PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for Trip Reports! Memorial Day weekend edition

DisneylandForever
06-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Wow, has it been a week already? Sorry for lagging. For those of you who enjoy trips reports, here's ours from last weekend. I apologize in advance if it sucks. I'm not very good at writing these. :|

I arrived at CC's house around 9:30 Friday night. I stayed up a little too late messing around with CC and the kids (while Javanod was setting up one of his 10 computers), and I think I crashed around 12:30. My cell phone alarm went off at 4:30, and how it managed to wake me up I'll never know. I got up and some of the kids were already up. We all piled into the van and left around 5am. Javanod drove the first half of the way; I drove the second half. We arrived at Mukta's house just before noon (we made a few stops). I said bye to the CC clan, and not much later Mukta and I headed to AAA. We booked our October WDW trip! That was a lot of fun. After that we ran some errands, and got to the Park around 4.

The first thing we did was get my annual pass. My last one expired in March. Then we watched the 50th parade. It was alright. I've never been a fan of parades, so they rarely impress me. But this one was more enjoyable than the last ones I've watched. Right afterwards we went into the Lincoln building and saw all the "First 50 Years" memorabilia. It was awesome (I still miss Walt's office, BTW). Then we watched that short film hosted by Steve Martin. It was great! Some people said his performance was flat? I agree in a few scenes he was a little subdued (ex: "Donald, you're a little too… animated"), but overall I thought he did a great job.

After the movie we finally got past Main St. and met up with some of my friends. They were on their way out, so we only hung out with them for a few minutes. Before heading to the Jungle Cruise, Mukta and I snagged some FastPasses for Buzz. JC was only a 10-minute wait, and the new effects were cool! Poor Mukta didn't get to see the Piranha, but I did. Our favorite addition was the effect with the Gorillas.

Now the original plan was to go to Knott's Chicken House, and be back in time for the fireworks. But I lagged a bit (I was a little tired from the 4 hours of sleep, but I had nobody to blame but myself), so by the time we got to the restaurant, we realized that we wouldn't have time to do both. Since our anticipation to see the fireworks exceeded our desire for chicken, we decided the Chicken House would have to wait till the next day. We went back to Disneyland and secured a pretty good spot for the fireworks. They were AMAZING. I admit I got a bit teary-eyed. Mukta had read about them ahead of time and was telling me all along how much I was going to love the show. She was right. Best fireworks show to date.

Having missed dinner, we grabbed a quick bite at the Village Haus. Mukta was underwhelmed by the cardboard pizza, and I "enjoyed" my 10 dollar turkey sandwich. Now what were those little pieces of paper burning holes in our pocket? Crap! We were sitting on FastPasses! Albeit they were just for Buzz, but still! We couldn't waste 'em.

Still having a little time before closing, we decided to hit IASW. It was a nice and relaxing way to end our day. Tired, but eager to enjoy the days ahead, Mukta and I journeyed home to get some much-needed sleep.

Mukta
06-05-2005, 10:03 AM
On Sunday we slept in after getting home so late the night before. I don’t think we woke up until after noon. We watched our free WDW planning video. That video is what made me decide to visit the water parks and Disney Quest. It has a lot of info, but we still thought it was cheesy.

We left the house and went to Knott’s Chicken Dinner House. I love that place and we weren’t able to eat there on Saturday. We got into line at 5:10. We were in line for over an hour. That place always has a long line, but the food is worth it. We both had the fried chicken dinner, which included soup, salad, corn, biscuits, chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy and boysenberry pie. DLF didn’t have the pie, but I did! We left there a little after 7.

We got to Disneyland and headed to Main Street where we met up with Nursemelis and Blueckles. It was so great to meet them. We had a lot in common and I could have talked to them forever. They were so friendly and sweet. Javanod and the kids met up with us too. CoasterChickie got lost in the crowd. Nursemelis and Blueckles decided to leave before the fireworks. We stayed at the South end of the hub to watch.

The fireworks are amazing. We watched them 3 times and I got teary-eyed every time. There are no words to describe this show. I feel as though it was made for all of us who find Disneyland to be so magical.

