PDA

View Full Version : Must See 50th anniversary things in the park?

Family5LovesDisney
06-07-2005, 05:04 AM
Perhaps there is a thread or discussion somewhere already about this?? We are only going to be in the park a half day. From about 1:30 in the afternoon until it closes at midnight on June 26th. We were at the park in March, before the 50th anniversary really started. Any tips on "MUST SEE" things in the park special for the 50th?? How is the parade? I don't think we will have much luck with the fireworks show since we already booked a Fantasmic Dessert Buffet for the 9:00 show and won't be able to make it in front of the castle to see the special effects :crying: Are there gold touches throughout the park?

bradk
06-07-2005, 06:20 AM
gold touches, gold vehicles, all that.

mickey climbing the matterhorn on weekends

parade of dreams is very good

PUSH is a must-encounter

nursemelis374
06-07-2005, 06:23 AM
For me it is the Steve Martin/Donald Duck 59th show in the opera house and the fireworks.

Gone2Disneyland
06-07-2005, 07:18 AM
1. "The Disneyland Story" movie with Steve Martin is worthwhile. Haven't seen it with children tho', but it should be entertaining enough for them, esp. during the Donald Duck moments.

2. I saw the Parade of Dreams and really enjoyed it. But after watching the new fireworks show and talking with a friend about it, the parade is just a parade (a good one with a catchy theme song, but still...) while the fireworks show is a true tribute to Disneyland. If you're looking for tribute moments and aren't a huge fan of parades, you can pass on the parade. But try to catch the fireworks on a future visit (just bring a supply of patience while finding a good place to view it).

3. I love Fantasmic! and hope to splurge on the dessert option someday. To me, that's a great trade-off to missing the new fireshows show from the hub. I saw the fireworks show from NOS after Fantasmic! on May 5. At that time, you couldn't hear the music, and since the fireworks are synchronized to that and other visual effects going on in view from the hub (and the steps of Main Street Railroad Station), you'll see sporatic fireworks and some flames that won't make for a good show but will whet your curiosity to see it from the hub on your next visit.

4. I enjoy looking for the 50 hidden 50s throughout the park. I've found 36 and avoided the postings here until I find all 50. Of course, with only half a day, it would only be a nice diversion for you going from ride to ride. And some are cleverly done up.

5. Finally, the gold touches (besides the hidden 50's I mentioned) are throughout the park. Great accents instead of the gaudiness I was fearing, esp. along Main Street and the castle. You'll enjoy how they enhance the anniversary feeling as you head towards the central hub.

I don't know how familiar you are with the details of the rides, but I enjoyed the changes on Pirates of the Caribbean and the Jungle Cruise. Not huge changes, but noticeable if you're a regular.

Enjoy your trip, and bring sunscreen.

Family5LovesDisney
06-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Is the Lincoln story up and running or is the Steve Martin film in it's place???? This is only my second time in the Park so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

No kids with us this time! I am tagging along with my husband on a business trip to San Diego. My parents are watching the kids.

We will have fun finding the hidden MICKEYS!

BTW........my husband was in Tokyo Disney a week and a half ago. Said that he could not find anything related to the 50th celebration over there. Not even any golden ears!

JiminyCricket
06-07-2005, 09:04 AM
To tell you the truth, the Remember the Dream fireworks show is FANTASTIC!! I would recommend them very much, especailly from the hub right in front of the castle. I then saw the fantasmic show at 10:30. If at all possible I would do that schedule than the early show of Fantasmic!

Baloo
06-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Try and see the 50th year exhibit it is very enjoyable. The parade is also a must see. If you want to be able to see several floats at once try to get a spot somewhere in the middle of the mainstreet plaza.

I would not give up on the fireworks. Rememebr it is a whole 17 minute long segment. You might just have enough time to get down from the balcony and head towards mainstreet thru adventureland and find a spot next to the closed plaza restuarant and catch most if not part of the show. the first few minutes are nice but as soon as the tribute part of the show starts it is even more amazing.

Mukta
06-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Is the Lincoln story up and running or is the Steve Martin film in it's place???? This is only my second time in the Park so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

The Steve Martin film is in its place right now. The building has all new displays in it and the film is playing in the theater where Mr. Lincoln used to be.

