PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advise for First Timer to DL

buffielynn
06-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Calling all! As hard as it may be to believe, I'm going to DL for the first time. I am taking my wonderful three children (9,8,3) and my DH. I have bought all the guides "official" " unofficial" been reading for months. But, after finding this site I decided I couldn't find a better resorce.
A little info. We are arriving at DL on Sunday AM and leaving on Friday PM. I have booked a Goofy dinner. So just looking for any advice y'all may have.
What's your favorite thing? If you could only do one thing at DL what would it be? And we are staying at Holiday inn anaheim park, anyone with experiences there? I have looked at the thread here on where to stay.

Thanks so much- Buffie

Hakuna Makarla
06-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Well to bad you did not stay ast the hojo LOL! the reviews here are that its the place to stay. welcome and glad you have come here for advice. If I had one thing to do while AI was there I would say see fantasmic, I was and still am inthralled with it. as far as rides, well ssplash is my favorite as well as big thunder railroad.
Also goofys kitchen is a favorite of mine though the last time it was not so hot I am sure it might be it was just to buisy for me.
The kids will like the tiki room, indiana jones was pretty fun, and pirates was awsome!! Do pirates the kids will love it forever, my 3 year old still sings that song!!
If you need indebth info look to Mukta here, she knows everything about the park and all the inside ways to get on rides and all about fast passes. not to say others don't but she is awsome at it!!
Have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!

Deogge's Mom
06-05-2005, 09:07 PM
The fireworks are a must see. The best view is from the hub, but the train station on Main Street is also a good spot to watch them. The good thing about the train station is that you can then catch the train to New Orleans Square to watch the 10:30 showing of Fantasmic!, another of my must sees.

The Matterhorn and Big Thunder Mountain are two of my favorite rides at Disneyland (I like roller coasters). Of course, I don't think there is any attraction I would never do again.

If your kids like Stitch, take them to Innoventions and let them talk to Stitch. It's a cool little interactive video phone and Stirch will take your picture, which you can view on the internet.

sdfilmcritic
06-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Well I would definitely recommend Tom Sawyer's Island for your kids. This let's your kids run around for a couple of hours and get all their energy out of their system. Since it is an island ( :eek ) your kids won't be escaping this DLR Alcatraz very easily so you won't have to worry about your kids going all over the park without your knowledge.

Earkid
06-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Take a pen and small note pad to write notes thru out the day. This is so helpful when you are back home and so tired that you can't remember everything you did.

This helpful hint was brought to you courtesy of Rentayenta!!

CoasterChickie
06-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Definitely do not miss Fantasmic, the fireworks or the parade at DL. At DCA, be sure to see Aladdin and spend at least an hour ot two in the Animation building doing all of the activities.

tjaa
06-05-2005, 11:36 PM
With the 5 + days you have, you'll be able to do alot. We/I like to try to spend a least a half day in one section of the park (fantasy, new orleans..), the next day a different section and so on (use the train to save walking). Use the fast pass, which can take some running around, often we grab a F/P and get in line for the same ride, making us able to ride it twice. Enjoy the sit down shows (snow white, aladdin...) for a rest. You can easily spend 1 1/2 days or so at DCA. DTD is nice to spend a couple evening hours. You and the kids will find your favorite attractions and can return many times. Have fun :) , make the most of your trip. We bring lots water and snacks to keep us fresh.

ChurroLad
06-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Calling all! As hard as it may be to believe, I'm going to DL for the first time. I am taking my wonderful three children (9,8,3) and my DH. I have bought all the guides "official" " unofficial" been reading for months. But, after finding this site I decided I couldn't find a better resorce.
A little info. We are arriving at DL on Sunday AM and leaving on Friday PM. I have booked a Goofy dinner. So just looking for any advice y'all may have.
What's your favorite thing? If you could only do one thing at DL what would it be? And we are staying at Holiday inn anaheim park, anyone with experiences there? I have looked at the thread here on where to stay.

Thanks so much- Buffie

Heres a list off the top of my head, hope you have a good trip!

-Other than the maps/schedules in the main entrance, the ONLY other place for maps are janitors. I recommend stocking up on maps when you enter because sometimes custodians are fresh out of them.

-Fastpasses are your friends, but remember once you get one you cannot get another till your scheduled time. BEWARE: if its a busy day some attractions fast pass will get immensly long. Although check stand by times to. On my most recent trip at 10 am the fastpass line for indy started at 5pm, but the stand by time was only 45 minutes.

-The Fantasyland rides get horrendous lines after 10 am to noon. Try to get the following in before lunch time:

Peter Pan
Snow Whites Scary Adventures
Mr Toad
Pinocchio
Dumbo
Alice (not teacups) <- ive seen this ride get 3 hour lines daily

-If you buy snacks from the outdoor carts, you must finish them before you get in line for an attraction, or put em away in your backpack. This especially goes for ice cream or frozen lemonade, we pack the ice cream in dry ice to keep em cold, much to the surprise of guests who don't want "frozen" ice cream.

