PDA

View Full Version : Got a couple of questions... (Dole whips and mint juleps)

Vegitabeta
05-30-2005, 01:29 AM
Ok, I know someone can answer these ;)

1. Where abouts is the stand that sells the dole whips etc. I know it's next to the tiki room, but that was all closed when I was there so like, I don't know where to look.

2. Also, what is a mint julep and where can I find one. Didn't get one of those when I was there last time either, ahhh what a deprived child :p...only joking.

Any answers are appreciated!

disney jones
05-30-2005, 02:07 AM
1. you have it right - it's right there at the Tiki Room entrance, and can be accesed both outside the attraction, or inside the queuing area for the attraction.

2. A Mint Julep is Bourbon whiskey, water, sugar, and a few sprigs of mint and you can find one pretty much any place that serves alcoholic beverages. :D (if you are old enough :rolleyes: ). Oh, you mean at Disneyland??? :p Pretty much the same as described above, sans the bourbon whiskey, and they are served at the Mint Julep Bar in New Orleans Square right across from the Train Station there.

Mint Juleps are reknowned from the Kentucky Derby. I had my first one there at Churchill Downs (but not at the Derby itself) - they are a Southern drink, and the mint helps the bourbon go down very smoothly - just google 'mint julep' and you'll learn about the origins and traditions.

Vegitabeta
05-30-2005, 02:29 AM
Thank you disney jones! Cute avatar btw.

bradk
05-30-2005, 03:15 AM
here's a VALUABLE tip for the dole juice bar, which i can give now that i've actually been to it.

the line for the bar outside can grow pretty long, especially since it seems that the machine has a nice habit for breaking down a lot, so when it's working again, the vultures swarm in (i.e., no line = most likely problems). the line inside the attraction is usually not as full. they go back and forth between the inside/outside lines.

so if there's an outside line (and it won't move as fast as you'd like to think), go into the attraction and go to the other side of the bar. you'll most likely get served quicker and you can just exit the attraction the same way you came in (the turnstiles go both ways).

as for the mint julep, it's also served at the Blue Bayou. I had the opportunity to try it during the fantasmic balcony seating (where it was also served). it's kind of a sweet, limey (?) drink. maybe a little tart. i'd like to say it's like limeade. i wasn't a big fan of it myself (but i did love the dole whip float).

crazi4dlr
05-30-2005, 08:39 AM
as for the mint julep, it's also served at the Blue Bayou. I had the opportunity to try it during the fantasmic balcony seating (where it was also served). it's kind of a sweet, limey (?) drink. maybe a little tart. i'd like to say it's like limeade. i wasn't a big fan of it myself (but i did love the dole whip float).

the mint julep is served at the French Market restaurant in NOS as well. You don't have to wait in the line for food, just go to the drink station and then out. It's not "limey" at all, actually the mint julep at DL is a sweet mint tea-like drink and if you like mint, it's great. Most posts I have read really put down mint julep but I have loved it since I was a kid in the 60's and I still love it today. Try it for yourself and find out if you are a fan. Just my .02

Vegitabeta
05-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks for that guys, I think we might be visiting the Blue Bayou on our upcoming trip so I'll jus get a mint julep there. :)

experiment626
05-30-2005, 10:11 AM
I always thought it tasted like a mint flavored lemonade.

Here is a receipe I found

Disneyland mint julep
Yield: 24 Servings

Ingredients:

* 3 lb Sugar
* 1 ga Water
* 1 pt Creme de menthe syrup Topping
* 1/2 6-oz can frozen limeade -concentrate
* 1/2 6-oz can frozen lemonade

Instructions:

-concentrate Fresh mint sprigs -- for Garnish Maraschino cherries -- for Garnish Fresh pineapple pieces -- For garnish Combine sugar and water in a large kettle and bring to a boil. Add creme de menthe syrup limeade and lemonade concentrates. Stir and chill. Serve in tall glasses with sprigs of mint maraschino cherries and pineapple pieces if desired. Makes 24 (1-cup) servings. Entered into MasterCook by Terri Law 8/22/96. Recipe By : Los Angeles Times (old clipping)

From http://www.elook.org/recipes/american/975.html

SportyTink
05-30-2005, 01:14 PM
I ALWAYS get the mint Julep at the Frenshc Market (my fav place for lunch). I like it a little bubbly though so I always do 3/4 Mint Julep and 1/4 Sprite. The flavor is great gives it just a little kick!

UncleGDogWord
05-30-2005, 01:31 PM
I always get my Julep with no ice. I figure I am paying 2.50 for a 16 oz drink I should get a full 16 oz drink.

