PDA

View Full Version : rope drop

db's
06-04-2005, 04:01 PM
My family will be visiting Disneyland for our first time in a couple of weeks and would like to better understand the famous "rope drop". I have a 8 & 5 year old. Would this be worth getting up early?

Thanks!!

bradk
06-04-2005, 04:07 PM
the rope drop really isn't a ceremony. it's made out to be a lot more than what it is.

when the park opens later (usually at 10 am), the process goes like this: they open the gates half an hour before park opening and people are free to roam main street. at the paths to the other lands are ropes staffed by CMs to make sure that nobody enters the other lands prior to park opening. when park opening occurs, they either drop the rope so people can enter the other land or, depending on how busy it is, they may even walk the rope backwards to help control the flood of people.

it's more of a sensation than anything else.

what *might* be worth getting up for, however, is that each morning, they choose a family (or two) to help open the park. you become honorary citizens of disneyland and all that. but they do seem to choose the family very early on (maybe an hour before they open the gates) so you definitely want to be there first thing for that opportunity.

HorizonsA
06-04-2005, 04:13 PM
It's definateley something that should be experienced at least once. It's not a big thing, but getting to be at the front of the crowds and being one of the first people in the Park is pretty cool. Although since Early Admission can be sold to anyone now and not just Disneyland Hotel guests like it used to be and should be, there will already be well over 300+ guests already in the park experiencing Fantasyland and other various attractions. But in this Rope Drop experience, you will get to enjoy up tp 3 hours of uncorwdedness especially in the Critter Country area and New Orleans Square. If you plan to go to Rope Drop, please plan your series of events carefully, wisely, and accordingly.

tinkluver
06-04-2005, 05:13 PM
When I was there last December I got to experince the rope drop -BUT I was on the other side :D I was doing the Walk in Walts Footsteps tour and we got to bypass the crowds. Got a great picture of the castle- with no people in the way. I also got a pic of what it looks like to look back at the rope drop.

(if I could figure out how to place the pictures here I would :D )

Shortiemetoo
06-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Don't forget the flag ceremony...it is very very cool!!! Brings tears to my eyes!

kimbopotamus
06-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Since this is your first visit, I would CERTAINLY be there for the rope drop! I took my 8 year old in April. The gates opened a half hour before the official park opening and the rope was up at the very end of main street, right before the hub. It was super exciting!!! It really builds the anticipation, being able to be 'in' and see the castle! Then the hush right before 10, 9, 8,.....drop RUN!! No, just kidding WALK. For us, it really IS a ceremony!

mkcbunny
06-04-2005, 06:00 PM
It's definitely worth it. And it's best to do it on a day that does not offer EE. That way, the preak really is empty on the other side and you are one of the first people in the park. There's nothing like the crown cheering and waiting those last few minutes to be let in. It's delightful. Plus, you can eat a chocolate-covered strawberrry while you wait. :)

Just figure on the gates opening a half hour before official park opening and get there about another 40 minutes in advance of that. It's well worth it.

SilverStyle
06-04-2005, 11:19 PM
We do that ovet at ToT, first family to ride. Pretty nice magical moment.

evrythngwmn
06-05-2005, 01:32 AM
If I were more of a morning person I might consider doing it as a guest. That being said I've worked the rope drop as a CM. While waiting for that half hr to pass I talk to the guests and share info and gear them up more for the morning. I value those experiences interacting with the guests when working the rope drop.

AlbertaMinnie
06-05-2005, 06:20 AM
Really? You like it? We did it once only, arriving very early at the gates and walked directly down main street to be as close to the rope and the CM as possible. We started out beside the rope but there were sooooo many rude people there who were jostling and jockeying for a front of the line position that I was afraid my kids were going to get hurt. Therefore, we just let them past us and we ended up back a bit. Then when the rope dropped, it was like taking your life in your own hands! I picked up my kids so they wouldn't get trampled.!

With all your positive comments, I think we'll consider trying it again, but will just stay back and perhaps enjoy a coffee inside the cafe until the rope actually drops. Does the announcement over the loudspeaker reach all the way down main street or is it just near the hub?