Family5LovesDisney
06-07-2005, 02:39 PM
To tell you the truth, the Remember the Dream fireworks show is FANTASTIC!! I would recommend them very much, especailly from the hub right in front of the castle. I then saw the fantasmic show at 10:30. If at all possible I would do that schedule than the early show of Fantasmic! I already purchased the tickets for the 9:00 show but thought about calling to see if I could have them moved. The only problem is that we will be on EST and 9:00 is going to feel like 12:00 to us plus we will have had a six hour flight into LA. JET LAG! I'm not sure if I feel like eating dessert at 11:00 (or 2:00 EST)

Family5LovesDisney
06-07-2005, 02:40 PM
The Steve Martin film is in its place right now. The building has all new displays in it and the film is playing in the theater where Mr. Lincoln used to be.
No more Mr. Lincoln???

mystycalchyk
06-07-2005, 02:41 PM
IMO its easier to stake out a spot for the fireworks (which are the most magical thing I've seen Disney do in ages!) THEN do the late show of Fantasmic. If you are able to book the desert balcony its guaranteed to be the best bet. This is what we did on May 7th. Fireworks then immediately over to the baclony (with the crowds that weekend it was imperative to head on over ASAP). We got out seats and started enjoying our 'dessert dinner' well beofre the show, so that by the time Fantasmic started we were leisurely sipping mint julips and able to focus all our attention on it.

But yes the Fireworks are a must do IMO.

I agree with everything else mentioned here. Looking for the Hidden 50s (not so hidden really ;) ), catching 'The First 50 years' with Steve Martin, and scoping out all the golden touches. Get you some golden Mickey ears and lose yourself in it all :D Oh and check out the Hidden Walt in the entrance queue for 'The First 50 Years'.

Along the right hand wall is a mock up of the castle. Peek inside the drawbridge for Walt. It gave me chills the first time I saw him ;)

But please oh please do not miss the fireworks. IMO the best place to view them is from the hub (if not in the dead center, then toward the Tomorrowland side) Just make sure you can see the castle clearly as well as the Matterhorn. Best. Show. Evar!!!

edited to add: Mr Lincoln is promised to return after the 50th festivites are over. He is on temporary hiatus.

Family5LovesDisney
06-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Unfortunately, we were not able to get the balcony seating for the Fantasmic Dessert. We have Riverside seating. Since I have only been to Disneyland once, I am a bit fuzzy as to exactly where I will be sitting and what my chances are to run over towards the front of the castle so I can see the special effects that are part of the fireworks show. I am so upset now that I didn't realize that it sounds next to impossible to do both. Just call me a green horn. :eek:

mystycalchyk
06-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Well you cant see them both if you are doing the early showing of Fantasmic. I hate to say it but in my opinion I would rather see 'Remember' than 'Fantasmic!', but thats just me. :( I dont mean to be a downer, just being honest. I really enjoy Fantasmic, and I've never done the Riverside seating. I'm sure it's great, plus I have heard from others that they feel more 'involved' in the show since they are closer to the water than from the balcony. The Riverfront seats are more towards the Haunted Mansion side of NOS by the boarding for Tom Sawyer Island right up close to the action. Im sure you will have a wonderful time!
The 'Remember' fireworks are here for 18 months. Any chance of coming back? :D

Family5LovesDisney
06-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Any chances of coming back?? One never knows. Before March, I had never been to CA. Who would have thought I would get to make it back in the same year, even if it is just for half a day! (I live in NJ........CA isn't exactly right around the corner) I have never seen Fantasmic so I guess I will just have to be content with that and not get too upset about missing the fireworks! The chances are that we will probably make it to WDW before we make it back to DL but one never knows!

mystycalchyk
06-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Then enjoy!!!! Fantasmic is a great show! And it's much better in Disneyland than WDW for sure!!

I know what you mean about it not being a 'hop skip and a jump'. Used to be an east coaster myself. As much of a Disneyland Geek I am, my first visit wasnt until I was 27! I had never been to California (or anywhere west of Louisiana for that matter, and even that was when I was 8 :eek: ) prior to 1997. I was a Disney geek long before that though :fez:

Please make sure to do a trip report for us when you get home, we love to live vicariously through others visits. Have a magical time!

Family5LovesDisney
06-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I have never seen the Fantasmic Show at MGM because that is my least favorite park in WDW! We only go there about once every three years and skip it the other times. So I'm glad that my first viewing will be at Disneyland!

CA was one of the few states I had not visited prior to March. Now my list is down to Alaska, Alabama, Washington State, and Michigan.

