PDA

View Full Version : disney electrical bill

jake99
01-30-2002, 06:33 PM
i was thinking how much animatronics, computers, and lights are in Dland and wondered how big disneys electric bill must be, i was wondering if anyone knew how much their electric bill is or if they use their own power generators

socabch
01-30-2002, 07:56 PM
Remember the big black out over a few states in August several years ago. We arrived at DLR that day. Didn't even know it happened until we saw it on the news that night. The hotel desk clerk said Disney runs on their own generator all of the time. We were at a Good Neighbor Motel, (that's no longer there) and they were also hooked up to Disney. So we enjoyed our days with electricity. It was extremely hot that week!!!!!

tabacco
01-30-2002, 08:00 PM
They don't run on their own generated power, they use Orange County's just like everyone else. They do have a lot of emergency backup power, though. You can see quite a few large generators in various places backstage.

socabch
01-30-2002, 08:39 PM
So then the generators must have kicked in during the blackout. WOW! They keep the whole park running on back-ups. Sure glad they did. Made my trip very comfortable. I was wondering if they could run on generators the whole time (like the clerk said). I worked at an auto manf plant in the bay area for ten years and when the electric went off we only ran generators for critical areas like the main frame computers and paint areas.

driftwood714
01-30-2002, 09:08 PM
During the fall when it rained (twice I can think of off the top of my head), the power "dipped" all over the Resort. When power dips, the backup generators instantly start up. There's one that's noticable behind the Emprorium closer to the Fire House. You can hear that sucker from the Fire House... While there may be backup generators, even in a power dip, the attractions still shutdown and have to be evacuated to be restarted..

The power is seperate from Orange County purchased from the City of Anaheim.

Techie7
01-30-2002, 09:14 PM
I seem to remeber a post or an article about a power outage around December right before the parks opened. DLR did fine but if I remeber DCA had all types of problems getting power restored.

cemeinke
01-30-2002, 09:18 PM
The City of Anaheim has it's own Municiple Electric Utility which supplies power to Disneyland. Since Municiple utilities were exempt from deregulation, I don't believe Disneyland could buy from another provider (Good thing too 'cause it probably would have been through Enron).

In any case, I'm sure Disneyland and it's Anaheim properties (Arowhead Pond, Edison Field) are the City's largest customers.

tabacco
01-30-2002, 11:39 PM
Doh... yeah. I kept thinking it was the county that had its own MUD, for some reason. That'll teach me to cut down on the caffeine :)

justagrrl
01-31-2002, 06:35 AM
We kind of lucked out living in Anaheim - as we didn't have any power outages (although we could have from what I've read - depending on where you live in Anaheim.) We also had a drop in our Electric Bill where as most of O.C. experienced an increase.

I think I remember reading that Anaheim even sold excess power to O.C. at some point.

Nigel2
01-31-2002, 10:32 PM
Taking on what others have said I believe the purpose of the generators are to basically keep things safe and (depending on the attraction) letting only the cars run so they can get people off the ride as well as the elevators.

gautry
02-01-2002, 12:46 PM
disney power dont wory about it, The head of southern california edison sits on the board with king eisner

justagrrl
02-01-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by gautry
disney power dont wory about it, The head of southern california edison sits on the board with king eisner

Did you read the thread?

Disney is in Anaheim. We aren't serviced by So Cal Edison...

merlinjones
02-02-2002, 11:16 AM
Interesting fact: The San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant has four owners, includings the cities of Riverside and... Anaheim. Disneyland is nuke powered!

Not Afraid
02-02-2002, 11:29 AM
Anaheim has about a 3% interest SONGS (along with SDG&E, Riverside, etc. with SCE haveing about an 85% controlling interest). Anaheim's largest generating asset is the "Dirty Coal" Intermountain Power in Utah. Overall, most of their power comes from coal. As with most power providers, Anaheim gets their energy from various generation sources, 20% purchased outright, the rest from generators that they have interest in.

Ace
02-02-2002, 04:46 PM
you're all wrong. Disney owns a hamster sweatshop. There must be a million of them, all running in their little electricity generating hamster wheels. It is very, very sad.

tabacco
02-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
you're all wrong. Disney owns a hamster sweatshop. There must be a million of them, all running in their little electricity generating hamster wheels. It is very, very sad.

Actually, it's just Mickey on a stationary bike. We make him work to keep his name all over the place :)

Nigel2
02-02-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Squinky

Actually its closer to hamster dance.:D

HBTiggerFan
02-02-2002, 10:06 PM
Your ALL wrong.

Its actually Walt spinning in his grave/cryonegic freezer/take your pick...at how his baby is turning out and in frustration with the people running it.

mrfantasmic
02-02-2002, 10:13 PM
So...
How much is the electric bill (monthly)?

driftwood714
02-02-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by mrfantasmic
So...
How much is the electric bill (monthly)?

No one here is going to be able to answer you question. That is definately confidential information not to be released.

pixiepal
02-02-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by socabch
I worked at an auto manf plant in the bay area for ten years

Socabch: That wasn't NUMMI was it?

Nigel2
02-03-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Your ALL wrong.

Its actually Walt spinning in his grave/cryonegic freezer/take your pick...at how his baby is turning out and in frustration with the people running it.

I pick ashes in an urn.

socabch
02-03-2002, 07:18 PM
pixiepal

NUMMI is the one. Both my husband & I worked there. He was on the assembly line and I was in Finance. Used to be a great place to work but it has changed, after the Silicon Valley success our wages became less competative.