RStar
06-05-2005, 06:58 AM
We do that ovet at ToT, first family to ride. Pretty nice magical moment.

So they Have a rope drop at DCA as well?

And Disneynutso, the crowding may be a bit disconserting, but if your kids were in front so they wouldn't get trampled, older so they can take care of themselves better, or not there, you would have a much better experience.

mkcbunny
06-05-2005, 10:01 AM
You can also hang in the shops, off the crowd a bit. There are always a few pushy folks, but overall, we've generally experienced polite guests in the crowd.

Yes, you can hear the announcements further down Main St.

Disneyfun
06-05-2005, 10:09 AM
I was going to do a rope drop last week. But I got so involved in the band and Alice and the Mad hatter in the front We missed it!
But I will do it one day!!!!

SilverStyle
06-05-2005, 12:29 PM
So they Have a rope drop at DCA as well?

And Disneynutso, the crowding may be a bit disconserting, but if your kids were in front so they wouldn't get trampled, older so they can take care of themselves better, or not there, you would have a much better experience.

Yep, we dont want the mad stampeed of people going down hollywood. So all the opening bellhops help with the rope drop. Its amazing sight to see like 15 bellhops with trenches walking toward the crowds.

lisap
06-05-2005, 12:31 PM
RE: pushy crowds. Head up through the shops to the Photo Shop at the top of Main Street. When we do rope drop, we are normally the only family there waiting at the door looking across to Coke corner (not the doors leading to the Plaza Inn.) From that spot you can see the CM flip the Welcome to Disneyland switch inside the shop, and have a clear view of the hub and castle without anyone tramping on your toes.

We don't really race to any rides, but it's a ritual for us to be in that spot when the rest of the park opens up.

AlbertaMinnie
06-05-2005, 01:13 PM
RE: pushy crowds. Head up through the shops to the Photo Shop at the top of Main Street. When we do rope drop, we are normally the only family there waiting at the door looking across to Coke corner (not the doors leading to the Plaza Inn.) From that spot you can see the CM flip the Welcome to Disneyland switch inside the shop, and have a clear view of the hub and castle without anyone tramping on your toes.

We don't really race to any rides, but it's a ritual for us to be in that spot when the rest of the park opens up.

Thanks for the info, we'll be sure to try it again. We must have looked funny that first time....rather than determining which ride to go on first, we were cowering in a corner!! ha ha But now look out....cause I know what to expect!!!! That will be me.....definately hiding in the Photo Shop from now on! :D

UncleGDogWord
06-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Maybe it is just nostalgia, but it seemed to me that the rope drop was more of event back in the 70's and 80's. I remember hearing the spiel and then bang of like a rocket to BTRR.

Man I miss it and Sunkiss Orange Juice!

pisces
06-06-2005, 07:04 AM
Every single time I visited the Park, during my special week there, they opened at 8:00 am. I never saw any rope or flag ceremony. The only thing I saw was everyone running down Main Street. Never was able to take my leisurely morning stroll down Main Street, without being trampled.

For DCA, the stated time for opening is 10:00 am. If you are a hotel guest, and it seemed to me that meant any of the on-property hotels, DCA opens (at the GC gate only) ....for a special tour at about 9:15, and a special first ride of the day on Soarin at 9:30. Then just the Condor Flats area opens at 9:45, for everyone, until 10:00 am.....when the whole DCA opens.

Confusing.

bradk
06-06-2005, 07:06 AM
the aforementioned flag ceremony refers to the lowering of the flag which is a scheduled event. on occasion, the marching band performs, but i believe most of the time, it's just a recording.

and as i mentioned, the rope drop takes place in DL only on days that the park opens later. your experience sounds unfortunate as when i went on a sunday (off season, mind you), it was pretty clear for me for a while.

as for DCA, since the park almost always opens at 10, they do open sunshine plaza and i believe even condor flats is opened for everyone at 9:30. i don't know if soarin' is available immediately at 9:30 (although i've heard it was) and I noted security at the roped portion of other areas even advising people to head to soarin'.

Barbossa
06-06-2005, 08:44 AM
The rope drop is definitely a cool thing. I'd see it every time if I could drag my butt out of bed early enough to get the kids ready and be there in time. :geek: