PDA

View Full Version : Which hotel would you stay at?

CrazyMouse
06-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Would you guys perfer the Disneyland Hotel or the Paradise Pier Hotel? Thanks guys! Any info about the hotels would be great.

Mark Mywords
06-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Disneyland hotel. Better pool, better atmosphere and you're closer to the action.

MouseWife
06-01-2005, 03:37 PM
I've never stayed at the DH but I have the PP. I enjoyed it, for one reason, it wasn't as congested at the DH. Being more popular, more people would hang out there.

But that's just me.

BTMichael
06-01-2005, 04:05 PM
I've never stayed at the DH but I have the PP. I enjoyed it, for one reason, it wasn't as congested at the DH. Being more popular, more people would hang out there.

But that's just me.
We used to like Paradise Pier before it became PP, when it was the Disneyland Pacific Hotel. The main reason: the shuttles they used during the years they were constructing DCA. A nice and easy ride during the hot months of July and August (our usual visit time). Now, the walk from PP to DL (and back) is quite a hike in the heat.

If we were choosing now between the two, I think we might lean towards DH, although we do like that PP is a less hectic hotel to stay at. But our stay at the GCH two years ago pretty much ruined it for us on either the DH or PP! :D

Zigen
06-01-2005, 04:12 PM

But that's just me.

I would stay at DLH if I had the choice.

Never stayed at the PP but we love the DLH. Just so much more to do and a little closer to DTD/monorail. It just seems more like Disney...

MouseWife
06-01-2005, 04:13 PM
We used to like Paradise Pier before it became PP, when it was the Disneyland Pacific Hotel. The main reason: the shuttles they used during the years they were constructing DCA. A nice and easy ride during the hot months of July and August (our usual visit time). Now, the walk from PP to DL (and back) is quite a hike in the heat.

If we were choosing now between the two, I think we might lean towards DH, although we do like that PP is a less hectic hotel to stay at. But our stay at the GCH two years ago pretty much ruined it for us on either the DH or PP! :D

Oh yeah...very good point about the shuttle. That was great. Why did they do away with that??? Because of DCA? I thought it was still running while they were building DCA?

Ooooh, yeah....GCH totally ruined it for us, too. If we can't stay there, we'll stay anyplace else because it really won't matter anyways..... :(

BTMichael
06-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Oh yeah...very good point about the shuttle. That was great. Why did they do away with that??? Because of DCA? I thought it was still running while they were building DCA?
The shuttles were running during our August 2000 visit, prior to DCA opening in February 2001. I believe they were a temporary solution since they added the parking area behind what is now PP to make up for the lost parking due to DCA.

Actually, there is some logic (sneaky, in my opinion) to what they did to PP visitors. Without the shuttles, a PP visitor either (a) enters DCA across the street (forcing some people into DCA), (b) walks through GCH on the way to DL (enticing would-be GCH visitors for the future), or (c) walks down toward DH and through Downtown Disney to DL ($$$ for shops and restaurants).

I have to admit, (b) is what did us in during our August 2001 visit. We stayed at the GCH during our August 2003 visit (tried offsite during 2002). We will be returning this August 2005 for a 5 day trip. :)

bradk
06-01-2005, 04:29 PM
the way you have to look at it is neither the DLH (despite its name) or PPH are originally DLR hotels. When those hotels were built, there was nothing along Harbor (that may be technically inaccurate, but just go with me).

DLR bought them and worked with them, but they were still designed to be the only choices for hotels in the area. GCH was designed by Disney from the ground up.

So if you have to stay at a DLR hotel, you should try for GCH. If money is the primary restriction, PPH (or DLH if you can swing it, between the two, I'd suggest DLH like everyone else does).

if you don't have to stay at a DLR hotel, there are a lot of nice hotels along harbor that are even closer than DLH.

pisces
06-01-2005, 06:32 PM
One thing about the PPH is that, if you get a theme park view, you can turn the lights out, and watch the EP from the privacy of your guest room window. I think you might also be able to get the music that goes along with it.

So, I consider that a major plus with the PPH.

