PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic Desserts?

Pages : [1] 2

dra_rosie_k
06-07-2005, 10:16 AM
I am thinking about this for our trip at Christmastime.

I would love to get more info on the what, where and how's related to the Fantasmic Desserts at the Disney Gallery.

Is booking still 30 days out?

Is it worth the price -- my family (nine adults) has never seen Fantasmic and will only be spending two days at DL. We were thinking about Napa Rose for dinner, and I thought this might be a nice capper to the evening on Dec 23. The other 21 family members arrive the next day.

Thanks!

bradk
06-07-2005, 10:40 AM
yes, 30 days out, starting at 8 am PST. call a couple days in advance just to make sure you have your dates aligned properly, 9 is a large group, particularly for the balcony.

as a special occasion, it's definitely nice. it's absolutely not needed though, particularly in december i'd imagine.

got2travel
06-07-2005, 11:23 AM
The desserts that we had to chose from were:

Rasberry White Chocolate Cheesecake (Yummy!!!)
Black Forrest Cake
Chocolate dipped strawberries
Cheese and cracker platter
Little bite sized pastries that I'm sure have some fancy name??
Beignets (fried dough with dipping sauce)
Fruit

I agree, 9 is a large group for the balcony which I believe only seats 15. Another option is the riverside seating, which my family prefers. But others swear by the balcony.

For riverside, you have a slightly different menu.

Chocolate dipped strawberries
Mickey shaped rice crispy treats
Rasberry filled shortbread cookies
Biscotti
Brownies (although not every trip has had these)

Osky
06-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Beignets (fried dough with dipping sauce)

Weren't those the New Orleans' Fritters? Beignets are typically covered with lots o' powdered sugar, are flat and rectangular, and typically do not come with sauce. I would enjoy it if they had beignets, but when I was there it was the fritters. Large fried dough balls. They have some so-so beignets at Ralph Brennens in DTD. I must say that I do like the apple dippin' sauce for the fritters.

Beignet: http://www.crescentcitybeignets.com/beignet.html

Leash81
06-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I have never done riverside but have done the balcony a few times and just got it reserved for my trip in July! THe balcony is wonderful, the food is great, the view is awesome and it is so nice to be able to get there about 45min before the show and then be able to sit down.
That being said I did have a great time when I went this past April and did not sit at the balcony. We got hot chocolate and rice krispy treats from the Stage Door Cafe and we grabed a table between the Stage Door Cafe and Riverbelle Terrace and were able to sit through the whole show and we only got there about 20 minutes before show time. The only problem was that this seating was off to the side so we were behind one of the water screens but it was still a pretty good view.
So basically you just have to decide if the money is worth the view and the food also the planning factor is a little annoying. You would have to be sure to be on the phone right when the lines open so that you could be sure to get enough seats. However if you are staying at a Disney hotel you can have vacation planning services do this for you.

dra_rosie_k
06-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Even if I am not staying on a concierge level I can get them to book it for me since we are staying at the GCH???

ralika
06-07-2005, 01:09 PM
yes you can

Drince88
06-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Beignet: http://www.crescentcitybeignets.com/beignet.html

Ok - this is just WRONG. NONE of the locations are IN the Crescent City (or even the STATE that holds the Crescent City!)

To REALLY experience them, go to the ORIGINAL commercial establishment (http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignet.html).

Sorry for the derail. I'm really not a New Orleans Native, I just live here now (Native = at least attended high school yourself, really, your parents should have attended high school in the city)

To get back on topic: Do they have the schedule for Fantasmic! published 30 days prior during the off-season?

mystycalchyk
06-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Hmm my thought is to do your dinner early (in the 5 o'clock hour at the absolute latest) and then the last Fantasmic (usually around 10:30) that way you have room for dessert. We usually wont have dinner if we book the balcony because of that. We eat a late lunch and then just do the balcony. My personal favorite are the fresh fruit kabobs. But they have a decadent chocolate layer cake that is simply divine as well. Mmmmmmmmmm

Osky
06-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Ok - this is just WRONG. NONE of the locations are IN the Crescent City (or even the STATE that holds the Crescent City!)