My family packed me in the car as a youngster and took me all over the place during the summer. We drove everywhere. My father was crazy! 15 hours in one day was nothing for him to drive! I guess that's why I enjoy flying now so much! :D

mystycalchyk
06-07-2005, 03:46 PM
You sound like me, :D I have a list of states too, although mine is larger than yours, in the 'still need to see' category.

I've done the east coast from Canada to the Keys, and across the bottom states and up along the west coast. It's that 'middle part' that I still need to get to ;) (Plus Hawaii and Alaska)

Gone2Disneyland
06-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Then enjoy!!!! Fantasmic is a great show! And it's much better in Disneyland than WDW for sure!!

I guarantee you will love Fantasmic! Even with jetlag. :D

It's very unique and full of Disney characters and magic. Don't worry about missing the new fireworks show this time, just hope you get to come back again to see next time.

Family5LovesDisney
06-08-2005, 06:25 AM
I guarantee you will love Fantasmic! Even with jetlag. :D

It's very unique and full of Disney characters and magic. Don't worry about missing the new fireworks show this time, just hope you get to come back again to see next time.
THANK YOU! I feel better already! :D And I am so excited about getting to see Fantasmic! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will hold out that night since we only have the 1/2 day in the Park. Keep them crossed for me??? ;)

Family5LovesDisney
06-08-2005, 06:28 AM
You sound like me, :D I have a list of states too, although mine is larger than yours, in the 'still need to see' category.

I've done the east coast from Canada to the Keys, and across the bottom states and up along the west coast. It's that 'middle part' that I still need to get to ;) (Plus Hawaii and Alaska) My Mom thinks my husband and I are silly since we hit up Disney so much in our travels! (heck, my husband was in Tokyo 2 weeks ago on business and managed to find time to buy a twilight pass to get into Tokyo Disney for a few hours!) She says that Disney can't beat majestic mountains or sparkling rivers! But my husband and I still can't get that DISNEY virus out of our blood! It's just a different type of enchantment (and we still love the mountains too!)

Gone2Disneyland
06-08-2005, 07:14 AM
THANK YOU! I feel better already! :D And I am so excited about getting to see Fantasmic! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will hold out that night since we only have the 1/2 day in the Park. Keep them crossed for me??? ;)

Just wanted to add you should just stay in your seats if they'll let you at the end. The "Remember..." fireworks starts just minutes after the end of "Fantasmic!" (and I think they'll ask you to stay in your place anyway over the loudspeakers). You should have a decent seat for that show from there as well, looking across the river over Frontierland towards the skies above the castle.

Enjoy.

Family5LovesDisney
06-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Just wanted to add you should just stay in your seats if they'll let you at the end. The "Remember..." fireworks starts just minutes after the end of "Fantasmic!" (and I think they'll ask you to stay in your place anyway over the loudspeakers). You should have a decent seat for that show from there as well, looking across the river over Frontierland towards the skies above the castle.

Enjoy.
I was under the impression that we wouldn't be able to see the show very well from that area??? I guess we would miss out on the Special Effects on the facade of the Castle and the Matterhorn and just see what is in the sky?

Gone2Disneyland
06-08-2005, 06:30 PM
I was under the impression that we wouldn't be able to see the show very well from that area??? I guess we would miss out on the Special Effects on the facade of the Castle and the Matterhorn and just see what is in the sky?

That's still true, you won't experience the full effect of the "Remember..." fireworks show from NOS, like you say, just what appears in the sky. I was just suggesting you simply relax after "Fantasmic!" "Remember..." begins within a minute or two of "Fantasmic!" conclusion. No need to rush out to anything, since you've got yourself a seat.

Now, after the fireworks, just expect a crowd of folks all doing likely the same as you: all milling together down Main Street towards the exit. Bring plenty of patience. :)

Family5LovesDisney
06-09-2005, 05:12 AM
That's still true, you won't experience the full effect of the "Remember..." fireworks show from NOS, like you say, just what appears in the sky. I was just suggesting you simply relax after "Fantasmic!" "Remember..." begins within a minute or two of "Fantasmic!" conclusion. No need to rush out to anything, since you've got yourself a seat.

Now, after the fireworks, just expect a crowd of folks all doing likely the same as you: all milling together down Main Street towards the exit. Bring plenty of patience. :) Since we won't have our three boys with us, patience won't be a problem! The park is open until midnight that evening so I think we won't head over to Main Street quite yet when the fireworks show is finished. It will be a treat for us to get to stay until park closing. That is something we can never do when we have our boys. They are ready for bed by 8:00 and start whining around 7:30!