We couldn’t decide what to do after the fireworks. We wanted to ride HM, but the fireworks crowd heading for Fantasmic! made it hard. We decided to ride the Railroad since it was closed the last time we were there. We waited in the long line at the TL station and got on the 2nd train. I was so happy to see the Grand Canyon and dinosaurs again. Everything looked clean and new.

We got off at the NOS station. We arrived as Maleficent was threatening Mickey in Fantasmic! We watched the rest of the show and then hopped onto HM. HM is DLF’s all-time favorite ride. We were very happy to finally see it.

We headed for Pirates, which was a walk-on. We laughed about the new effects being in Jungle Cruise as well as Pirates. We figured that someone discovered a new effect and they tried to force it everywhere possible. We were half expecting to see it in IASW.

We were hungry again so we stopped at the Stage Door Café and had chicken fingers and fries. We thought about racing to Indiana, but we decided to head home. The line for the tram was unbelievable and we didn’t get to the car until well after 12:30. DLF slept in the car and we got home around 1 am.

DisneylandForever
06-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Monday morning we woke up around 9. Mukta wanted to be at the Park by then (opening), but I had to veto that ;) – Instead we were inside DL by 10, and went straight to the River Belle for breakfast. While Mukta waited in the food line, I went to Splash and picked up a couple of FastPasses. Breakfast was pretty good. We had a nice view of the Rivers of America, and the Mark Twain steamed by as we ate. After our meal we picked up FastPasses for Big Thunder, and it was off to Toontown. We pretty much headed straight to Mickey’s House. Mukta always laughs at the gopher in the garden. We took our picture with Mickey, took a pic by the fountain in front of Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin, and left Toontown never to return! 20 minutes is about all I could take.

At 11:25 we were eligible for another FastPass, so we snagged one for Indy. Then we used the ones we had for Splash, and it was cool because that was the first time I had been on since it re-opened. Just before noon we used our FP’s on Thunder, then we finally went to the Tiki Room! That show never gets old. I of course had my Dole Whip, while Mukta had a Dole Whip float. The show was terrific as usual. After the Tiki Room we decided we hadn’t spent too much time in Tomorrowland. To fix that we hit Star Tours and HISTA. By 1:30 we were bouncing around in the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. Why did it have to be tourists?

Now it was 2, and Mukta realized we had yet to visit DCA. Crap! She noticed. “Okay hun let’s go to DCA,” I managed, with gritted teeth. Always getting a FP as soon as I enter either park, we opted for Soarin’ over ToT (which turned out to be the right choice). As Mukta retrieved them, I stood under the engine shooting mist and waited for the CC clan. They showed up in the form of the Blue Raja pushing me from behind (I got her back later). They were headed back to the real Park, so we said a quick “heya” and decided to meet up later. In the Hollywood Backlot Mukta bought me a smoothie, and we shared it, as well as a nice conversation about books. Maybe I should start reading fiction again. Anyways, post-smoothie we went on my favorite DCA ride, ToT. It was a walk-on, which was nice. Then we went into the Animation building, and to our dismay we found out they weren’t showing “One Man’s Dream.” It makes sense I guess, since they use many of the same clips in the Steve Martin movie. So we watched a little of the animation montage, and decided to try our hand at acting. We chose the Beauty and the Beast scene, with a twist. Mukta played the Beast and I played Belle (sorry SD). It came out pretty funny. Mukta wanted me to see Golden Dreams. So we headed over to the Bay Area (yay) and watched it. I liked it! Some parts were a little cheesy, but I liked the message. After the movie we used our FP’s for Soarin’, and headed back to Disneyland.

Phew! Still with me folks? Upon entering DL we headed straight to Splash for a FP. They were all out, so we decided to get another for Indy. As we passed the Haunted Mansion we decided to dip in since there was no line. Plus I don’t need any convincing to ride the HM anyway. After my favorite ride we got our FP’s for Indy, and went into the Disney Gallery. I saw a few books I wanted, but decided to hold off till my July trip. By about 5:15 that smoothie we shared had officially worn off, and we went from not-really-hungry to starving in about two seconds. The Rancho Del Zocallo was calling, and we answered. We re-met up with CC and everybody at the Plaza Inn, and decided to meet up around 8:30ish for the fireworks. I wanted to see the Steve Martin movie again, so Mukta obliged and we headed over. We walked out of the Lincoln building, and noticed it was starting to get a little chilly (Anaheim chilly, not SF chilly), so Mukta bought a sweatshirt at the Emporium.

