PDA

View Full Version : So, what do you think about the Christmas Parade moving to DCA?

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
06-08-2005, 10:03 PM
In AL Lutz latest article, he mentions the fact that the Christmas Parade could be moving to DCA...

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/a060705a.htm (http://www.miceage.com/allutz/a060705a.htm)

Although DCA's attendance continues to come in 15% to 20% below original projections on weekends...

We'd mentioned in an earlier update that they were looking at moving some of the show times or performance tactics around in an effort to alleviate the gridlock and overcrowding in the Central Plaza for the fireworks, and the first change is coming this weekend. Beginning June 11th the Electrical Parade will now begin its trek through DCA from the Paradise Pier gate at 8:45 pm, and it will end at its old starting point in the Sunshine Plaza just a few minutes before the fireworks go off at 9:25 pm. This will hopefully prevent the mass exodus from DCA around 9 pm as people try to run over to Disneyland to see the fireworks. With this new parade direction it's hoped at least a few thousand people will be prevented from entering Disneyland until after the fireworks are over.

So what do you think?

HorizonsA
06-08-2005, 10:10 PM
It doesn't really matter to me. Though I know a lot of people are going to be outraged and disappointed.

Darkbeer
06-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Alas, no comment about the Chirstmas Parade moving from DL to DCA is remaining from the original post, and that is the question asked...

To Paraphrase...

The plan is to place the Electrical Parade in refurb during November and December, and offer the Christmas Parade in its place (while still offereing the Block Party Bash during the day)...

What do you think?

Disney Vault
06-08-2005, 10:22 PM
I think this is perfect. DL should keep the 50th parade during the 18 month celebration and this is a good way of including a holiday tradition at the resort.

biolabetty
06-08-2005, 10:49 PM
I realize the Christmas Parade is a type of Disneyland tradition, but when I saw it last year I was very surprised to see how it was so poorly done. The music got so predictable and irritating since it was used over and over and over with the stops between each playing of the same thing again. I know some of the arrangers that Disney has used for some of their CDs and for WDW shows, and I feel they could have come up with some stronger musical arrangements that would have had a continuous flow for the Christmas Parade. The new parade is so much more enjoyable to me, I won't mind if they move the Christmas one to DCA.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-08-2005, 11:05 PM
I hope they offer the EP until the Christmas parade starts. We go the first week in November each year and I will be really disappointed if the EP is not running. I don't care where IT is, I just want to see it.
I won't be there for the Christmas parade but I think if I was, I would rather be at DL.

Tutter
06-09-2005, 01:20 AM
I don't mind at all really to be honest. The only thing I hope is that the snow on Main Street USA stays after the fireworks, as it is so pretty and I love watching everyone looking up at it - 5 minutes of magic.

sdfilmcritic
06-09-2005, 01:24 AM
If they move it to DCA I wouldn't have any complaints. If they moved it to WDW and not have it performed at DLR ever again I would complain.

yeartolate
06-09-2005, 04:48 AM
I may be in the distinct minority, but I think it would be great. The congestion on main street is awful. A parade taking a wider less congested path seems like a breath of fresh air - literally.

The fantasmic/parade/fireworks combo wells up a perfect storm IMHO.

TikiGeek
06-09-2005, 06:57 AM
No sir, I don't like it! The Christmas Parade is a Disneyland tradition - I don't think it fits in at DCA. The MSEP was already gone at DL - I'm glad they brought it back even if it was at DCA. Yes, the congestion is bad at DL around Christmas and I'm glad they are addressing that issue but I have to wonder if this is aimed at that or are just trying to raise attendance at DCA?

CoasterChickie
06-09-2005, 06:59 AM
I think the Christmas Parade belongs at DL. It is a tradition and the DL is the more traditional park.

olegc
06-09-2005, 07:21 AM
It will be quite odd to see the parade go down Sunshine Plaza in it's current state. My guess is that during the holidays the majority of folks will have park hoppers (one day or not) so to see the parade is easy. However, as many have pointed out, many guests are not smart enough to ask detailed questions and figure out things have changed from their last visit. Can you imagine the kids crying who don't see the parade and the parents don't know? Even when many signs or ads would be posted - the numbers of folks who are not aware of changes are fascinating.

And what about the usual Santa in Sunshine plaza in his hawaiian shirt and yet the santa in the parade in full red suit, on a housetop covered in snow? It's just weird. Most won't care - but it is still weird.

What I hope they REALLY don't do is move other elements to DCA - the large tree, the carolers, Santa in town square.... if they started doing that sort of stuff to get folks to DCA - and used the excuse of the 50th - I would have a real problem and instantly would lose respect for those who currently run the resort. I guess I am OK with the parade move but it just doesn't really fit in my mind over there having gone for so many years in a row to Disneyland durnig the holidays.

Question - is it getting to be that many things get transfered to DCA that in fact the resort is advertised as "one park" and that DCA is just another "land"? That was argued a year after DCA opened and now it seems more prevalent than ever. It probably belongs on another thread.

