PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer's Workshop (DCA)

yellowrosedtxn
06-02-2005, 10:55 AM
On my "things to see/do" list, I have down the Scorcerer's Workshop in DCA. Do they still have this? I also had down "Who Wants to be a Millioniare" and the "Superstar Limo" only to find they no longer have these. I don't want to search all over for it and then find out they no longer have it.

Thanks for the info!

bradk
06-02-2005, 10:59 AM
yes, the sorcerer's workshop still exists, as does the beast's library which follows it. you should also try to catch a showing of 'drawn to animation' in the animation building as well if you can, for a brief, mildly amusing time

yellowrosedtxn
06-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks. I wanted to do all of that, but I wanted to make sure that the Sorcerer's Workshop was there.

HydroGuy
06-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks. I wanted to do all of that, but I wanted to make sure that the Sorcerer's Workshop was there.
OK, what is Sorcerer's Workshop? I've never heard of it.

If I take my kids will they learn how to turn me into a frog? Better yet, turn lead into gold?

bradk
06-02-2005, 12:29 PM
it's part of the animation building. it has a lot of things to play with that demonstrate animation including letting you draw some of your own i believe (on paper). it's nothing spectacular in my opinion, but what a lot of people seem to love is the beast's library that it leads into which has a bunch of stations that are usually all taken even on a slow day that help you identify which disney character you are.

HydroGuy
06-02-2005, 01:25 PM
it's part of the animation building.
We plan to go to the animation building in August, and have not been there before. I had assumed the animation building was something linear that you progressed through, but it sounds like it is multi-faceted with numerous avenues to pursue.

This is a hard question to answer, but I will ask it anyway. How long should one plan to spend there when accompained by four kids?

Since you didn't answer the lead into gold question, I assume you learned how to do that on your recent trip but are keeping it secret so you can pay for your next trip to DLR!

bradk
06-02-2005, 01:33 PM
lead into gold is really easy using nuclear fission, but the cost of the process greatly outweighs the benefit, not to mention too much gold will devalue it as a whole.

also, gold is passe. there are much more precious elements to horde.

as for the other question, it's really not that big at all. there's a film that plays in the main area that might entertain you, but i don't think anyone watches it start to finish, it's mostly clips, no narration or anything i don't think (it's just a big, roomy, airconditioned place).

the drawn to animation show i think is about 15 minutes, you can almost walk through the first bit of the sorcerer's workshop, maybe spend 5 minutes there. probably will spend another 10-20 minutes depending on how busy the day is in the beast's library. there's another section where you can karoake over animated clips and they have different movies there, so if you do everything, maybe another half an hour or so with that. and the other big time consumer is the meet & greet that goes on with the princesses or whomever happens to be there at the time, depending on the line, that could be time consuming.

and all that aside, there are some very neat displays regarding a few films and characters.

so all in all, maybe an hour to even two hours depending on how involved you get in the place, or maybe even just 20 minutes if you don't.

Pat-n-Eil
06-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Isn't there still a movie about Walt Disney in there? It seems we saw that either last year or the year before..

BooBooFett
06-02-2005, 01:48 PM
I had assumed the animation building was something linear that you progressed through, but it sounds like it is multi-faceted with numerous avenues to pursue.

This is a hard question to answer, but I will ask it anyway. How long should one plan to spend there when accompained by four kids?

Since you didn't answer the lead into gold question, I assume you learned how to do that on your recent trip but are keeping it secret so you can pay for your next trip to DLR!

A Must See in DCA! As mentioned earlier, try to go when it's not crowded, so you and your kids can participate in all the hands-on exhibits.

These are in 3 rooms - The first is a bit like Leonardo da Vinci's workshop and features interactive devices that show the earliest origins of the art & science of animation. The second room simulates undersea caves and has hands-on attractions, such as doing a cartoon voice over. The last room is the Beast's library, where you can take the Disney character personality test.