It was now around 7 and we walked through the Castle (slowly, to hear the music), and snapped a quick pic in the golden Peter Pan ship by the old Villains shop. In order we rode: Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice and the Matterhorn. We still had time to do one more ride before meeting Chickie, so we decided on Storybook Land. Big mistake.

Okay, so the line wasn’t that long, but the loading and unloading of the boats took longer than usual. New CM’s? Maybe. Mukta wasn’t trippin’, and I’m a pretty patient guy myself, so we just waited. Then these little kids (about 5 of them) started roughhousing in line behind us. No problem. Then they kept falling against me and stepping on my feet. It’s cool. I was a kid once. I mean, hey mom could you stop your kids from stepping on me? But, no big deal. So we finally get on the boat, and those lovely youngsters basically surrounded Mukta and I. One of them had a flashlight and kept shining it in Mukta’s face. Two of them got to sit at the front of the boat, and one kept asking the other (literally, over and over) “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?” Mukta sat across from me. I looked over to her so I could smile, but before I could even do that I was attacked by mosquitoes. I swatted away as many as I could, and the lady just kept on narrating even though flashlights were blinding Mukta, kids were screaming at each other, and I was being eaten alive. When Mukta and I finally made eye contact, all we could do was laugh! But, yeah. We’ve had better Storybook Land experiences.

The home stretch. We didn’t emerge from that wonderful experience until about 8:25. We wanted to use our FP’s for Indy, so we figured if we went real quick we’d still meet Chickie and fam in time. But when we got to the ride, even the FP line was outside. So, we headed to the Castle. We saw Javanod and heard Chickie (which is usually the case) right away, and we got great “seats” for the fireworks. CC, Tiff and I ran to the Stagedoor Café for some food, and brought some back for everybody. The fireworks were even better this time, since we had such a great view of the Castle. After the show Mukta and I had about 10 minutes to use our FP’s for Indy before Disneyland closed. So we did, and we ended up meeting up with everybody at the Downtown Disney parking lot around 11. I said bye to Mukta :crying: and we headed home. I had planned on driving some of the way, but I slept pretty much the whole time. Well, until about 2:30am when the van kept running over the lane dividers. Thanks for scaring the crap out of me, Chickie! :p Anyways, we arrived at casa de Chickie at about 5am.

Overall it was an amazing weekend. Thanks for reading our trip report! Also, thanks to CC and fam for the ride, and thanks to Mukta for hangin’ out with me. :)

Mukta
06-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Here are our pictures for those of you who are interested!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?Urefreshkey=1117994318160&collid=258314365203&page=1&sort_order=0

If you click on the first picture, it should let you scroll through the album.

Wendi
06-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Awesome report, I hung on every word... I like your switch off style too. Makes me long for Disneyland... but alas, I must wait... boo hoo. Going to check out your pix now! What are your WDW dates?

Mukta
06-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Awesome report, I hung on every word... I like your switch off style too. Makes me long for Disneyland... but alas, I must wait... boo hoo. Going to check out your pix now! What are your WDW dates?

Thanks Wendi! We are arriving at WDW on October 1st and leaving the evening of the 8th.

pirateabbie
06-05-2005, 10:34 AM
You two are so cute! I loved the picture of the two of you in the golden Peter Pan vehicle. Sorry about those nasty children on the Storyboats. Next time just throw them overboard!

Wendi
06-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks Wendi! We are arriving at WDW on October 1st and leaving the evening of the 8th.

I am trying to work out a trip, if we can go, we'll probably be there until October 1, maybe we can run into each other!!!