JiminyCricket
06-09-2005, 10:46 AM
It will be quite odd to see the parade go down Sunshine Plaza in it's current state....

I have to agree. Having a Christmas parade go through Fantasyland and then down Main Street seems to fit with the Christmas theme. It is a combination of antiques and fairies that seem to compliment the holiday theme. Surfboards and sun rays do not fit.

pisces
06-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Oh, I see, starting up a Christmas thread, eh? You're asking for trouble. Just kidding.

I'm not wild about the parade moving to DCA, because I feel that parade needs the warmth and charm of the Original Park, main street, the castle, the incredible backdrop of Small World..........to help with the atmosphere.

In about the wonderful 4 performances of Christmas Fantasy, that I had the privilege of viewing..... (Never forget what fun)..... my own particular spot was right at Small World. I'd get there hours early to stake out my place, and it was wonderful having the all-lit-up Small World, with the beautiful Small World music to listen to while waiting. Waiting was a pleasure.

They aren't going to have that kind of charming atmosphere at DCA.

Something will be lost in the sterile and antiseptic environment that is DCA.

However, something is better than nothing. And, rather than have no parade at all, then DCA it is.

I really believe, with proper scheduling, though, the Resort can do everything at the main Park. I don't believe anything is impossible. Impossible is not a word I associate with Disneyland, especially at Christmas.

Also, this had better not cancel the EP. DCA can easily handle both the Christmas Fantasy and EP. There will be more hours of darkness, thus a longer window of time to engage in the EP. They cancel the EP, and they are going to have one disappointed customer on their hands.

I vote for everything: EP, Christmas Fantasy, Believe, Dreams, Snow etc. For the kind of money the Resort is charging, they might as well give the customer everything they've got, especially around that time of year.

It can be done. I don't believe any of the nonsense that they "can't" do this or that. It's Disney. They make miracles. And all events should take place just like always. If anything Christmas should bring even more special events, not cancelling things.

It's not the way to go....cancelling stuff. DCA, in particular, needs more special events, not less.

TikiGeek
06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
They are going to have to change the lyrics to the song/music :eek: The refrain lyrics are "Everyday at Disneyland it's a Christmas fan-ta-sy".

Oh wait! I can see it now - this is the perfect time to get away from the whole "Christmas" thing. The new lyrics might be:
"Everyday at Disney's California Adventure it's a Merry Hol-i-day" :D

Disney Vault
06-09-2005, 01:36 PM
So for the people who don't want it in DCA- Would you rather have it in DL and replace the 50th parade for that time? I think they 50th is just more important this year. And if the christmas parade was going to be at DCA for now on then I would be upset. But I think the parade of dreams is just more important to keep around.

olegc
06-09-2005, 01:45 PM
well, wait a minute - why could they not have both parades in the same day? Instead of running the parade of dreams twice - why not do it once and CF once? it's been done before in the past (although I will say that one of the parades in the past was smaller than the other).

Again - I don't mind it at DCA - but they might not be able to just bring it over lock, stock, and barrell.

I can remember one of the old floats from 10 years ago - Mary Poppins, Burt, and the sweeps around the rooftops. Man - that would look REALLY weird at DCA - but I digress.

PragmaticIdealist
06-09-2005, 01:47 PM
I think the decision to move "A Christmas Fantasy" may be more the result of trying to find a way to market D.C.A. at the end of the year.

I'm not sure if it is possible on such short notice, but I would recommend Disney "import" the Christmas version of the electrical parade. Doing so would easily keep the turnstiles clicking.

Wendi
06-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Doesn't bother me at all... of course I've never actually seen the parade anyway...

I don't mind park-hopping to see different parades and attractions at all.

ralika
06-09-2005, 01:50 PM
It Would Be Werid Seeing It At Dca

DangerMouse
06-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Keep Christmas parade at DL. Keep EP at DCA. Boot out POD (or maybe just run it once during the day)-- sorry, I wasn't impressed with this one. . .

ralika
06-09-2005, 02:51 PM
I Loved Dl New Parade

Doodle Duck
06-09-2005, 03:19 PM
OK...radical idea time...How about one of the parades through Down Town Disney and around the esplanade.

POD in DL...EP in DCA and CP in DTD. Whoopie! :fez:

pisces
06-09-2005, 04:31 PM
The Parade of Dreams is going to be around for 18 months. And, frankly, I have a sneaking suspicion the POD will be held over even beyond the 18 months, and somehow elements of it will always remain. The Christmas Fantasy is a once a year tradition. To move it is almost like not having turkey on Thanksgiving. You can't deny people their traditions.

The Electrical Parade actually fits right in with Christmas because of the lights.

The biggest mistake they are making is to do away with the EP, primarily because it goes right along with Christmas.

Disney Vault
06-09-2005, 04:57 PM
To move it is almost like not having turkey on Thanksgiving. You can't deny people their traditions.
Think of it more as you wont have the turkey and thanksgiving dinner at your house but at your relatives house instead. It is still there and just as good.