PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

PirateSmile
06-06-2005, 02:34 PM
I know there was an earlier thread about this, but I couldn't find it, sorry! How does everyone feel about cellphones at Disneyland? I'm going to be bringing mine, but I want to know what annoys people and what doesn't in case I get a call (rarity.) I'll be putting it on silent when I go on rides.

Hakuna Makarla
06-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey, it helped me when i went so I could get a hold of coaster,lisa and others. And you know what, I was able to call my family at home and friends called me. So bring it, its a needed thing!!

Andrew
06-06-2005, 02:40 PM
I keep mine on vibrate all the time, but I can tell you that the annoyance of a phone ringing in the Mansion or Pirates is about on par with one ringing in a movie theater. Same goes for talking during a ride or show. As long as you keep the ringer off and have conversations outside, no one should complain.

The Mouse Is Back
06-06-2005, 02:41 PM
As long as people observe good cell phone etiquette, I have no problem with them using their phones in DL.

Good cell phone etiquette includes:

(1) Turning off your ringer inside rides and especially at shows.

(2) Not conducting LOUD CONVERSATIONS that disturb other guests.

(3) Not using profanity in your conversations (of course that applies even when you're not using your cell!).

(4) Here's the biggest pet peeve I have - people who use their camera phone to take pics on dark rides and keep checking out the pic on the display - I think they need to add a rule, instead of just saying "no flash photography", how about "no annoying displays on your camera phone, digital camera, or camcorder"? VERY RUDE.

I don't even turn on my cell when I'm at DL, except if I have to make a call for some reason. I'm too busy having fun! :)

Enjoy your trip!

-Allegra-

Barbossa
06-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Though I tend to be critical of most common cell phone habits (and am hypocritically guilty of having all of them), I do think cell phones are invaluable at a place like DLR. Some reasons:

1. I can, for example, take DS on one ride while DW takes DD on another ride. No matter where we go, we can hook up via cell phone.

2. My kids have ID tags tied to their shoes. Our cell phone numbers are on these tags, allowing instant contact if they (God forbid) ever get lost.

Osky
06-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Worse than the cameras on dark rides are those light up spinner toys they sell in the park. We had a family in the front of the boat in POTC that had a kid using one of those spinners. My mom asked them to stop and they started throwing F-bombs left and right at us. Some people never consider there actions and how they affect others. As long as you do not use it in a ride or a restaurant, I think it is fair.

averagedork
06-07-2005, 08:08 AM
I think cellphones are great at Disneyland. Granted I hate people calling me at Disneyland, coughcoughmyparentscough, but still...

Cellphones work really great during/after the fireworks. My friend and I got separated afterwards and we found each other because we had our phones. I don't know how we would have found each other otherwise.

nursemelis374
06-07-2005, 08:35 AM
I frequently don't bring my cell phone with me to DL because I don't even hear it. DLF and I missed about 4 of each other's calls because we couldn't hear in DL!

kohl
06-07-2005, 09:39 AM
My husband and I use the cell phones to call each other if we go on seperate rides with the kids. (The only people who ever call me are my husband or mom) I always have it on vibrate because I usually can't hear the ring in Disneyland.

mystycalchyk
06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
My husband always has his with him (attached to his hip) it's on vibrate and it's mainly for our family to be able to reach us if needed and if we are meeting up with people in the park for them to reach us and vice verse.

I tend to lean more toward hating cell phones. No one ever beleives me that my plan for my phone only has 75 minutes a month and I never use them all. It truly is a "if I need it, its nice" thing to me. But, yeah....I'm certainly not tied to the things.

mad4mky
06-07-2005, 10:12 AM
I think people at the Disney parks (yes, even WDW) are fairly respectful of otherse when it comes to cell phones.