Ok. :) I just threw that link up because it was the first one that came up when I googled beignet. I was just going after a site with a picture.

bradk
06-07-2005, 01:21 PM
disneyland.com has the schedule posted usually 2-3 months out at least.

GrowupDisney
06-07-2005, 02:37 PM
What kind of cost is associated with the Fantasmic dessert thing?
In all my years of going to Disneyland, I've never seen Fantasmic (or a parade, for that matter). :eek: I used those times to hop on shortened ride lines and I didn't want to waste time sitting and holding good seats. :p So I think since this trip I'll have 3 full days at the parks, this might be the time to see Fantasmic and avoid having to sit for hours in advance for decent seats.

mystycalchyk
06-07-2005, 02:47 PM
The cost for the balcony is upwards of $45 to $50 per person. Sad, I just did this last month and I dont remember. I knew the approximate amount so I never thought about it....I just booked 'em. :D

Family5LovesDisney
06-07-2005, 02:53 PM
I just booked it the other night. I think it was $106 total for two of us. Prices were slightly cheaper for children on either Riverside or Balcony. I don't remember. We had to take Riverside as Balcony was already booked. I think you don't get as many desserts and they said something about a souvenir tin or something like that? Maybe like the kid's meal plastic boxes??? LOL!

mystycalchyk
06-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Yes, I believe the prices are slightly cheaper for children on the Riverfront. They are the same for the balcony however. From what I have heard the dessert on the Riverside is yummy :) One day we may have to try it.

GrowupDisney
06-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Yikes! $50/person for dessert and a chair? Is it worth it?

Family5LovesDisney
06-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Guess I will find out on the 26th of this month! :)

mystycalchyk
06-07-2005, 03:55 PM

For a special thing as a treat? Sure...why not. It's not like we do this all the time. I get a prime spot, dead center, that I can just leisurely show up for and am guaranteed my seat instead of camping out forever and sitting on concrete and getting a numb butt. The desserts are a bonus IMO.
We dont eat much that day and we take mucho advantage of the buffet. Starting with cheese and crackers and fruit. Finishing off with one of the desserts. (I suppose we could eat a ton of desserts, but yeah one is plenty) All the coffee, hot cocoa or mint julips you can drink *shrugs* yeah....it's a special kind of thing. :D

Mark Mywords
06-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Yeah, probably. The view from the balcony is very good. For me, what was truly impressive was how cool F! is from a high angle. It really adds something to see it from that elevated vantage point. The dessert is very yummy too...

sierranevada
06-07-2005, 04:28 PM
I did the Riverfront Seating on January and have done the Balcony last summer and wanted to compare the too! They no longer do the "boxed" desserts at the Riverfront - it is buffet now just like the Balcony. Although when I went, there were only about 15 people (Riverfront can take about 50 people, Balcony up to 22 people) so the CM's plated the desserts for us - and did a wonderful job! It was presented on a huge white china serving plate with 2 chocolate dipped strawberries, a large shortbread cookie filled with raspberry and dipped in white chocolate that had been tinted lavender with small gold stars on it, a coconut macaroon, biscotti and a Mickey Mouse shaped rice krispy treat dipped in chocolate with Mickey's face drawn on it in White Chocolate! They swirled chocolate and raspberry syrup around the edges of the plate! The kids plate was a yellow heavy plastic that looked easier for kids to hold. They got the same stuff but they added some mini M&M's and sprinkles on the plate!

