PDA

View Full Version : HoJos rules (my trip blog... sort of)

Pages : [1] 2

My2kidsrule
06-04-2005, 10:17 PM
You know, I never would have stayed here if not for reading about it on this board. I'm posting now as sportscenter is on and the kids and my wife and sound asleep. We're down here for four days/three nights. Got here around 5 p.m. today (Saturday). The trip down from Sac was great. a little traffic south of the 605 that made it right around 7 hours. Man, the people here are nice. We're in building 2, fourth floor.

Since today was blockout, we went over to DTD for dinner and just to hang out. had house of blues for the first time (which is weird, since I've been like 20 places that have one). Very good on the "Elwood," and the waiter gave us the CM discount instead of the AP discount, so that's 20 percent, which worked out to a free beer for the wife and me. :-)

We checked out the new Star Wars Lego (I get a new office in two weeks, so I NEED the new Jawa cruiser) and just cruised around. While we were walking, my 4 year old son says, "I just want to say, I love everyone in this family, and I want to thank you for bringing us here." I almost cried. (we didn't tell the kids we were coming until Santa Nella)

Went to play video games at ESPNZone. You know, the double points for APs is a great deal when you don't buy much. For 5 bucks, I can get enough for the kids to enjoy, and they have beer holders on the games! :-)

After a cruise through WOD, we walked back to catch the fireworks at 9:20 from the pool at HoJo. It was a gorgeous night. My kids lay snuggled in our laps as we sipped a drink and listened to the (I swear) synchronized swimming team that was there play marco polo. My daughter yelled at the right time, "Look, Aidan! It's a green firework! That's your favorite color!!"

We've had a memorable trip, and we haven't even entered the parks yet. If I can move, I'll post again tomorrow night. Oh, last thoughts... it was NOT packed, and at least three people said it was busy but not unbearable at the park on Saturday. And lastly, if the fireworks are that good from the pool at HoJo, I can only imagine how they are from the hub.

Good night all. I'll try to post tomorrow.

Ian

Disney Vault
06-04-2005, 10:48 PM
While we were walking, my 4 year old son says, "I just want to say, I love everyone in this family, and I want to thank you for bringing us here."
Wow, what a great kid.

junglejoy
06-04-2005, 11:00 PM
We were watching those same fireworks from outside of building 4 at HoJo's tonight. How funny! We love HoJo's too. This is our fourth stay here. I like it better than the GCH but I won't say that too loudly because a lot of people here disagree.

Darkbeer
06-04-2005, 11:10 PM
We were watching those same fireworks from outside of building 4 at HoJo's tonight. How funny! We love HoJo's too. This is our fourth stay here. I like it better than the GCH but I won't say that too loudly because a lot of people here disagree.

Funny, I was at the GCH tonight, had a friend who was spending the night (you can see some photos at my site). The room was about $400 with all the taxes and fees for one night....:eek: It is a nice hotel, but come on, I just stayed at the new Wynn Las Vegas, and that was nice, excellent bed and bedding, large bathroom, etc... and their rack rate is less than $400 a night.

The GCH rooms are small, have standard beds and bedding, and while a "nice" place, just not worth the money IMHO!

I can get a larger room, with an awesome staff for way less than what Disney charges... I am looking forward to stay at HoJo's from July 15th thru the 18th...:fez:

junglejoy
06-04-2005, 11:33 PM
I completely agree, Darkbeer! We were so looking forward to our GCH stay, and it was nice, but other than proximity, HoJo's wins hands down. And we're just not that far - but being able to jump off of GRR, run to the room and change is nice. Other than that, I love HoJo's. We are becoming regulars here... :)

evrythngwmn
06-05-2005, 01:22 AM
We've had a memorable trip, and we haven't even entered the parks yet. If I can move, I'll post again tomorrow night. Oh, last thoughts... it was NOT packed, and at least three people said it was busy but not unbearable at the park on Saturday. And lastly, if the fireworks are that good from the pool at HoJo, I can only imagine how they are from the hub.

Good night all. I'll try to post tomorrow.

