PDA

View Full Version : DLR Ejection

Pages : [1] 2

Barbossa
06-02-2005, 11:25 AM
I almost forgot about this one: In 1984 I was booted from DLR for wearing one of those "Come Ona Wanna Lei U" T-Shirts. The second I walked through the turnstiles a CM (if they called them that back then) shoved a new ticket in my hand, told me that my T-Shirt was not allowed, and booted me from the park. :eek: Fortunately I had my duffle in the car so I put on a less controversial shirt and re-entered the park.

I don't have the guts to wear my Save Disney T-Shirt to the park, lest the same guy throw me out again.

Any similar experiences?

bradk
06-02-2005, 11:26 AM
i actually saw a guy in DL with a shirt with a particular word on the back and it was not an advertisement for French Connection UK. I couldn't believe it, but I didn't really care either.

06-02-2005, 11:30 AM
1. A Wanna Lei U t-shirt is not equivalent to a Save Disney t-shirt.

2. The DLR is for everyone to feel comfortable and happy.

Barbossa
06-02-2005, 11:35 AM
1. A Wanna Lei U t-shirt is not equivalent to a Save Disney t-shirt.

My Save Disney shirts says "Disappointed" in classic Disney font. I have a feeling DLR management might not want that shirt in the park (I really don't have any desire to wear it there anyway, these days I'm pretty happy with DLR...except for the food.).

disneyperson
06-02-2005, 11:39 AM
A friend of ours was asked to leave DL or change his shirt two summers ago. He was wearing a long sleeved black mesh shirt. No logo. He changed into a white pirate shirt that he had in his car.

Pat-n-Eil
06-02-2005, 11:55 AM
2. The DLR is for everyone to feel comfortable and happy.

Here's a paradox of modern society. The guy with the bad word on his shirt may offend lots of other people who can read it - thus making them feel uncomfortable and not happy.

But ask the guy to remove it now and he may claim that he can't be comfortable and happy in another shirt. Seeing as the "majority rules" is old school and doesn't represent the repressed and the minority view in this society, what is someone to do?

Of course, if Disneyland still has the "right to refuse service" mentality and perhaps a sign up somewhere, then they could get away with that.

But if I am playing devil's advocate here - I will admit that someone who's got eyebrow, tongue, cheek and nose piercings with unnatural hair and extreme clothes on makes me feel uncomfortable and unhappy (except when I'm laughing at them from afar).. Can Disney refuse entry to someone who is merely dressed differently? I think there's probably a line between visible profanity on a shirt and just a different style of dress..

06-02-2005, 12:05 PM
I think there's probably a line between visible profanity on a shirt and just a different style of dress..

Agreed.

bradk
06-02-2005, 12:27 PM
yes, disney can refuse someone based on how they're dressed or what makeup they have on or the length of their hair and they have.

although it's a slightly more tolerant world now for the most part, at least from the corporate perspective, so it'd be in poor taste to do it nowadays. but they still could.

Sora62
06-02-2005, 01:21 PM
no sorry

PapiBear
06-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Back in '89 when I was in my heavy metal days, I used to wear a jacket with a variety of pins and buttons on them with assorted slogans and sayings ("Yuck Fou!", "I'm Surrounded By Idiots", "H.o.r.n.y. All the Time", photos of metal bands, etc.) I remember being folksily corralled by a couple of the old school security team (gray haired guys), and being told that "hey there, buddy, gonna have ta ask ya ta make some changes for us if ya don't mind....let's see here....ya can't wear this button in the park, and this "H.o.r.n.y." button'll have-ta go too, and...say, why don't you just take all these buttons off? We wantcha ta have a good time, but, ya know, some folks are kinda sensitive and everything....ya mind?" And I was in an amiable mood, so I did, I took them off my jean jacket (with the old Guns 'n Roses "robot rape" artwork on the back), and my companions (two Japanese girls) and I were admitted to the park.

By the time we got to the Hub, those buttons were back on my jacket again; the usual youthful rebellion thing.

