PDA

View Full Version : Critique my July 1-4 Itinerary (LONG)

makunc1
06-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Hi everyone ... wanted some advice on my July trip (yes, I know the park will be crazed, but with RIDEMAX's help, I think we will be OK).

Background - I am taking my fiancee to Disneyland as a surprise trip to celebrate our two year dating anniversary, which is July 3. She knows we are going away, but does not know where, and I only plan on showing her the itinerary on the morning we board the plane from Newark to John Wayne.

I have already paid for everything, and the only expenses on this trip will be food, parking and souveniers. I have booked the Embassy Suites, Garden Grove after hearing wonderful reviews about it on this and other sites. I have, in hand, our 3-day parkhopper passes and front of the line passes to Universal. Also, I have a lunch PS made for Blue Bayou and, for our anniversary dinner, reservations at the Chart House in Newport Beach for July 3 evening (I took her to the CHart House in NJ last July 3, so I thought it would be a nice symmetric idea).

On July 1, we should get in at around noon CA time, and check into the hotel at hopefully 1:30ish. I plan on getting to the main gate at 2:30 or earlier via ART (I have gone back and forth over this vs. taking the rental car, but have settled on ART -- feel free to change my mind, if you think the car would be better). We have a 3:20 PS for Blue Bayou, and I plan on just going straight there upon entering the park to try and get waterfront seating. After that, using RIDEMAX, I plan on doing all of the relevant Frontierland, New Orleans, and Tomorrowland rides, departing the park at around closing (midnight).

Only July 2, I currently have us entering DCA at opening (arriving beforehand) and riding all of the rides before 5:30 via RIDEMAX before seeing Aladdin at 6:05 and then eating dinner at Downtown Disney. Then, we plan on relaxing and going over to Disney for the fireworks and the late Fantasmic (for some reason, I am more crazed about the rides than getting great seats for this).

On July 3, we are spending the day at Universal (my fiancee's favorite) with FOTL passes. Then, we will go back and relax at the pool before leaving for Newport Beach for 8:00 dinner reservations.

On July 4, a Monday (will disney still do EE on a holiday??), I plan on going into Disney and riding the Fantasyland rides at 7:00 a.m. and then going straight to Spalsh mountain and seeing anything else we will have missed on the first day. We have to leave at about 1:00 p.m. for our 3:30 flight back home.

My only real question is, am I better off dong EE on Saturday July 2 before crossing into DCA, or do you think that will be too much for one day?

PLEASE critique my itinerary -- this will be my first trip to Disneyland, and I need to make it memorable. Thanks. All of the posters here have made a newbie feel very welcome, and all of your posts are very appreciated.

rentayenta
06-07-2005, 06:37 AM
It sounds like you have an awesome trip planned!

I would do the EE on Sat and not take the chance that they won't do it on a holiday. You'll have plenty of time to make it over for the opening of DCA.

stinkerbell
06-07-2005, 08:08 AM
What a great boyfriend! :)

Also, I've been to the Chart House up here in Portland (we live nearby) and the one in Newport, and it's lovely!! Enjoy!

I'd use ART for getting around Anaheim, not a rental car (you don't want to have to worry about parking, the tram, etc.).

hlbtimes2
06-07-2005, 08:32 AM
It sounds like you have an awesome trip planned!

I would do the EE on Sat and not take the chance that they won't do it on a holiday. You'll have plenty of time to make it over for the opening of DCA.

I 2nd this! Hit DL before DCA opens. Even if you dont get to DCA right at opening you'll have plenty of time there.

Terrapin
06-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Traffic on July 3 (Sunday) afternoon will likely be heavy on I-5. Plan on 90 minutes at least (maybe 2 hours) making the trip back to hotel from Hollywood. If you are going to Universal early in the morning that direction should be fine (45 minutes).

Don't want you missing those Chart House reservations.

DisneyMomof2
06-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Sounds like a GREAT trip....she's one lucky gal :)

The Chart House in NJ is great ;) We've had several parties there, nothing beats the view!!!

Have a great trip and make sure to write all about it when you get back!

dlandnut
06-07-2005, 09:25 AM
We just did EE this past Saturday, June 4th. We were in line about 15 minutes before it opened at 7 a.m. We went straight in and rode everything, starting with Alice in Wonderland, teacups, Dumbo, Carousel, Mr. Toad, Peter Pan, Snow White, and Pinocchio. Then got in line on the westside of Fantasyland and went straight to RiverBelle Terrace for Breakfast. The only place we waited in line was Peter Pan, about a 5-minute wait. I would also suggest going on Saturday. So worth it to go on everything with little or no wait! Have fun. You sound like quite the romanticist! :)

disney jones
06-07-2005, 10:27 AM
I 2nd this! Hit DL before DCA opens. Even if you dont get to DCA right at opening you'll have plenty of time there.this is pretty exceptional planning for a first timer - it's a very solid plan. :cool:

the first night you mention NOS and Frontierland - don't forget Splash Mountain too in CC.

i third the nomination to go to DL before DCA opens.

Very, very likely Space Mountain will be doing soft openings - plan on it, maybe check that out as soon as you can when you get there and keep your eye out for it.

As for EE, i've never done it but just seen it - the schedule is not consistent from what i've seen, just call ahead of time to see when it's available - typically it's not every day.

But again , congrats - this is a great-looking plan - you've learned well grasshopper. :p

Niwel
06-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Then, we plan on relaxing and going over to Disney for the fireworks and the late Fantasmic (for some reason, I am more crazed about the rides than getting great seats for this).

Be warned - it might be very crowded getting from the fireworks to Fantasmic.... Frontierland entrance becomes a one way (into the land) as does Adventureland (out of the area). Try and see the fireworks on that side of the hub -- it might take you a bit to get through, but the second showing is generally less crowded than the first.

In general, your plan sounds fabulous and I wish someone planned something like that for me. :)

The old man
06-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Expect 100 degree tempertures at Universal.
David

makunc1
06-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I will probably use ART, go to EE on Saturday (and go to Splash and Space (if soft opening) Mountains right at 8am) before heading over to DCA.

I will also leave plently of time to drive back from Universal on Sunday. Hopefully, the FOTL pass will have us out of there by 4.