmas eve and then we get up bt early on Christmas morning open our gift and since I was no longer a kid with no topys to play with I actually found Christmas day wiote boring. Not place to go really that was open, and we just sat around the house So I liked working that day.
I know it does not answer your question. But At least you can look at it in another way that some may acutally want to be there. Some may not een celebrate christmas so It is just another day for them too.

DisneyDustin22
06-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I was there this past Christmas Eve, probably one of the best times I ever had at Disneyland. Crowds weren't that bad and it seemed like everyone in the park was having the best day, guests, CM's, everyone. No matter where you went, people were wishing other people a Merry Christmas. The overall mood of the park was nice.

ChurroLad
06-10-2005, 01:52 AM

For the most part the cms can stay polite and friendly, although please understand that there are breaking points. I personally lost my cool on New Years Eve. Was in hour 12 of a 14 hour shift, and i was trying to clean up my lemonade wagon (on main street). Some lady comes screaming up to me about why she couldnt refill her coffee. Now mind you, it was 3 am, i was by myslef on main street with coffee and hot chocolate and an endless line for 12 hours, and i had to be back the next day at 9 am.

I asked her where she read that we gave free refills or if she just assumed we gave them (all in a very stereotypical cheesy preppy voice). She turned red and demanded my name. I told her, my personel number, and directed her to city hall. Oddly enough, never got a complaint :p

For the most part, if your polite, all cms will be polite, regardless of the time of year. I mean i dont think regular guests know how relaxing it is to have a decent conversation with someone polite. 99% of the time im on a cart the conversation will go:

Me: "Hey how ya doing--"
Guest: "4"
Me: "Im sorry?"
Guest: annoyed "4 churros"
Me: "Oh ok thatll be 11 dollars"
Me: (While rolling) "So where you guys from?"
Guest: (With a wierd look) some location
Me: "Oh you like it there? How was the drive/flight"
Guest: "Fine"
Guest pulls out the cell phone or starts talking to someone else.
Me: "Ok 11 dollars please"
Me: Handing back the change "Here you go have a nice--"
Guest long gone.

But thats just me, if one person out of 100 actually says "Hi" "Please" and "Thank you" it makes me feel better.

Oh and for me, I really really find it rude when Im helping someone and a person just randomly asks me a question and interrupts. Especially if the question involves simple common sense.

In one case I was selling ice cream in NOS. I was having a nice conversation with a guest about Austrailia (that persons home region), when some lady comes from my right and bluntly asks "Do you sell churros here?" I kinda stood there for a second stunned that the giant "ICE CREAM" words or the menu of ice cream indicated that i would have churros. "No ma'am im sorry i only have ice-" "Well where DO you sell them?" Pointing to the churro cart maybe 5 feet behind her... "Right behind you ma'am" "I have to wait in THAT line??" "Yes this is a busy area.. you can try main street or fantasy-" "Screw that this is rediculous.. i cant believe i paid 50 dollars for this..." starts walking away still complaining. The aussie turns to me and hands me a 10. "Here, I cant believe you have to deal with those kinds of people all day".

But enough of that madness... if you guys do come on xmas, expect a lot of people. Last year we reached capacity almost daily xmas week. Other than that, I love going to the park during the holidays. The decorations are beeeeautiful.

rentayenta
06-10-2005, 04:34 AM
The CMs were awesome last Christmas! Truly! I think that you get what you give; at least it seems to be the case in my Disneyland experiences. :)

Christmas Day was packed but up until that day is was perfect!

disneyhound
06-10-2005, 06:39 AM
How long after the 25th does the park keep the Christmas theme going?

kohl
06-10-2005, 08:40 AM
I know NYE is crowded, but how is it right after X-Mas up till NYE?

rentayenta
06-10-2005, 08:58 AM
I know NYE is crowded, but how is it right after X-Mas up till NYE?

It's considered peak season and one of the busiest weeks of the year.