The balcony is more centered and higher up and you feel more "special!". The desserts were more "upscale at the balcony - cheesecake, carrot cake, black forest cake, fritters, fruite & cheese plate etc. The Riverfront is slightly to the left of center (still a great view) but you are only about 20 feet away from the water so you can actually feel the heat when the river catches on fire! The price for both the balcony and riverfront is $53 per person but the Riverfront does offer a discount for kids ($10 less). Fantasmic Balcony seating will be done in order of original ticket purchase, and seating is 30 min before showtime. Fantasmic Riverfront seating check-in is 1 hour before showtime, seating is 30 min before and is done by check-in order.
Call 714-781-4400 to make reservations 30 days in advance

crazi4dlr
06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
DH and I are going to be there in 2 weeks and we reserved the balcony for the 21st at 10:30. We have never watched Fantasmic because we use the opportunity to go on the rides as the lines are shorter. This time we are celebrating our 2nd honeymoon so we wanted to do something special. I am so excited about going to DL anyway and this is just the topper on the sundae! Oh yeah, we will be having lunch at the Blue Bayou also and that is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid but never got to. This is gonna be soooo greaaat!!!!!!

penguin66
06-07-2005, 04:56 PM
You'll have to give us a full report. I'm debating whether or not to spring for it.

bassett1976
06-07-2005, 06:19 PM
We were thinking about Napa Rose for dinner, and I thought this might be a nice capper to the evening on Dec 23.

It is worth the money to do the Fantasmic dessert once! You may want to divide the Napa Rose night with the Fantasmic Dessert. You have so much good dessert to choose from that you might want to get a light dinner or a really early dinner so that you have more room for dessert. Then you will also not feel rushed to get over to NOS in time for Fantasmic.

Family5LovesDisney
06-08-2005, 06:33 AM
I did the Riverfront Seating on January and have done the Balcony last summer and wanted to compare the too! They no longer do the "boxed" desserts at the Riverfront - it is buffet now just like the Balcony. Although when I went, there were only about 15 people (Riverfront can take about 50 people, Balcony up to 22 people) so the CM's plated the desserts for us - and did a wonderful job! It was presented on a huge white china serving plate with 2 chocolate dipped strawberries, a large shortbread cookie filled with raspberry and dipped in white chocolate that had been tinted lavender with small gold stars on it, a coconut macaroon, biscotti and a Mickey Mouse shaped rice krispy treat dipped in chocolate with Mickey's face drawn on it in White Chocolate! They swirled chocolate and raspberry syrup around the edges of the plate! The kids plate was a yellow heavy plastic that looked easier for kids to hold. They got the same stuff but they added some mini M&M's and sprinkles on the plate!

The balcony is more centered and higher up and you feel more "special!". The desserts were more "upscale at the balcony - cheesecake, carrot cake, black forest cake, fritters, fruite & cheese plate etc. The Riverfront is slightly to the left of center (still a great view) but you are only about 20 feet away from the water so you can actually feel the heat when the river catches on fire! The price for both the balcony and riverfront is $53 per person but the Riverfront does offer a discount for kids ($10 less). Fantasmic Balcony seating will be done in order of original ticket purchase, and seating is 30 min before showtime. Fantasmic Riverfront seating check-in is 1 hour before showtime, seating is 30 min before and is done by check-in order.
Call 714-781-4400 to make reservations 30 days in advance

VERY HELPFUL! THANKS!!! We were not able to get the balcony seating for the 26th but did get the Riverside seating. It sounds like it will be fun too! I was wondering if I would be disappointed about this type of seating vs. balcony seating. So we show up 30 minutes before showtime???

sierranevada
06-08-2005, 07:07 AM
VERY HELPFUL! THANKS!!! We were not able to get the balcony seating for the 26th but did get the Riverside seating. It sounds like it will be fun too! I was wondering if I would be disappointed about this type of seating vs. balcony seating. So we show up 30 minutes before showtime???

I actually preferred the Riverfront because it is closer to the action. In fact, I had a choice of balcony or riverfront when I called for July 5th and chose Riverfront! I also prefer the desserts at Riverfront. While the desserts on the balcony are wonderful, they are mostly cakes and there is a limit to how many slices of cake I can eat before I get a sugar headache! With smaller finger size desserts, I get more of a taste of everything!

You need to check in one hour before the show. When you come back 30 minutes later to be seated, they will seat you in the order in which you checked in.

Have fun and enjoy!