PDA

View Full Version : Is Main Street A Set?

odnamraortsac
05-31-2005, 10:00 AM
During the 50th Anniversary Disneyland film starring Steve Martin and Donald Duck, there is a scene where Martin and Duck are shown on Main Street. When a wide shot is shown, you can see that the tracks for the Horse Drawn Street Car are missing. My conclusion is that this is a set. A very good set, but a set. There are also other clues like the door to the Magic Shop being closed as if they didn't want to go to the expense of recreating the interior. And the tree next to the Magic Shop is shown with fencing around it when in reality this fence does not exist. Anyone agree with me that this is a fake Main Street?

evrythngwmn
05-31-2005, 10:01 AM
I thought it looked kind of not quite right but couldn't put my finger on it. I'll have to look more closely next time I see the movie.

averagedork
05-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Also the curb height is too high. I only realized this because I've been known to fall off curbs and that height would really mess with me, but the ones at Disneyland don't.

Plus look at it, the clothing the people wear is wrong. I have one of the same shirts that the girl wears in the background and it doesn't look like that all. No one wears the Mickey shirts tucked in.

stan4d_steph
05-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Yes, it's a set. If you look, there are no tracks for the Main St. vehicles in the road's pavement.

Niwel
05-31-2005, 10:09 AM
When i saw that I thought something was off, too. It is a set ... probably filmed at the Burbank Studios...

bradk
05-31-2005, 10:10 AM
there was actually something else my guide on the 50th tour pointed out, but i can't remember what it was, but it may come to me. i think it had something to do with some sounds that occur on main street in the film that don't actually exist in the park. some kind of bell or whistle or something.

on the topic of the film, she also pointed out something neat about it. she said it was steve martin's idea to say 'i feel bad' when he did what he did to donald in the film and because it was so well received, they actually had to go and re-animate 6 more seconds of donald to fill in the newly added length.

Mommy2NicknMax
05-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Okay, this makes sense now. I have another question, how about the balloons. There are people walking past with Mickey head balloons. They sell these at the park but at the park they have a clear balloon around them. In this movie and at the end of Mupet Vision 3D, they don't have that clear balloon on the outside. Are you supposed to take that off or do they do it maybe for filming reasons? :confused:

millionairegirl
05-31-2005, 10:18 AM
They used to sell those balloons without the clear one around it. I don't know why they don't anymore, but I vividly remember the old standard mickey balloons (because I never got one! cheap dad *grumble grumble*)