PDA

View Full Version : Which park do you think is better?

Pages : [1] 2 3

R.D.
06-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Out of DL and DCA which one do you think is better?
Or do you think they are the same?

Hakuna Makarla
06-02-2005, 09:05 AM
PSSSST )))))))))))DCA

Karla runs like mad out of here..................................

Leap for Joy
06-02-2005, 09:09 AM
I love them both, but only Disneyland makes me teary eyed when I enter the gates.

hlbtimes2
06-02-2005, 09:11 AM
I havent spent enough time in DCA to really give it a review. Our time there was limited on our last trip. From what I did see and do, I like the park, but I dont love it like I love DL. But, I far from hate it, which I know some people do. I think over time it will become the park people were hoping for. It's just going to take time, and money.

blueckles
06-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Though I do enjoy DCA from time to time (LOVE TOT :D), I'm a good ol' DLR girl at heart. Call me nostalgic ;)

bradk
06-02-2005, 09:28 AM
my opinion really hasn't changed since visiting them, DCA is nice, but it's not your typical disney fare (in fact, i really despise the fact that they're turning it into pixarland). could use more attractions, but i guess with DL next door, there's no real justification given the current lack of theming.

DL on the other hand is just absolutely surreal. it really just requires you to take a moment and realize that each next step you take has the potential of instantly taking you to another place and time. after spending half an hour at the blue bayou and then walking out into the daylight and realizing i actually had forgotten i was in the middle of a theme park.

for me, the one thing i can't let go of is that within 10 minutes of stepping into the park, there were shows going on for ME and I can say that because there was absolutely noone else around except for me and the performers. i could never see that happening at DCA or anywhere else really.

between the two, i don't think there's any comparison.

mkcbunny
06-02-2005, 09:37 AM
I really enjoy DCA and appreciate that it's different from DL, but there's just nothing like the magic of DL. And that includes the Magic Kingdom at WDW. DL is the original, and its just special. [She says, getting all misty-eyed.]

I am still not sure why so many people are so anti-Pixar. They make great movies that appeal to all ages, just like Disney classsics. And it makes sense to incorporate characters that people love into the parks. Pixar hasn't made a bad one yet, whereas, Disney animation can be really hit or miss these days. And I'd rather have DCA full of ixar characters than, say, Hilary Duff or other live-action Disney teen stars of the moment.

bradk
06-02-2005, 09:41 AM
ok, first, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Hilary Duff. nothing. absolutely nothing.

nothing.

second, i don't hate pixar. what i hate is disney's attempt at trying to bring a crowd over by cheap and easy tactics when it goes to completely destroy the entire point of the park to begin with. it's supposed to be a tribute to california. maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but to have to patch it by making bug's land was a mistake and now it just snowballed into anything pixar.

i guess it's better they're able to overload dca with 'pixar pals' than DL, but nontheless, open a 3rd gate then. don't bastardize what you set out to do when not only did your plan not work in the first place, but your band-aids aren't doing you any favors either.

CoasterChickie
06-02-2005, 09:43 AM
I think of them as completely different parks and I love both of them for different reasons!!

We spent a lot of time in DCA on our last trip, but when we finally went over to DL it seemed especially magical this time!! Everything about it was so great for the 50th!! It was really truly how I remember DL being when I was a kid!!

Pat-n-Eil
06-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Anyone on these boards knows I'm a huge proponent of DCA. I love that park and I think it deserves respect and visits...

But Disneyland is still better. It has more to offer and some great attractions. Not just rides, but more shows and shops. Who ever would think they'd build something BETTER than Disneyland next door to Disneyland?

I do think, however, as kids get older they begin enjoying DCA more and more..

disneyperson
06-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Disneyland is my Happiest Place On Earth.
Can barely stand to step foot in DCA. Really dislike it, a lot.

Darkbeer
06-02-2005, 10:33 AM
My raitings of SoCal Parks...

1. Disneyland
2. Universal Studios Hollywood
3. Knott's Berry Farm
4. Six Flags Magic Mountain
5. SeaWorld San Diego
6. DCA
7. LEGOLAND

Barbossa
06-02-2005, 11:18 AM
DL kicks DCA's butt. :eek:

sleepyjeff
06-02-2005, 11:22 AM
I don't "hate" dca and can say that nearly every minute I am in the lesser park is still an enjoyable minute.....but it has no magic and it is plain to see that those who built it did so on the cheap. Ive seen more love and sweat go into the building of small regional parks(such as the Enchanted Forest in Salem, Oregon) with much smaller budgets then what went into dca. Although it seems like a joke I am not kidding when I say that I really miss the old parking lot and find dca almost an Insult to Disneyland....it should never have been built where it was built. The thing that angers me the most about dca is that its budget is tied in with Disneylands and until recently Disneyland was allowed to slide into decay because the lesser park was sucking up all the money.

Imagine if they left the Parking lot and instead plussed Disneyland to the max with the money they spend on dca:

Tower of Terror could still have been built(put it in Toon Town with a Mickey and the Beanstalk theme)

Grizzly River Run with a few tweaks in layout could have been placed at the North end of FrontierLand and where the Festival Arena is.

Soarin could have been squezed into Tomorrowland maybe where HISTA is now or even in the footprint of Inoventions.

SkyWay, PeopleMover, and Keelboats even might have had enough money to bring these back.

A Rescuers or Little Mermaid attraction, with all of that money, could have been done in the old Motor Boat lagoon quite nicely.

The Monorails would have been replaced by now too.

The new special effects at Pirates; things like that could have been done all over Disneyland with all the money that was wasted on dca.