Ian

I was in the park tonight and the crowds were kind of interesting. The walkways were crowded but the attractions had 30 min or less wait times. Seemed like there was a lot of just milling around and bumping into people (please step to the side if you stop). I'd blame parades and fireworks but it continued almost up to park closing. A strange phenomena. :eek:

TrekkieDad
06-05-2005, 04:44 AM
Ian, are you still going to be there on Wednesday when we arrive? We're staying at Hojo's, too. (It will be the first time for me.)

rentayenta
06-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Ian, are you still going to be there on Wednesday when we arrive? We're staying at Hojo's, too. (It will be the first time for me.)

TrekkieDad~ please let me know how you liked the HoJo. We will be staying thee for the first time in July.

I can't wait to read the rest of this report! :)

DangerMouse
06-05-2005, 07:44 AM

I AGREE! I just spent Wed night at the GCH b/c I got a killer rate. I absolutely liked the rooms at the HoJo better than the rooms at the GCH. The fridge at the GCH is a joke! You can't even use it! The only part of the GCH that really helped us was the proximity to the parks b/c my dd was recovering from being sick and moving slow.

From now on we will stick with the HoJo and just visit the fireplace room at the GCH! ;)

Nfatuated
06-05-2005, 08:17 AM
I AGREE! I just spent Wed night at the GCH b/c I got a killer rate. I absolutely liked the rooms at the HoJo better than the rooms at the GCH. The fridge at the GCH is a joke! You can't even use it! The only part of the GCH that really helped us was the proximity to the parks b/c my dd was recovering from being sick and moving slow.

From now on we will stick with the HoJo and just visit the fireplace room at the GCH! ;)

I disagree that Hojo's is better than the GCH. ( I am not meaning to quote you directly, hit the wrong button : ) ) . It is after all a Hojo's. While I agree Disney is pricey, GCH is a luxury hotel with luxury amenities. GCH is a classic arts and craft hotel and is easily worth the price. Hojo's is good if you are on a budget, thats all. Lets not kid ourselves and say any Hojo's is better than GCH.

Pat-n-Eil
06-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Hojo's is good if you are on a budget, thats all. Lets not kid ourselves and say any Hojo's is better than GCH.

I have not Stayed at Hojo's (at least not the one in Anaheim), butI would say this statement is probably closer to the truth for most people. People have different tastes, different wants, different desires out of a hotel. Everything I've read about this Hojo's is that it is clean, the staff is great and it is a pleasureable experience to stay there.

It may very well be the "best of the budget motels".

What I look for, and have received from BW Park Place Inn as well as the Park Inn Ahaheim are lower rates, clean rooms, great proximity to the park and responsive staff.

In my case, especially this year, we want the enhanced AAA FastPass - which is only available from a Disney Property stay booked through AAA. In another thead I mentioned how this could be our last family vacation for awhile with my daughter headed to college. So we're doing it up big, including a stay at the GCH which we've stayed at once before. We did Paradise Pier last year and we all found it completely satisfactory and servicable with a great view and nice pool. But having stayed in many motels & hotels down there, we think the GCH is the epitome. I don't care about having a huge room because we don't spend much time there other than to sleep - which leads me to the comfort of the beds.. GCH has some of the most comfortable beds I've ever encountered in any hotel/motel/inn.

I'm not a real hoity-toity type of person. We're a working class family and spending this kind of money on a vacation doesn't come lightly.. but compared to other vacations we could do where airfaire would be prohibitive, and there just isn't time to drive, we like to be able to go first class (our version of it anyway).

So while I have absolutely nothing against Howard Johnson's and think it could well be a wonderful place for lodging, I wouldn't want to mislead anyone reading this board for the first time with talk of HoJo's being as good as a Disney property, especially the GCH.

Perspective is always a nice thing to keep in mind.

Niwel
06-05-2005, 08:41 AM
You know, I never would have stayed here if not for reading about it on this board. I'm posting now as sportscenter is on and the kids and my wife and sound asleep. We're down here for four days/three nights. Got here around 5 p.m. today (Saturday). The trip down from Sac was great. a little traffic south of the 605 that made it right around 7 hours. Man, the people here are nice. We're in building 2, fourth floor.