Assuming the EP stays, and doesn't get cancelled :rolleyes: -----as has been rumored.

CrazyMouse
06-01-2005, 07:45 PM
One thing about the PPH is that, if you get a theme park view, you can turn the lights out, and watch the EP from the privacy of your guest room window. I think you might also be able to get the music that goes along with it.

So, I consider that a major plus with the PPH.

Assuming the EP stays, and doesn't get cancelled :rolleyes: -----as has been rumored.

EP?

bradk
06-01-2005, 07:55 PM
technically it's DEP, or the artist formerly known as MSEP. Disney's Electrical Parade which was displaced to DCA in response to a large major outcry after it was removed from DL (Main Street Electrical Parade).

someone had mentioned on here a while ago that there's been talk of moving the parade to Hong Kong (I believe), which if I'm not mistaken has already caused the Tarzan stage show in WDW to close so it can be relocated to the new park as well.

By the way, in my opinion, while it's nice to be in the comfort of your own room, it's no way to experience a parade. I've been going to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade for the past few years and while I envy every single person who is able to get up just a few moments before the parade starts so they can watch from their hotel room or office, I also know that I wouldn't change places with them in the world because of all they're missing.

sediment
06-01-2005, 08:02 PM
If this is the last time you'll be going to DL, then the DL Hotel.
Otherwise, do one, and then next trip do the next. Then you'll know first-hand.

hlbtimes2
06-01-2005, 08:51 PM
I asked this same question a couple months ago. We ended up booking PP. The DL only had a very expensive option available for our dates. It would have cost us an extra $500-600 for our trip. It wasnt in the budget. We then had to choose between PP and GC. It was a hard choice. GC would have been nice, but it would have been a regular room- no conc. service or view. At PP, for a few $$ less we have conc. level and a theme park view. The reservation agent said its what he would have picked given the choices.

We are on a budget, so we are hoping the conc. service will save us at least a few dollars on snacks, pop/ water and breakfast.

SCUBAbe
06-01-2005, 09:08 PM
I've stayed in the PPH hotel twice. I liked it both times. The only time I was in the rooms at the Dl hotel I was drunk and just visiting someone...ok making sure they got back to their room safely...LOL..it was a large room though, but nothing remarkable stand out in my memory. I seem to remember it being dingy.....or I was just more drunk than I thought...:) I loved the GCH...:)

Disney Vault
06-01-2005, 09:20 PM
I would say the DL Hotel. They really need to open up the private entrance for the PP Hotel before I would consider staying there.

Barbossa
06-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Would you guys perfer the Disneyland Hotel or the Paradise Pier Hotel? Thanks guys! Any info about the hotels would be great.

We've stayed at both. Our stay at the Disneyland Hotel was very nice. Our stay at Paradise Pier, however, was terrible. Our "non-smoking" room was blowing air that must have been piped in from a smoking floor. This would have been bad enough, but the hotel staff summarily ignored our complaints about it. I've received better service at Motel 6 for an eighth of the cost. It's made me a bit skittish about planning a major trip to WDW, for example. It'd kill me to plunk down thousands of dollars only to receive similar treatment.

BTMichael
06-03-2005, 06:14 PM
We've stayed at both. Our stay at the Disneyland Hotel was very nice. Our stay at Paradise Pier, however, was terrible. Our "non-smoking" room was blowing air that must have been piped in from a smoking floor. This would have been bad enough, but the hotel staff summarily ignored our complaints about it. I've received better service at Motel 6 for an eighth of the cost. It's made me a bit skittish about planning a major trip to WDW, for example. It'd kill me to plunk down thousands of dollars only to receive similar treatment.
All the more reason to stay at the Grand Californian. The entire hotel is non-smoking, not just selected rooms or floors.

Rhiannon8404
06-03-2005, 08:11 PM
So far we have only stayed at the PP and GCH. Our first stay on DLR property was at the GCH, it was wonderful. I wish we could always stay there. Our next trip finances were tighter and we stayed at the PP. It was not bad. It would have been nice if the private entrance to DCA was still open. It was a bit of a walk.

Starting Sunday we will be at the DLH for 4 nights.