KarenW2
05-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Just to let you know, it depends on how the Dole CM is working the line at the Tiki Room, as to whether or not you're able to get thru the line faster, if you go to the inside line. The outside line was very long when we were there on 5-26, so I mentioned the inside line "tip" to my hubby. There was no one on the inside line, but the CM working waited until she'd served everyone in the outside line, before she went to him, so it ended up taking a lot longer!! Unfortunately, there is no other place to purchase a Dole Whip.

I always thought of the current park Mint Julep (they were better in the past!) as watered down mouthwash. Not a fan here. But then I'm not a fan of the real thing either!! The alcoholic version (emphasis on the alcohol!!) can be purchased at Club 33, GCH's Hearthstone Lounge (if they have the ingredients, they don't always!) or Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen.

The drink is SOOOOO strong, when my hubby was dining alone at RBJK (he'd dropped me off for a meeting), the waitress asked him if he was driving. When he told her he was, she told him she could not sell him one, since it was so strong! So the next time we stayed at the resort, he got one, since all he had to do was walk back to our hotel! I took a taste of it and never wanted another one. He enjoyed it tho.

Doodle Duck
05-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Over the years I keep forgetting that the DL Mint Julip is akin to a semi-weak Mr. Clean solution...but when I buy one I remember.

CrazyTrain
06-01-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm too scared to try one of these. :eek:

Vegitabeta
06-01-2005, 08:56 AM
I'll be brave and try one when I get there, although the Dole Whip sounds safer I must admit!

Mark Mywords
06-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I love me a mint julep! Always have to get one as soon as we get to NOS.
I make the homemade version when I'm really missing the park.

It's a very "Subtle" drink. Sorta a strange mix between tea and soda (but no carbonation).

Disneyfun
06-01-2005, 01:49 PM
I also remember the Mint Jule to be better years ago. I thouhg it was just my memory I guess they changed the recipe. I also always thought it was just a green shirly temple. Meaning seven up with mint juice. See what I learned today! :eek:

T&Rshep
06-01-2005, 02:12 PM
I always have a mint julep at the BB with my monte cristo. Yum!

mystycalchyk
06-01-2005, 02:13 PM
I love the mint julips. I dont like carbonated drinks though so Im so glad it's not made with that. It's a refreshing minty drink. It's strong I guess but not in a bad way. It's just refreshing IMO. Less like tea since I dont taste any tea in it, more like a minty koolaid but not sacharrine sweet like koolaid either...if that makes sense.

Emma
06-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Count my vote for HATING Mint Juleps.

It's like drinking minty cough syrup.

Or gasoline.

bradk
06-01-2005, 03:00 PM
maybe i just had a bad one, but i don't really remember the minty taste. mint to me suggests fresh. the only thing minty was the color.

it was very syrupy, i guess that's a better word to use than my original definition tart. my insides did feel a lot cleaner after i polished off the drink (and my insides)

iwannabeanimagineer
06-06-2005, 01:53 PM
I always get my Julep with no ice. I figure I am paying 2.50 for a 16 oz drink I should get a full 16 oz drink.

The last 2 times I had a mint julep at the French Market, they told me I can have unlimited refills that day and that I should just come back through the doors behind the cashiers, show them my receipt and empty glass and help myself. I made a point of keeping the cup and the receipt and sitting near the French Market during Fantasmic. :D

splashmtngurl
06-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Just a thought on the mint julep.....my mom got one when we were down there last and i thought it tasted horribly like mouthwash, or toothpaste....something like that. I would certainly choose the dolewhip over the mint julep.....i think it might be one of those things that requires special taste.....sort of like wine? Anyway there's my 2 cents!

Mark Mywords
06-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Hey! Look what I found:

http://www.jaswholesale.com/products/details.phtml?ss=b%07dole%20whip%07c%07%07a%07S%07 e%071%07g%074%07f%07181%07z%07e27c

Now, if I only had a soft-serve machine lying around somewhere...

GrumpyUTboi
06-06-2005, 06:39 PM
YUCK! Mint Julip made me gag to the point that I thought that I was going to lose the very expensive Bleu Bayou lunch that I had just purchased. Anaheim water tastes far superior to that of the MINT JULIP.

Emma
06-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Hey! Look what I found:

http://www.jaswholesale.com/products/details.phtml?ss=b%07dole%20whip%07c%07%07a%07S%07 e%071%07g%074%07f%07181%07z%07e27c

Now, if I only had a soft-serve machine lying around somewhere...

Ohmygoodness, that is very cool. :)

Shortiemetoo
06-06-2005, 07:30 PM
I can't believe that I have never tried a mint julep....or a dole whip... it seems like almost every time I am at DL the dole whip machine is broken or the tiki room is closed...sheesh...must mean its time to go to DL again! ;)