I was never bothered the rest of the day. Had a good time too.

Opus1guy
06-02-2005, 03:26 PM
When Tokyo Disneyland first opened, they didn't even allow anyone to enter that park that was wearing any sort of clothing that endorced any (non-Disney) company or product!

Wearing a Pepsi Cola T-Shirt? Wearing an Audi baseball cap? You were asked to leave and/or change/remove the items!

Doubt they still do that these days, but they did many years ago.

pisces
06-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Wasn't there a time when guys couldn't have mustaches if they were employed at the Resort?

They can do anything they want. It's private property.

But, fashions change, and there is a demand for good employees, so I'd think they are a little more tolerant than before.

The main thing, regarding guest attire, is that they enjoy taking your money, no matter what you look like or wear.

bradk
06-02-2005, 04:02 PM
the no facial hair rule was in effect because the company felt that it made the cast members look less child-like and would be in contrast with the company's philosophies

for whatever reason, they do allow moustaches now (probably a union thing), but the catch is it has to be full grown. so you can't grow one while working at the park.

disneyperson
06-02-2005, 04:19 PM
But if I am playing devil's advocate here - I will admit that someone who's got eyebrow, tongue, cheek and nose piercings with unnatural hair and extreme clothes on makes me feel uncomfortable and unhappy (except when I'm laughing at them from afar)..
ha, ha, you really don't want to go to DL on August 28

AVP
06-02-2005, 04:28 PM
the no facial hair rule was in effect because the company felt that it made the cast members look less child-like and would be in contrast with the company's philosophiesIIRC, Walt thought that men with facial hair would evoke images of scary, dirty carnies.

for whatever reason, they do allow moustaches now (probably a union thing), but the catch is it has to be full grown. so you can't grow one while working at the park. That restriction was lifted around the time that the resort realized they had to hire 5,500 people to staff DCA, Downtown Disney and the Grand Californian Hotel. Since mustaches are common among Hispanic men, they realized that they were alienating an entire potential labor pool who would refuse to shave their mustaches.

AVP

The Mouse Is Back
06-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Hair, makeup, clothing in general, none of this bothers me. But graphics, buttons etc. INTENDED to be offensive are a different matter altogether.

If you're going to DL with the goal of *shocking* people, I submit that you're in the wrong place. Case in point - the t-shirt I saw recently (in Fantasyland, no less) of a male and female skeleton engaged in a sexual act. Hey, how about growing up before you inflict yourself on the rest of us trying to have an enjoyable day in a FAMILY PARK?

JMO, of course. :)

-Allegra-

PragmaticIdealist
06-02-2005, 04:47 PM
A fine restaurant or a fine hotel would enforce a dress code.

Disneyland considers itself to be an establishment of those standards, so it has a dress code, too.

It's more a question of tastelessness and whether or not the way a Guest dresses is competing with the Show.

I love seeing old footage of Disneyland showing men walking around in jackets, ties, and fedoras and women walking around in dresses and high-heels. These people even used the sidewalks on Main Street. :eek:

Sometimes, I still see Guests dressed well, and I always try to do my part, too, especially during the holiday season when the weather is nicer for wearing more clothes.

I know that Guests to Tokyo Disneyland dress-up, and I think doing so is only fitting. People used to dress well to go to the movies, and they still dress well for the symphony, the opera, and the theatre.

Why should Disneyland deserve any less?

Incidentally, facial hair was only allowed around the time the new park opened because Disney was experiencing a shortage in staffing. Before that time, the uniform grooming policy for Disneylanders did not allow facial hair mainly because different styles of facial hair do not fit with individual areas in The Magic Kingdom. One can't very well wear just a soul-patch, for example, on Main Street, U.S.A.

I also think there may have been a conscious effort to achieve as clean-cut a look as possible to distinguish Disneyland from amusement parks and carnivals with their surly and unkempt staffs. I beg to differ, though, with bradk's assertion that Disney wants its people to somehow look more child-like or that facial hair is somehow contrary to The Company's operating philopsophies. Walt Disney, himself, wore a mustache.