This board is a haven for "i didn't know that" info. I'm glad you found a hotel idea. I hope you guys are having a blast today -- it is overcast up here -- no idea what is going on in Anaheim, but I hope the weather holds up for you.

TrekkieDad~ please let me know how you liked the HoJo. We will be staying thee for the first time in July.

Renta -- I never knew you were a Hojo's newbie :) When I'm not staying at my favorite hotel (which all of you who have crazy straws know) my second fave is Hojos :) When I was younger, and we would spend the night in Anaheim before going to the park, we stayed at HoJos 2 or 3 times -- and some of our wackiest and fondest memories were of trips there (when I told my family where I was staying they all laughed.)

And I agree about the fireworks -- great viewing, the staff is nice, the rooms are clean, the walk is short and the price is right -- and I look forward to the weekend of the 16th/17th

rentayenta
06-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Renta -- I never knew you were a Hojo's newbie :) When I'm not staying at my favorite hotel (which all of you who have crazy straws know) my second fave is Hojos :) When I was younger, and we would spend the night in Anaheim before going to the park, we stayed at HoJos 2 or 3 times -- and some of our wackiest and fondest memories were of trips there (when I told my family where I was staying they all laughed.)

And I agree about the fireworks -- great viewing, the staff is nice, the rooms are clean, the walk is short and the price is right -- and I look forward to the weekend of the 16th/17th

I'm glad to read this! I respect and trust your opinion so if you like the HoJo-I'm sure I will too!

I am looking forward to that weekend too! I can't wait for us all to watch the fireworks together. Be forewarned: I might cry.

DangerMouse
06-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Well, I was just giving my personal opinion regarding my recent stay. The beds were comfortable at the GCH, however that didn't help me much when I was woken up by a large group of rowdy teenagers at 4 am out in the courtyard below my balcony. The hotel management took it's sweet time quieting these kids down.

When I think of ammenities, I personally put an in-room fridge and microwave on my list. I don't need an exercise facility or spa when visiting DLR. I did understand when booking GCH that I would not get a microwave, however, I was hoping for a usable fridge. And this wasn't the case at the GCH.

I loved the ambiance at the GCH. The lobby is gorgeous and the piano music is delightful. It really enhances a Disney stay. However, I can experience this for free without paying such an enormous rate for a smallish size room.

I am glad that we all are able to state our opinions here so others can benefit from our experience. I just want people to know that in my case, and my opinion, the HoJo is an awesome hotel with large rooms and a great staff. I will save my money and enjoy the ammenities at the HoJo from now on.

DangerMouse
06-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Renta, I cried at the fireworks. It was quite emotional for me!

Darkbeer
06-05-2005, 09:33 AM
I have not Stayed at Hojo's (at least not the one in Anaheim), butI would say this statement is probably closer to the truth for most people. People have different tastes, different wants, different desires out of a hotel. Everything I've read about this Hojo's is that it is clean, the staff is great and it is a pleasureable experience to stay there.

It may very well be the "best of the budget motels".

So while I have absolutely nothing against Howard Johnson's and think it could well be a wonderful place for lodging, I wouldn't want to mislead anyone reading this board for the first time with talk of HoJo's being as good as a Disney property, especially the GCH.

First off, The Howard Johnson's is a Hotel, it has two towers, indoor entrances, a convention room, a gift shop, an arcade, and multiple pools, plus a very well kept grounds area, with a lot of greenery.

There are many hotels in the Anaheim/Orange County area that are better than any of the three Disney owned hotels. Just because you place "Disney" in front of the name of the hotel does not automatically make it better.

Disney still refuses to return shuttle service to the hotels (I presume to help keep down costs and/or force folks to walk thru Downtown Disney), but at the prices they charge.. come on...

The HoJo's room are bigger, all come with a fridge that you can actually place more than one bottle of coke into, most of the rooms come with a nice sized balcony, larger than the GCH ones.

