PDA

View Full Version : DL Restaurants - Adults from Kids Menu

DizMagic
05-31-2005, 10:47 AM
At WDW most all of the restaurants are really accepting of adults ordering from the kids' menu. Is this an acceptable practice at DL? I have a really small stomach and often times, actually prefer the food on the children's menu.

05-31-2005, 10:58 AM
I can't answer your question directly. We have so many experts on this board that you'll have lots of info.

Another way to go is to split an order with someone in your party. My two teen girls and I did this a lot last fall - yes, a three-way split on some entrees left us each with enough to eat.

And some of the restaurants are self-serve: French Market and Redd Rockett's come to mind. How would they know if that kid's portion is for you or not?

evrythngwmn
05-31-2005, 10:59 AM
The bulk of Disneylands food service is not table service but I believe what is called buffeteria or cafeteria style. I get childrens meals often but I don't generally make an announcement that it's for me.

disneyochem
05-31-2005, 11:09 AM
I always try and order a child's meal for myself if I like the food. I usually don't announce to the food service people that it is for me and have never had a problem. Nobody has ever questioned it or looked at me strangely. My biggest problem is that I don't usually like the food in a kid's meal and I try to talk my kids into sharing my adult meal! LOL, last time I was at Croc n Bits at DLH, I ordered the kid's cheeseburger with a margarita! I got a couple of comments and laughs from the waitperson!

Surfingstitch
05-31-2005, 11:20 AM
I have never had a problem ordering off of the kid menu's. They don't ask who it is for.

Wendi
05-31-2005, 11:32 AM
I've never had a problem with this. Another little known fact is that most restaurants will let you order an adult-sized portion of anything on the kid's menu as well.

Niwel
05-31-2005, 12:36 PM
I've ordered a PB&J at the DCA Tratorria -- with a glass of wine. :) I got a smile and a laugh -- but they brought it

rentayenta
05-31-2005, 12:48 PM
I've ordered a PB&J at the DCA Tratorria -- with a glass of wine. :) I got a smile and a laugh -- but they brought it

Very cute!

TikiGeek
05-31-2005, 12:52 PM
I've ordered a PB&J at the DCA Tratorria -- with a glass of wine. :) I got a smile and a laugh -- but they brought itWhat wine pairs well with PB&J? :D

hlbtimes2
05-31-2005, 12:52 PM
The only places I can see it being a problem, in the park, is the sit down meals (Blue Bayou, Carnation Cafe, Plaza princess breakfast). But, as many of the others have said, if its counter or cafeteria type service they would have no idea who you are buying a meal for.

Niwel
05-31-2005, 12:59 PM
What wine pairs well with PB&J? :D

It was a wine they no longer make -- Moscato Bianco (a very sweet dessert wine that went with the jelly). Moscato D'oro also works but isn't quite as sweet.

When I'm not getting wine, I order kids meals anyway -- Plaza Inn serves just the right portion of chicken, mashed potatos, biscuit, drink, applesauce and straw :)

QueenAlisha
05-31-2005, 01:08 PM
i order off the kids menu all the time and never have had a problem. However, it has nothing to do with me having a small stomach, i am a pig, but i like to save room for junk food. lol...good thing i dont have kids to set an example for.

Lani
05-31-2005, 01:14 PM
However, it has nothing to do with me having a small stomach, i am a pig, but i like to save room for junk food.Actually, you have a good idea.

TikiGeek
05-31-2005, 01:22 PM
...but i like to save room for junk food. life is short, eat dessert first! ;)

sierranevada
05-31-2005, 01:51 PM
My sister ordered off the kids menu at Napa Rose with no problem - she actually had the better meal than the other two adults!

briar_rose
05-31-2005, 02:42 PM
I went to Catal with some friends and since it was the last full day of the trip we didn't have a whole lot of cash left (we had to eat in DTD in under and hour and Catal was the only restaurant with a wait of less than 90 mins) and when we asked if we could order off the kids menu (we were all around 15) they told us no and that we should try the uva bar because it was cheaper. I don't know if they always say no, I haven't been back since. Sorry for the long post...

kimbopotamus
05-31-2005, 05:14 PM
I had dinner at the Blue Bayou in April with a finicky 14 year old who could not find anything on the adult menu to suit her tastes. The waiter suggested an adult-size portion of the Mickey Nuggets, which was huge, 1/2 the price of the adult dinners, and she loved!

experiment626
05-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Never had a problem ordering a kids meal at any Disney restaurant.

PragmaticIdealist
06-01-2005, 03:17 AM
I went to Catal with some friends and since it was the last full day of the trip we didn't have a whole lot of cash left (we had to eat in DTD in under and hour and Catal was the only restaurant with a wait of less than 90 mins) and when we asked if we could order off the kids menu (we were all around 15) they told us no and that we should try the uva bar because it was cheaper. I don't know if they always say no, I haven't been back since. Sorry for the long post...

Joachim Splichal's Patina Group operates Catal, so it probably has a different policy than the one Disneyland has. I know Disney, itself, really doesn't care because I order a vegetarian bean burrito from the children's menu at Rancho del Zocolo fairly often. All the items from the adult menu there are less healthy and most include animal products of some sort, so, at least, Rancho del Zocolo is flexible. The case may be different at table-service restaurants; buffeteria- and counter-service restaurants are really not in a position to prohibit adults from buying items from the children's menu, anyway.

Courtney Anne
06-04-2005, 10:59 PM
last march when me and my son went we both had kids meal from the restuarant next to soarin - we got these little green boxes with the muppets on them - and we had mini hamburgers (i think) and chicken nuggets -- \plus my favorite part the potato smiles - i have even found those smiley faces in the frozen section of the super walmart - i love eating them - even if my kid isn't visiting that day

Disneyfun
06-05-2005, 10:01 AM
I have not had a disney restruarnt say no to me yet as for getting a kids meal. AS for Catal in DTD they even charge if you share an item. so be careful! I will only go to the UV bar because they have darm good Martinis. MMMM You have not lived untill you have had one of thier martinis. The chochlate monkey is great!!!!!