In 2001, the mustache was considered neutral enough to fit on Main Street, U.S.A. and in Tomorrowland, Frontierland, etc., so the policy did change in order to attract more eligible applicants for "immigration and naturalization" to The Magic Kingdom.

Neutrality is the key word. Eyeglasses, for example, also have to be of a neutral style for Disneyland Hosts and Hostesses.

Neutrality is probably a good thing for Guests to also strive-for in the way that they dress since the less noticeable they are the less they will detract from the Show.

bradk
06-02-2005, 05:00 PM
the staffing may have been the reason for the lift of the facial hair ban, but just as a point of interest, it was enacted and reduced across the board, not just at DLR.

as far as my understanding of why it was banned to begin with, it was just something i had heard years ago, but I guess it wasn't true (although you have to admit it has some credence). but, yes, every reference i see now refers to the idea that in the 50s, facial hair was seen as evil.

which doesn't really fare any better for Walt. regardless of the reason for the ban, he would have been against the grain anyway, so to speak. so if the reason was to prevent the people from working at DL to look 'grungy' or whatnot then he must have appeared somewhat grungy himself. if it was a matter of attemping to look young, Walt would have been an exception anyway since he would have been more of a father figure to everyone. plus the man had tobacco and lingerie shops in the park, so he couldn't have fancied himself that much of a child.

not to mention I'm not even sure Walt could have been considered a CM. It would be my understanding (and I hope I'm not wrong yet again) that employees for WDI, as an example, never had such requirements.

The Mouse Is Back
06-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Lingerie shops in the Park?

I don't think so, but if you'd care to elaborate...and when the Tobacconist was in DL, smoking was the norm rather than the exception. I don't see how this reflects on Walt's childlike personality.

-Allegra-

bradk
06-02-2005, 05:08 PM
smoking the norm for children? in a place where one never grows up? i don't really have a problem how they continued to sell tobacco products behind the counters, but it just doesn't seem to fit in to the disneyland feel, but i guess that's just me.

the Intimate Apparel Store by Hollywood Maxwell /aka/ the Wizard of Bras.

The Mouse Is Back
06-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Oh, yeah, I remember that place.

Main Street was originally designed to be an approximation of an actual main street in an American small town. If you'll recall, there was one of those ladies' apparel shops in Mayberry, too.

I'd rather go back to those days than the ever-present Disney plushes and princess junk we have on Main Street USA today. Anyone remember the candles? The magic shop? Better yet, the Wurlitzer shop? And all those were stores you'd actually see on a typical "Main Street".

From the context in your post, I was expecting a revelation about some kind of Frederick's type establishment.

-Allegra-

kisroo
06-02-2005, 06:44 PM
I sometimes wonder if I'll be booted for my Tink tattoo and my Pooh tattoo.... :eek: ;)

I completely agree on obscene clothing. Now, can't we do something about low-slung jeans and too short shorts? Muscle shirts, high heels....oh, don't get me started. I'd be a clothing nazi! :~D

;)

rentayenta
06-02-2005, 06:49 PM
I sometimes wonder if I'll be booted for my Tink tattoo and my Pooh tattoo.... :eek: ;)

;)

Well, as long as you are wearing a shirt, they shouldn't be able to see either. ;) :~D

kisroo
06-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Well, as long as you are wearing a shirt, they shouldn't be able to see either. ;) :~D

:eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!
Hey...watch it missy! Lest we start banning those with Bloody Mary breath! :~D

:D

you know you're really making me want to force Mr kisroo to take a "romantic" weekend to DLR rather than Bend for our anniversary in October!

rentayenta
06-02-2005, 07:14 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!
Hey...watch it missy! Lest we start banning those with Bloody Mary breath! :~D

:D

you know you're really making me want to force Mr kisroo to take a "romantic" weekend to DLR rather than Bend for our anniversary in October!

You know I got nothing but love for ya! :D

I doubt the little mister is going to go for hanging out with a bunch of hot drunk chicks for your anniversary. ;)