When we were at DL Paris...I was shocked...just shocked...that people in France...talk on their phone while in line, getting on the ride...and throughout the whole ride. Non-stop. Yak, yak, yak. They could care less that there are other guests in the car/boat. They just chat away... :rolleyes:

HTHgal12
06-07-2005, 10:13 AM
I am guilty of all those things and I do believe cell phones are valuable and are needed but I had a guy sit in the front row on May 5, in the Disneys first 50 magical years, at the first showing of the day (and the first showing to the public, sit with his camcorder and looks through the little monitor thing and had it be bright. Everyone could see it because he was in the front row. soo annoying

Bottom line...be courteous with your cell but bring it

Pat-n-Eil
06-07-2005, 10:25 AM
The way electronics are made these days, digital cameras, cell phone cameras, camcorders - they all have bright screens that are distracting. My camcorder has the option of using the eyepiece (black & white) or the view screen (color).. out of respect I would use the eyepiece.

Cell phones are always a double edged sword when they can be distracting to others. Without getting into a whole etiquette conversation, I agree with the others - they are invaluable for keeping tabs on your busy family, especially as the kids get older and want to do some exploring with each other (without the folks). My phone has "manner mode" which is vibrate only and then it also has loud ringer with vibrate for when you are walking among thousands of others.. but If I were in a dark ride or show and received a call, I would not answer it, opting to call them back after I got out.

CrazyTrain
06-07-2005, 10:54 AM
I have my phone on ring because the vibrate feature never seems to work when it's in my pocket. But it doesn't get reception in many rides.

My friend and I were on HM Friday, trying to get in touch with another friend who was also in the park. Well, we were at Leota's and the doombuggies had stopped to load someone and sure enough, my friend's phone went off! We looked at each other mortified! But she answered it and quickly took care of the call as the ride started again. Luckliy we were surrounded by people we knew but it was still a little embarassing!

rentayenta
06-07-2005, 10:58 AM
I have to have my cell. I keep it on vibrate and turn it off on rides.

The old man
06-07-2005, 11:57 AM
A few years ago we tried to use our cellphones to keep in touch if we split up--only for use on the walkways, not in line, not on rides. I found they really didn't work, so last April we brought our walkie-talkies. Using a one-watt Motorola we were sucessful in calling from Splash Mountain to Alice In Wonderland. They weren't perfect, but it was better. I'm wondering is the reception for cellphones better these days? More cell sites, etc.
David

MrsPooh
06-07-2005, 12:12 PM
I keep mine, but I usually don't hear it either. I keep it on just in case there is some emergency at home and I need to know about it. My father is not in the best of health, I want to be able to keep in touch.

Normouse
06-07-2005, 09:01 PM
I've noticed that people like to jabber on their cell phones while waiting in line for rides, and I find it really annoying to be trying to get away from reality, and have someone else's personal life interrupt my experience. I know it's just a line, but it's also part of the Disneyland experience, and I think it's just plain rude to subject a group of people to it.

adriennek
06-07-2005, 10:14 PM
I find it no more annoying than people who are talking too loudly in line so that everyone can hear about there business. I think it's worse at the grocery store where people would otherwise be not talking. At Disneyland either they're on their phone talking so you can hear it or talking to the people that they're with so you still have to hear it.

Adrienne

sdfilmcritic
06-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I hate it when I'm in a public restroom and people are jabbering away loudly and their voices are echoing off the walls and it hurts my ears. :|

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-07-2005, 11:22 PM
I agree. I only use my cell in the park, to meet up with someone else in our group, a real quick "Where are you?" Then "ok, meet you there."

lisap
06-08-2005, 05:35 AM
I don't mind the talking on the cell phone thing so much, but taking flash pictures with the cellphone during the ride is really, really annoying. We have come across this a lot lately--mostly with teenagers being silly. But when you're stuck in a boat with them or near them.... :| Let's just say my kids get embarrassed while I play "CM for a moment."

Pat-n-Eil
06-08-2005, 06:03 AM
I've noticed that people like to jabber on their cell phones while waiting in line for rides, and I find it really annoying to be trying to get away from reality, and have someone else's personal life interrupt my experience. I know it's just a line, but it's also part of the Disneyland experience, and I think it's just plain rude to subject a group of people to it.

Fast Pass

:)

CrazyTrain
06-08-2005, 08:10 AM
I hate it when I'm in a public restroom and people are jabbering away loudly and their voices are echoing off the walls and it hurts my ears. :|

I always wonder if the person thry're talking to enjoys hearing me tinkle. :confused:

MrsPooh
06-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Let's just say my kids get embarrassed while I play "CM for a moment."

Good for you lisap! ;)