THERE ARE NO REFILLS ON OUTDOOR FOOD. In the past yes, we did give refills on lemonade and popcorn and such, but now there is a California health code law that prevents us from giving them on the carts. You can scream and yell at the cm all you want but we cannot do it. Several cms have lost their jobs becuase they gave refills to health dept. operatives.

The parade of dreams lasts on hour from start to finish. It includes about 3 stops. Its is almost impossible to get across the parade route during this hour, so if your not going to see one showing, just make sure your on a side of the park that you want to stay in.

-Oh and if you want to avoid trekking for an atm bring plenty of cash for snacks and whatnot (unless you bring your own etc).

hmm thats all for now, hope this post helps. Maybe ill add some more if i remember any :)

Family5LovesDisney
06-06-2005, 02:50 AM

Thanks so much- Buffie\
RIDE MAX! A MUST! Will save you LONG lines and waiting! :)
http://www.ridemax.com/

Tutter
06-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Because of the amount of days you will be spending there and absolute must do is: sit down and watch the world go by. In the Hub at the top of Main Street USA nothing is more enjoyable that sitting down and watching the horse and carriage go by, hear the music and generally just relax.

Another thing that will happen is you will plan to go to something - say a parade, and find that you might miss it unless you rush from somewhere. My advice - miss it. It is far better to spend that time doing what you are doing and catch the parade another day.

The small hidden areas, the small hidden details, and the small hidden moments of time are what make Disneyland so much more than a theme park - so don't miss out on them.

Finally - do everything together. Stand in line together, eat together, go on rides together - none of this 'I am too old to go on that I'll watch'. Do things together you would never normally do.

Earkid
06-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Fastpasses are your friends, but remember once you get one you cannot get another till your scheduled time. ....or after 2 hours. With some rides the fastpasses go quickly so your return time may not be till the evening. You are able to snag a FP for another ride after 2 hours for this reason. Check your fastpass, it will tell you when you can get another.

Another FP tip, even tho they state an hour return window, you can use them anytime after the start time.

Wendi
06-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Ask if you can ride in the nosecone and/or tailcone of the monorail.

Ask if you can "pilot" the Mark Twain.

Have lunch at the Blue Bayou.

Don't miss the fireworks, electrical parade, and Aladdin.

Have a magical time!!!

Hakuna Makarla
06-06-2005, 09:41 AM
One big load of advice I got when I went the first time , relax. You may not get everything in, you may be to stressed trying. Do what you can, and let the rest ride. I did not heed this warning and my trip was terrible. The 3 year old cried non stop and it was way to much on him to try to get much of anything in. He hated waiting in lines and just broke down a lot. You are lucky, you have some onewith you ( hubby) if the little ones get to tired one of you can go back to the motel and let him swim and play, while the others take advantage of the park and all the rides. I wish I had had suport when I took my 2 children, I would have taken the older girl with me on rides and we could have enjoyed it more. If the stree of crowds seems to much on the little ones, either you or hubby can take turns going back to motel to swim play and the other can enjoy the park. Its good to have help!!!!!!!!!!

sjcivilady
06-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Well I would definitely recommend Tom Sawyer's Island for your kids. This let's your kids run around for a couple of hours and get all their energy out of their system. Since it is an island ( :eek ) your kids won't be escaping this DLR Alcatraz very easily so you won't have to worry about your kids going all over the park without your knowledge.
We did "lose" my nephew once while on the island - he took the raft back on his own; we didn't know that....looked all over for him...meanwhile it was time to meet his older brother at the hub...and what do you know, there he was. He had heard us tell his brother what time we were meeting for lunch. So he knew what he was doing -- I can't remember how old he was ?six or seven? definitely not old enough to tour the park on his own. So my advice is just tell your kids you will NOT leave the island without them and they shouldn't leave without you :)
Another attraction I enjoyed a couple years ago, that I had never gotten the chance to do before then - was the Canoe's, so you might try to fit those in if you can.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-06-2005, 12:37 PM
POTC for must do ride!
Fantasmic for must see show!

Enjoy your first trip. I am sure you will be hooked!

John Wayne Airport
06-06-2005, 03:37 PM
And we are staying at Holiday inn anaheim park, anyone with experiences there? I have looked at the thread here on where to stay.

Thanks so much- Buffie
I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort Area and that was new and clean, but I don't think that is the one you are staying at. Holiday Inn has like 3 hotels in Anaheim so I'm not sure about the one your staying at.

buffielynn
06-06-2005, 08:12 PM
POTC for must do ride!
Fantasmic for must see show!

Enjoy your first trip. I am sure you will be hooked!

Thanks- for the advise! My Kyndahl was also born 9/13/01 :) -Buffie

buffielynn
06-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Wow! thanks everyone, for all the advise and ideas. Exspecially the "sit back and take in the world" and " don't stress trying to get everything in". Too bad it's too late to change to hojo:(- Thanks all - Buffie