If your kids get very involved, you might spend as much as 30 - 45 minutes, not including the film presentation in the screening room (not my favorite part, but a nice rest, if you've been on your feet all day) If it's jam packed and the kids' eyes are glazing over, grab a hot dog across the street and head over to the Bugs Life 3D movie to see animation in action!

As for the limo ride, it has - mercifully - been closed and is being replaced by a Monsters Inc attraction. I really love all things Disney, but honestly- consider yourself lucky to have missed it!

bradk
06-02-2005, 02:27 PM
i don't recall a movie about walt disney, no. it's my understanding there was another room that used to show a film, but it's been demolished and will likely be the new home of turtle talk once it's brought to DLR.

splashmtngurl
06-02-2005, 02:31 PM
when we were there in april, everything in teh animation building was open. The sorcer's workshop was fun and so was the beasts library, ursulas grotto (name?) was awesome too, our family loved it!

the movie about wlat disney titled "One Mans Dream" was showing when we were there in april. As far as i knew, turtle talk with crush, hasnt even been confirmed yet.

PragmaticIdealist
06-02-2005, 02:33 PM
The Disney Animation pavillion is one of the major Attractions at D.C.A. The lobby is filled with a collage of various projection screens that show scenes from many classic films in various stages of completion. I find it quite emotional, especially because of the incredible music that is part of the legacy of Disney animation. I really hate to see digitally-animated stuff, though, alongside the animation of hand-drawn and sometimes hand-painted illustrations that one normally associates with Disney.

Ever since The Walt Disney Company decided to abandon making animated features, the Disney Animation pavillion is kind of depressing. But, otherwise, you should experience it, if only to see what has been lost because of the idiotic, imbecilic, moronic Eisner. (Everyone boo in unison now.)

Incidentally, "One Man's Dream" is being replaced by "Turtle Talk, with Crush". The only good thing about that move is that we won't have to be subjected to Eisner on film anymore.

splashmtngurl
06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
;) wow idealist, you sure dont seem to like eisner! but hey, your not the only one!

Osky
06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
The one crappy thing about the animation building is that they hang a rope across the exit with a sign that reads something like "show in progress, please exit this way" and it directs you through the gift shop "Off the Page". I understand that they want traffic through the store, but that is just bad. You can clearly see that it is the exit.

splashmtngurl
06-02-2005, 02:37 PM
but what is so difficult about going through the gift shop?

Osky
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
but what is so difficult about going through the gift shop?

When going into DCA, we usually hit Off the Page first, since it is the first thing you come to after Playhouse Disney. Then after coming out, we go into the animation building. No biggie. I don't know why it bugs me so much. Maybe it is the wording. Maybe I am just weird. BTW, it can be difficult to manage some parts of that building with a stroller. It can also be difficult to get out through Off the Page with a stroller if it is busy.

PragmaticIdealist
06-02-2005, 02:50 PM
;) wow idealist, you sure dont seem to like eisner! but hey, your not the only one!

Yeah, it was especially ironic that the man who killed Disney animation was hosting a film about Walt Disney in an attraction about Disney animation.

I still look at those scenes from the films of the not-so-distant past and wonder how in the world anyone could have ever made the decision to close the Disney animation studio.

Michael Eisner deserves whatever derision he receives.

I am so glad that the Save Disney campaign had an effect in removing Eisner from office, but I am still wary of Robert Iger. Even if Iger proves himself a decent C.E.O., I still will be voting my shares in The Company against the re-election of all the Directors on the Board during the next annual meeting.

Disney Vault
06-02-2005, 03:23 PM
I really love the whole animation building. It couldn't have been done any better.

HydroGuy
06-02-2005, 04:46 PM
so all in all, maybe an hour to even two hours depending on how involved you get in the place, or maybe even just 20 minutes if you don't.
Thanks to you and others for the feedback. I had better plan for 2 hours there. I am looking forward to seeing it.