Many folks here at MP made comments about the hotels in the area, and HoJo's beat the Disneyland Hotel to be named the Reader's Top Choice...

http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm050104avp.htm

Marox3
06-05-2005, 10:13 AM

Perspective is always a nice thing to keep in mind.

Absolutely agree! It's not a matter of which is the best, it's what is best for you. Variety is a wonderful thing.....

Love GCH and PPH..... :D

pokeypoke
06-05-2005, 11:39 AM
You can charge high prices for all the glitz and glamore of a hotel but that does not make it better. Sure, It may LOOK better but it all comes down to service, friendliness and cleanliness. I think the GCH is a gorgeous hotel hands down!! However, I did have a few minor set backs which I overlooked because I was caught up in the magic. In general, the hotel staff was friendly with the exception of our waiter at the Storyteller's Cafe (slow with a 'tude). I also had to contact Housekeeping more than once for extra towels which eventually took an hour and a half to receice.

I have been to other high end resorts and hotels in which some were EXCELLENT and some were absolutely AWFUL (rude staff, slow service, dirty rooms/pool). I have been to just as many budget hotels/motels that were horrible. But on the same token, there have been a few budget hotels that were excellent! HoJo's is one of them. I have ALWAYS had a wonderful experience when at HoJo's in Ananhiem. The staff, service and cleanliness made the experience..., NOT the fluff!

Pokey

Pat-n-Eil
06-05-2005, 11:42 AM
First off, The Howard Johnson's is a Hotel, it has two towers, indoor entrances, a convention room, a gift shop, an arcade, and multiple pools, plus a very well kept grounds area, with a lot of greenery.

Sorry, my mistake for not checking out their accomodations and such more. After reviewing the website, it looks very nice. I will reserve judgement of it any further until I stay or experience it more.

That being said - I cannot imagine a better place to stay for a Disneyland trip than the Grand Californian. Whether it is the style of the hotel, the feeling you get from the sights and sounds of the theme park view, it's proximity to my beloved DCA, the convenience of being able to change after a ride or two on Grizzly River Run, the ambiance, the restaurants like Storytellers Cafe on property, the early entry and other perks, I cannot imagine the HoJo or any other hotel/motel in the area being able to compete.

We've done at least 5 other properties - both Disney and non-Disney and there's just nothing like it - in my opinion.

rentayenta
06-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Renta, I cried at the fireworks. It was quite emotional for me!

That'll be me. :) I bawled during the Christmas ones. The snow put me over the edge. Even DH was moved. I can't wait to see them with my kiddies!

Barbossa
06-05-2005, 12:10 PM
I completely agree re: HoJo. In an era where the Customer is always wrong, HoJo is one of the rare businesses who combine a great product with outstanding customer service. Their staff is always helpful and friendly, not because they're told to be that way, but because I really think they enjoy working there. In contrast, Paradise Pier provided 1/10th the satisfaction at almost 3 times the price. We've already booked HoJo for two long weekenders, we'll be there at the end of June.

Christiii
06-05-2005, 12:25 PM
I just love the Hojo!! I got talked out of staying there last trip..but that wont happen again!! I stayed at the Coast Anaheim, and hated it....just too far and a wierd layout for the hotel....cant wait to go back to the Hojo on the 15th of July!! The rates are so high right now tho..but I guess they are everywhere for the 17th :rolleyes:

Darkbeer
06-05-2005, 06:38 PM
But you can also get Early Entry by staying at HoJo's and buying your ParkHopper at the front desk (3 days or more), or just book a Good Neighbor Package...

My friend who stayed at the GCH Saturday night said she had blood on her sheets, and there was mold and mildew in the shower/bath.....

Anyone can eat at Storyteller's Cafe, I have eaten there many times, and never have spent the night at the GCH (though have been in multiple rooms as friends of mine have stayed, and invited me upstairs). Also, the lobby, the fireplaces, the Hearthstone Lounge are also places I go to and hang out, no need to pay the Disney hotel prices to enjoy the public areas....