OMG, I just got through your pix and they are too cute, I love the ones with the special message, someone here is just gonna LOVE that!!! Great!

blueckles
06-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Glad to finally read your trip report! :p You guys are going on the 17th, right? We all need to meet up again. Mukta~We need to plan a day to go. I told DLF that we would steal you for a trip, but that we would take great care of you. He said we couldn't steal you, but we could "borrow" you. Whatever we do, we need to go! I'm starting to have withdrawls. :)

disney jones
06-05-2005, 11:34 AM
nice report, beautiufl pics, and great avatars! You aren't late - at least you posted one !(cough-CCwhere'syours?-cough)

it's been forever since i've eaten at Mrs. Knotts! Nothing is better than a nice leisurely meal on the RBT patio :).

And DLF, we;'d like to "borrow" Mukta too, please, if you can't make it weekends this summer. :p ! We were there before and after the Javanod/CC Memorial Day trip and regret not seeing all of you again.

rentayenta
06-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Hands down the cutest trip report ever! :D Loved it and the pics!!! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see you both in July.

Emma
06-05-2005, 11:37 AM
You guys are waaaay to cute. :)

--Emma

CoasterChickie
06-05-2005, 12:45 PM
We saw Javanod and heard Chickie (which is usually the case) right away, and we got great “seats” for the fireworks.

Overall it was an amazing weekend. Thanks for reading our trip report! Also, thanks to CC and fam for the ride, and thanks to Mukta for hangin’ out with me. :)

Hey hey hey, do you think I can't see that comment about me?! :mad: ;) :D

The fireworks were even better the second night than the first night...one, because we were in a great spot and two, because I was with my loved ones instead of by myself!! :D (although that perspective on Main Street was cool and the two guys I stood next to were definitely Disney diehards!!)

You're welcome for the ride. Next trip we're leaving at 3pm both ways. I'd much rather drive at that time of day than too early in the morning or too late at night!! :p

PS Cute pictures!!

lisap
06-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Gotta say it--awwww. Glad you had a nice time, and glad CC didn't kill all of driving home at that hour! :eek: Thanks for posting the report.

Hakuna Makarla
06-05-2005, 01:12 PM
I just read the trip report ( both of you are so wonderful) and I loved it!! I hung on every word and wow you guys did so much!! I was so happy to see you are both doing WDW, how exciting and I just am so speechless as to how that trip will go. You both are going to have a magical time!!
Now when I went to look at your pictures ( and you know me and pictures :) ) I saw my name, I was so excited I cried, I did "I cried!!! " How wonderful for you to do this for me, and to make this old bags day! I can not tell you how much it brightened it as I was acually kind of down today. Thank you both, from the bottom of my heart what you did will always be in my heart. To think of someone else far away with a suprise like that was so special to me and, well I am speechless!! Thank you, thank you both for being so kind and generous!!! I am still crying LOL! Can I have some of the pictures :) I want to remember this forever !!!

Earkid
06-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Awwwww, such a great report and love the pics. You two seem like you are so much fun!!

nursemelis374
06-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Great report you guys! I loved the pictures also. I am glad Mukta dragged DLF to see Golden Dreams because I love it! Great meeting you guys and look forward to seeing you again soon!

DisneylandForever
06-06-2005, 09:34 AM
I am trying to work out a trip, if we can go, we'll probably be there until October 1, maybe we can run into each other!!!

OMG, I just got through your pix and they are too cute, I love the ones with the special message, someone here is just gonna LOVE that!!! Great!

Hey Wendi!

We're taking the red eye Friday night, so we'll be there like at 5 or 6am on Saturday the 1st. So yeah that would be great if we could arrange a meeting! Mukta and I already plan on having dinner with as many padders as we can one night.

Wendi
06-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I am trying to work out my dates so I'm there through October 4th... if so, we'll DEFINITELY have a chance to meet!!! Not that we live far away from each other to begin with, I moved from SF to Davis a couple of years ago (sooooo very sad...)

CrazyTrain
06-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Aww! Sounds like a busy but fabulous trip!! :D

Hawaiian Cinderella
06-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks for sharing!!! You guys make a REALLY cute couple!!!!