PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to the Soarin' Staff

hbquikcomjamesl
01-28-2002, 11:59 AM
I cannot possibly adequately thank the late-afternoon shift at Soarin' this past Sunday. It seems that I got about halfway out to the front of Condor Flats when I realized that my umbrella was still on Soarin. This was about 3:45-3:50.

I promptly made a U-turn, and explained the problem to the cast members at the entrance. They called up the tower on the side I'd been on, and alerted them to it; unfortunately the next cycle was already in progress. At the end of the cycle, it failed to turn up, but they sent me down the exit ramp to wait out another cycle and check for myself.

It was kind of remarkable how I was able to follow the progress just by what I could hear through the exit doors. As I heard the fireworks, I moved closer to the doors, quickly slipped in ahead of the stampede, and identified myself to the CM as "the guy with the umbrella." Not ten seconds after I'd done so, and started checking the under-seat nets, a young guest practically waved the umbrella in front of my face, presumably to turn it in as "lost-and-found."

Happy ending (but you can bet that I thanked the guest and her family, and explained that I'd had to wait out two cycles to retrieve it, as I was going back up the exit ramp).

I thanked the CMs at the entrance (saluting them with the umbrella, as with a sword), then the rain started.

I missed Millionaire (because I had a 5:15 Blast! ticket, and given a choice between Millionaire and Blast!, you can guess. . .), but got the umbrella back (and I can see Millionaire anytime); I ended up doing the Boudin exhibit (where there was actually something going on in the "fishbowl": a whole rack of boules was being rolled out of the proofer, and scored for the oven.) Speaking of Boudin: did they just recently add the big window into the "mother dough" room?

Later yesterday evening, after spending some time in DL, I returned to DCA, found Guest Relations, and filed a formal "Attaboy!" to the entire Soarin' staff. Even now, I don't think I've adequately thanked them.

bluepearl
01-28-2002, 01:42 PM
Glad to hear you had such a pleasant experience with the CMs there! I was in the Single Rider entrance once with my friend and we were laughing hysterically (when you get this certain group of us together we get really crazy), and the CMs were trying to get into the conversation, "No laughing! No really, no laughing!" So on and so forth. It was pretty funny. They're usually pretty nice. I wouldn't have wanted to miss Blast either! ;)

Iceman
01-28-2002, 10:37 PM
What a relief it is to read a positive cast member story, and at California Adventure no less! Sure there are the occasional cast members who shouldn't be, but I think Disney overall does an admirable job with hiring and training. Some of the Disney fanatics here get so used to bashing the company that they don't appreciate the quality of employees Disney gets!

Gemini Cricket
01-28-2002, 10:39 PM
My good experiences with DL CMs way outnumber the bad experiences. In fact, a lot of the CMs are Masters of Disneyland Knowledge. I love to learn new things when I kindly grill them for info. Some see me coming and are still nice! :)

Nigel2
01-28-2002, 11:08 PM
Wasn't Soarin' rumored to have snotty cms as well. Well its good to know that isn't true, and that you got your umbrella back so soon.:D

bluepearl
01-28-2002, 11:17 PM
Nigel2: I wouldn't count that out!

I think I've had all sorts of CMs when on Soarin'. I could even name some of them - the ones I see all the time (obviously I'm there way too much!). Sometimes I get so used to seeing some CMs on that ride that one time I spotted one walking around in a Tomorrowland costume and was like, "Hey, did he move over to DL?" But anyway, there's a female CM there that was really nice; I overheard her having a pleasant conversation with a Guest and I thought it was really great of her to take the time to exchange a few words with a Guest.

Nigel2
01-28-2002, 11:30 PM
Oh well then.... I have nothing to say about how some are bad. It is still good to know that they are changing a little.:D

But I don't understand why they say GRR people are snotty?:confused:

tabacco
01-28-2002, 11:52 PM
all the CMs I've met from both GRR and Soarin' have been terrific. Haven't run into a snotty one yet.

Nigel2
01-29-2002, 12:26 AM
Yeah, neither have I come to think of it. Still who says they are snotty. The only ones that I don't like are the ones for SSL, its just creepy to be told over and over again that I am a "superstar" (like I didn't know that already:D )