Mimi's is right across the street from HoJo's (and technically on property, since the HoJo's own all that land from the street back to the parking lot at the east end of the hotel on the south side of the street) and has great food at reasonable prices....

My2kidsrule
06-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Gee, I wasn't trying to start a GCH/Hojo debate. I've stayed at both, and like both for different reasons...

That said, on to Sunday. Sorry, TrekkieDad, we're switching to family accommodations after tonight....

Kids woke up at 6 a.m. That's fine. We ate at Whitewater Snacks and walked right in at 8:10 a.m. Went straight for Buzz. Twice just walking on. I ended up going on FIVE times through the day. I love it, but it was for the kids. never did fastpass, never waited more than 25 minutes. Amazing. The park was busy but never packed. It was a beautiful and fun day. I'll just give the rundown, then a couple thoughts (we're going NOS tomorrow):

Buzz (thrice)
Star Tours (son only)
Astro Orbiters
Matterhorn (my 2 year old daughter's first time! She loved "the lion that went roar")
IASW
Disney RR (first time for the kiddos. did a full loop)
Gadget's Go Coaster (twice)
over to DCA...
Lunch at Taste Pilots (11:40 a.m.)
Playhouse Disney (Jaime blew a kiss to my son! He loved it)
Soarin' (first time for son and me. both loved it a lot. Just never had the chance to do it)
Golden Zephyr
Back to DL
Buzz
Parade of Dreams (Liked the elements of the parade, but the logistics are just weird)
Back to DCA (yeah, I know...)
Block Party Back (WOW!!! That was 25 minutes of a great time. Sat right in front of the Buzz float, which made my son happier than anything)
Muppetvision
Dinner at Jazz Kitchen (mmmm, shrimp scampi)
Back to DL
wife and daughter to the Parade of dreams again (Cinderella touched my daughter's head. After the parade, she told my wife, "Mama. I love Cinderella, and she's my friend now.") then they camped out for the fireworks meanwhile my son and I did
Buzz
Star Tours
Autopia
Then we saw the fireworks from the hub (the kids fell asleep before it) and came back here.

My son put it best while we watched the Pooh portion of the Playhouse Disney show and Pooh asked what Piglet's perfect day was:
"What's your perfect day, Aidan?"
"Hmmm. My perfect day is being at Disneyland with you and Alida and mama."

Nuff said. Oh, last thing... the fireworks are the best entertainment ever at d-land. Ever. Hands down. No contest. Seeing the pointer sisters and Paul revere and the raiders on the river don't come close.

Coming Monday (if I'm alive...), family commitment and the rest of the parks (PLEASE let my son feel like going on POTC this time...)

Night all. I'm finshing this beer, turning off the stupid Michael Jackson news and crashing.

Nfatuated
06-05-2005, 10:13 PM
But you can also get Early Entry by staying at HoJo's and buying your ParkHopper at the front desk (3 days or more), or just book a Good Neighbor Package...

My friend who stayed at the GCH Saturday night said she had blood on her sheets, and there was mold and mildew in the shower/bath.....

Anyone can eat at Storyteller's Cafe, I have eaten there many times, and never have spent the night at the GCH (though have been in multiple rooms as friends of mine have stayed, and invited me upstairs). Also, the lobby, the fireplaces, the Hearthstone Lounge are also places I go to and hang out, no need to pay the Disney hotel prices to enjoy the public areas....

Mimi's is right across the street from HoJo's (and technically on property, since the HoJo's own all that land from the street back to the parking lot at the east end of the hotel on the south side of the street) and has great food at reasonable prices....

Ummmmm....I stayed at Hojo's and experienced mold there as well. You are not going to convince a holder of a B.S. in Hotel Administration and a hotel manager in Las Vegas ( me :~D ) That GCH is outdone by Hojo's. Mimi's just does not cut it, I have one down the street. When I vacation, I want to eat where I cannot eat at home and stay in unique hotels rather than cookie cutter hotels. like someone posted earlier, its great Anahiem has a host of hotels to choose from and fit everyones needs.