So, in short, I enjoy dca when I am there but still would rather they had not built it and instead made Disneyland even more magical :D

PragmaticIdealist
06-02-2005, 11:32 AM
what i hate is disney's attempt at trying to bring a crowd over by cheap and easy tactics when it goes to completely destroy the entire point of the park to begin with. it's supposed to be a tribute to california. maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but to have to patch it by making bug's land was a mistake and now it just snowballed into anything pixar.

i guess it's better they're able to overload dca with 'pixar pals' than DL, but nontheless, open a 3rd gate then. don't bastardize what you set out to do when not only did your plan not work in the first place, but your band-aids aren't doing you any favors either.

Amen.

Walt Disney invented the theme park, not the whatever-is-popular-at-the-moment park. If the Pixar Pals or most any other fictional characters are included at D.C.A., they only should be used in a supporting way such as when Wilbur hosted "All Because Man Wanted to Fly", the P.S.A. pre-show to Circle-Vision 360.

The "a bug's life" elements in Bountiful Valley did not need to overtake the entire area. I want Bountiful Valley back, and I want the "a bug's life" characters to not steal the focus away from California, itself. I also would prefer not to see the Main Street Electical Parade at D.C.A. or find Ariel has taken residence near the pier or Route 66.

These are the decisions of M.B.A.'s, not storytellers.

pboeoahr
06-02-2005, 12:37 PM
I have only visited DCA once and from a newbie perspective the park is okay. There are some great attractions, but it is not a park that I can spend a whole day walking around.

DL on the other hand, I could spend DAYS enjoying the attractions, stores, shows, etc...

I agree that over time (and with some money, LOTS :eek: ) DCA might become something worth spending DAYS.

For now I'll spend limited time at DCA and the rest of the week at DL. :fez:

Disneyfun
06-02-2005, 01:33 PM
ok, first, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Hilary Duff. nothing. absolutely nothing.

nothing.

second, i don't hate pixar. what i hate is disney's attempt at trying to bring a crowd over by cheap and easy tactics when it goes to completely destroy the entire point of the park to begin with. it's supposed to be a tribute to california. maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but to have to patch it by making bug's land was a mistake and now it just snowballed into anything pixar.

I bet this is exactly how some peole felt when Disney Him self set up a circus tent out Side of Disenyland.
Disney has always brought in what was popular at the time. MIckey mouse club,. movies what ever. . . So Bringing Pixar in to DCA I am okay with in the back lot. A whole land devoted to Pixar characters, Well I like they have something for my litte one. But It does not fit the theme to me.
As for the best of the parks. Well THey are two toatlly different things in my view.
When going for the day I chose one or the other. Very rarely do I do both in the same day. If I want a nice long relazing day it is DL. And there is definetly a magic in the air. DCA is exactly what Disney had imaged, for my family. It is a place I can take my daughter and we both can enjoy our day in a safe enviorment. And because I have a pass it does not have to cost me an arm and a leg. SO it comes down to what I feel like that day as to which park is the best. They both serve their own purpose with me and I am glad I have the opprotuinity to have both to visit.

Pat-n-Eil
06-02-2005, 01:37 PM

1. Disneyland
3. Knott's Berry Farm
5. SeaWorld San Diego
6. DCA
7. LEGOLAND

Hmm... I'd go this way..

1. Disneyland
2. DCA
3. Knott's Berry Farm
5. Universal Studios Hollywood
6. SeaWorld San Diego
7. Legoland

The reason I rank 5, 6 & 7 that way is I consider those places "one and done" for the most part.. Been there, done that - don't have much desire to do it again.

Knott's has kind of a nostalgia for me as I remember fondly an early trip there as a little kid that set my affinity for it. Plus the chicken dinner and especially the creamy chicken noodle soup are very good. :)

It has been many many years since I've visited Magic Mountain, so this ranking is based on old data, but hey - go with what you know right? ;)

disneyhound
06-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Walts dreamland, not Eisners quagmire...

Disney Vault
06-02-2005, 03:21 PM

1. Disneyland
3. Knott's Berry Farm
5. SeaWorld San Diego
6. DCA
7. LEGOLAND
I would go:

1. Disneyland (by far!)
2. DCA
3. Universal Studios
4. Magic Mountain (But that isn't even close to universal studios imo)

And those are the only ones I have been to in CA.

pisces
06-02-2005, 03:52 PM
A better question is: Which park do you think has lived up to its potential?

Which park has not realized its full potential?

I think we all know the answer to that one.

MY TOP-TEN
1. (tie) Disneyland, Knotts
2. Seaworld
3. Los Angeles Zoo
4. San Diego Wild Animal Park
5. DCA
6. Birch Aquarium at Scripps (La Jolla)
7. Universal Studios
8. Six Flags Magic Mountain
9. Queen Mary
10. Balboa Fun Zone (Newport Beach)

SCUBAbe
06-02-2005, 04:36 PM
I spend more time in DCA on my visits..:)

pirateabbie
06-02-2005, 06:23 PM
I just don't understand why so many people seem to have such an aversion with the Pixar characters in DCA. Is it that you don't like the movies or the characters or that you don't think they belong in the park? If it's the latter, is there anyplace you think they do belong. For the last ten years children have grown up with these characters. Why shouldn't they be able to see them in either DL or DCA?

rentayenta
06-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Disneyland!

bradk
06-02-2005, 06:40 PM
i don't think they belong in a park that's supposed to pay tribute to california. that's the concept behind a theme park. i really don't mind seeing cowboy woody or buzz light year in disneyland (as i have pics of them both), but for me, it's like going to yosemite national park and seeing the incredibles walking around and waving to people.

i'd have the same problem if dca was overrun by traditional disney characters. sure, there's the occasional character in the animation building, but it's a trace amount compared to pixar.

bug's land, turtle talk, the happiest faces on earth (all pixar related), blockparty bash, monsters, inc, etc. you have to admit, it's not exactly subtle